As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    This patch is wackadoodledoo

I ate an engineer
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I love everything about it. Dota was getting so stale with this last meta.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I played my first game in aaaaaages a few weeks ago with a friend, might have to do that more often. Even through all the nutty stuff I'm stuck on my boi Lich getting an AoE stun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Entangle at level 1 and the bear scales off levels now? Those are 100% worth trading insta recall for.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    You get a courier! And you get a courier! You all get couriers!

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Have not played in ages but this seems bananas.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    You get a courier! And you get a courier! You all get couriers!

On one hand, the quality of life improvement for not having to fight for it is amazing.

On the other hand, the bitching about people who got their courier killed and thus lost gold advantage and whatnot in pubs will probably be about as incessant.

Not that the DotA2 community needs help with that, it's mostly the default state, but still, I'm just expecting to trade one source of ire and consternation for another.

Being able to place wards and use items though? Huge! If nothing else, making it so that EVERY player is effectively controlling multiple units on some level might make it a bit more common/intuitive for newer players to branch out to those characters who require that playstyle.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    My shitty micro skill will be even worse now

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    6 dagon courier strike is a go

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    There is a new ultra-griefing strategy now; sneak a witless shako unto your OD's inventory just before a teamfight

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Isn't the ultra-griefing strategy picking OD after he got reworked to be really bad

I ate an engineer
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I miss the side shop, but I love my personal courier. I only ever play ability draft these days and this patch had made it the wild wild west as insane builds get insane jungle items.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    When you consider how jaw-droppingly complex this game is it's frankly amazing that it's ever even close to balanced, which really leaves me spellbound in terms of how much they've changed it up over the years. Icefrog is probably one of the best game designers of all time. Like, imagine if basketball changed the number of hoops every once in a while. Shit's nuts!

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    There are some phenomenally broken things that will be patched out.

Like Tinker rearming the budget Refresher Orb: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/e23yss/new_patch_seems_pretty_balanced/
    Or Arc Warden with the budget Manta and his cdr talent, or literally any tempo mid with the budget Aghs buff.

I'd just play like you're in a turbo mode custom game for a few days/weeks until they tone some of the more egregious stuff.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I can confirm that Snapfire is ridiculous with a hero that has a strong teamfight disable.

Played some Faceless Void with my friend on Snapfire support last night and it wasn't even close. Every teamfight where void ult was up, Void initiate + Snapfire ult just ended the fight.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    WHY DO THEY KEEP NERFING CHEN??????

because chen is apparently the most toxic hero short of techies, if you listen to the streamers I watch

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    because chen is apparently the most toxic hero short of techies, if you listen to the streamers I watch

They buffed Techies!

• JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    7.23a is already here. Big buffs for grandma.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Chen is a hard hero to balance without completely changing what the hero is. So they keep nerfing it, finding out that doesn't change the core issue which is that it's a broken character, and then nerfing some more. See also, five million changes to Io, until we're now at the point where they seem to have thrown up their hands, put the hero slow back on Tether and resigned to it being first-banned every game.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Void Spirit seems kind of cool. Kind of an int based Ember Spirit. I'm excited to see him in the hands of a pro, I bet he's going to be flashy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I'm really not liking the new neutral item system. It's having to memorize 50+ new items at a glance.

But most of all it seems to introduce a ridiculous RNG element into the game. Some of the items are a lot better than others, and too much swing can hang on the right item dropping that greatly synergizes with a present hero. Lucking out with that gives too much of an advantage out of a coin flip.

MrBody wrote: »
    I'm really not liking the new neutral item system. It's having to memorize 50+ new items at a glance.

But most of all it seems to introduce a ridiculous RNG element into the game. Some of the items are a lot better than others, and too much swing can hang on the right item dropping that greatly synergizes with a present hero. Lucking out with that gives too much of an advantage out of a coin flip.

A lot of people are complaining about it on streams too -a lot of comments on how no one knows what's going on anymore, or how to play dota anymore. It's also added a lot of clutter to the game. I still think it's super rad, but yeah, I think they're going to significantly weed out items.

edited November 2019
    The worst instances I've seen is there are a couple items that give a HUGE mid game boost to hard carries like Anti-Mage or Phantom Lancer, and snowballs them into murder machines 20+ minutes sooner than usual. One team scoring one of those is practically a gg.

MrBody on
    I don't get why people keep getting Hand of Midas. I've never seen it work out. Only when their team is already dominating but then it doesn't matter.

It just takes so long to start paying off, which is even a worse deal now that Outlanders made game shorter. You're better off just buying an item where all the gold goes to stats that will help you farm or get kills that provide more gold and XP than Midas would.

Maybe it works at high level? I've never seen it work at my level though, but people at my level keep buying it.

(also the Dooms that keep prioritizing his Q and ignore his E. His Q just kind of stinks now that it has the level max on it. In my experience you're much better off leveling his E as a priority. More damage + lower cooldown makes it a crazy harassing tool in early lane. Like Midas, the bonus gold you get for leveling Q never works out to how much more you can get leveling his other abilities)

• JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    On the Grand Finals:
    WW was the MvP, it kills the Phys. dmg. cores. game 5 sucked.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
    MrBody wrote: »
    I don't get why people keep getting Hand of Midas. I've never seen it work out. Only when their team is already dominating but then it doesn't matter.

It just takes so long to start paying off, which is even a worse deal now that Outlanders made game shorter. You're better off just buying an item where all the gold goes to stats that will help you farm or get kills that provide more gold and XP than Midas would.

Maybe it works at high level? I've never seen it work at my level though, but people at my level keep buying it.

I suspect it's a "the pros do it, so I should too" kind of thing. Probably recommended in some guide they're using for their hero, or something they saw work crazy well in a tournament (ignoring that they aren't, in fact, one of the best players in the world).

Unrelated; based on the release dates of the last two Compendiums, Tuesday May 7th, and Tuesday May 8th, I'm guessing this one is going to aim for Tuesday May 5th, so we're potentially about 99 days away from the next round of shenanigans!

Also, my Aegis came in!
    57fb3lno7cac.jpg
    2nm9bw0j2bpx.jpg

On the Grand Finals:
    WW was the MvP, it kills the Phys. dmg. cores. game 5 sucked.

You're talking the recent Dreamhack finals right? That was one of the worst Dota tournaments I've ever tried to watch. They jammed in so much dead air time for commercials and bad music (It seemed like they were even taking extended breaks between drafts and starting the games) that it totally killed the vibe. They also had some not very good talent calling the games this time.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQ2XFS1tUo

The in game animations for epic moments really adds to it, this is directed really well.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited January 2020
    Player Reactions minus ana from OG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NvGiWtb2d0

I feel for MC and W33. They hate watching themselves make mistakes.

KoopahTroopah on
    Am I in the minority that I'd rather watch the actual game instead of it being 70% the player faces and auditorium?

Is there any way to download the replay files?

edited January 2020
    @MrBody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJp_P_Olc7A

Or you could look up the replays from the 'Watch/Learn' tabs inside Dota 2.

KoopahTroopah on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Also, generally, for replays outside of the client the best resource is Eventvods.com

edited May 2020
    It is almost upon us!!

Edit; To be clear, the Battle Pass is releasing. The International itself has been postponed to 2021, and the BP apparently will run for the standard period of time. How that will work out I have no idea. Maybe they'll open it back up for a couple of weeks again so we can throw more piles of money at them/round out our levels? Regardless, time for some Herald tier shenanigans!

Forar on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Double sized prize pool in 2021? Or maybe proceeds go towards boosting tourney prize pools until 2021.

It's out. Pretty crazy stuff, lots of new things and a ton of arcanas planned.

https://www.dota2.com/international/battlepass/

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I wasn't planning on buying the battlepass this year because I never get far enough in it seem and it doesn't work well with AD which is the mode I play the most, but damn, I really like the terrain and the lady antimage

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I haven't played Dota in years, but Skeleton King returning is cool. Too bad it takes hundreds of battle pass levels.