As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Huge Space Above Posts on Mobile

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I generally have enough reports of this, its being looked into.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I've never seen this problem before. But my Chrome stopped updating a while ago because I can't update my phone's OS.

So a "healthy" chrome build:

Chrome 74.0.3729.157

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Not to pile on, but I did just updated android Chrome on Sunday and just started getting this, too.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One thing I've been noticing but may be coincidence. It doesn't seem to happen if the latest post has quoted text, only with fresh posts. At least for me

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I actually need more reports of this again, is it still occurring with the same frequency? Also restate your mobile/browser

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I actually need more reports of this again, is it still occurring with the same frequency? Also restate your mobile/browser

Happens all the time to me. Often more frequent than it being normal. Pixel 3, Chrome.

Just today had the longest one I've ever seen probably thirty seconds of scrolling.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Still doing it on my Pixel 1, Chrome browser.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Still happens to me. Galaxy S6/Brave 1.4.2 Chromium 77.0.3865.116

edited October 2019
    the devs are having trouble replicating it, even physically using some of the same reported phones. Any other hunches like this:
    One thing I've been noticing but may be coincidence. It doesn't seem to happen if the latest post has quoted text, only with fresh posts. At least for me

that might point them to a trigger?

Iruka on
    Oh hey I use the YeOlde Penny Arcade Skin from Stylish, I didn't even think to mention it because I've used it since day one of the Vanilla switch and forgot what the forums actually look like.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've been having this happen for a while now (probably about a month, judging from the earliest posts in this thread).
    Android 8.1.0; Nexus 6P Build/OPM7.181105.004
    Chrome 77.0.3865.116

Repro steps: click "star" icon from the bottom menu to pull up bookmarked threads, click into one of said threads. First new post usually has the giant gap.

edit to add: I can still get the big gap in posts with quoted text.

Fry on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Happens all the time to me. Often more frequent than it being normal. Pixel 3, Chrome.

Just today had the longest one I've ever seen probably thirty seconds of scrolling.

Same same, impeachment thread had three screens of gap between timestamp and avatar just a few moments ago, linked off bookmarks.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's still happening to me, sometimes now taking so long to render that Android thinks Chrome needs to get shut down.

Samsung Note5
    Chrome 78.0.3904.62
    Android 7.0

sig.gif
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I've been seeing this on my mobile device since shortly after this thread started. It always happens on threads with new posts, and only on the first new post. It only occurs sometimes on the very last post of a thread I've read all the posts on if I revisit.

Pixel 3a
    Chrome 77.0.3865.116
    Android 10

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Still happening here. LG V30, Android 8.0.0, Chrome v 77.0.3865.116

Happens on the first new post of a thread (from the subforum; I don't use the bookmarks page), when I tap on a thread title and it goes to the first new post; and on the last post of a thread I've read all of and am revisiting. Sometimes worse on some threads than others - the D&D Star Wars thread is currently creating massive gaps consistently (more than the entire rest of the page). Doesn't tend to do it in any thread if the first new post is at the very top of a new page.

Turning off rotation lock on the phone and turning the phone to landscape fixes it as the page goes through whatever re-rendering the browser is doing. Turning back to portrait, it stays fine. But the next thread I tap on will have the problem again.

Very, very occasionally, it will do it but then partially (read: almost but not completely) correct itself as the page completes its rendering.

Jazz on
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Still seeing this, too. Not sure when exactly it started, but early-mid september is probably right.

Wiko PULP 4G (Minor French brand, I think.)
    Chrome 77.0.3865.116 (should be most recent)
    Android 5.1.1 (ancient!)
    720 x 1280 screen

-Happens pretty much always. (>99%)
    -Size of empty space seems pretty random, Usually between 1-6 screens or so, with an occasional "I've been scrolling as fast as I can for 10 seconds now, when will it end?" outlier.
    -Negative on the "If the new post starts with a quote it'll align correctly".
    -Occasionally tilting the phone between portrait and landscape mode will fix it.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Pixel 2 XL
    Chrome 77.0.3865.92
    Android 10

I find it most often happens when I click on a thread via bookmarks (i.e. #latest at the end of the url). Doesn't seem to happen when the "latest" post for me is a TOTP. I can reproduce in a thread where I have already read all of the entries. I can also make it occur by using a direct link to a post in a thread I already have open. Refreshing the page doesn't help, and if a new post is added, the gap will move down to a newer post, otherwise it will stay the same.

This does not occur on desktop browsers for me.

Edit: Pretty easy to reproduce for me:
    foo2muat1pjc.png
    Note that this gap is on the "reasonable" side

crimsoncoyote on
    Pixel 2 XL
    Chrome 77.0.3865.92
    Android 10

I find it most often happens when I click on a thread via bookmarks (i.e. #latest at the end of the url). Doesn't seem to happen when the "latest" post for me is a TOTP. I can reproduce in a thread where I have already read all of the entries. I can also make it occur by using a direct link to a post in a thread I already have open. Refreshing the page doesn't help, and if a new post is added, the gap will move down to a newer post, otherwise it will stay the same.

foo2muat1pjc.png

If this gap was all that happened I would have never reported the issue.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Pixel 2 XL
    Chrome 77.0.3865.92
    Android 10

<snip>

If this gap was all that happened I would have never reported the issue.

Agreed. Just trying to show that it's pretty easy to get it to happen, and the gap is fairly variable.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This was happening on my note 8 with chrome, my work galaxy s8 with chrome, and now my Pixel 4 with chrome. Does not happen on the VMWare or Edge browsers on the S8.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    ... and it's gone.
    Phone updated to Chrome 78.0.3904.62 overnight, and I'm not seeing it anymore this morning.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    the devs are having trouble replicating it, even physically using some of the same reported phones. Any other hunches like this:

that might point them to a trigger?

Galaxy S6, chrome here. I think maybe it has something to do with nested spoilers/quotes. The Expanse thread in D&D is in the middle of a long argument based on the last few books so the last few pages have been basically nothing but deeply nested quotes of spoilers, and blank space issue has been absolutely awful on it.

steam_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Galaxy S7: Chrome.

I've found when I open a favorited thread to the latest post, the later on the page the first post is, the larger the gap is.

I.e. if my first unread post is the TOTP, there's no gap, but if it's the bottom of the page, I have to scroll for several minutes past blank space.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    ... and it's gone.
    Phone updated to Chrome 78.0.3904.62 overnight, and I'm not seeing it anymore this morning.

I can confirm this.

Chrome 78 does not show this issue. Chrome 77 does.

Tested on my Galaxy S8+.

For whatever reason, 78 is still the beta version for my phone while 77 is the release version. I can run both of them side by side and this issue only happens on 77.

Multiple checks today and no issues with the update mentioned above...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmm is 78 a beta/ advanced branch? Mine is on 77 with no pending updates.

steam_sig.png
    Downloaded Chrome Beta from the Play Store, and it is version 78.

It does appear to solve the problem.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    So this just started happening to me recently (I've also updated my Chrome app recently).

I've figured out how to reproduce the bug, too: the space is always inserted into the first "account-unread" post in a thread. At least for me!

NightDragon on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I've been having this in Chrome on a Galaxy S6. Where the post is in a page doesn't matter, but it's worse when there are quoted posts.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited October 2019
    Check your Chrome versions, they should be 77. Then grab Chome Beta off the Play Store (you can run both at the same time, even split screen them if your phone has that functionality) and see if that's any better.

I'm hoping that when regular Chrome hits 78 this will be a thing of the past.

Jazz on
    I'm Chrome 78 and haven't had an issue since October 27.

My Chrome just got the update to 78 and yup, it does seem to have cured the issue. :biggrin:

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    About 2 weeks ago now, I picked up a Google Pixel 3a, and immediately started noticing this problem (Earlier I said I couldn't reproduce it on my phone).

In the last day, it stopped happening. I can confirm I'm on Chrome 78.0.3904.62. Play store claims Chrome was updated "1 week ago" but I don't entirely trust that versus when I last saw the issue.

Still, not happening so the answer seems to be to get off ver. 77 ASAP.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

Still problem free...maybe we are in the clear?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Still problem free...maybe we are in the clear?

I still get it

Samsung Galaxy s7

Most recent chrome

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    My old phone still does it and it's a Samsung S5. It tended to do it in longer threads as opposed to smaller ones, several pages such as around 5+ in.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    So, I think I've lost the major gaps such as those in the early thread, but now I keep getting double spacing?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Appears to be a different issue that is affecting everyone regardless of platform. See https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/231710/css-borked-quote-text-color-quote-box-format-pictures#latest

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I still get the large spaces on mobile

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Maybe related, maybe unrelated, but I'm seeing massive (double or triple?) spacing with linebreaks on both desktop (Chrome, 2 different PCs) and mobile (iPhone using a browser called Photon, because I find Safari fucks up in a variety of ways when I try to use it for forums).

I've also noticed that quote trees look different on both.

Edit: also, quote trees no longer seem to auto-collapse.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!