As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The mountain is gorgeous, but I keep coming back to that plant shot. It's got an extraordinary amount of depth.

Regarding having my work hung: argh they hung them in a single cluster in an equidistant grid regardless of size and aspect ratio
    they didn't even try a french hanging arrrgh
    oh god it's so ugly

so, never going into that building again.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Uuuugh all three of those are incredible @Sublimus well done man. Nice contrast between the three as well, Landscape/Foliage/Cityscape and the colors are all really well done. You doing some split toning? Really like how your post work has been turning out lately.

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @tynic Thank you! yeah I like the calmness of that plant shot. Been trying to get something like that for a while now!

@Prospicience Aw thanks, dude!! Been trying to mess with split tones more! That plant shot had a lot I think. My goal is to always go as extreme as I can while still looking natural. Somehow it seems to make all the colors more vivid? Not a fan of the heavy handed instagram look, but when it's done well it's magical.

Anywho, stayed up all night last night and got this. It's leaps above my last effort, but I'm still not happy haha. I learn so much every time, even in the last like 5 attempts that were all complete failures.

48675279876_920fa9918c_c.jpg

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Photo thread, what are you using for processing software these days? Is leasing Lightroom the best option?

aTBDrQE.jpg
    @Skeith I use lightroom for like 95% of my edits, and very rarely crack open PS if I need to do some crazy exposure blending or something.

The thing that's nice about lightroom aside from it being almost all the editing you'll ever need, is it's also a great catalog software too.

There might be other stuff out there too, but since I use PS for other stuff anyway I got lightroom for free and pretty much have no complaints with it.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I did a thing. Well, several hundred things over the years, most of which didn't turn out. Some of the ones that did can be found at that link, but I'll be fooling around in Lightroom for a while.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    @Skeith Woo! Make sure to post your favorites here too!

My first media pass since moving to Seattle.

48835440396_ab76544ceb_c.jpg

48835189588_54df2d829a_c.jpg

48835559766_47a6894391_c.jpg

48835188533_7b48e42d0d_c.jpg

48835558586_00e6720515_c.jpg

My family did a trip out to Yosemite/Sequoia/Napa for my mom's 60th birthday. These are the best I could get given the circumstances. I feel like I should be ok with them, but my standards always outpace my abilities.

I also took some more "cinematic" shots, but I'm still messing with those edits.

48983516358_ec53ddfe9d_c.jpg

48984095376_79535e3700_c.jpg

48984301672_4b57d89e81_c.jpg

48984118871_da76a30eff_c.jpg

48984122941_56fbaa5c81_c.jpg

48983562843_b05b99fc30_c.jpg

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Y'all real good at photogs.

I agree!! (And thank you, as this is now officially not a triple post :P )

My cinematic edits from my family trip. I didn't actually shoot any video, but I wanted to practice composing in this aspect ratio, and editing with a cinema look in mind. (I intend to start shooting more video though, so this is practice/exploration for that.)

Act I: Yosemite
    1_1.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    1_3.jpg
    1_4.jpg

Act II: Sequoia
    2_1.jpg
    2_2.jpg
    2_3.jpg
    2_4.jpg

Act I: Napa
    3_1.jpg
    3_2.jpg
    3_3.jpg
    3_4.jpg

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So I'm a few days late for the Spoopy Season, but it's taken me awhile to gather up enough courage to post my stuff. I'm just shooting this with my phone but a thousand thanks go to the person who told me about Snapseed cause I've gotten some really cool looks out of it. Behold!
    BVTGHIw.jpg

RjhCFsK.jpg

R7u1EiD.jpg

pDNxB6a.jpg

yMd337r.jpg

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, I have been rocking a Fuji X-E2S for a couple years now, and have been starting to think about an upgrade. I am seriously considering this Fuji X-H1 + Battery Grip deal happening now ($999), anyone here using one of them? I know they are bigger and built for video, but the big draw for me is the better sesnor (X-Trans III at 24mp vs X-Trans II at 16mp).

I also bought a Pentax Spotmatic II recently (w/ SMC Takumar 55 1.8)... I have a problem, folks.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    My family did a trip out to Yosemite/Sequoia/Napa for my mom's 60th birthday. These are the best I could get given the circumstances. I feel like I should be ok with them, but my standards always outpace my abilities.

...snip...

I think you did a pretty damn good job given this was just a holiday. Yosemite is one of the most photographed areas and you probably didn't have the luxury of sitting around for days on end waiting for the right light/cloud cover to get that perfect shot. I would try to not compare yourself to those people.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited November 2019
    So, I took this shot on a walk through downtown Austin last weekend. I dig the colors, and think it came out alright. I have a huge backlog of photos to process right now, as since the kiddo was born in March, I haven't really had an opportunity to play around too much.

Also, I ended up trading in my X-E2S for an X-H1.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w9LYFb1y1HbftjjY6

oldmanken on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hello photo thread! I'm a newcomer to the art, so I had a few questions:
    1. What do you use/recommend for sharing photos privately? E.g. I'd like to not see the images plastered somewhere, though I can't stop someone from reposting them.
    2. What do you use/recommend for sharing photos publicly?
    3. What if I'm interested in feedback?
    4. Any recommendations for underwater photography with limited equipment? I'm going snorkeling soon, and I bought an Olympus TG-6 with a float strap so I'm hoping to catch a turtle or two. Yes, it has an underwater photography mode and yes I'll be using it, but since it's not something I can practice with until I'm there, I'm looking for anything that can speed up that learning curve.

Thanks!

edit: and while it's pretty grainy and shows some of the stigmata of tone mapping, it's still one of my favorite photos I've taken so far:

d2yf5po5gtwo.jpg

Orca on
    Both flickr and google will let you set up private albums and fully control permissions on your photos. I prefer Flickr, but probably mostly for legacy reasons.

and this thread is a pretty good place for feedback!

I got through my first test roll of film for my Spotmatic II. Opted to use Kodak 400TX black and white film, and all in all I am really happy with the results. Mostly I was just taking shots around the house, and of the baby, but I feel they turned out pretty well considering it was my first foray into film photography. I've uploaded some of the shot here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/152494062@N02/n0X771. I did next to no editing on the TIFs, so I was happy to see that the meter on the camera was mostly right.

49180933432_ae8395f1db_h.jpg19-12-06_Pentax-R1-Web_02 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

49180933362_207a8f33d1_h.jpg19-12-06_Pentax-R1-Web_03 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

edited December 2019
    Super cool! Been meaning to start messing with film myself!..... one day haha

[edit] Finally sat down and edited some photos. Still messing with a "cinematic" or "filmic" look. And trying street photography, which I find intriguing recently. Like "what makes a good street photo?" I like that there's no real answer. And as you kind of come up with your own answer, it sort of forces a voice out of you.

Anyway with all that being said, I think these photos are more sizzle than steak, but at least it's a proof of concept for when I snap something more worthwhile. (oh also please excuse the overly artsy selfie lol)

49224227321_e552771265_c.jpg

49224450287_9ec99f38b7_c.jpg

49224448997_4252d86fed_c.jpg

49224223196_f112861963_c.jpg

49224221916_829d72a35d_c.jpg

49224445237_38a3d3c9f8_c.jpg

Sublimus on
    I think one thing that I am getting from messing with film is to slow down, and frame things properly and think about composition. It's certainly not fully translating into my digital photography yet, but I am doing a lot less 'spray and pray' with my camera now.

That said, made proper use of the continuous autofocus on my new camera this past weekend, after taking the kiddo to the park for the first time.

49229524361_36c22dac26_k.jpg19-12-15_Full_05 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

Really happy with this one, as I feel I caught her at her happiest. She was having a ball, and it was her first time on a swing.

edited December 2019

Got voluntold to do some "scientists, sciencing!" publicity shots for a couple of colleagues
    making them not stare grimly at the camera like apocalyptic creepoids was the hardest bit

u7tonibc8hev.jpg

o5y9rlpkcx8c.jpg

mjrucx6can2k.jpg

p7hduh67kya7.jpg

tynic on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Tree Bark is weird.
    66iom7zuogwn.jpg

VayBJ4e.png
    @tynic That third shot is great! :D

Haven't been shooting too much lately (I am a bum). So here is a re-edit of an older shot. I never liked the old version, but I enjoy this one!

49446962508_5ef25aafac_c.jpg

Holy hell, sorry y'all - can't believe it's been since September since I've posted here. Too much goodness to address it all, but @tynic - really like the B&W versions of your science'ing (that word just looks weird) photos.

@Sublimus really dig that rework of the cathedral as well as all your cinematic style photos.

Not going to lie, definitely been having a tough time over this last year in doing my own thing photography-wise. Not trying to necessarily follow the popular trends/styles in photography has really thrown me for a loop, honest to god feel as though platforms like instagram have partially made me lose a bit of the style I thought I had. I've always sort of tried out different styles of photography to try to make my own style grow or evolve, but with so many around and available it definitely throws me for a loop. So much dang good content out there.

Anyways TLDR, trying to social media less and just art more - or at least work on it. I converted my old Fuji XE2 to infrared back in December - so I've been doing that, which has been very refreshing. Here is a huge dump of those over the last 4 months:

49440225413_91bdc65786_c.jpgFlare by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49440225353_1145dc3f10_c.jpgCross by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49440697686_ac40c28416_c.jpgCapital D by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49570514431_ac505e85e6_c.jpgDriving Force by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49584715712_283043c07e_c.jpgSecurity on High by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49593221467_7b2e012b4e_c.jpg16x9 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49632193266_ca442e38d7_c.jpgMerging by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49803840397_8bf3a535e3_c.jpgFading Light by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

And a moon photo:
    49748041243_53674e0071_c.jpgBloop by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    I just gotta say, all the landscape photos on this page are absolutely stunning.

I can't take a good photo for the life of me. But I did get a neat new toy.

It does a really good job of hiding the selfie stick. If it weren't for the shadow I think it would look like the whole ting was shot on a drone. I also love the tiny planet effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-cySfpcb8c

wjrgmabqopt8.jpg

@Rothgarr that really does do a great job of hiding the selfie stick. What 360 cam you using and/or are you doing any editing afterwards? I've got an old 360 cam I may have to dig out and play with a bit. Always liked the different effects (tiny world ftw) you can do with them, really love the last photo.

Haven't shot much since this shoot which the "fading light" photo above was done in the same fifteen minutes as this one 49803840777_8b36c265f7_c.jpgPower Out by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Ooh, little planet photos are fun: Here's a fairly standard downtown buildings one:

HTTVZE0.jpg

One from around the Space Needle in Seattle:

3czGh4Y.jpg

and one from inside one of the sculptures in the sculpture garden, which might be pushing things a bit too far but is interesting-looking in its own sort of way:

K477MbE.jpg

I'm using a mi sphere camera, and this 8' long selfie stick to take the second two of those -- it's long and tapered enough to be invisible for normal 360 photos, and gets you high enough to get interesting perspectives on things, and extends / retracts quickly enough to not be a big pain to use.

(Those are converted from two-fisheye to equirectangular with the existing mi sphere software, then hugin to make little planets.)

edited May 2020
    Ooh, little planet photos are fun

I AGREE!
    Ooh, little planet photos are fun

I'm using a mi sphere camera, and this 8' long selfie stick to take the second two of those -- it's long and tapered enough to be invisible for normal 360 photos, and gets you high enough to get interesting perspectives on things, and extends / retracts quickly enough to not be a big pain to use.

Very nice shots!!!

I'm currently using an Insta360 One X. I also plan on getting a Ricoh Theta Z1. But currently neither are available until manufacturing facilities open up. My wife also uses the Insta360 One X to create Matterport virtual tours for her real estate job.

The selfie stick/tripod I'm using is only a little over 4' long (including the bullet-time swivel/base). I do plan on getting one that's much longer.

Here are a few more pics... [EDIT: Oddly, the images below don't appear as sharp as the originals I'm uploading. Oh well]

486pnxb2fw60.jpg

l9ek1coqw9ph.jpg

ckpnfcg5rgie.jpg

r56vyccz1vmx.jpg

Rothgarr on
    edited May 2020
    @djmitchella love all those, the sculpture one is pretty cool as it seems different than the usual.

@Rothgarr well hot dang, I didn't know you could use your insta 360 for matterport tours. Know they just recently updated it where you can use your phone to create a tour, but didn't know you could previous to that. How do the 3D models turn out? I do Real Estate full time, but we tend to use the actual Matterport cameras (expensive as heck). We mostly use those because of the 3D model aspect/measurements of the home, 360 cameras probably would save a ton of time/money though if they do a good job.

Some more recent IR photos
    49869384272_9106ebf5fd_c.jpgOf course by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49869384312_b7fe5521d7_c.jpgCab by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

49869074926_04b3056b36_c.jpgMoobaby by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
    @Rothgarr well hot dang, I didn't know you could use your insta 360 for matterport tours. Know they just recently updated it where you can use your phone to create a tour, but didn't know you could previous to that. How do the 3D models turn out? I do Real Estate full time, but we tend to use the actual Matterport cameras (expensive as heck). We mostly use those because of the 3D model aspect/measurements of the home, 360 cameras probably would save a ton of time/money though if they do a good job.

Yup, you can use the Insta360 One X with Matterport. You can also use some of the Ricoh 360 cameras.

Here's a Matterport I did with the Insta360: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=epbWFYq3BC8

It's not terrible if the rooms are nice and bright, but it's also can't compare to the MP Pro 2 camera. I will say that capturing a home goes MUCH faster with a 360 camera.

My wife uses the Insta360 to do around four homes a week for the realtor she works for -- but these aren't particularly fancy homes. She might upgrade to a Ricoh Z1, though. She also doesn't use Matterport -- she uses Immoviewer and some other 360 walkthrough solutions. Her clients don't need the dollhouse or anything and capturing tours goes much faster when you only need to do one scan per room (versus 3d scanning a room with multiple shots).

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Photo thread, I could use some guidance. I haven't been shooting much at all in the last few years, but I'm starting to get back into it. Part of my recent hangup has been photo management and workflow. In the past, I used a MacBook Pro and Lightroom. I'd grab RAW photos off the card, import them into LR with a preset, and then edit. I'd export the good ones and LR was my photo library.

Fast forward to today and a few things have changed. That MacBook is basically dead. I think I can get the old photos off it. Cloud services are way more popular. LR is now subscription based. I have an iPad Pro. I take way more photos with my phone.

I tried figuring out a workflow that made sense using just the iPad, but while I like it for editing a single picture or a small set, using it for library management seems to kind of suck. Especially since I don't want to pay a LR subscription for how I use it. I did for months and it felt like wasted money. So I bought a new MacBook to work with and that brings us to the current moment and I'm trying to figure out a workflow.

I'd like to import raw files to the Mac and then NOT back them up to iCloud. I have a NAS that I'd like to use for that. I'm fine with the good photos post-export being in Google or iCloud or whatever. I'd like to avoid the LR subscription fee. It's just not worth it for me, I don't think. I can be convinced, though, if the answer is, "the way you're working with what you want to do? LR is the best. Just do it."

So, help? I'd like to be able to grab the RAW files off my cards onto the Mac and then manage the library relatively easily. I could use Photos, but I have a feeling that I'm going to find it annoying. I could just manage folders myself but I'd also like to avoid that. Is there a good library management app that could do basic bulk processing of RAW files? Then I could use Affinity or something else for the fine editing of individual pictures.

I'd like to back up everything to my NAS. I'd like to use the iPad Pro for on the go editing when I don't want to carry the computer. I'd like to avoid subscription fees. Help me, Photo thread. I hope all that makes some sense.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I finally got back to photography after a pretty serious and extended detour and got a new D5600 with a refurbished DX 70-300 (the VR one). There's a lot to learn going from a failing PowerShot to a DSLR with a longer lens! For example: those birds I always see overhead are turkey vultures. My useless human eyes couldn't see them well enough.

But my question is: I want to get Lightroom so I can get used to editing raw and have a good interface for tagging and searching. My options are the PS + LR plan with a little space or the LR-only plan with a lot of space. I already have Affinity Photo, so I'm not sure if adding Photoshop is worth the tradeoff of less space. Have any of you used Affinity Photo and Photoshop enough to compare them?

edited May 2020
    In the end, I just went with Lightroom.

Here's a picture of my friend's dog I took while messing around with a speedlight in the lobby of my building.

AhN3X5Bl.jpg

Edit: Some more on how I did this and why I like it. I had my plush with me and a small diffuser that’s about 8x8 inches square that instead of attaching to the flash, I had my friend (holding the dog’s leash) off to the side to reflect. I really like how this came out, and there are a few more that were good but this was the best. I’d like to get more into flash photography beyond just bouncing off ceilings or walls when shooting people. I’m considering an off-camera flash cord or remote trigger—there seem to be some cheapo ones on Amazon.

Six on
    Rothgarr wrote: »

Yup, you can use the Insta360 One X with Matterport. You can also use some of the Ricoh 360 cameras.

Here's a Matterport I did with the Insta360: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=epbWFYq3BC8

Crazy they can get a dollhouse out of a 360 cam anymore! That looks pretty darn good, honestly unless I were to be super nitpicky I think it looks almost just like a regular matterport. We've had the MP2 cameras for a few weeks now and they're pretty incredible, much faster scanning time than previously. The photos it produces are pretty nutso as well.

Six wrote: »
    I'd like to back up everything to my NAS. I'd like to use the iPad Pro for on the go editing when I don't want to carry the computer. I'd like to avoid subscription fees. Help me, Photo thread. I hope all that makes some sense.

I'm really happy with being able to access LR from both my home computer as well as my ipad pro. I've heard a good amount of event/wedding photographers specifically edit on the ipad anymore w/out a pc. It's just as powerful as pc version, in fact it runs faster than my 6 year old PC. I've subscribed to LR/PS for about 4 or so years now and have been really happy. Capture one is a really powerful tool as well, but I don't think it's worth going all in on just that as their mobile doesn't seem to be as prominent/well kept up AND I'd only recommend it if you have a Fuji camera. I also don't use the available cloud space either. I probably would use their cloud service however if I was more on the go and didn't have my office and a google drive/photos subscription.

Beautiful dog shot, love the creativity with the light. If you want to get more into flash photography or OCF I would check out Nick Fancer's Amazon Books (I have Chroma - which I've read a couple times through at this point). He's a ridiculously talented flash photography, really has fun and uses light creatively.

As I expected, IR is a lot more fun when there's more greenery around. Trees/grass just started blooming and growing here in Colorado.
    49924072428_2a7a20e899_c.jpgPower on the Mountain by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Thanks and thanks for the recommendation. I agree that having my LR library synced between devices has been handy and I’m grudgingly accepting that it’s the best workflow for me right now. I do worry about raw files being synced into adobe’s cloud as I’m not willing to pay them for more space when I have a perfectly good NAS that’s being backed up to the cloud separately but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Dang! Y'all are killing it in here! Excellent work!!

So, I'm still mostly messing around with film at the moment, so much so that I may have just purchased a second film camera. Got a really good deal on Canonet QL17 GIII, as it was untested and had some light seal damage. Received it today, and everything seems to be working fine, and already have a light seal repair kit on the way. I really wanted to try out a rangefinder, and while a Minolta CL was tops on my list, this thing was 1/6th of the cost.

Anyway, COVID has meant I continue to take shots around the house, so here are some from my first color roll (Ektar 100).

49950255536_544b041093_c.jpg24-05-20_Pentax-Ektra_2 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

49950548997_a902eaa44b_c.jpg24-05-20_Pentax-Ektra_7 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

49949755958_376ccfca54_c.jpg24-05-20_Pentax-Ektra_5 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    What I love about your shots there is that they have that look of 40 year old photos like, I wouldn't be surprised if you said there was a NES under that tree, ya know? amazing work.

So hey, fyi, I've become Snow White?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BaegqNjJejrrBw5Y9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/51TcgEHMywLsLjt77
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BoKrsjCgnbwReEpk9

Thanks for the kind words!

I've really struggled to get focus right on the Pentax, so I was pleasantly surprised when I developed that roll and had a few good shots that really hit focus. The one of our dog Ferris (above), in particular felt like I nailed it, and there is one of my daughter if you click through to the album, which I think really hit well too.

Managed to get the light seals on my new Canonet replaced, and loaded it with some Tri-X. Focusing feels more natural on the rangefinder, so hoping some of the shots I just took on our walk come out well.

Some digital shots from the other day walking around the local park. I think this came out a little flat:

49960777993_ecc5d10c0b_c.jpg01-06-20_Bagels and Brushy Creek_1 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr

And this one I'm really happy with. I have been testing working at wider angle (18mm in this case), as I am contemplating trading in my Fuji 18-55mm for either the 16-55mm f2.8, or the 16mm f1.4:

49961564702_1b14353f84_c.jpg01-06-20_Bagels and Brushy Creek_2 by Kenneth Hughes, on Flickr