As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My "winterproof" jacket is a 1980s Swedish navy parka. I look like a homeless vet in it but so far it's been good to -17 F. Not bad for $2.50.

Einzel on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    My "winterproof" jacket is a 1980s Swedish navy parka. I look like a homeless vet in it but so far it's been good to -17 F. Not bad for $2.50.

I have a 1946 Swedish army greatcoat. $10. I can wear just a t-shirt underneath in sub zero temps and be perfectly warm. Also it looks almost new.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Might be time for a new coat for me, too. I think I'm to skinny to pull of those double breasted Swedish coats, though. Peacoats are also out, because I need something that covers my butt to be comfortable. Hmmm

Sidenote. Got two pairs of Uniqlo ezy jeans. Super comfortable! Almost like wearing pyjama pants.

honovere on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Do peacoats not cover your butt?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

i do not believe so

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Typically the trendier the peacoat, the shorter and lighter it is.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    They’re intended to cover your pea

• Options

From what I've seen at most half of it? And as I'm also occasionally on a bike with my coat, that's a recipe for a cold ass.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like they've always covered mine, but I have a small torso and a flat ass, so maybe that's it

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Get a second peacoat and tie the arms around your waist like a belt. Problem solved, butt covered.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    All my peacoats have been the giant durable winter coat variety and always covered plenty, one of these days I wanna grab a lighter maybe single-breasted one for more fashionable occasions.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sounds like it's time for some soviet military gear

800018b9ca623096d1eaee5b89879a75.jpg

• Options
    Pea coats are stored in the balls

• Options
    Sadly I don't look this cool in mine. Probably need more pickax.

0154-3.png

• Options
    how much pickax do you have now

• Options
    not enough

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    fashion thread what are you doing back on page 4

anyway so i just bought some shoes...

11524334-1-black?$XXL$&wid=513&fit=constrain

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I love those so much where are they from

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    https://www.asos.com/us/asos-design/asos-design-stacked-heel-western-chelsea-boots-in-faux-black-suede-with-buckle-detail/prd/11524334

i'm also currently being tempted by this, which just looking at the pictures i can tell is probably a piece of garbage, but i'm a sucker for those polka dots

https://www.amazon.com/Wantdo-Cotton-Collar-Lightweight-Jacket/dp/B00DJ2YJV2/

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The patriot act about fast fashion was good

poo
  • Options
    lawks i am tempted by those shoes

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend's parents want to buy me a suit for Christmas

I believe they know a local tailor

I don't currently own one, and don't have much need, I could have maybe work one to a wedding reception last spring and maybe to a renewal of wedding vows ceremony a few months ago

If I am going to own one suit, what should I try to get? What material? What color?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Charcoal wool suit would be my recommendation. It's dark but not black, which makes it suitable for pretty much every occasion, and while wool suits can be heavy in the summer, you don't want your only suit to be seersucker or whatever.

I'd recommend not patterned, but you could theoretically get away with something light. Generally speaking, single breasted two button is the most versatile, but if you have a preference for otherwise, it's your suit. I'd also recommend British style, or maybe American, but definitely not Italian.

This is all going to add up to a pretty plain suit though. Yeah, it's versatile, and that's good, but as you said, you don't have much need. So it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to go with a more stand-out affair. You still don't want to go too out there with it, but switching to like, a bright blue or an oxblood, incorporating a more serious pattern or texture, that sort of thing, that can still leave you with a fairly versatile suit that you'll also get compliments on when you wear it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I don't currently own one, and don't have much need, I could have maybe work one to a wedding reception last spring and maybe to a renewal of wedding vows ceremony a few months ago

If I am going to own one suit, what should I try to get? What material? What color?

Something classically stylish instead of whatever's currently fashionable. So probably something in a very dark non-pinstriped blue, with a single-breasted three-button jacket in the highest quality wool they can afford.

No, it's no good for peacocking, but if it's cut real nice and made of quality materials it'll still look good in ten years, whereas that violet corduroy monstrosity will be out of fashion by next week.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Navy or charcoal if you want one versatile do-almost-everything suit. Wool is going to be the best material to go for. Single-breasted, 2 button is going to be the best all around, relatively modern style while still looking pretty classic.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Yeah, dark blue or dark grey is best for a first suit. Agreed with straightzi on British style, two vents and notched lapels. Although the lines are a bit blurry and some elements of Italian suits like less structured shoulders are fine, too, I think.

• Options
    SEQUINS ALL THE WAY BABY

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, y'all

• Options
    NO PROBLEM BIG SHOOTER
    rj62ngimvfz8.jpg

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    NO PROBLEM BIG SHOOTER
    rj62ngimvfz8.jpg

@Zonugal

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Regardless of style, having a fitted suit will make you look good. The most generic department store suit can look great if it appropriately fits your body with just a bit of tailoring.

Also, good wool doesn't automatically mean heavy. Depending on your climate, mid- (or even light-)weight may be most versatile,

• Options
    Oh yes indeed, you want the highest-quality wool fabric you can afford, but in the lightest weight you can get. That way you will be able to wear the suit in Summer with no more than a light cotton shirt underneath the jacket, and also wear it in Winter with a vest under your heavier cotton shirt, the suit waistcoat on, and a long coat over the jacket, and some form-fitting thermal pants under the trousers and a nice scarf around your neck.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    NO PROBLEM BIG SHOOTER
    rj62ngimvfz8.jpg

@Zonugal

I'm actually wearing a jacket akin to this at work today.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how do you keep moths from getting at wool clothes you don't wear often? clothes bags?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Cedar wood, lavender, or moth paper. Needs to be regularly replaced, though.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Both my suits are from SuitSupply and I can recommend

poo
  • Options
    how do you keep moths from getting at wool clothes you don't wear often? clothes bags?

gun towers

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    NO PROBLEM BIG SHOOTER
    rj62ngimvfz8.jpg

@Zonugal

are you also affecting a devil-may-care jaunty pose which is actually caused by the massive lodestone of a watch you have on that will break your willow branch arm in halfsies if you attempt to raise it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    NO PROBLEM BIG SHOOTER
    rj62ngimvfz8.jpg

@Zonugal

are you also affecting a devil-may-care jaunty pose which is actually caused by the massive lodestone of a watch you have on that will break your willow branch arm in halfsies if you attempt to raise it

I'm wearing a Casio calculator watch!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg