As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Aw yeah potatoes peeled. It's satisfying, being an adult and peeling potatoes quickly when it seemed like such a chore as a kid. My grandma used to peel em with a pairing knife like she was cutting butter or something, that I can't do.

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    It's Thanksgiving again, and that means contributing dishes to the family table. This year I made a side of brussels sprouts gratin:

7HHib9f.jpg?1

and for dessert, a pumpkin cheesecake (with homemade caramel sauce):

5KxIiUj.jpg

Needless to say, it's been hours and I'm still unable to move

xet8c.gif

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    do y'all have favorite recipes for leftover turkey (besides sammies or whatever)

what are they

i'm thinking of trying a curry turkey pot pie but maybe someone has a better idea

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Those brussel sprouts look delicious

as does the cheesecake!

Xaquin on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yo @Sal hit me with that gratin recipe

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hey y'all if you cut your hand while you're peeling potatoes is it a... Palm d'error?

:3c

I didn't cut my hand I thought about that this morning drinking coffee.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    do y'all have favorite recipes for leftover turkey (besides sammies or whatever)

what are they

i'm thinking of trying a curry turkey pot pie but maybe someone has a better idea

Turkey mac and cheese. Add some mustard to the sauce.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2019
    always been tempted to make this, except I never have turkey or ham around

leftover_turkey_and_ham_95969_16x9.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/leftover_turkey_and_ham_95969

tynic on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Make stock from the turkey carcass, then make Turkey noodle soup.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Yo @Sal hit me with that gratin recipe

Click the photo!

xet8c.gif

My Christmas Sausage List is all done!

Spoilered because the forum spacing is borked
    Black Trumpet Sausage:

2.5 lbs Pork Butt
    20g Kosher Salt
    6g Roasted Garlic
    50g Black Trumpets (sauteed until soft)
    50g Cipollini Onions (sauteed until soft)
    2g black pepper
    1/4 Cup White Wine (that was used to reconstitute the Black Trumpets)

Leave Sausage loose and wrap in butcher paper

Boudin Blanc:

2.5 lbs Pork Butt
    20g Kosher Salt
    1 Large White Onion (sauteed until soft)
    1/2 Head Roasted Garlic
    2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
    2 tsp White Pepper

3 Cups Cooked White Rice (cook in Chicken Broth)

Taste for seasoning before stuffing links

Boerewors:

2 lbs Beef
    1/2 lb Pork Fat
    20g Kosher Salt
    10g Corriander
    5g Black Pepper
    5g Brown Sugar
    4g Allspice
    2.5g Cloves
    1g Nutmeg
    1/4 Cup Red Wine

Taste for seasoning before stuffing links and smoking with cherry wood

Linguica:

2.5 lbs Pork Butt
    20g Kosher Salt
    1/2 tsp Sugar
    5 Cloves Roasted Garlic
    1/2 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
    1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
    1/2 Tbsp Hot Paprika
    1/2 Tbsp Oregano
    1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
    1/4 Cup Red Wine

Taste for seasoning before stuffing links and smoking with cherry wood

Can't wait to start!

It's always a hectic couple of days, but it's a good time

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Turkey quiche can be pretty good

Edit: Turquiche

Atheraal on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have had four turkey sandwiches today using a one-day sandwich bread I made and I'm likely going to have another later.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i saw a facebook thing for mashed potatoes, turkey, and cranberry knishes and i've never wanted a knish more.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    today is sunday. the first day of summer. And our 6th wedding anniversary.

So we're having some people over for dinner.
    I've got chicken thighs marinating in some greek yogurt and garlic and pesto
    Going to make a pesto seashell pasta salad with sun dried tomatoes, green olives, and feta cheese.
    And i've bought a pavlova shell because I am a chicken about trying to make one myself, but we're topping with strawberries, blueberries, pomegranate, and cherries and fresh whipped cream.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I made pulled pork earlier this week and since it was an entire pork shoulder, I have way too goddamn much pulled pork

the second round of leftovers, tonight, will be pulled pork tacos with cumin crema and pico de gallo

tomorrow, pulled pork empanadas

not sure what's going inside those but probably barbecue sauce

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Here’s what ended up happening with that cider I was trying to make a few days ago.

1ofBLL2l.jpg
    Everything was fine at this point; the beginning. I had originally planned on taking this to our thanksgiving dinner, but I underestimated just how slow the slow cooker was, so I just let it cook all day instead and we actually got to drink some when we got home.

4cQnOLHl.jpg
    Mmm, cooked.

ZYpJwq9l.jpglXiEsTGl.jpg

Personally, I’d say that’s brown enough to be cider town. It tasted pretty good, though next time I think I’ll go lighter on either the cloves or the oranges (might skin them before putting them in).

Perrsun on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    @sarukun did you order your table from somewhere? I'm on the market for an expandable one since my circular glass table is no longer doing the job now that I've conned all my friends into coming over for dinner once a week.

I just finished my pumpkin chiffon pie so that's chilling until tomorrow, at which point I'll bring out some red-wine braised short ribs ($5 a lb! Sales!), rainbow chard with bacon, glazed carrots and some crispy polenta wedges to throw it all on top of.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    @sarukun did you order your table from somewhere? I'm on the market for an expandable one since my circular glass table is no longer doing the job now that I've conned all my friends into coming over for dinner once a week.

I just finished my pumpkin chiffon pie so that's chilling until tomorrow, at which point I'll bring out some red-wine braised short ribs ($5 a lb! Sales!), rainbow chard with bacon, glazed carrots and some crispy polenta wedges to throw it all on top of.

I grabbed it from a little independent furniture shop out here in Taiwan, who said it’s from a manufacturer in Malaysia. Not sure if they would ship as far as the US, I could probably find some time to go ask the guy we bought it from.

I have an expandable table from IKEA that we love. Little four seater square goes out to six comfortably, eight if you push it.

Can anyone educate me on shrimp paste?

I want to start making thai curries and most all of the curry paste recipes I find have shrimp paste as an ingredient. I would like to find a dry block that I can cut hunks off of and reconstitute as needed. Is that a thing? It seems like it is, but there are so many shrimp powders, pastes, etc. that I'm a bit lost. I just don't want to end up with a jar of wet paste that will spoil. I figure the dry stuff should last roughly forever?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I would imagine not. If it has organic compounds and isn't specifically packaged to be long term shelf stable, I wouldn't trust it to be so. I bought some lemongrass chili oil at the local Asian market that lasted for five days after I opened it. I couldn't read the label at all to tell me anything regarding shelf life, though.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I would imagine not. If it has organic compounds and isn't specifically packaged to be long term shelf stable, I wouldn't trust it to be so. I bought some lemongrass chili oil at the local Asian market that lasted for five days after I opened it. I couldn't read the label at all to tell me anything regarding shelf life, though.

That's the other problem I have. H-Mart has more shrimp products than bubba could list off and I can't understand 95% of it. Maybe I'll just look for the smallest portion of whatever looks right.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Google translate app?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Google translate app?

what a world we live in!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Google translate app?

ช่างเป็นโลกที่เราอาศัยอยู่!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Yeah I'd do that, but not for cheap

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

I want to start making thai curries and most all of the curry paste recipes I find have shrimp paste as an ingredient. I would like to find a dry block that I can cut hunks off of and reconstitute as needed. Is that a thing? It seems like it is, but there are so many shrimp powders, pastes, etc. that I'm a bit lost. I just don't want to end up with a jar of wet paste that will spoil. I figure the dry stuff should last roughly forever?

I use XO sauce, which isn't exactly shrimp paste but is made of (predried) scallops and shrimp. It lasts foreeeeeeeeeeeeever in the fridge, as it's salted as heck--I suspect shrimp paste is the same.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    edited December 2019

Finally, my expertise
    Yes, it is a thing. You want to look for dried belacan - you can just scoop a bit out as needed, it won't go off. Recommend this brand:
    Products_0008339_LRG.jpg

TBH I don't think the wetter pastes will go off either, not in the fridge - you make shrimp paste by leaving out raw shrimp in the sun for days and days, they're basically already as 'off' as things are gonna go. But if you want something that will last you through the apocalypse, one of those jars will probably still be good in 800 years.

(XO sauce is great but has a very different flavour imo)

tynic on
    Eeeeeeeexcellent!

Thank you!

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ah yeah, I should clarify, I use XO sauce largely as a dip for hot pot. Mmmmmm hot pot. <3

Aaanyway, I made my annual chocolate dream/cream pie for Wyborn's birthday. It's this recipe, so the cream is actually swiss meringue and the pudding is 70% dark chocolate https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/chocolate-cream-pie-meringue-recipe.html
    NC4h6iq.png

Do... do not try to calculate the calories on that one. It's, uh... terrifying. But it's really really good. I browned the top a bit further with a torch, though I'll have to be a bit more careful next year as there were a couple cracks (note to self: let it cool down in an opened oven first)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I need that pie

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Just ordered duck legs and garlic sausage at a butchers; I'll have all my cassoulet ingredients by Saturday! I'm terrified by how expensive this is going to be!

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Seconding Tynic’s recommendation for belacan - a little goes a long way, and it lasts basically for ever.
    I would recommend keeping it tightly wrapped in a plastic bag or some sort of seal though, it is pungent and you don’t want your whole fridge smelling of it.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Australian cooks, I would advise against buying Ardmona tinned tomatoes in future. They have started filling their tins with 1/3 tomato juice and concentrate.

I found this out the hard way on the weekend and I was livid, it nearly ruined my pasta sauce. I guess I can buy the cheaper Italian tinned tomatoes with a clear conscience now.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Just ordered duck legs and garlic sausage at a butchers; I'll have all my cassoulet ingredients by Saturday! I'm terrified by how expensive this is going to be!

Which is odd when you consider that it's very much a poor people looking for ways to make a dish of beans taste good recipe.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have here my simple garden, where I grow my single bean, my annual bean. J’suis le legume-homme, vraitment. But yes! A single bean is all now that I need to please my heart. Every year, I take my bean and I grow him, and when he is ready with a fatness, I harvest him, and I cook him up on a big plate for my dinner. Here, in this part of France, we have need of only one dinner. We make an annual dinner and for us, tout à fait, it is enough. For last year I had myself a leek, and a magpie wearing a hat – un chapeau du bird - watched me eat my leek, and I think of my leek every night.

If ya'll aren't subscribed to The Shatner Chatner, you're really missing out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    @tynic

Do you have to fry the shrimp block paste or anything before mashing it into the curry paste?

Or just add a bit of water and mush it up with a mortar and pestle?

edited December 2019
    @tynic

Do you have to fry the shrimp block paste or anything before mashing it into the curry paste?

Or just add a bit of water and mush it up with a mortar and pestle?

The latter is fine. Usually when making a curry paste I'll blitz or mash all the fresh ingredients (garlic/chilis/galangal/herbs/etc) up together, then just add the shrimp paste and any other dry powders or pastes I'm using as I go, because there's enough liquid in the other ingredients to dissolve it.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.