As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I....despise...Malus. With a passion usually reserved for real-life cryptonazis.
    He's just the edgelordiest of a race of edgelords.

Deathmaster Snikch on the other hand is good....though not as good as THE GREAT AND MIGHTY THANQUOL.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I very much doubt they would do a Brettonia lord for Warhammer 2 and make it ME only. Also there’s Brettonians on the Vortex map where Araby should be, so he will likely start there.

Repanse de Lyonesse having Henri le Massif as a Legendary Hero is pretty cool.

-Loki- on
    She. She will likely start there. Repanse de Lyonesse, aka "The Lady of War". She's basically a brettonian version of Joan of Arc.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry, mistyped.

Interesting that the Steam page indicates Sniktch can still do agent actions. It talks about the various things Eshin agents can do, and then says he can also burn down entire cities.

I wonder how that’s going to work.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, mistyped.

Interesting that the Steam page indicates Sniktch can still do agent actions. It talks about the various things Eshin agents can do, and then says he can also burn down entire cities.

I wonder how that’s going to work.

Probably get an extra option to the "Assault/Break Siege/Maintain Siege" menu.
    I'm very curious about the "Clan Eshin triad" unit.

edited November 2019
    I just find it amusing they say the Triad unit is an alternative to Clanrats and Stormvermin while, in the same sentence, say they have a different battlefield role.

I’ll likely finally start up my Ikit campaign with even more ridiculous artillery and war machines being added to Skaven.

-Loki- on
    I honestly wonder how globadiers, mortars and plagueclaw catapults are going to work without rendering at least one of them irrelevant.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I just find it amusing they say the Triad unit is an alternative to Clanrats and Stormvermin while, in the same sentence, say they have a different battlefield role.

I’ll likely finally start up my Ikit campaign with even more ridiculous artillery and war machines being added to Skaven.
    I might do the same. Ikits vortex campaign was a ton of fun. CA confirmed the new weapons team will be upgradeable in the workshop playing as Ikit which is nice.

danx on
    I played around with some Skaven when Ikit was released and had a look at the Workshop. It definitely makes him the most entertaining Skaven Lord. Good to hear the new stuff got added to it.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Repanse might finally be the one to get me to do a Bret campaign also.

I probably shouldn't do a 4th Skaven campaign for Eshin after I finish my Skyre run but I just fucking love me my murder rats...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, Repanse has been confirmed as being playable in Vortex. Brettonia's not my favorite army, but it's cool they're just straight making them playable in Vortex for free.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Well, they’re a free race in WH1 aren’t they? Makes sense they decided to do it for WH2 as well.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I wonder what their campaign mission will be. In WH1 and WH2 it was a choice between a Crusade against Greenskins or a Crusade against Chaos/norsca. There aren’t really that many of either to speak of in Vortex.

I’m guessing another Huntsmarahal style “its just a big misunderstanding” style campaign against tomb kings? Skaven are too dispersed, as are vamp pirates. An option for Tomb kings or Dark Elves like in the original campaign might be interesting.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Just a day after the official announcement, Youtubers already have their hands on the new DLC. IndiePride of milkandcookiesTW has a couple of really well edited battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIxUrC3t4w

I wonder what their campaign mission will be. In WH1 and WH2 it was a choice between a Crusade against Greenskins or a Crusade against Chaos/norsca. There aren’t really that many of either to speak of in Vortex.

I’m guessing another Huntsmarahal style “its just a big misunderstanding” style campaign against tomb kings? Skaven are too dispersed, as are vamp pirates. An option for Tomb kings or Dark Elves like in the original campaign might be interesting.

Misunderstanding? Tomb kings are undead and Brettonia does not have a good relationship with the undead. Any undead.

Turin has a mew unit breakdown video. The Dark Elf stuff is still under NDA though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsbk0ZxxjW0

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll add Ariel and we'll be able to play murder butterfly in the Vortex campaign? The Vortex campaign mechanic actually makes sense for Amber, unlike ME.

(in fact yes, just remodel the Wood Elf ME campaign to resemble the Vortex campaign, where acquiring key forest locations provides Amber over a number of turns and maybe change the lookouts to have multiple developments but not behave as minor settlements, and Wood Elves might feel a bit better)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    One more thing of note is that the free update will also have some significant QOL improvements. One of those improvements is a 60% decrease in wait times between turns. This should, hopefully, make those Mortal Empires campaigns more bearable.

Yea boooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiii

My shortest yea boi yet

edited November 2019
    About the new stuff being added to the Skryre workshop, going by the reddit post that confirmed it they’ve also added Poisoned Wind Globadiers to the workshop, as well as the new drill things.

Someone asked about Rapanse on Reddit regarding the fact that she’s dead as per the current timeline, and a CA staff responded that the timeline doesn’t mean much and to think if TWWH as Warhammer Smash Bros.

It hasn’t gone down well.

-Loki- on
    Hah, couldn’t help but notice the triads are specifically listed as guan dao infantry.

Hah, couldn’t help but notice the triads are specifically listed as guan dao infantry.

A bunch of the new Skaven units and heroes are from or at least trained in the far east of the Warhammer World. This is the first real connection anything in Total Warhammer has gotten to Cathy and Nippon. I know it's kind of wishful thinking but this could be a strong indicator that one or the other faction could be in Total Warhammer 3. Especially after 3K.

If just one is going to be in it would probably be Cathay. Otherwise there would be a really awkward gap in the map.

edited November 2019
    If just one is going to be in it would probably be Cathay. Otherwise there would be a really awkward gap in the map.

It could end up as a large Lothern sided island on the other side of Lustria. I hope they turn the map into a tube world like Civ so we can have both Cathay and Nippon.

That_Guy on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    One more thing of note is that the free update will also have some significant QOL improvements. One of those improvements is a 60% decrease in wait times between turns. This should, hopefully, make those Mortal Empires campaigns more bearable.

Yea boooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Do we know if this will affect campaigns in progress? I've got an Empire campaign going on that's starting to get bogged down a bit and I'd looove if it would suddenly start loading 60% faster...

edited November 2019
    Oh shit 60% reduction in turn times?! Fuck yeah!

I wonder if they’re finally doing something to work with multicore processors.

-Loki- on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Are the death runners and gutter runners useful in the campaign at all? They just seemed weak the last time I looked.

Gutter Runners kind of lost a lot of their luster with all the Skryer units added, but they've always been fairly effective skirmishers and I deploy them in siege battles sometimes to sneak over and open gates. Death Runners I've never had much luck with though.

Watching some of the videos on the new units, Snikch has some amazing animation work. He has a super fast anime dash like in the trailer, as well as a maneuver where he does a backflip and hurls a bunch of shurikens. Plus just a neat idle animation where he sets his blades down and seems to meditate briefly. Though I am somewhat disappointed by the design of the Eshin Sorcerer. Looks more like a mini-grey seer. Was hoping for something like WFRP 2nd Editions official art for them, which can be seen here.

edited November 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Are the death runners and gutter runners useful in the campaign at all? They just seemed weak the last time I looked.

Gutter runners are good at slowing down enemy infantry and heavy cavalry, their poison and dodge also make them surprisingly good at fighting enemy archers (just not really tough ones like dwarfs or elite elves).
    Deathrunners are extremely efficient flanking and the hidden dark horse of the skaven roster. They're fast and their weeping blades debuff enemy units pretty heavily. Throw them into the back of a unit that stormvermin are already fighting and it's crazy how fast the enemy melts.

Deathrunners was a favorite of mine when using Tretch (since he's so good at ambushing). Using a weighted flank with deathrunners and stormvermin with Tretchs +Attack boost and the enemy lines collapsed almost as fast as you could move. Don't be fooled by their on-surface lackluster stats, because their speed, unit size and special abilities makes them really nasty. I usually used 4 of them, operating in pairs (one pair going after the main line, 2 units going after their archers&artillery).

Triads look like they have anti-cavalrycapabiltiy? So "Horde of fast moving Deathrunners&triads" seems like a viable tactic.

Warpgrinders is probably the unit that is least exciting to me, but feel like they have a role in the skaven siege army since their grinders will allow you to create as many gaps as you'd like in any wall lacking archers.

Fiendishrabbit on
    Turn times are already fast for me. It takes longer to get through all the diplomatic screen and sit through the lengthy animations than to does to actually process the AI turns.

edited November 2019
    You can always edit camera settings to Fastest or even None for faction types (Allied/Neutral/Enemy/Your Own/Specific) to speed that part up.

I regularly use:

None for neutral and allied heroes.
    Fast for my lords and heroes, and enemy heroes.
    Fastest for neutral and allied lords.
    Normal or fast for enemy lords.
    And then usually set all the roaming pirates up to explicitly None if they declare war or show up.

Bethryn on
    Bethryn wrote: »
    You can always edit camera settings to Fastest or even None for faction types (Allied/Neutral/Enemy/Your Own/Specific) to speed that part up.

I regularly use:

None for neutral and allied heroes.
    Fast for my lords and heroes, and enemy heroes.
    Fastest for neutral and allied lords.
    Normal or fast for enemy lords.
    And then usually set all the roaming pirates up to explicitly None if they declare war or show up.

I do that already, too. I also use a mod that makes the camera trucking to the next location a lot faster too.

edited November 2019
    https://youtu.be/UaV9m6y3v_g

First look at Malus campaign gameplay.

Edit: Oh, looks like Black Arks can attack coastal settlements now!

Iblis on
    edited November 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    They were more useful before Skyre came out when you can now just trolol with an almost full ranged army. I used them in my Mors and Pestilens runs paired with Plague Monk Censer Bearers as flanking units that crashed the edge and started chain routs when you only really had Plagueclaw Catapults and your line had to actually do a little bit of fighting.

Also this little sneak preview:
    https://youtu.be/niLGfwjvJRY

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    So it looks like for Malus on vortex your starts are Hag Graef (surprise!) and a southlands expeditionary force or going all in on Southlands.

The black ark changes should be really great for Lorkhir, too.

Really happy to see another DE start that isn’t Naggarond. With 3 new vortex starts in Southlands maybe it will be a bit more interesting than the Kroq gar vs Settra 800 lb gorilla faceoff it usually turns into.

Campaign Gameplay of Malus and Sniktch have shown neither take part in the Vortex.

I’m very happy about this.

Well I am officially pretty hype about this...

Not a huge skaven fan, but Malus and Repanse are both going to be worth a good run.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    So apparently Warp Grinders melee attack walls to destroy them.

Maybe, we can tick a box for other units (via mods) to allow other units to attack walls.

Giants, mammoths, large dinosaurs, dragon ogres, spooky bone monsters...

edited November 2019
    Dread Saurians should just climb over walls. They're big enough.

The Black Whirlwind stationary vortex spell looks incredible.

If anyone is interested in pre purchasing, Fanatical has the DLC for 18% off and Humble for 10% off (19% if you're a member). That's the cheapest it'll likely be for a while.

Fanatical also has the Total War Warhammer bundle (TWWH 1 with all paid DLC) for 65% off, so if you've only got TWWH2 and want Mortal Empires and all game 1 content, that's a pretty great deal.

-Loki- on
    I wish I understood what fucks up ranged weapon LOS through destroyed wall segments. So much squirrelly behavior trying to get my guys to shoot through the gaps sometimes.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I wish I understood what fucks up ranged weapon LOS through destroyed wall segments. So much squirrelly behavior trying to get my guys to shoot through the gaps sometimes.
    Centre of your unit to centre of their unit is the LOS needed for attacks (some caveats with arc of fire, since there is also rubble around destroyed walls).

This discussion has been closed.