As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Bad News: Man breaks into 82-year-old woman's house.

Good News: She is a bodybuilder and absolutely trucks him:
    "He picked the wrong house to break into,” she said.

Murphy says it was dark, so she was able to hide as the suspect walked through her house. She acted quickly and grabbed the closest thing she could find.

“I picked up the table, and I went to work on him,” she said. ‘The table broke.”

“And when he’s down,” she continued, “I’m jumping on him.”

She says, once the suspect was injured, she ran and grabbed a bottle of shampoo – and started pouring it on him.

“I grabbed the shampoo,” she said. “Guess what? He’s still on the ground. In his face, all of it, the whole thing.”

“I got the broom,” she continued. “He’s pulling the broom. I’m hitting him with the broom.”

OK, I don't really know about the shampoo thing but, still, good on you Willie.

I blame the roids.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Shampoo is very slippery. She probably put it on him to make it difficult for him to stand up or gain leverage to fight back.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Today in disproportionate reaction, Minnesota's Largest Candy Store responds to robbery with oversized security upgrade:
    The big yellow candy barn just off Highway 169 found itself a target for a robber who’s been cutting his way through Scott County. When this unknown thief stole money from their registers, Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store boldly upped the ante.

Now, where once there'd been a pumpkin patch, visitors will find a tank perched atop a big ol’ pile of dirt, where it presides over the sweet expanse of childlike whimsy.

It all makes for a jarring picture. Or, to borrow the words of one commenter on the store’s Facebook page, “Well that escalated quickly.”

Regardless of whether this was done merely as a publicity stunt, or the owners actually intend on using a tank as a deterrent, the very fact you can rent a tank in the US is seriously fucked up.

Other than the fact that it’s a tank, all the shooty bits that really matter are gone. Best you can do is use it to run over stuff, which can be done easier with standard construction equipment.

It is an armored all-terrain vehicle. You can absolutely do serious damage with it, and there's not much conventional* law enforcement can do to stop such a thing.

Besides, this is military grade hardware, which Civilians should not have access to.

* Sane world conventional law enforcement, so maybe not American conventional.

No, this is industrial hardware. All military capability has been stripped, reducing it what amounts to a crappy industrial vehicle that nobody knows how to service and getting spare parts for would be expensive and difficult and sucks fuel like crazy.

It's no more dangerous than a front-end loader with some steel plate welded on the cab, but I guess it's also insane that anyone would have access to industrial vehicles and welding equipment. I could go out today and rent both of those things, probably for a lot cheaper than getting a tank.

This is very much a kneejerk reaction to something that's scary-looking but is actually no different than a wide array of equipment available in the civilian world.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    In defense of front end loaders, those things are pretty fucking dangerous

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    In defense of front end loaders, those things are pretty fucking dangerous

Especially when driven/piloted by Ellen Ripley.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today in disproportionate reaction, Minnesota's Largest Candy Store responds to robbery with oversized security upgrade:
    The big yellow candy barn just off Highway 169 found itself a target for a robber who’s been cutting his way through Scott County. When this unknown thief stole money from their registers, Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store boldly upped the ante.

Now, where once there'd been a pumpkin patch, visitors will find a tank perched atop a big ol’ pile of dirt, where it presides over the sweet expanse of childlike whimsy.

It all makes for a jarring picture. Or, to borrow the words of one commenter on the store’s Facebook page, “Well that escalated quickly.”

Regardless of whether this was done merely as a publicity stunt, or the owners actually intend on using a tank as a deterrent, the very fact you can rent a tank in the US is seriously fucked up.

Other than the fact that it’s a tank, all the shooty bits that really matter are gone. Best you can do is use it to run over stuff, which can be done easier with standard construction equipment.

It is an armored all-terrain vehicle. You can absolutely do serious damage with it, and there's not much conventional* law enforcement can do to stop such a thing.

Besides, this is military grade hardware, which Civilians should not have access to.

No, this is industrial hardware. All military capability has been stripped, reducing it what amounts to a crappy industrial vehicle that nobody knows how to service and getting spare parts for would be expensive and difficult and sucks fuel like crazy.

It's no more dangerous than a front-end loader with some steel plate welded on the cab, but I guess it's also insane that anyone would have access to industrial vehicles and welding equipment. I could go out today and rent both of those things, probably for a lot cheaper than getting a tank.

This is very much a kneejerk reaction to something that's scary-looking but is actually no different than a wide array of equipment available in the civilian world.

No, it's literally what's happened with tank rampages before. They drive around till they get caught on something.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

No, it's literally what's happened with tank rampages before. They drive around till they get caught on something.

Even ones that aren't demilitarized, it's not impossible to just drive one off a base but getting it loaded with live ordinance first is going to set off a lot of alarms.

Its still a vehicle that can drive through or over any vehicle or building in the civilian world and which protects it's driver and mechanical parts in a shell that requires special weaponry to pierce.

Once somebody decides they're going to drive one through downtown it's a matter of evacuation and the wait until they run out of gas, get high centered and stuck, or get bored and come out on their own.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Right, and the same thing has been done with front-end loaders and whatnot. Said rampages also end up with nothing more than property damage because you can't see or steer for shit, and are really rare because you need to have somebody who can actually drive said vehicles and has the intent to go smash things up with them.

There's a whole fat pile of stuff to be aghast about with US laws, but being able to rent a defunct tank is a non-issue unless you want to also ban access to a huge selection of industrial equipment as well.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Aren't tanks heavy enough to destroy roads if they drive over them?

That seems like it would be a concern.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yes, and this SPG, or self-propelled gun, is not a tank but an artillery vehicle. Functionally, I suppose its the same, big gun, tracks, but not meant to fight other tanks.

Also, construction equipment doesn't have the maneuverability or speed of combat vehicles. AFAIK

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's also not limited to the US

For example
    https://tanks-alot.co.uk/tank-limo-hire/

honovere on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yes, and this SPG, or self-propelled gun, is not a tank but an artillery vehicle. Functionally, I suppose its the same, big gun, tracks, but not.meant to foght other tanks.

Also, construction equipment doesn't have the maneuverability or speed of combat vehicles. AFAIK

Depend on the construction equipment in question! A dozer isn’t fast but can turn pretty well. Big end loaders are usually fast and maneuverable.

Some of the current haul trucks could carry about 7 fully loaded abrams tanks in their beds and still go 40 MPH (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797)

Construction equipment is metal.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Tell you what if your eggs are totally scrambled and you feel the need to destroy civic infrastructure and you have tank money you can spend that money much more efficiently than on a tank

• Options

Roads built up to code and up to a certain limit, no. There are bridges and roads that couldn't take the weight, but they're marked before you get on them. However, I think a tank can pretty much shred whatever road surface it's on if the operator chooses to sit there and grind it up. They have to just kinda sit in place doing it though.

Half the point of tanks being on treads is to distribute the weight so you can actually drive them around. If you took a 60-ton vehicle and put wheels on it, you'd need ridiculously huge wheels to go on dirt because otherwise the vehicle would instantly dig into the ground. Though it would be pretty damn hilarious if all tanks drove around on the insanely oversized tires that have to go on things like the mega-trucks at mining sites.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Tell you what if your eggs are totally scrambled and you feel the need to destroy civic infrastructure and you have tank money you can spend that money much more efficiently than on a tank

You may have disproved your own point there.

Thinking about it, it might fun to drive/ride in a tank in a controlled setting. Schwarzenegger seems to enjoy himself.

• Options
    Then in an ironic twist, I have good news!

https://www.diggerlandusa.com/

Yup, it's an amusement park that is literally for just getting to use heavy machinery. Oh, it's also ostensibly "for children".

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Roads built up to code and up to a certain limit, no. There are bridges and roads that couldn't take the weight, but they're marked before you get on them. However, I think a tank can pretty much shred whatever road surface it's on if the operator chooses to sit there and grind it up. They have to just kinda sit in place doing it though.

Half the point of tanks being on treads is to distribute the weight so you can actually drive them around. If you took a 60-ton vehicle and put wheels on it, you'd need ridiculously huge wheels to go on dirt because otherwise the vehicle would instantly dig into the ground. Though it would be pretty damn hilarious if all tanks drove around on the insanely oversized tires that have to go on things like the mega-trucks at mining sites.

Wasn't one of the (there were absolutely others) arguments against Trump's military parade down the mall that the tanks would destroy the roads?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Entire industries have been built on the notion of "Do this crazy dangerous thing you'd never otherwise get to do, but in a safe and controlled environment".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Wasn't one of the (there were absolutely others) arguments against Trump's military parade down the mall that the tanks would destroy the roads?

No idea, but you can dress up tank treads so they won't destroy road surfaces (at least not easily). I would bet that that is more a matter of poor road upkeep or design, but there are limits on what any road surface can handle; roll enough heavy shit across anything and you'll destroy it eventually. I would guess that the answer is more of a "yes, the parade could potentially damage the road if the vehicles are over a given size or spaced too closely or have the wrong tires/treads on" rather than a straight "yes, that road will get obliterated for sure".

Keep in mind that a huge part of the reason roads exist in most nations is to potentially facilitate rapid transportation of military forces, if necessary. This has been a major function of roads at least since the Romans made this a major part of empire building. Wouldn't do much good to build an international road network that can support your military if said roads explode into debris if a tank rolls over them.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

No idea, but you can dress up tank treads so they won't destroy road surfaces (at least not easily). I would bet that that is more a matter of poor road upkeep or design, but there are limits on what any road surface can handle; roll enough heavy shit across anything and you'll destroy it eventually. I would guess that the answer is more of a "yes, the parade could potentially damage the road if the vehicles are over a given size or spaced too closely or have the wrong tires/treads on" rather than a straight "yes, that road will get obliterated for sure".

Keep in mind that a huge part of the reason roads exist in most nations is to potentially facilitate rapid transportation of military forces, if necessary. This has been a major function of roads at least since the Romans made this a major part of empire building. Wouldn't do much good to build an international road network that can support your military if said roads explode into debris if a tank rolls over them.

Roads are not built to facilitate the rapid transportation of military forces and haven't been for a long time. North america is a car culture. We build the vast majority of roads for cars and truck-based shipping.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Rapid transit of tanks involves putting them on trucks with rubber tires.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Rapid transit of tanks involves putting them on trucks with rubber tires.

If only because tanks are ridiculously fuel inefficient.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Probably not terribly more so than the trucks that haul them. Though rubber tires are more efficient than treads. Its to maintain the road

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bad news: the only grocery store in a small town closed down

Good news: the city now owns and operates a grocery store

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/22/baldwin-florida-food-desert-city-owned-grocery-store/
    When a deep red town’s only grocery closed, city hall opened its own store. Just don’t call it ‘socialism.’
    But in 2018, two years into his first term, the only grocery store in town shut down. People in Baldwin, Fla., a rural outpost in northeast Florida, were left with few options. They could leave town, driving 10 miles through road construction to nearby Macclenny, or battle 20 miles of freeway traffic through Jacksonville’s suburban sprawl. Alternatively, they could cobble together a meal out of canned goods from the local Dollar General or head to a nearby truck stop for greasy, deep-fried fast food.
    Abandoned by mainstream supermarkets whose business models don’t have room for low profit margins, both urban and rural communities nationwide have turned to resident-owned co-ops or nonprofits to fill the gap. But Baldwin is trying something different. At the Baldwin Market, which opened its doors on Sept. 20, all of the employees are on the municipal payroll, from the butcher to the cashiers. Workers from the town’s maintenance department take breaks from cutting grass to help unload deliveries, and residents flag down the mayor when they want to request a specific type of milk.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    The irony is delicious.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    There used to be a place here where you got to drive mini tanks that were repurposed to shoot huge paintballs and you just tanked around shooting at each other. Still big enough tanks that you needed two people also. One to drive, one to shoot.

Was super expensive tho.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    That town-owned grocery store is somehow both enjoyable, and immensely frustrating. Like, it makes me want to smash heads, but I'm not sure if its theirs or mine.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Probably not terribly more so than the trucks that haul them. Though rubber tires are more efficient than treads. Its to maintain the road

A quick google search shows an Abrams roughly gets .6 mpg, while the trucks and trailers designed to haul them get 1.2mpg. So you cut your fuel use in half to transport by truck.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

A 70-ton tank doesn't have that much more ground pressure, so straight road driving is not a problem on most roads if it's driving slowly and doesn't make very sharp turns (as long as it has rubber plates).

However, if it does make a hard break or a tight turn it can definitely tear up a road. The damage tends to be quite limited though and easily fixed by spot-patching.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    All I know is that when I was in the Army, we routinely drove on dirt roads as much as possible to make sure we didn't tear up roadways. And I was in 32 ton Bradleys. I imagine the 70 ton Abrams had to be even more careful.

Yes, you can drive a tank on a road, repeatedly even, but it will weaken the road, and after driving a few companies down a road, there will be chunks the size of large potholes missing that necessitate repairs.

We were cautioned about it in Korea, and here at Benning in Georgia.

Having a parade down a road would probably have enough vehicles in it that the city of Washington, DC would need to spend a lot of money to fix those roads.

Young Valhalla peeking out of Blue2:
    3Hb5zNl.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    It's no different than any other road usage, just magnified for the weight of the vehicle and the fact that military treads are usually metal (which obviously can tear up a road surface more easily than rubber). A lot of the reason US road infrastructure is so shitty is because the government just gave up on efficient material transportation via train and now lets it all be transported via trucks, which absolutely beat the shit out of the roads because you've got trailer loads that are 2-3 dozen tons going at 60-70 miles an hour. Even with a bunch of rubber tires to distribute the weight, it beats the shit out of roads and shortens their life considerably.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    the fact that military treads are usually metal (which obviously can tear up a road surface more easily than rubber).

Almost all modern tracked vehicles use steel tracks with rubber plates in order to reduce the wear&tear (and improve traction) on road surfaces.
    lead.jpg
    The problem isn't the composition of the tracks, but the peculiarities of tracked vehicles and how they turn.
    When a normal vehicle turns there is a minimum of shearing stress applied. When a tracked vehicle turns...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNQbwWP3hQ

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bad news: Catfish exist. I mean, seriously, have you seen those things? Yikes.
    Good news: Hungry for catfish? Just get an egg, some mentos, and coke, and you're good to go.

Honestly this is just werid enough i felt it belonged in this thread. According to the twitter thread, it's working by having the egg act as bait, the tunnel connects to a catfish tunnel, and the resulting chemical reaction from coke + mentos floods said tunnel with C02, causing the catfish to start to suffocate and resultingly, yeet themselves at the surface.

Edit: Further digging indicates that this is probably a hoax! So there you go.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    South East Asia youtube has a lotta videos on using household objects and scrap to create traps for fish and snakes and eels. All sorts of aquatic wildlife. Although the specific way the videos are presented feels like produced propaganda.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

A quick google search shows an Abrams roughly gets .6 mpg, while the trucks and trailers designed to haul them get 1.2mpg. So you cut your fuel use in half to transport by truck.

Before or after loading the tanks on them?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    dear lord please give me the strength to destroy this terrible tank conversation

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    dear lord please give me the strength to destroy this terrible tank conversation
    You know what would really help in your quest to destroy things?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A steamroller?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Jesus! Dude can flip tables like no one's business.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    We have The Dumbest Boy Alive 2: Decade Boogaloo:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.