As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's Ready for PAX 2020 Already?

SirUberNoobPwnrSirUberNoobPwnr Registered User regular
Im still having PAX South 2019 withdrawals. I think historically the following year's badges go on sale in August. Anyone else planning on buying tickets day 1?

#ILovePAXSouth

cqcb3p99yvzy.png

• samguyjonessamguyjones Registered User regular
    I already got a room on AirBnB. I noticed stuff near downtown gets pretty tight by the time tickets go on sale.

PAX Nut, author of Inhumane Resources webcomic (https://www.inhumaneresourcescomic.com).
    a0un1V2.png
  • SirUberNoobPwnrSirUberNoobPwnr Registered User regular
    Hey @samguyjones couple questions for you...
    1.) How did you get those PAX badges on your post?
    2.) If you don't mind me asking, on average how much did you pay for AirBnB? The last couple of years I have purchased a hotel on the river and its cost about $600 a stay.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    #1:
    Malgaras wrote: »
    So I stole borrowed @MetricalSky's asset sheets and made a thing:
    http://www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/

It's super ugly and horrible right now (will probably rewrite a good chunk of it), and the UI is complete crap, but it's functional.

I still have quite a bit of work to do obviously, but here is the source if anyone is morbidly curious and/or wants to help make it less horrible.

Edit: Now with new UI thanks to MetricalSky

https://github.com/gespo89/PAXSignatureGenerator

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Do we know, typically, when PAX South gets announced and tickets go on sale?

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KXHdgnv_RzFAPI8dW4YL1iTp50oLeJsrinu7YEvjpFQ/edit#gid=0

Looks like there's not much of a pattern to when South badges go on sale.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DvlDvl Registered User regular
    August 1st was just announced as the on sale date!

MITHvp5.png
    Oh yeah!!! Im stoked!!!

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Already got myself a room.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got my 3 day badge. Any cool hotels? I want a cool one this time.

I booked at SpringHill, the most reasonably priced hotel.

Have you been before @Krathoon? There are so many cool hotels in the riverwalk area. IMO, just go with an inexpensive place in the riverwalk area because if you're anything like my friends and me, you won't be the room much. San Antonio is an amazing city to explore and Pax is a full day event. If you're looking for historic I would recommend the Sheraton Gunter hotel. I've stayed there before and liked it.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    edited October 2019
    Yes. I have been there twice. I stayed at the Fairfield both times.

I'll check out the Gunter.

I usually stay at a hotel near the convention center.

Krathoon on
    Oh yeah SpringHill looks like a great location. I tend to stay on the river. My go-to has been either Gunter or the Holiday Inn River Walk.

Im just stoked that this event is right around the corner 3 months, 1 week. It will be here before we all know it.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    The real question is who isn't? I'm originally from San Antonio, so PAX South is a trip home for me every year. I went to West last year, and this year, and I think that is the last time I will go to West. It is just too big, with too many people and it spills out into all of the nearby hotel conference rooms. South, while smaller, is in a bigger space, so everything is contained well and easy to get to. I haven't been able to participate in any of the non-official PAX activities like the pub crawls, etc., so I'd like to participate in at least one this year!

qbqtLfO.png
    @mnemonictutor I love San Antonio. I didn't even know there were non-official pub crawls. I'd love to do one of those. Do you know where you can find information about them?

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    They usually post here on the forums a few weeks out from the con. There’s a big dinner thing at the Brazilian Steak House across the street, a Gaymer party at a close by club, pub crawls, etc. One year I want to organize a BBQ event, but we would have to Uber/drive there because there is no good BBQ downtown.

qbqtLfO.png
    That sounds awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for that stuff.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    I can't stop thinking about 2020. This happens every year at this time. Ahhhh. Hurry up Nov/Dec!

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • IrsoolIrsool Registered User regular
    It'll get here before you know it! I feel like once we get to Thanksgiving, January arrives in the blink of an eye.

uV3Kd9v.png
    True that @Irsool. Did you miss 18 and 19? I hear a lot has changed since the early days of South but that it's still the chill Pax. :)

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    I have't missed South yet (although I did miss some of the challenge coins haha)! I feel like every year I hear a different type of complaint about how the show has changed, but I've had a blast every year! :)

uV3Kd9v.png
    Irsool wrote: »
    I have't missed South yet (although I did miss some of the challenge coins haha)! I feel like every year I hear a different type of complaint about how the show has changed, but I've had a blast every year! :)

You need to add your 18, 19, and 20 badge. :)

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    Irsool wrote: »

You need to add your 18, 19, and 20 badge. :)

Oops! I'll go ahead and do it.

uV3Kd9v.png
    Im so bored at work all the time. I check this forum daily. I also use Google Maps and "walk" around the Riverwalk area. Im so excited. Im like a child going to Disneyland. Who am I kidding? I love Disneyland too. Id be crazy excited for that trip also. Man, I just want 1/16 to be here already.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    The real shame is that there is no good BBQ on the river walk. Just one or two mediocre chains. We need to do a group BBQ dinner run one night. It shouldn't be too expensive to Uber there and back if we pack 4 deep in each UberX. Maybe $4-5 each person each way. The BBQ will be worth it though. The only risk is that the good BBQ places make a certain amount each day. Once they run out, they run out. The later in the evening you get there, the higher the chance that certain meats will be sold out.

qbqtLfO.png
    Yeah the River doesn't have many good dining options. My crew might be down for something like that. I typically just use Yelp and find places nearby that are highly rated. I haven't been disappointed in what I have found the last couple of years.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    edited November 2019
    Well, either way, just let me know. My crew and I are going to get BBQ for sure. Everyone who wants to come is welcome to. If you want to get in contact, my username is across all socials. Just add me and let me know your name from here.

mnemonictutor on
    qbqtLfO.png
  • AodanTVAodanTV TexasRegistered User new member
    Excited, trying to find a booth to work or hopefully get on the PAX Enforcer list.

AodanTV wrote: »
    Excited, trying to find a booth to work or hopefully get on the PAX Enforcer list.

Do you get to enjoy the event if you're working it? Just curious. What's the benefit? Free entry?

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The real shame is that there is no good BBQ on the river walk. Just one or two mediocre chains. We need to do a group BBQ dinner run one night. It shouldn't be too expensive to Uber there and back if we pack 4 deep in each UberX. Maybe $4-5 each person each way. The BBQ will be worth it though. The only risk is that the good BBQ places make a certain amount each day. Once they run out, they run out. The later in the evening you get there, the higher the chance that certain meats will be sold out.

If you're talking good places that are within San Antonio itself, but further out, the really good stuff sells out by like noon on a weekend. I tried to go to one place that was around 15-20 minutes southwest of the riverwalk area on a past trip, and they were closing up by 12:15 or so because they had sold out of all meats (I think it was 2M Smokehouse). We went to a different place in the opposite direction with a good reputation that turned out to be better than the riverwalk and southtown options, but not great at all (pretty sure it was Two Bros).

If you want really good barbecue that will be available later in the day you probably have to get out of town.

Ketar wrote: »

If you're talking good places that are within San Antonio itself, but further out, the really good stuff sells out by like noon on a weekend. I tried to go to one place that was around 15-20 minutes southwest of the riverwalk area on a past trip, and they were closing up by 12:15 or so because they had sold out of all meats (I think it was 2M Smokehouse). We went to a different place in the opposite direction with a good reputation that turned out to be better than the riverwalk and southtown options, but not great at all (pretty sure it was Two Bros).

If you want really good barbecue that will be available later in the day you probably have to get out of town.

Bookmarked in Yelp! :)

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    edited November 2019
    There is BBQ place down the road from the Zoo. Forgot the name.

I have thought about going to the Zoo again this time.

We need a Magical Mystery Tour the day before PAX.

I found it. It was Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse.

I would like to take a Ghost Tour.

Krathoon on
    I seems like the SpringHill hotel north of the convention center is becoming a PAX hangout.

I think any hotel in the riverwalk area is awesome for PAX. Less than 2 months away friends, book those flights and hotels.

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    I have to admit... I'm so excited for this trip that I keep coming back to this forum daily to see if there is new content and my little gamer heart breaks every time I see 0 new messages. Soooooo... who wants to talk PAX South? :)

cqcb3p99yvzy.png
    It's all an illusion. PAX South never happened.

qbqtLfO.png
    Well whatever drug I was on... I want more then! :)

cqcb3p99yvzy.png