As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »
    The Speed Champions sets are so cool looking. So tempting every time I walk by.

The worst part is they're relatively cheap sets, so it's basically an impulse buy.

I remind myself I can only have so many lego cars sitting around to stop myself.
    The good news is that you can take N Lego cars, combine the pieces to make 1 car, and boom, now you have space for N-1 Lego cars.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

The worst part is they're relatively cheap sets, so it's basically an impulse buy.

I remind myself I can only have so many lego cars sitting around to stop myself.

Spend enough time in this thread and it will break you. I now have more Legos than I should... And that was before I found this thread.

I meant from a diversity of sets level not stopping myself from getting Lego.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular

Spend enough time in this thread and it will break you. I now have more Legos than I should... And that was before I found this thread.

I've actually been downsizing and selling sets these past few months. I'm saving the money made to buy a UCS Millennium Falcon.

$453/800 so far.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I can't imagine selling my Lego, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have it until I die.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

I've actually been downsizing and selling sets these past few months. I'm saving the money made to buy a UCS Millennium Falcon.

$453/800 so far.

$453/480 if you’re lucky.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine selling my Lego, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have it until I die.

My wife and I already decided that my Niece and/or Nephew will get all of ours and will get the fun job of selling them all.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay serious Lego. Stop making Luke's Landspeeder. Seriously.

I scrolled a little too quickly through that post and almost, for a second, thought 'Obi-Wan's Hut' was actually 'Toshi (sp?) Station' and I was sooooo excited for a few moments.

Also as someone who owns the UCS Millennium Falcon and hasn't assembled it you all should jump on the sale for nothing else but the sheer absurdity of how large the packaging is.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I scrolled a little too quickly through that post and almost, for a second, thought 'Obi-Wan's Hut' was actually 'Toshi (sp?) Station' and I was sooooo excited for a few moments.

Also as someone who owns the UCS Millennium Falcon and hasn't assembled it you all should jump on the sale for nothing else but the sheer absurdity of how large the packaging is.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't built their UCS Falcon.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Lego Optimus Prime truck cab and trailer from Dark of the Moon that I've been working on, off and on. Roll out!

f9tmzbuz5mbj.jpg

Too large. Amazon won't even ship to my mailing address due to the package size restrictions. Bummer.

Raiju on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

S8F3JLJl.jpg
    FhqsdBbl.jpg

I've had my lego in this case since 1989

my daughter will get it... when she's ready

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The second wave of City sets look much better than the first. The safari truck will be mine. Maybe two of them. I think my son is going to want all of the Minecraft sets. The Illager ones are great and the big figs are super cute.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As someone trying to watch his budget and living in a condo, I've resisted the siren's call of most sets recently.

The only one I regret missing out on, oddly enough, is a little Snowspeeder polybag that I spotted in a Target while out in Indianapolis around Gencon. They don't seem to be on Amazon or eBay for reasonable... wait.

Oh. $12 Canadian? That's basically what it was at retail when I spotted it, after conversion.

Okay so good news I'm going to be getting the little 20th Anniversary Snowspeeder! And maybe Poe's X-Wing polybag if I can find it for around the same price.

Yeah, this thread is dangerous, even on small levels. At least this time it's a small purchase of a little Lego, and not, like... a lighting kit for the older Millenium Falcon I got a decade ago.

Though that wasn't all that expensive when I got it for myself last Christmas either.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I've got said Millenium Falcon sitting in a cube on my Ikea storage unit that the TV sits on (one of the 2 x 5(?) rectangle things on its side), and have been pondering clearing out another of the cubby holes and putting one of the small castles I've still got tucked in a box, and perhaps a small pirate ship that's in there as well. Both would likely need substantial work to fix up, but I think it'd make for a nice display bit. Perhaps something to tackle over the holidays.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    The second wave of City sets look much better than the first. The safari truck will be mine. Maybe two of them. I think my son is going to want all of the Minecraft sets. The Illager ones are great and the big figs are super cute.

The ice cream truck us really good!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is the printed 2x1 tile envelope the oldest Lego printed piece still in use?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Sold out, thank goodness.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I recall reading somewhere that the burton batmobile goes on sale Black Friday, can anybody confirm?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    I recall reading somewhere that the burton batmobile goes on sale Black Friday, can anybody confirm?

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/09/black-is-the-new-black-lego-1989-batmobile-76139-review/
    This Black Friday comes the latest LEGO DC exclusive set, LEGO 76139 1989 Batmobile. A 3,306-piece monstrosity is an ultimate copy of the iconic vehicle from Tim Burton’s Batman movie. The set will be available on November 29 for Black Friday and will sell for US $249.99 | CAN $299.99 | UK £219.99.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    WOW, who's ready for some HOT BULLSHIT:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/26/news-the-lego-group-acquires-bricklink-from-nexon-founder-jay-kim-for-undisclosed-sum-interview-with-lego-cmo-julia-goldin/

The interview is just bonkers to me. They're asked about how it seems scummy to be profiting from their own SDCC exclusives and they just go "nah we think it's fine."

Also saying they will probably immediately get rid of brickarms reselling on the site.

This whole site is definitely getting scrapped and folded into their own brand somehow.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I didn't know about this site before so this, interesting that Lego is buying them though. Guess the offer was too good to pass up, or it wasn't worth keeping up

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Wow, that's a huge deal!

I don't think it's good for the community for the secondary market to be controlled by the primary vendor/manufacturer/whatever-you'd-call-it. I'm personally not too bothered by them stopping selling non-Lego products on there, but that's an immediate and obvious change that matters to the people for whom it matters. There's no way for the community to set its own standard when the market is - ultimately - being directly controlled by the Lego Group.

The ideal case is that the Lego Group stays hands-off in terms of policy but provides resources to improve the site, the customer experience, etc. I think it's more likely that the reverse will happen: they'll stay hands-off in terms of giving the marketplace more resources, but will enforce policies on what and how things can be sold.

• Options
    I have heard rumors of the Ninjago City and the Paris restruant both being 30% off this weekend.

It's not insane for me to spend my christmas bonus purely on lego right?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I know this is likely mostly asked in jest, but as a voice of reason killjoy; are all of your debts paid off? Any expected upcoming expenditures? Have several months worth of expenses saved up in case of an emergency? Retirement investments at a reasonable level based on your age and income?

Obviously the thread will usually just say "spend it? Take out a loan and double spend it!", but as someone who is watching friends get older with nothing saved up and few assets to their name, it has become something I'm more aware of and concerned by.

Not everyone needs a million dollar RRSP or 401k in order to justify a frivolous expense or two. Hell, I'm planning on at least one this weekend.. And if a bonus is only a couple hundred bucks or something, obviously it won't lead to a cushy life of luxury one way or another, but it's something I think that shouldn't be ignored entirely either.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

I know this is likely mostly asked in jest, but as a voice of reason killjoy; are all of your debts paid off? Any expected upcoming expenditures? Have several months worth of expenses saved up in case of an emergency? Retirement investments at a reasonable level based on your age and income?

Obviously the thread will usually just say "spend it? Take out a loan and double spend it!", but as someone who is watching friends get older with nothing saved up and few assets to their name, it has become something I'm more aware of and concerned by.

Not everyone needs a million dollar RRSP or 401k in order to justify a frivolous expense or two. Hell, I'm planning on at least one this weekend.. And if a bonus is only a couple hundred bucks or something, obviously it won't lead to a cushy life of luxury one way or another, but it's something I think that shouldn't be ignored entirely either.

I never budget my christmas bonus in so it's always extra, also yes I am financially stable and all that, but it is also a very silly thing to spend a lot of money on.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I never budget my christmas bonus in so it's always extra, also yes I am financially stable and all that, but it is also a very silly thing to spend a lot of money on.

i would find it pretty hard to get up and go to work every day if every once in a while i didn't just spend some money on dumb shit i want.

i have savings and a 401k that i stretch as hard as i can to put money in and i'm cheap and budget every dollar but sometimes i gotta just throw it out the window and buy that set or that game or that collectable because otherwise i'll go insane.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I talk myself into Lego and gaming purchases by calculating how much I save by not having other vices like smoking or drinking like my parents had. This change in vice provides my kids with a healthier and far more toy/game filled childhood too! See? Buying moarrrrr Lego is a sign of my improved parenting too.

Have I just rationalized myself into buying the batmobile in a couple days? Perhaps, my eldest daughter really likes Batman.

• Options
    I have heard rumors of the Ninjago City and the Paris restruant both being 30% off this weekend.

As someone who doesn't care much for the Ninjago line as a whole I have to say that Ninjago City is the best Lego set ever and I would recommend it to anyone.

UCS Millennium Falcon Fund update: $513/$800

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I’m super worried about that Bricklink news. I use it a bunch.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah I have never seen Ninjago and the Ninjago City is one of my favorite sets. It is just so fun to build.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Was bricklink the only secondhand site?

If things get bad there presumably another one will pop up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Well damn, if the in-store date is online, why was the kid at the store so cagey about it? Dang teens. Thanks!

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

i would find it pretty hard to get up and go to work every day if every once in a while i didn't just spend some money on dumb shit i want.

i have savings and a 401k that i stretch as hard as i can to put money in and i'm cheap and budget every dollar but sometimes i gotta just throw it out the window and buy that set or that game or that collectable because otherwise i'll go insane.

As I said, I'm planning at least one major frivolous expense this weekend, I would never scoff at the need to get or do something fun once in a while.

Consider it more of a friendly check to to Doodmann and the thread in general. Like, the ongoing building of savings towards a major set? Awesome!

All kidding aside, the stats on our generation's wealth, savings, retirement prospects, and whatnot have it coming to mind a bit moreso.

Especially in case someone dives into the deep end with 'but this article claims that Lego is an excellent investment vehicle!' style shenanigans (which seems true for now, in some circumstances, but not something I'd hedge years or more of savings on).

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

As someone who doesn't care much for the Ninjago line as a whole I have to say that Ninjago City is the best Lego set ever and I would recommend it to anyone.

In case you missed it, it'll be 40 percent off on Amazon.com on Black Friday.

So congratulations amigo, you're already there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

In case you missed it, it'll be 40 percent off on Amazon.com on Black Friday.

So congratulations amigo, you're already there.

If he can be quick enough to snag one before they’re sold out.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ninjago City Docks and the Apollo Saturn V are two of the five sets at 30% off for today's daily deal at lego.com

Others are Technic Bash!, Cinderella's Dream Castle and the Disney Train & Station.

• Options
    UCS Millennium Falcon was 100% claimed in literally less than a second.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Docks sold out while I was still deciding.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    UCS Millennium Falcon was 100% claimed in literally less than a second.

The app on my phone didn't even get a chance to send a notification. I'm honestly not too surprised though. And it's probably better for me this way seeing as how a TV I wanted had a deal that took a chunk out of my bank account.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I wonder if it's super high volumes of Lego hunters or if they also artificially reduce supply for these sales.

This discussion has been closed.