As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix is almost upsettingly well-animated and voiced.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Yeah it's very odd

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Seriously, after so many mediocre-to-bad Seuss adaptations I'm downright shocked this is getting great reviews.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzBpIU-L78

My first thought was 'Hazbin Hotel got a spin-off already?'

Then it was 'hey, that's the voice guy for Zim, this is like a real thing and not an internet animation? Can't be Hazbin related.'

Then I saw the news demon lady on a billboard and I was 'oh wait, this is related to Hazbin?!'

Yeah, it's a whole thing apparently! Need to read more on the story behind these works.

H9f4bVe.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Is the issue that the symbol is kinda sorta similar to the star and crescent?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think it's supposed to more evoke the Shriners' scimitar and moon:
    v1uxducaugup.png

Elvenshae on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think that the golden curved + straight shapes on a red background evoke the USSR flag at a glance. Nothing scares a megacorp more than the specter of communism.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I think that the golden curved + straight shapes on a red background evoke the USSR flag at a glance. Nothing scares a megacorp more than the specter of communism.

Nah, what really scares them are lawyers, and the Shriners are protective of their trade dress.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Apparently its only missing in the first 13 episodes, before the design of it was actually altered slightly in the show. It's there for the rest of the series.

Viskod wrote: »
    Apparently its only missing in the first 13 episodes, before the design of it was actually altered slightly in the show. It's there for the rest of the series.

Apparently it was removed before in other parts of the world to avoid accidentally offending other religions, but wound up being the "official" version for Hulu.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    So as most of you probably know, Wakfu's been on Netflix for a while now, and I've been slowly watching it per the forum's suggestion. I just finished season 2, and it has been quite awesome so far. But apparently there's a time jump before season 3, and it sounds like I should watch the OVAs in between. These don't seem to be on Netflix, unfortunately.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Infinity Train is getting a second season:

https://youtu.be/9livZeXARWU

Their expanding on Mirror Tulip and what her desire to be her own person means is going to be interesting, since that got barely touched on in the original.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Is there where discussion for 3D animated stuff would go? Saw Frozen 2 yesterday with my daughters and enjoyed it a lot. Reviews seem to be solidly meh and I feel like I watched a different movie from them!

edited November 2019
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Is there where discussion for 3D animated stuff would go? Saw Frozen 2 yesterday with my daughters and enjoyed it a lot. Reviews seem to be solidly meh and I feel like I watched a different movie from them!

Yep, right here. 2D, 3D, 4D, hell, we even talk about 5D!
    309863-53677-mr-mxyzptlk.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    So as most of you probably know, Wakfu's been on Netflix for a while now, and I've been slowly watching it per the forum's suggestion. I just finished season 2, and it has been quite awesome so far. But apparently there's a time jump before season 3, and it sounds like I should watch the OVAs in between. These don't seem to be on Netflix, unfortunately.

I think they're available under their own listing on Netflix. Search for "the Quest for the Six Eliatrope Dofus", see if that turns up anything.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just watched Klaus on netflix. It was very good.

I could wish for a slightly different ending, one I feel would be more in keeping with the themes of the movie.
    Movie Spoilers (all the way to the ending):
    I was expecting for the ending to be that Jasper and Alva to take over running the toy shop and delivering toys to children after Klaus's passing. Make it an inherited or legacy position.

I was expecting that to be the final push of the film's central thesis, that of "A true act of goodwill always sparks another."

But I'm not dissatisfied with the ending presented.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The use of color and lighting from the beginning of the movie to the end is a real treat.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »

Yep, right here. 2D, 3D, 4D, hell, we even talk about 5D!
    309863-53677-mr-mxyzptlk.jpg
    I just hope there aren't any cheap 3D tricks
    "Did someone say cheap 3D tricks??"
    t2yln9nsdwhs.jpg

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay. It's weird. Not bad, but weird.

H9f4bVe.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Well, i want more Stolas, because lonely owl demon is great.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Well, it turns out that Disney+ has Legend Of The Three Caballeros. Looks like I've found something to binge.

Also, never call a minotaur's mother a cheeseburger.

Well, it turns out that Disney+ has Legend Of The Three Caballeros. Looks like I've found something to binge.

I feel like they made this before the new Ducktales came out because it seems more like a mid 90s Disney cartoon and also apparently theres a human later and that bugs me

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I watched ep 1 of Harley Quinn and liked it a lot. Some good visual gags and a lot more jokes that landed for me than not. On my phone so I might wait to write a longer review after a few more episodes, but I thought it had a good balance of like being referential without going overly meta (aka wannabe deadpool disorder) and having a pretty dark sense of humor without being edgy.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    I watched ep 1 of Harley Quinn and liked it a lot. Some good visual gags and a lot more jokes that landed for me than not. On my phone so I might wait to write a longer review after a few more episodes, but I thought it had a good balance of like being referential without going overly meta (aka wannabe deadpool disorder) and having a pretty dark sense of humor without being edgy.

But does she have the rare double ass?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Wait, what?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Wait, what?

There was an animation error in the Harley Quinn movie that gave her two butts in one scene.

emnmnme wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Wait, what?

There was an animation error in the Harley Quinn movie that gave her two butts in one scene.

Ah, thank you.

Now to not try to google that.

Nope.

No sir.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

The whole thing has a very Venture Bros. Guild of Calamitous Intent vibe that I am here for.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin

It's really good! And the animation quality is stellar. And I'll never pass up an opportunity to see Wayne Knight being Wayne Knight.

Frankly I'm a little baffled something of this quality was held back for so long (there's a hoverboard reference, for chrissake) for the streaming service and then Disney did diddly shit to promote it.

• painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

dnwekxzsbjsc.jpg
    Look at this character design. It's perfect.

painfulPleasance on

dnwekxzsbjsc.jpg
    Look at this character design. It's perfect.

Oh, so that's where he comes from - he's an end dungeon boss in FFXIV.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

The whole thing has a very Venture Bros. Guild of Calamitous Intent vibe that I am here for.

The first episode was quite funny but I can't wait for it to mature a bit and for the writers to get over their censorship-free high. Some of the gore stuff just felt like "oh look we are doing an R rated cartoon lets do everything we couldn't do before..right now"

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »

The first episode was quite funny but I can't wait for it to mature a bit and for the writers to get over their censorship-free high. Some of the gore stuff just felt like "oh look we are doing an R rated cartoon lets do everything we couldn't do before..right now"

That will be nice. Like in keeping with the whole Venture Bros. comparison, my favorite bit was probably
    Poison Ivy collaborating with Riddler to set up a crazy scheme for Harley's benefit as payback for Ivy's breakout, having it involve 150 gallons of margarita mix to stand-in as "acid".

Riddler, singsong: "I told you to get a Costco card!"
    Ivy: "And I told you I only go there once a year so it doesn't pay for itself, chief!"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »

That will be nice. Like in keeping with the whole Venture Bros. comparison, my favorite bit was probably
    Poison Ivy collaborating with Riddler to set up a crazy scheme for Harley's benefit as payback for Ivy's breakout, having it involve 150 gallons of margarita mix to stand-in as "acid".

Riddler, singsong: "I told you to get a Costco card!"
    Ivy: "And I told you I only go there once a year so it doesn't pay for itself, chief!"

The banter is excellence.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Oh no...the feels.
    I love it.

In case anyone was wondering, the Playmobil movie opened to $656,500 in 2,337 theaters in the U.S. That’s even with the desperation move of $5 tickets.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/playmobil-box-office-5-tickets-couldnt-save-pic-disaster-1261121

Did it do any better abroad? Kinda, but it’s only made $13 million on the production cost of $75 million, and it’s long closed nearly everywhere.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I mean, no one made them make a bad looking movie based on a property most people don’t know about and literally no one has nostalgia for

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It pretty well immediately went into my "I'll watch it maybe eventually if I'm really bored and it's on a streaming service I pay for."

After all, that's where the Emoji movie landed and if I can sit through that stinker, I can sit through any animated feature.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.