As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Welp, I saw some Wexit idiots setting up a protest at the highway junction in town this morning. They were setting up in the same place that the yellow vest idiots were protesting all summer. There were about 12 or so as far as I can tell.

The weather is miserable so they’re not going to have a fun day in the cold and the rain.

It’s pretty amusing listening to these morons talk about Liberal tears when they’re the ones who want to take their ball and start a new team.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Tell your friend he's in Canada, not the USA. The candidate doesn't matter you are simply voting for party/platform. Unless the candidate would cross the line for some reason, which is incredibly rare, every vote they ever do will be under what the party is voting for.

Vote for the liberal of he doesn't like the CAQ, that's the whole point of an election.

For the backbenchers you'd be right. But this candidate eyes ministerships. Big ones, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see her do a leaedership run if the opportunity arises in the future.

Besides, his problem isn't with her voting record, it's with her reputation, and the impact it'll have on the party in the next election. And it's not unwarranted. Last election she was a first-time candidate, and she got a disproportionate amount of (mostly negative) media attention that made her a household name.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Tell your friend he's in Canada, not the USA. The candidate doesn't matter you are simply voting for party/platform. Unless the candidate would cross the line for some reason, which is incredibly rare, every vote they ever do will be under what the party is voting for.

Vote for the liberal of he doesn't like the CAQ, that's the whole point of an election.

For the backbenchers you'd be right. But this candidate eyes ministerships. Big ones, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see her do a leaedership run if the opportunity arises in the future.

Besides, his problem isn't with her voting record, it's with her reputation, and the impact it'll have on the party in the next election. And it's not unwarranted. Last election she was a first-time candidate, and she got a disproportionate amount of (mostly negative) media attention that made her a household name.
    then suck it up and vote for her anyways. Strategic Voting is not what your friend is thinking of doing, he's just trying to somehow Game the parties and I don't see that ending well.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Weighing the possibilities here, I'd say vote Liberal. While I at least get where your friend is coming from, I think the CAQ taking a strong Liberal seat sends a worse message. If we're doing a lesser of two evil thing between CAQ gaining strength and the Liberals potentially getting an uninspiring leader, the latter seems less damaging.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I get all the criticism and even though I think we *should* use our natural resources to our economic benefit I get that it's not good for the planet.
    My optimistic outlook is generally that human beings will always innovate ourselves out of extinction and therefore we should also consider that the "normals" need to put food on the table and raise their children.
    I am 100% unwilling to cripple Canadian society to "save" the planet when there is ZERO. POINT. ZERO. ZERO chance that any developing nation will do the same.
    If you want to make that case that Canadians should take on the hardship and make a minimal impact while India and China go gangbusters I would encourage you to run for office where you will be soundly fucked.

edit: not to put too fine a point on it but moral victories aren't fucking victories.

“Why try to lead by example if near everyone else are racing to fuck the earth fastest. It’s not as if there’s an almost literal ticking time-bomb that’s going to be even more devastating the longer we continue to do next to nothing. Pump that oil!”

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I get all the criticism and even though I think we *should* use our natural resources to our economic benefit I get that it's not good for the planet.
    My optimistic outlook is generally that human beings will always innovate ourselves out of extinction and therefore we should also consider that the "normals" need to put food on the table and raise their children.
    I am 100% unwilling to cripple Canadian society to "save" the planet when there is ZERO. POINT. ZERO. ZERO chance that any developing nation will do the same.
    If you want to make that case that Canadians should take on the hardship and make a minimal impact while India and China go gangbusters I would encourage you to run for office where you will be soundly fucked.

edit: not to put too fine a point on it but moral victories aren't fucking victories.

“Why try to lead by example if near everyone else are racing to fuck the earth fastest. It’s not as if there’s an almost literal ticking time-bomb that’s going to be even more devastating the longer we continue to do next to nothing. Pump that oil!”

That assumes you can actually lead by example here.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In my opinion the cat is out of the bag and has been for a couple decades so far as voluntary controlled change to global civilisation goes, it will now be changed in drastic unpredictable uncontrollable fashions and the turbulence will be utterly nightmarish if not fatal to the human enterprise

• Options
    The international fight on climate change is basically a prisoner's dilemma. If all countries cooperate, we as a species benefit. But if some countries change and others don't, the ones that don't benefit the most (clean environment and profitable polluting businesses) while the ones that do bear the cost. In addition, in this scenario, all prisoners are not equal: countries like China and India (blamed for polluting the most) are far behind Europe and North America in terms of development, and need to catch up before they can afford to transit to a green economy. You can argue that international treaties like the Paris Accord are the way forward, but honestly we as an international community can't even agree to stop genocides, so I'm not optimistic.

Which is not to say we can't find a way out of this crisis. But we need to be more realistic and pragmatic in our approach. You don't win the Prisoner's Dilemma by leading by example and taking moral stands.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Can't take our boot of the third world we disinherited of their wealth and are fucking over even more with our love of resource extraction

So we do more of it

Morally wrong fiscally responsible

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The solution to collective action problems is, as always, collective action.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Nice to see Winnipeg win something

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Better then the gawddamn Ticats. As an Argos fan, I am legally obligated by the rules of sports rivalries to cheer against the Tiger Cats. Fuck Hamilton.

As a person married to a 'Pegger, I am also legally obligated by the rules of my wife to cheer for Winnipeg when not cheering for Toronto.

Seriously though. Ended a 29 year title drought. Good for the Bombers!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Better then the gawddamn Ticats. As an Argos fan, I am legally obligated by the rules of sports rivalries to cheer against the Tiger Cats. Fuck Hamilton.

As a person married to a 'Pegger, I am also legally obligated by the rules of my wife to cheer for Winnipeg when not cheering for Toronto.

d7yx7fzr751r.jpeg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

d7yx7fzr751r.jpeg

Hey...that their word, not mine! :)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This was my nephew's rookie season, playing for the tigercats. That's pretty amazing, first season and goes to the Grey Cup!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5373943

These fucking clowns are going to keep rigging the game

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well damn, I would not have bet the CN Rail strike would be resolved rather than legislated back-to-work.

That was a happy surprise.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

I dunno, this is all classic Alberta PC wankery. Like, it's fucking disgusting but anyone who voted UCP and is surprised is an idiot.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well damn, I would not have bet the CN Rail strike would be resolved rather than legislated back-to-work.

That was a happy surprise.

I'm hoping the workers got what they want cause conditions sound like they haven't changed since Lac-Mégantic

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    My brother in law works for CN and told me they didn’t give anything up, so that’s promising.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

I dunno, this is all classic Alberta PC wankery. Like, it's fucking disgusting but anyone who voted UCP and is surprised is an idiot.

Firing the investigator that was personally looking into you is a whole new level IMO.

Feels like they are doing the republican playbook but without Trump sabotaging himself daily.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd consider moving back to B.C. after years of longing to return to my home, but this government is definitely making me shop around.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    Never thought I'd consider moving back to B.C. after years of longing to return to my home, but this government is definitely making me shop around.

I moved back to Ontario in time for Doug Ford to take over.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Kenney has me waiting to see two things.

One, how are the UCP polling in the next while. If this has a huge impact, maybe there is hope. If not, we are officially trapped in a death cult.

Two, what happens in Ontario? I have job options and family there, so if I finally hit my Alberta limit, that might be where we end up. I have no desire to work in the US.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Kenney has me waiting to see two things.

One, how are the UCP polling in the next while. If this has a huge impact, maybe there is hope. If not, we are officially trapped in a death cult.

Two, what happens in Ontario? I have job options and family there, so if I finally hit my Alberta limit, that might be where we end up. I have no desire to work in the US.

I think me and my wife will move to Iceland if Alberta gets even more fucky. :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Independent Alberta would be the world’s worst climate polluter. In fact, even excluding the O&G sector from Alberta's ledger, the province is more polluting than Saudi Arabia *including* its oil sector. The study also shows that Canada minus Alberta and Saskatchewan are on track to reach our national emission cut targets, but these two provinces pollute so much they drag the entire country back up. And an increasing number of countries are looking at trade penalties against polluting countries, which would affect all of Canada despite the fact most of us are doing well, because of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

So yeah, I'm becoming pro-wexit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Independent Alberta would be the world’s worst climate polluter. In fact, even excluding the O&G sector from Alberta's ledger, the province is more polluting than Saudi Arabia *including* its oil sector. The study also shows that Canada minus Alberta and Saskatchewan are on track to reach our national emission cut targets, but these two provinces pollute so much they drag the entire country back up. And an increasing number of countries are looking at trade penalties against polluting countries, which would affect all of Canada despite the fact most of us are doing well, because of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

I mean this is cute and all but Alberta is not going to stop polluting if they leave the country. If anything they'd pollute worse because Canadian Law is the only thing preventing Jason Kenney and crew from polluting moree. They're even fighting the laws in Canadian courts right now!

So we'd still be in the same (or worse) climate situation as we are now with Wexit, it would just look better for the rest of Canada on paper, and look worse for whatever the hell other country is created on paper. Let's not kid ourselves that it's a serious option, and do our best to come together and figure this all out, yeah?

• Options
    edited November 2019

NANI???

Canadian Oil and Gas companies are supposed the most cleanest of all producers and are leading the charge in sustainable and environmental practices in the field. :D

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/scrubbing-the-oil-sands-record/

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The problem with "coming together" is that in the current conservative mindset their version of working together is the opposition ceding on all points and doing it their way. I recently watched a video where a woman made a statement responding to "What does the right want the left to give them?" by - in the same collection of line items - demanding they stop being called racist and bigoted, and that immigration policy be shored up and deportations of illegals increased.
    Like, I'm on your side here (as far as empathizing and wanting to be progressive), but there's little helping a community that wants to light itself on fire and shout about how it refuses to be extinguished while demanding everyone else light themselves on fire too. :/

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    The Alberta government is definitely making it hard to come together, no question!

Telling individuals in Alberta that we don't want their province is not going to help though- all that does is isolate them and push them closer to Kenney, and probably feel pretty good as a venting mechanism for us.

I don't know what the best solution on this is- the provincial government is currently completely confident they can get re-elected regardless of what they do, so they're pulling some pretty scary sh-t and it's probably only going to get worse. The voters in Alberta need to figure out what to do about that- be informed and be vocal about this stuff if they're going to do anything about it, the same way that Ontario has kept Ford partly in check by fighting against- and getting reversed- the worst of what Ford wants to do. And I feel like raising awareness of the bad stuff happening and offering support to those voters is a better path forward for us than writing them off.

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »

I mean this is cute and all but Alberta is not going to stop polluting if they leave the country. If anything they'd pollute worse because Canadian Law is the only thing preventing Jason Kenney and crew from polluting moree. They're even fighting the laws in Canadian courts right now!

So we'd still be in the same (or worse) climate situation as we are now with Wexit, it would just look better for the rest of Canada on paper, and look worse for whatever the hell other country is created on paper. Let's not kid ourselves that it's a serious option, and do our best to come together and figure this all out, yeah?

Yeah exactly, that's the point. Canada wouldn't bear the international shame and economic penalties that come from being a global polluter, Alberta would. It would be better for us and worse for them, instead of worse for us because of them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Alberta government is definitely making it hard to come together, no question!

Telling individuals in Alberta that we don't want their province is not going to help though- all that does is isolate them and push them closer to Kenney, and probably feel pretty good as a venting mechanism for us.

I don't know what the best solution on this is- the provincial government is currently completely confident they can get re-elected regardless of what they do, so they're pulling some pretty scary sh-t and it's probably only going to get worse. The voters in Alberta need to figure out what to do about that- be informed and be vocal about this stuff if they're going to do anything about it, the same way that Ontario has kept Ford partly in check by fighting against- and getting reversed- the worst of what Ford wants to do. And I feel like raising awareness of the bad stuff happening and offering support to those voters is a better path forward for us than writing them off.

I think the answer is "we're fucked"

We are a province built on oil and gas, and you cant throw a rock without hitting several folks in the O&G industry. Time and time again this province has shown that high paying O&G jobs are the only thing that matters. Last time the liberals had a decent amount of seats here was 1993, and other than the NDP win its been staunchly conservative since 1935. We aren't going to diversify with the UCP in power, they are actively hindering development in other potential sectors. Anything that impacts magic pipelines being built will be blamed on the Federal Liberals, shadowy but wealthy foreign oil haters and whatever other nonsense they can shift the blame onto and Albertans will believe it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I should clarify that I'm also not suggesting we antagonize them, or endorse / resort to kicking them out giving them what they want. It's a situation where it seems we can't do much to stop them doing what they're doing. Much like people who come to realize the problems with extreme right positions, we can only be here to support and take those who come around. My frustrations with Alberta have long since stopped being directly "Fucking Albertans!" and more a general dismay at the level of self-harm they're inflicting.

• Options
    I should clarify that I'm also not suggesting we antagonize them, or endorse / resort to kicking them out giving them what they want. It's a situation where it seems we can't do much to stop them doing what they're doing. Much like people who come to realize the problems with extreme right positions, we can only be here to support and take those who come around. My frustrations with Alberta have long since stopped being directly "Fucking Albertans!" and more a general dismay at the level of self-harm they're inflicting.

Oh yea, didnt get that from your post at all, and I agree... though I still say Fucking Albertans, being a lifelong Albertan.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Yeah exactly, that's the point. Canada wouldn't bear the international shame and economic penalties that come from being a global polluter, Alberta would. It would be better for us and worse for them, instead of worse for us because of them.

Ah, I see. So no worries about the actual level of pollution then, so long as you can smugly feel superior to other people.

EDIT: Just a clarification, Richy. More pollution is worse for everyone. Surprised I need to say that.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    They're certainly not making it any easier to not just say "Fucking Albertans ..." :P

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Ah, I see. So no worries about the actual level of pollution then, so long as you can smugly feel superior to other people.

EDIT: Just a clarification, Richy. More pollution is worse for everyone. Surprised I need to say that.

In theory, if the international economic penalties came against Canada as a whole, there would be 9 other provinces able to cushion that blow for Alberta. If the penalties came against Alberta alone, they might be forced to account for their policies/actions and make changes, such as lowering how much they pollute.

• Options
    I wonder why that article focused on solely on Alberta. Some quick googling indicates Saskatchewan is even worse per capita, but is merely an afterthought in that article.

At the end of the day, though, is there the will? Like, in Canada as a whole? Canadians voted for a pro-pipeline party. Canadians want Alberta to expand it's oil and gas sector. So, really, you have to change a lot of people's minds. If it was just Alberta that wanted this, and no one else, then the Liberals would not have won. The NDP would have. That's not what happened, though. Stop pretending like you guys are all fucking pure as the driven snow. The entire country has been benefiting from Alberta's constant expansion of oil and gas, and it seems Canadians want this to continue.