As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder how their algorithms account for a small, but rabidly loyal, fanbase. There are for sure some number of people who have Netflix just for MST3K.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wish I was rich so I could just independently fund MST3K forever.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Maybe we could all just start putting our retirement funds towards more episodes. An MST401K, as it were.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I kind of wonder how their algorithms account for a small, but rabidly loyal, fanbase. There are for sure some number of people who have Netflix just for MST3K.
    I

Imagine that is a very small number, honestly

MST3K is an incredibly, incredibly niche thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Maybe we could all just start putting our retirement funds towards more episodes. An MST401K, as it were.

This joke is worthy of MST3K

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I

Imagine that is a very small number, honestly

MST3K is an incredibly, incredibly niche thing

I mean, I only have it because my family does and out of their current lineup, I only care about maybe 2 other shows, one of which is ending with another 1/2 season.

Their movie selection is anemic.

They have gone from my only streaming service to choice five in about a year and a half.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Once Bojack and GLOW are over I’ll really have to think about if I still care about Netflix

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I still enjoy Stranger Things and The Witcher looks good and Castlevania rules and I'm excited for Locke and Key and Pacific Rim and Bone and Sandman and Cowboy Bebop and whatever the hell the MTG animated show and Alex Hirsch's next project end up being

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

This joke is worthy of MST3K

Very specifically, a Frank Conniff joke.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm 4 episodes into season 3 of Stranger Things.

This season is pretty damn good so far

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I honestly think it’s their best season, though I’ve enjoyed them all so far

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm like, four and a half episodes into Succession. I like it? But it's weird because every character is unlikable (like It's Always Sunny), but (unlike Sunny) they seem to want you to sympathize with them sometimes? And like, it's 2019, I'm never gonna sympathize with rich assholes.

I'm still intrigued though and will keep watching it

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm bound to Netflix until SheRa is done, unfortunately

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I’m amazed we got the amount of new MST3K that we did, honestly

But they’ve been way into doing live tours for a while now so I figured the writing was on the wall re: another proper season

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The live MST3K show did kind of have a strange air of ignoring the new seasons

spoilers for the live show
    There is a side character named Crenshaw who is another Gizmonic employee. And the show ends with Joel running away again and leaving her with the reins of being the new host. Which I figured was honestly more for the sake of having a continuing host with the live shows, since this was apparently a farewell tour for Joel.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Melissa Benoist (star of Supergirl) posted a 14 minute long Insta video sharing her story about surviving domestic violence. Never named the abuser beyond saying he was younger than her, an unsubtle way of saying it was Glee co-star Blake Jenner

I want those statistics to change, and I hope that telling my story will prevent more stories like this from happening. If you are enduring what I went through and you see this, you might be able to find the tiny straw that will break the camel's back.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I watched her video earlier, and man, yeah, that's brutal and awful.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Yessss. This week’s Arrow is a Groundhog Day episode! I love those!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

This season is so good. I'm gonna miss this show

• Options

Quentin Lance on second loop
    Oliver tells Lance about the loop.
    Lance: Okay I believe you.
    Oliver: You do?!?
    Lance: I’ve seen my daughter die and come back to life twice, another come from a different Earth, and a man who could run so fast he could travel back in time. This isn’t the craziest thing to happen.

God I missed Lance.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm like, four and a half episodes into Succession. I like it? But it's weird because every character is unlikable (like It's Always Sunny), but (unlike Sunny) they seem to want you to sympathize with them sometimes? And like, it's 2019, I'm never gonna sympathize with rich assholes.

I'm still intrigued though and will keep watching it

Having watched both seasons and I'm still not 100% but I don't THINK they want you to sympathize with them, I think what they want you to do is remember that they are still human. They're irredeemable shitheads but they're (mostly) not cartoons, like Sunny or Arrested Development. And even irredeemable shitheads can have a bad day or still have MASSIVE psychological issues stemming from an abusive father and you feel bad because empathy even while realizing the world would be bare minimum 45% better if all of them ceased to be immediately.

But I could be wrong, I have no idea. Just my feelings and I do think that it's a hard fucking tightrope and they don't always walk it perfect. And season 2 is much better than season 1.

• Options

This season has been a remarkable upturn in quality. It's pretty clear they're going all out for the final season. I'll definitely miss it, but going out with Crisis on Infinite Earths is such a big, dumb, incredibly high-concept idea that I can't be too mad.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I still enjoy Stranger Things and The Witcher looks good and Castlevania rules and I'm excited for Locke and Key and Pacific Rim and Bone and Sandman and Cowboy Bebop and whatever the hell the MTG animated show and Alex Hirsch's next project end up being

Oh shit, there’s gonna be a Pacific Rim show??

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man I must say EXCELLENT Satanists in this new season of Castle Rock very subdued and respectful depiction of Our Dark Lord

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Rewatching some tiny toons those notes prove to be very accurate

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    jenny slate has a comedy special on Netflix that's really good, y'all should watch it

oh uh it's called Stage Fright, I guess that information is helpful

Shorty on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I have been slowly watching Deadwood for the first time since this summer. Like one or two episode a week whenever I am jogging on the treadmill. It is amazing for keeping my focus and distracting me from my crap body. I am nearing the end of the series and am sad. I need to find another show like it that I haven't seen before.

Just jump into Justified afterwards if you need more angry Timothy Olyphant!

I've already watched Justified.

You ever watch Rome?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A hell of a thread about the Gabrielle Union firing at America's Got Talent:

minor incident on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Man I must say EXCELLENT Satanists in this new season of Castle Rock very subdued and respectful depiction of Our Dark Lord

The last couple of episodes have certainly gone places.

I can only assume that we're moving towards
    Lizzy Caplan fighting the devil with a hammer

(Not really, but I do still feel like that needs to be marked as a spoiler. On account of it going places.)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    A hell of a thread about the Gabrielle Union firing at America's Got Talent:

I am absolutely shocked to discover the man who built his reputation on being a controlling petty shithead is actually a controlling petty shithead. I hope she got paid and then some.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Is it weird to watch succession simply to work on a hutt campaign for star wars rpg

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I dunno maybe it’s just me. But I’m totally fine with punting all of the tv yelly men whose identity is being a yelly asshole into the sun.

In other news apparently Gordon Ramsey turned the only bar in my old college town into an expensive fancy place and I want to punt him into the sun

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I mean can we at least make an exception for Billy Eichner

We can lose the straight yelly guys though, yeah

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Master Chef Junior!Gordon Ramsey can stay, though

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Gustav wrote: »
    I dunno maybe it’s just me. But I’m totally fine with punting all of the tv yelly men whose identity is being a yelly asshole into the sun.

In other news apparently Gordon Ramsey turned the only bar in my old college town into an expensive fancy place and I want to punt him into the sun

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy getting rid of that dude from all entertainment mediums

We've got plenty of highly skilled chefs in the world who don't think it's good, actually, to verbally abuse people

We really don't need him

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    He doesnt actually do that. They play it up on hells kitchen but hes no more belligerent than the average chef.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    He doesnt actually do that. They play it up on hells kitchen but hes no more belligerent than the average chef.

It does set an expectation of "this is how good chefs treat people and that's okay", which is fucked. And I have 100% known chefs in my career who take clear, slavish inspiration from Gordon Ramsey's public persona.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maybe Gordon Ramsay is a super nice guy in private, but every interview, public appearance (even unplanned moments), everything I've ever seen of him just shows him as a mean-spirited shithead who sniffs his own farts and takes himself extremely seriously.

At a certain point, the persona just becomes the person and it doesn't matter how he is behind closed doors.

This discussion has been closed.