As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Splendor is a solid game to play with my wife when we're looking for something low impact and pleasant. I wouldn't seek it out at a game night or anything, though people play it regularly at the game night that I go to so some people feel differently. There's room to get better/good at it, though I don't think I care enough. I really like the extra cards one of the expansion modules add, also.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    A lot of the stuff in the Game Market looks so cool/cute/interesting, but as expected, there were only very few games that are language independent. I ended up skipping Dead of Night (A 3v3 social deduction game by Freaky(?) with a real fancy design) because of that. Ended up buying Scotland Yard: Tokyo because 1) we have no hidden movement games yet, 2) it plays 6, and 3) it's japan-limited, but language independent.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Ok, played a first game of Splendor with my Analysis Paralyzed roommate. Took about an hour and a quarter. First impression is that it is a little dry, but it's a good excuse to fiddle with poker chips.

The official rule is that youngest player goes first, but I think the house rule should be that the player with the most bling goes first.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Got a co-op haunt in Betrayal Legacy tonight, somewhat unexpectedly. I'm actually pretty impressed with how willing they've been to tell us "just destroy X, you're not gonna see it," as the game evolves. By comparison to Gloomhaven's one-directional "add more stuff," approach, it's a relief; I haven't played most other Legacy games so I can't really compare to those.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Ok, played a first game of Splendor with my Analysis Paralyzed roommate. Took about an hour and a quarter. First impression is that it is a little dry, but it's a good excuse to fiddle with poker chips.

The official rule is that youngest player goes first, but I think the house rule should be that the player with the most bling goes first.

If there's one "go first" rule I hate more than all others. I look around 10 years younger than my actual age (old) and those games always threaten to blow my cover.

• Options
    All games have the same rule about who goes first, and it's "pick someone randomly". Alternately, it's "the person teaching the game goes first so everyone can see what a turn looks like".

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I have a tendency to do something like "Whoever just won the last game goes first now." if we're playing a bunch of small things, but otherwise yes, random 99% of the time.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    All games have the same rule about who goes first, and it's "pick someone randomly". Alternately, it's "the person teaching the game goes first so everyone can see what a turn looks like".

I've found some groups slavish follow the how to select the first player rules no matter how absurd.

And others don't even read that section and just use Chwazi regardless

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I enjoy the cute rules about who goes first. Player who has visited the most countries? Player most recently on a train? Player who most recently watched a reality TV show? Gimme.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    “Freshest Breath” goes first is always awkward. :wink:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the cute rules about who goes first. Player who has visited the most countries? Player most recently on a train? Player who most recently watched a reality TV show? Gimme.

Arboretum’s second tiebreaker is “each tired player plants a tree. The player whose tree grows tallest over the next five years wins the game.”

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Absolutely, I just find it odd when people try to actually use them

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yea they give me a chuckle and I enjoy them, but they also instantly translate to "randomly pick a start player".

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I’ve become a big fan of throwing one cube or meeple or whatever from each color and whichever goes furthest goes first.

Also this:

https://youtu.be/TrwiW2BS50g

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We use all of the silly first player selection rules, and enjoy it. It's always appreciated when they're included in rulebooks.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I've found some groups slavish follow the how to select the first player rules no matter how absurd.

And others don't even read that section and just use Chwazi regardless

Chwazi is life.

Yea they give me a chuckle and I enjoy them, but they also instantly translate to "randomly pick a start player".

It's worth noting that "youngest player start first" usually translates to "first player has an advantage", but there should be other rules balancing that out in the long run.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    We use all of the silly first player selection rules, and enjoy it. It's always appreciated when they're included in rulebooks.

Cue six hours of argument about how we define the freshness breath

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @ArcSyn yeah, but...Chwazi!

Chwazy just looks prettier than that and also gives options for different selections (like you can use it to split people into teams).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    @ArcSyn yeah, but...Chwazi!

Chwazy just looks prettier than that and also gives options for different selections (like you can use it to split people into teams).

I didn't realize that was the name of an app.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I prefer the finger throw --> modular arithmetic method of start player selection. It's like a mini-game before the game you want to play.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Our group also uses modulo to randomly decide.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    We typically grab player colored bits, shake em up, drop one. Or just choose someone at random. I've got chwazi but it's more trouble than it's worth I dunno.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Cue six hours of argument about how we define the freshness breath

Nah. I play with a good group of friends. We've never had an issue, no matter how silly the rule. If there was one that subjective and odd that we didn't want to get into, we'd just agree to have whoever lost the last game go first (or something along those lines).

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I always use "biggest dick" but only so I can see all the cocks. Vibrators can be substituted; I am an equal opportunity nasty bitch.

Cthulhu Death May Die
    showed up Sunday morning for some ridiculous reason and it looks really fun but lord I am not gelling with their stupid badass 20's regular people shtick. It just massively fails on all counts.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm hunting around for a boardgame or two to expand my collection. I am therefore asking the thread, what are people's top 3 of all time boardgames and separately, what are people's top 3 games they tried in 2019?

Please feel free to tell everyone (me) why you like the games. I'm also interested in games with fairly straightforward text if there is any on cards. Several players in my local playgroup are ESL and it's a lot fairer and more enjoyable for everyone if we don't have to deal with convoluted card wording, or the original half-translated Bang! wordings.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Deep Sea Adventure (no text)
    Inis (text on cards)
    Flamme Rouge (no text)

I just picked the first games that came to mind when i thought of my top 3 games of all time.
    ...Now that i have had more time to think i have a dozen other games battling it out inside my head and i cannot make up my mind. Not to mention second guessing my picks and trashing them in my head.

I like DSA because it is a simple, short, push your luck game that encourages you to risk it all to hurt your friends... and yourself.
    Inis is a lovely tactical game that im terrible at but I'm always impressed by and jealous of the moves my friends pull off. Even younger players have surprised me with some clever moves, although i didnt finish that particular game so I'm not sure if it is totally suitable for younger players .
    Flamme Rouge is simple, tight, family friendly. Maybe a little too... skill based? Theres a big difference between new and experienced players. Not even the suggestion of adding extra exhaustion cards to players decks seems to level the playing field.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    If you want to list 2 dozen, feel free. I am fishing for ideas after all.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Inis (text on cards)
    Flamme Rouge (no text)

I just picked the first games that came to mind when i thought of my top 3 games of all time.

...Now that i have had more time to think i have a dozen other games battling it out inside my head and i cannot make up my mind. Not to mention second guessing my picks and trashing them in my head.

I like DSA because it is a simple, short, push your luck game that encourages you to risk it all to hurt your friends... and yourself.

Inis is a lovely tactical game that im terrible at but I'm always impressed by and jealous of the moves my friends pull off. Even younger players have surprised me with some clever moves, although i didnt finish that particular game so I'm not sure if it is totally suitable for younger player's .

Flamme Rouge is simple, tight, family friendly. Maybe a little too... skill based? Theres a big difference between new and experienced players. Not even the suggestion of adding extra exhaustion cards to players decks seems to level the playing field.

I really want to play Flamme Rouge. The concept really speaks to me.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Inis (text on cards)
    Flamme Rouge (no text)

Inis is a lovely tactical game that im terrible at but I'm always impressed by and jealous of the moves my friends pull off. Even younger players have surprised me with some clever moves, although i didnt finish that particular game so I'm not sure if it is totally suitable for younger player's .

I really want to play Flamme Rouge. The concept really speaks to me.

Apparently it's great! I just cannot get past the theme though, which is somehow the least interesting thing I can imagine

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    After hearing about it in the thread I realized my parents owned Deep Sea Adventure, so we opened it up

In the course of three rounds, none of us ever made it back to the sub. We all ended the game tied for 1st with zero points.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yep, sounds about right.

• Options
    Some favourites at the moment ...
    Inis, obviously. Text on cards could certainly be a thing with this one, because a lot references in-game terms. But production values might make this one stick.
    Parks, which I definitely haven't stopped raving about since I first played it (find more looking back in the thread). There is text on cards, but it's ALMOST entirely public information and not too complicated. This one is really strongly recommended to basically anyone. 2019 GOTY for me.
    Anachrony is still a personal favourite, because it's just really well handled and a good time. Worker placement at its finest~ Production values with the mech minis are frustratingly good too ... The components are actually text-independent for the most part, but you will constantly reference the appendix in the rulebook (So it's fine as long as one person reads well).
    Elysium is a truly excellent drafting/tableau builder and has the added bonus of not selling well and often being found available for a discount (but it's worth the retail price for sure). There's some text on some cards, there's a card appendix for clarifications, but everything is public information so it's very easy to sort out questions.
    Just One is a very good party game / small box, though it's tricky with ESL because people might not have the vocabulary for it.
    Mysterium is always enjoyed around here. Co-op deduction that uses no text, just abstract card images.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cthulhu Death May Die is real fun, y'all. Like Zombicide but MUCH more structured and strategic.

i got eated by a fire vampire :cry:

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Inis, Blood Rage, Arboretum (no text)

The only game I remember trying and loving in 2019 is Great Western Trail? Maybe some splotter games, both FCM and Bus have been fun when we've ruthlessly curated invitees.

I also like Tzoklin which has no text.

Blood Rage and Inis are super deep dudes-on-a-map games with high skill ceilings, perfect for a recurring group. Arboretum is crazy tight and pure and cutthroat with beautiful art and simple rules.

GWT is convoluted and massive and takes ages to explain but the sheer scope of it makes it fun for me if I don't have to teach it yet again.

Tzoklin is weird worker placement where everything always moves faster than you want it to and somehow you end up unable to count to 5. There's 5 different wheels of actions and lots of touch choices, even if mostly the temple tracks are more important than anything else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Before we totally move past the first player thing, I would appreciate more games giving pointed or absurd first player rules (with the immediate intended backup of "or choose randomly"). Like, I think Trickerion was whomever last attended a magic show, which ... sure, that's fine and cute, lots of games use things like that which are practical. But I wish Anachrony had used "Whomever most recently traveled to the past" as a first player rule. :P Or for a game to use something like "Whomever last forged a famous painting." I'm sure there's a point where you have to be a bit sensitive to actual terrible things people might have suffered, so absurdity is definitely the way to go.

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Before we totally move past the first player thing, I would appreciate more games giving pointed or absurd first player rules (with the immediate intended backup of "or choose randomly"). Like, I think Trickerion was whomever last attended a magic show, which ... sure, that's fine and cute, lots of games use things like that which are practical. But I wish Anachrony had used "Whomever most recently traveled to the past" as a first player rule. :P Or for a game to use something like "Whomever last forged a famous painting." I'm sure there's a point where you have to be a bit sensitive to actual terrible things people might have suffered, so absurdity is definitely the way to go.

Gloom (a game about making your characters miserable and then killing them) just says that the player who had the worst day should go first.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like the cutesy/different first player choice rules, but it also needs to be something that is likely to change up. Last person to poop? Okay, that will shift day by day. Person who has seen the most of X show or movie? Eh, you're losing me.

If it's something oblique or unlikely to change I'm fine with doing it once and then going back to random after that. Put it to use, but it shouldn't be in the rulebook that "_____ always goes first unless someone makes an arbitrary life choice in order to challenge their supremacy in this particular thing."

Nothing is immediately leaping to mind, but I know I've seen a few over the years that got a raised eyebrow in how specific and unlikely to change once established. I think one was about number of years of pet ownership or something?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The person who wants it the most goes first

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    "Tallest player goes first" tends to work out well for me.