As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Does the drop chance for ancient/primal change depending on the source? I.E. is it a 10/.8 (I think?)% regardless of whether it's shards, cube, drop, or craft?

EDIT: I've been trying to figure out why my dps seems limited to ~GR50 for my minion build when in theory my gear should put me well higher. More being ancient would help but shouldn't be making or breaking it. I think I need to just get out of my comfort on my skill/rune build and try some of the builds others use even if they're not what I'm used to. The Pestilence build felt really weird (and still isn't super fluid, in part because I'm not used to it, and in part because I think I need a lot more CDR...until yesterday I really wasn't focusing too much on specific stats as much as the +/- % gear was giving, which has become abundantly clear is often completely irrelevant to your actual output), but I figured it out.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Honestly, I feel like necro is just not in a great place for Solo play? You're hideously squishy, and your power tends to be locked behind land of the dead.
    When it's up you sure can mess sup everything ever on screen but the moment it goes down... Well.
    I know the big necro builds are LOD corpse Lance (https://www.d3planner.com/765755391)
    And thorns (abusing dead ringer) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0lhggOhY4
    If you're set on a pet build, have a look at the witch doctor Zuni/dod build, which involves summoning an army of cute little murder buddies and making them spit darts in people's faces https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/witch-doctor-zuni-carnevil-poison-dart-build
    If you want something easy to play, PoJ Monk with Tempest Rush when setup properly turns you into a wrecking ball - I can causally do 3min clears at t75, and the same at t85 if I get a good map - this is with okay ancient weapons, no augments on my gear, and bane of the trapped + taeguk at level 75. (I'm running alvl25 wreathe of lighting in my 3rd legendary gem slot because GOTTA GO FAST).
    This is not even using the optimized flurry version, I'm using a tweaked electric field version (so no squirts, using dashing strike, no sanctuary or binding flash)
    Pojmonk is silly good

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Primals are weird. I've only got two so far and they're for the exact same item. Talk about bad luck.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Primals are weird. I've only got two so far and they're for the exact same item. Talk about bad luck.

Would you like to hear about my Blackthorne primal from a season or two ago?

In better news, I got two more pieces of the justice set so was able to get that set going and took an immediate jump from torment 9 to 13 and still breezed through that so will probably settle around 14 or 15 until I get a better weapon & more gems to upgrade.

steam_sig.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular

My first season back was the same for me. And it rolled exactly the same type of stats.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Playing Crusader this season, and decided to just go with Roland's. What is my best strategy for getting the gear I want? I looked up a guide to get an idea of what's out there. I definitely want Golden Flense and Denial, the weapon and shield that seem made for Roland. What should I be doing to try to get those? I'm running GRifts and upgrading Rares, reforging Legendaries. Are there tiers of drops? Like X gear won't even drop unless I'm running GR40+?

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Get the cube and use death’s breaths to upgrade 2h flails for golden flense. Use blood shards on shields, but you’ll get crusader shields too, so once you have flense you may want to start upgrading regular shields. Don’t worry about reforging that much, it’s too expensive.

The only “tiers” are that lvl 70 sets won’t drop below torment difficulty, and primal ancients unlock after soloing GR70 but can then appear anywhere. Regular ancients can drop from anywhere, but there’s supposedly a vaguely higher chance on higher difficulty.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

I reworked my Rathma/singularity build and managed to solo GR 75 for the conquest, but I feel like I'm definitely reaching the limit of what I can do with necro solo. I don't really like the singularity flow, the constant emptying of your resource and reliance on the short window of land of the dead to move smoothly just bums me out. I'd rather use normal mages and always be on the move but they just don't put out the necessary damage at higher difficulty.

It might not be the most ideal use of my time but I think I'll just speed run lower GRs (50 or so) that are trivial with even normal mages, and level a bunch of 25 gem of eases for a leveling set to trivially level any class, and use the blood shards on crusader to get sets. But seeing the monk rush and Barb WW builds look appealing too. And simultaneously try to put together a full ancient non-set loadout for that conquest (and level the gem some).

Actually I should also do the other two necro set dungeons I haven't done. Rathmas was irritating as hell, pestilence was super easy. Dunno what kind of builds the other two even are, but they're sitting in my cache.

Oh, if I reroll a primal, will it stay primal?

Reforge makes an entirely new item, so it re-rolls whether it’s normal/ancient/primal

Noggin wrote: »
    Reforge makes an entirely new item, so it re-rolls whether it’s normal/ancient/primal

And on the other side, it is possible to reroll a normal into a primal, just a very low percentage chance. (as long as you're not rerolling a set piece into another set piece, that will never give you a legendary/primal)

steam_sig.png
    That's good to know, thanks.

Another question, given the cost of empowering a GR, if my goal is to level a bunch of 25 gem of eases, would my best bet be to do GR30 because it is cheaper to empower? What is the level above a gem you need to be for it to be 100% upgrade?

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Your GR level has to be 10 levels above the current level of your gem for 100% upgrade chance. Assuming you empower and don't die in a rift, you get 5 total upgrades, which means your GR level needs to be 14 levels above the level of the gem you plan to empower (before starting the run). So to get a gem of ease from 20 to 25, you'd need to do at least a level 34 GR, since the last upgrade you're doing is 24->25.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So, late to the party and all but they're totally launching with five classes because they're planning on monetizing additional classes as a way to make their extra loot, right?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

Another question, given the cost of empowering a GR, if my goal is to level a bunch of 25 gem of eases, would my best bet be to do GR30 because it is cheaper to empower? What is the level above a gem you need to be for it to be 100% upgrade?

You can only ever use 1 gem of ease at a time there is no point in leveling multiple

Al_wat wrote: »

You can only ever use 1 gem of ease at a time there is no point in leveling multiple

I think they mean for the recipe that reduces level requirement of items to 1, but your point stands because the time cost of over 300 gem levels ( 13x25 ) is waaay more than the time saved using it, especially when you can just get a powerlevel.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular

I think they mean for the recipe that reduces level requirement of items to 1, but your point stands because the time cost of over 300 gem levels ( 13x25 ) is waaay more than the time saved using it, especially when you can just get a powerlevel.

This is definitely the case for seasons, but I've done it for non-seasonal.

Cain's set, generic legendaries, spread the stats around and spec for whatever main stat with gems. Depending on which difficulty you can handle (which may depend largely on your existing paragon level), you can powerlevel yourself 1-70 really fast.

edited November 2019
    Yeah I know it isn't practical, just the sort of thing I enjoy.

And I can do a GR 30 in 2-3m, and 5 levels a run, only 20-30m or so per item (with key runs included) and it really isn't a big deal.

But yeah, 2pc Cain and born for +70% xp (plus a leoric, hellfire and Ruby in the helm) and one last ease for the +xp in a weapon on a primal 2h, and most of the items have +xp/kill. Also for the hell of it 2pc sage for the deaths breaths 61+, rorg in the cube to make em all 3pc. EDIT: Ends up being like +200% xp and 5-6k xp/kill before any bonuses.

Totally unnecessary, sure, but fun for me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Cool just did the GR45 solo with no set items with my Barb for my third Conquest so now I just gotta to level some gems and cube some legendaries and I’ll have this season done.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Finished up my seasonal journey with my crusader tonight. I've only tried pushing myself to something like GR93 and I'm killing bosses in a couple seconds so kinda curious how far I could go but might just call it good there.

Sure seems like the PC clan is a lot lighter on players then a year or two back. Trying to get groups together has been pretty rough so I've been mostly outside of power leveling peeps.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Finished up my seasonal journey with my crusader tonight. I've only tried pushing myself to something like GR93 and I'm killing bosses in a couple seconds so kinda curious how far I could go but might just call it good there.

Sure seems like the PC clan is a lot lighter on players then a year or two back. Trying to get groups together has been pretty rough so I've been mostly outside of power leveling peeps.

Yeah we sort of fade out after the first weekend or two. I still need to get back in and finish up the season so plan on trying to get online this weekend.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Ill be playing sunday and maybe tonight, depends how tired i am after 12h of work.

Im like 90% of the time up for grouping. Even with people a lot lower in paragons, i can carry or do speeds. Im already over 1000 paragon lol

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Anybody know any hot Necro builds that don't use Land of the Dead? I'm running 6-piece Rathma but Army of the Dead seems to be hot garbage for something with such a long CD.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    You could try siphon blood with iron rose ( free death novas ). It’s pretty amusing, but kinda rough outside the LoN version. Also grim scythe generator, but that build is masochism incarnate.

Army of the Dead in Rathma is vestigial, the same way Rend in Wastes was completely ignored in pre-patch whirlwind barb.

You could try siphon blood with iron rose ( free death novas ). It’s pretty amusing, but kinda rough outside the LoN version. Also grim scythe generator, but that build is masochism incarnate.

Army of the Dead in Rathma is vestigial, the same way Rend in Wastes was completely ignored in pre-patch whirlwind barb.

Did that annoying giant mage build use LoD? I can't remember.

oosik_betsuni.png
    LoN/LoD Singularity Mage? Ya that uses it too. Even builds that don’t use essence want it for 10 seconds of safety + full power from Krysbin’s.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    RedTide wrote: »
    So, late to the party and all but they're totally launching with five classes because they're planning on monetizing additional classes as a way to make their extra loot, right?

They've explicitly said more classes are for expansions. So yeah, monitized, but not neccessarily MTX'd.

Of course that was probably the plan for D3 as well.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

They've explicitly said more classes are for expansions. So yeah, monitized, but not neccessarily MTX'd.

Of course that was probably the plan for D3 as well.

Pretty sure the Necromancer was a test run for selling new character classes. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just to test the market for the eventual D4. I was under the impression it did pretty well, so I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more like it in D3.

Of course, my definition and ActiBlizzard's definition of "doing well" probably have a substantial different between them, so...

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Para 340 and still not seen either piece of the Jesseth set drop. Gotta... keep... reaping...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    see317 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Necromancer was a test run for selling new character classes. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just to test the market for the eventual D4. I was under the impression it did pretty well, so I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more like it in D3.
    According to Jason Schrier it was not. It was just a project to busy people when "Diablo Souls" was cancelled before they started work on the current Diablo IV.
    Also there's uh pretty strong leaks about who the pale guy is in the D4 cinematic. Based on timestamps in the metadata of Blizzard's own videos available for media partners.
    Metadata refers to him as Rathma. I have no idea why Rathma would bow to Lilith as a "blessed mother", but I also know they aren't the best with their own lore and continuity.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Necromancer pack is 31% off again. Feel like it’s never been below that?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Managed to get some good GR pushes in last night. Got a solo 112, 3-person 112 (i think it was 112?). 4 person was somewhere in the 106-110 range?

I'm planning on gearing up a zbarb for support over today for even better group pushing

Managed to get some good GR pushes in last night. Got a solo 112, 3-person 112 (i think it was 112?). 4 person was somewhere in the 106-110 range?

I'm planning on gearing up a zbarb for support over today for even better group pushing

Yeah that 112 was fun, although I started to fall asleep playing and ended up attacking a wall twice in there. The first 111 we ran was a perfect storm to kill you off though. Man that was rough.

Also that lag is terrible. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I'm not sure that the lag we were experiencing is a thing that can or will be fixed; it seems to always happen when there is too much going on. Too many monsters and too many tics of damage and effects happening at the same time.

I've decided I also want to get a zMonk geared up, not sure I can accomplish that today, but we'll see. Both zBarb and zMonk supports seem to be in high demand.

There's also a group DPS variant of the WW barb that uses Messerschmidt's Reaver 2H axe as well as Focus and Restraint rings. It might be reliant on having supports in group though. I've saved a couple non ancient versions of that weapon, i may run bounties and reroll it until I get a good one.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I had a Bounty game get really laggy about 3/4 of the way through last night, and it basically persisted until everyone left at the end. I haven't had persistent lag like that in D3 in a long time. It felt like release week.

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I always forget what a slog getting to 70 is. I don't know why I insist on broke braining this on PC and Switch, but at least leveling on Switch seems to be faster.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Up to level 65 doing ~ 130k damage. I bumped it up to master(?) from hard once I got a couple of really big damage weapons. The red gems were losing their steam, lol. I figure Tuesday I'll have some time and get up to 70.

Well things fell into place pretty quickly, I only have to cube 12 more affixes and get 3 gems to 75 and I'm done with the season and get to collect a goblin angel pet. Now I have to decide if I want to farm up the new crusader set to give that a try.

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is it me, or are goblins not piñatas like they used to be?

This discussion has been closed.