As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forwarding the same port to 2 different computers?

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
I need port 443 forwarded to a computer that runs an online service. Computer A

I have a 2nd computer that also needs port 443 forwarded for a 2nd online service. Computer B

I have port 443 forwarded in my router to A.

When I removed the forwarding in the router and had 2 separate entries for port 443 in my firewall, services on Computer A quit working and didn't see any improvement in Computer B.

I do have a 2nd ISP/router on the same network that I can aim Computer B to but when I did, the service didn't connect at all outside of the building. Waited around 5 hours after changing my external DNS entries for Computer B and had port forwarding in the 2nd router.

Any way I can get around this?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I assume you're trying to do this on a residential Internet connection like DSL or cable, which means you have a single public IPv4 address, and that address is dynamically-assigned.

In that case, no you cannot do this. You need to either:

1) Obtain a second IP address from your ISP.
    or
    2) Forward a different port to the second computer. For example, you can forward 444 to computer-b:443, and you just tell whoever needs to connect to computer-b to use port 444.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Look into Policy-based routing.
    You may be able to find what you are looking for going that route depending on what sets the traffic to your two servers apart, however you will likely need something more advanced than what most ISP routers are capable of ie. a Linux box or a more fancy router.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    It's a static public IP.

Both need Port 443 TCP.

Funny that Computer B's desktop app works outside of the building but the android app doesn't...

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's a static public IP.

Both need Port 443 TCP.

Funny that Computer B's desktop app works outside of the building but the android app doesn't...

Well, then you need to ask your ISP for a second IP address.

(That said, nothing truly "needs" port 443. Ports can be arbitrarily assigned.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    My network has 2 ISP with 2 separate routers for reasons.

When moving computer B to router 2, computer B's online service quits working entirely. Public DNS changed, port forwarding done, etc.

When port 443 quits being forwarded to computer A, A's online service quits working.

Computer A is running Microsoft Exchange and Computer B is running Skype for business.

OWA in exchange quits working entirely when no 443 is forwarded to it.

My network has 2 ISP with 2 separate routers for reasons.

Somehow I missed this in the first post. Probably because I was posting on mobile and it was likely below the bottom of my screen.

When moving computer B to router 2, computer B's online service quits working entirely. Public DNS changed, port forwarding done, etc.

When port 443 quits being forwarded to computer A, A's online service quits working.

Computer A is running Microsoft Exchange and Computer B is running Skype for business.

OWA in exchange quits working entirely when no 443 is forwarded to it.

Well, OWA needs to have a port open to be accessible from the outside, and it defaults to 443. You can change that, but you don't need to.

I recommend breaking this into two separate problems. Leave Exchange on router-a, leave 443 forwarding turned on in router-a. That should keep Exchange happy.

Then you need to figure out why Skype for Business stops working on router-b. I don't know enough about Skype for Business to help with that.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Then you need to figure out why Skype for Business stops working on router-b. I don't know enough about Skype for Business to help with that.

Nor I, but for starters: Can you verify if PC-A works on Router-2; or if ISP-2 is blocking 443 or other ports required by Skype?

ArbitraryDescriptor on