As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Skirmish maps / ng+ seem like a good DLC possibility.
    One thing I can offer no suggestion for on a gamepad, but would like tightened up, is target designation for force powers.
    Say there's a group of baddies and I'd like to use the force on one in the back; it's basically a matter of getting them dead center on screen. Awkward if they're above the group, but nigh impossible if they are not.
    Best use case:
    Grabbing the probe droids and smacking everyone in the face with them
    Second best: Taking out the commanders first
    Secondary request: Let me pick up the damned K2 droids with the enhanced powers! They're not that big and they're obnoxious
    But since all buttons are spoken for, so the only way I could see making that happen is with a Fallout-style pause mode. Maybe as an additional skill, like Force reflexes (Force PAUSE), but that might negatively alter combat mechanics.

Edit: These effing line

Breaks

I feel like if there was a time slowdown when you are looking to target a force power would be helpful. Like when you click the Force Pull button, maybe it slows down for a split second so you can cycle targets.

I felt like my Force Powers would miss my intended target several times. I'd have a group of three storm troopers coming towards me and I want to mass push them off the bridge, yet when I do a big push I end up targeting some purge trooper further back. :(

Or double tap the button to pause? Then you don't break up the action if you don't need to or tapped it by accident / changed your mind after realizing you didn't have time

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So one thing that helps at least with Chests/etc - the map actually has each section broken down as far as how many chests area in that area and whether or not you are finished exploring that section.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just wrapped the story on this up. Overall I am beyond pleased with how this game turned out. The performance issues are unfortunate because otherwise it's an incredible opener for Respawn as a Star Wars developer and their first foray in to this style of game play and combat. The performance issues really started to crop up for me over the final section of the game which put a small damper on what was an incredibly epic section, but all in all I'm still really happy with it.

(Everything below will have full game spoilers)

In terms of combat and difficulty:
    Overall I thought the combat system got interesting by the end of the game but it started slow. A lot of the skills that create the more flowy lightsaber style that is so fun to play are back loaded. Plus you need the double-bladed light saber to really start to flow with combos and unless you go find that early you won't have it for a bit.

Difficulty wise I never found the game that tough on Jedi Master. In retrospect I probably should have played on Grand Master as a veteran of this style. That said I wasn't sad that I found it a nice relaxing romp for the most part. It was fun to explore and kill mooks with relative ease. Only one boss gave me any trouble and that was Trilla. I needed around nine or ten attempts to get all her patterns down and finally beat her. I completely understand why they didn't make this game as punishing as a Soulsborne. I like the way they made the difficulty system require you to be more defensive and have better timing, but didn't make the enemies big HP sponges. Making the parry timing window part of the difficulty settings was a stroke of genius in my opinion.

On the story
    What a Star Wars ass Star Wars story! I really enjoyed it. Respawn really seemed to grasp very quickly what makes a good Star War story, and very specifically a good Jedi story. It feels like choosing the right difficulty setting for your skills as a player actually feeds in to the tone they wanted to bring to the story: Yes you're a Jedi, yes compared to the average Storm Trooper you're a demi-god, but you're not invincible. There are things you should fear and enemies you should study and engage tactically.

One thing about the story I didn't fully understand is how Malicos fit in to it all. Was he somehow connected to the story and the holocron outside of being a Jedi who survived Order 66 and then went insane/turned to the Dark Side? I feel like I missed a cut scene or an item scan or something that explained more about him.

All in all really enjoyed this game. Not sure if I'll 100%, but who knows. I still really enjoy just romping through the world and being a Jedi, so I might knock out the last few chests I need at some point.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited November 2019
    So one thing that helps at least with Chests/etc - the map actually has each section broken down as far as how many chests area in that area and whether or not you are finished exploring that section.

Helpful, but still annoying* when the area/planet is "Explored," n/n secrets and n-1/n chests. If they tagged even just the open chests you could at least do a quick check online for which one you missed.

*(Especially when you know you'd opened it in a previous crash-timeline)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited November 2019
    Minimal Spoiler request for late game (post new saber color)
    Will the story take me back to Zeffo again before the end? If not I've got like a dozen chests I'll want to go scoop up before I finish up the plot

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Will the story take me back to Zeffo again before the end? If not I've got like a dozen chests I'll want to go scoop up before I finish up the plot
    It will not.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    On the story
    One thing about the story I didn't fully understand is how Malicos fit in to it all. Was he somehow connected to the story and the holocron outside of being a Jedi who survived Order 66 and then went insane/turned to the Dark Side? I feel like I missed a cut scene or an item scan or something that explained more about him.
    In a word, no.
    Really, he just forms a thematic trifecta with Cal and Cere about dealing with the feelings of loss brought on by Order 66 and its aftermath. Trilla plays into this as well, but her story is really a part of Cere's story. I guess they wanted a separate representative for whom Order 66 and its aftermath caused resentment and hatred of the Order to metastasize. With Trilla, this comes from Cere's betrayal of her, but Malicos—going by what he tells you directly—already had some issues with the Jedi Order while he was a master in it. The Order's destruction "proved" him correct about what he perceived as their flaws, and so the hatred and resentment that was already there flourished.

Like Cere, he has a vision for a future order of force users, but if he'd known about the holocron (he has no reason to know about it), I figure he'd have brought it up when trying to recruit you. So the connection is thematic, but not really plot-oriented.

Sneaks on
    As far as being able to go back You can load your save after you complete the game and it basically drops you before the point of no return in the story.

Sneaks wrote: »
    It will not.
    Man. Cal really dropped the ball on chest spotting, then.
    Thinking back, I probably meant to hit that checkpoint in the caves and double back, but was inconveniently shanghaied. So the Haxion Brood are messing with my achievements now? This will not stand.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Fatal non-combat sequences never fail to be the death of me.
    Went through Gorgana. Started the climbing part. Got stuck midway and died.

Giving me Dead Space flashbacks.

Dathomir is seriously giving me play Tomb Raider next-isms.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    For the record: Not a fan of big, multi-stage arena fights with multiple boss monsters.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    For the record: Not a fan of big, multi-stage arena fights with multiple boss monsters.

There are a couple, which one in particular are you having trouble with (please spoiler if it's a plot fight)? Generally these fights are your lesson to not always use lock on.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I hate Kashyyyk. I hate Dathomir. And now (unless I decide to collect every echo ever) I never have to go back to either.

Now I just have to explore Zeffo... :(

GnomeTank wrote: »

There are a couple, which one in particular are you having trouble with (please spoiler if it's a plot fight)? Generally these fights are your lesson to not always use lock on.

It was the first one I encountered.
    I ran into a bounty hunter while trying to leave Zeffo after the second tomb, and got abducted. I started in a cell without BD or my lightsaber and had to escape to the arena.
    I did get through it after a few tries, but it wasn't fun.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    There are a couple of annoying fights where additional enemies show up part way through, before you've cleared a full wave. Can get reeeeaaaalllly annoying if one or two of the wrong enemies sticks around into the next wave. And what's really annoying is which ones you should kill first is dictated by what shows up next, which you can't know if you haven't made it that far through the fight yet.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zeffo has the
    Venator wreck

to explore so it's already awesome in my book. Most of it isn't even attached to the main quest.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    For me, too many of the fights against relatively major enemies (not just bosses per se) devolve into me rolling around until my Force meter charges enough to hit them with "slow time". Which, come to think of it, is how a lot of my fights in Witcher 3 went. Maybe I'm just not very good?

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Zeffo has the
    Venator wreck

to explore so it's already awesome in my book. Most of it isn't even attached to the main quest.

Following all of the force echos in that part was super immersive. I love this game's timeline.

camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2019
    The tail end of...
    The Malicos fight is just stupid and annoying with the cheese he cranks out when under 1/5th his life bar.
    And IDK even know what Merrin is supposed to be doing other making him dodge.
    That is all.
    edit:no, wait... the fact that you...
    don't even kill him yourself just makes that even more annoying.

tastydonuts on
    The tail end of...
    The Malicos fight is just stupid and annoying with the cheese he cranks out when under 1/5th his life bar.
    That is all.

She's
    eating his guard in giant chunks if that ball hits

Otherwise, entirely agreed. That's the fight that pissed me off enough to go digging around for exact parry/combo mechanics. Spoiler, you get a lot less pissed off if you're not trying to do something the game engine isn't designed to let you do.

edited November 2019
    dporowski wrote: »
    The tail end of...
    That is all.

She's

Otherwise, entirely agreed. That's the fight that pissed me off enough to go digging around for exact parry/combo mechanics. Spoiler, you get a lot less pissed off if you're not trying to do something the game engine isn't designed to let you do.

what had been working for me....
    if he didn't just chain his combos over and over again was the switch attack. he'd block most of it into breaking his guard and such.

But, when I beat him, he had no life left and it took 3 heals worth of him just spamming moves just to breathe on him and end the fight. sooooo annoying.

Both of the variants of that attack are pretty effective against most of the enemies.

tastydonuts on
    edited November 2019
    I ended up with
    playing very defensively until I could pop his guard with one hit/a parry, then the DW overhand swing just chunked his health. I think playing aggressively will also work, but I tended to do poorly on those attempts, so stuck with parries until I could get in for a giant chunk of HP. And then, of course, chaos at 20%.

Seriously, that attack is nuts. It hit for 50% of the Dathomir beast's health when I went in. Little shit killed me because I was so surprised my opener did that. It 2-shots AT-STs, too.

Edit: I have also spent time playing around with the neutral-stick dodge, and good christ, if you get it clicking, that thing is stupid-good. "Precision" does seem to be timing-based, as my stormtrooper test subject only got slowed in some cases. (And I doubt an ICD.) The iframes on it, though, wow.

dporowski on
    The Ninth Sister finally drove me to drop the difficulty to story mode. I regret nothing.

Also, after you first get double-jump, and you need to double-jump from vine to vine to bouncy plant to wallrun -- whoever came up with that, I'd like to have a frank & open exchange of views with them.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm reading the excellent art book, and apparently Cal was meant to have collectible helmets/masks at one point.

I can see why they didn't go with it, but damn that would have been cool to have.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    The tail end of...
    That is all.

She's

With the increased enemy aggression on GM she basically never ever hits because he's already charged or leaped after you and out of the way of her shot. She just distracted me and got me killed more than anything. Or most frustratingly, she hits but it's when you've gotten his block stamina low enough that she breaks it and you aren't close enough to hit him before he gets it all back.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »
    The tail end of...
    That is all.

She's

With the increased enemy aggression on GM she basically never ever hits because he's already charged or leaped after you and out of the way of her shot. She just distracted me and got me killed more than anything. Or most frustratingly, she hits but it's when you've gotten his block stamina low enough that she breaks it and you aren't close enough to hit him before he gets it all back.

Yeah,
    That's about her net contribution on Jedi Master too.

So, I've officially collected everything in the game save for the one secret that didn't get counted. I'm torn between waiting for the patch to end the game, or just doing it now and coming back to it.

I still have to do empowered slow kills for some reason too. not sure what the deal is with that.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm reading the excellent art book, and apparently Cal was meant to have collectible helmets/masks at one point.

I can see why they didn't go with it, but damn that would have been cool to have.

Tbf if I were a developer I'd make any excuse to show off that ridiculously lush ginger Unreal Engine hair lol

edited November 2019
    For me, too many of the fights against relatively major enemies (not just bosses per se) devolve into me rolling around until my Force meter charges enough to hit them with "slow time". Which, come to think of it, is how a lot of my fights in Witcher 3 went. Maybe I'm just not very good?

Precision dodge (press dodge without any other inputs when you are about to get hit) is pretty amazing if you can do it. Finally utilizing thaThat is what got me through that large fight.
    The tail end of...
    That is all.

She's

what had been working for me....
    if he didn't just chain his combos over and over again was the switch attack. he'd block most of it into breaking his guard and such.

But, when I beat him, he had no life left and it took 3 heals worth of him just spamming moves just to breathe on him and end the fight. sooooo annoying.

Both of the variants of that attack are pretty effective against most of the enemies.
    Force pull him pretty much every time he does something fancy and it breaks him out of the animation to block the pull. After that it’s just learning to defend and attack his pattern outside of those but force pull makes that fight significantly easier.

FuriousJodo on
  • RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    @tastydonuts re: the Slow challenge
    It took me a while to figure this out, but Slow behaves somewhat weirdly. With Push/Pull, if you hold the button, it just fires off the empowered version right away. With Slow, it applies the regular slow effect immediately, but you have to hold the button for a few seconds before the empowered effect kicks in.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well I got this. On the second world and ready to head to the third and so far it is a resounding “okay”.

It does a lot of potentially fun things but just does them “okay”.

It took me a while to figure this out, but Slow behaves somewhat weirdly. With Push/Pull, if you hold the button, it just fires off the empowered version right away. With Slow, it applies the regular slow effect immediately, but you have to hold the button for a few seconds before the empowered effect kicks in.

Yeah, Ive been holding it a few seconds, but not long enough for the aoe to pop off... not sure if Im doing it for too long though? idk

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Yeah, Ive been holding it a few seconds, but not long enough for the aoe to pop off... not sure if Im doing it for too long though? idk

The Aoe counts!
    there's a nice easy set of rat bugs on Bogano at the start that are really easy to farm up for that achievement, at least that';s what I ended up doing

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

The Aoe counts!
    there's a nice easy set of rat bugs on Bogano at the start that are really easy to farm up for that achievement, at least that';s what I ended up doing

Really? Maybe I'm just impatient then. I switched to the rat bugs last night. I mean, it's supposed to be 25, right?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It definitely took a bit longer than I thought but I think it's the only way to be sure that you get empowered rather than regular

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited November 2019
    yeah, it'll probably pop on the first kill I do tonight.
    ... or it'll take an hour to unlock.
    but I think I'm pretty much set to unlock everything that I can at this point.

tastydonuts on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    This game has made me realize that we (ie: devs) need to figure out a better way to handle dodging in these 3rd person action games. Whether it's this, Darksouls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, God of War, etc these games have put in so much effort to make fighting/dueling look super organic and cool but as soon as you need to dodge/roll it completely breaks the flow of combat.

I would love to see a system where you could dodge but your character doesn't go rolling across the room. It seems particularly relevant for a game like this where IRL people sword-fighting/lightsaber dueling can dodge and weave in place (think like a boxer) instead of constantly leaping all over. I feel like such a badass in this and Sekiro when I'm up close and dueling but as soon as I have to dodge it kind of breaks the illusion.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I would love to see a system where you could dodge but your character doesn't go rolling across the room. It seems particularly relevant for a game like this where IRL people sword-fighting/lightsaber dueling can dodge and weave in place (think like a boxer) instead of constantly leaping all over. I feel like such a badass in this and Sekiro when I'm up close and dueling but as soon as I have to dodge it kind of breaks the illusion.

As janky as Yakuza games often are, the semi-automated bob-and-weave dodge of Rush-mode in Yakuza 0 & Kiwami is very satisfying and seems like a good place to iterate to achieve what you have in mind.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Working on the neutral dodge and got the Kicking Back cheevo, now I'm truly a Jedi.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2019
    This game has made me realize that we (ie: devs) need to figure out a better way to handle dodging in these 3rd person action games. Whether it's this, Darksouls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, God of War, etc these games have put in so much effort to make fighting/dueling look super organic and cool but as soon as you need to dodge/roll it completely breaks the flow of combat.

This game has multiple levels of dodge, and you can with circle-strafe many opponents if you don't feel like dodging?

tastydonuts on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Wow this game turned out just fuckin' great. The only thing I have 100%'d yet is a couple exploration points. Damn fine, super fun, I'll take three more please.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The biggest problem I have is that they did a "We have a parry system but not really" because when it comes to the big beasts, parrying their attacks doesn't give you an opening so you can't really take advantage of the parry system to its fullest and have to constantly dodge everything, even non flashy attacks you're not supposed to have to dodge.

Oh never mind I forgot my BIGGEST problem is the "now you're stuck in a corner because you can't dodge around the enemy" combined with "You're in the corner so here's first person perspective camera that is useless".

It also does the cardinal sin of blaster fire coming from off screen.

Viskod on