As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Putrid Blightkings in AoS are my favorite models, but waaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive to dive into.

edit: Thanks for the tips on contrast everyone! I assumed the primer/base were specially formulated to work with the contrast paint you put over it? I wasn't worried about the undercoat's color.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've finished the base for my brother's drone. Took 3 applications of the realistic water material to get it looking good but I feel like it could still be better.

All I did was the base. The drone was painted by my brother. I just wanted to test the realistic water stuff and he didn't mind me using his model.
    N0w8Om0.jpg
    Oj8jLpA.jpg
    Tdcj6ij.jpg
    K2QqDRH.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Viking wrote: »
    ChQBAo0.jpg
    Blackstone Fortress has been a blast to paint

Oh man, I just recently got a Blackstone Fortress box with everything but the miniatures for $20...

(I'm going to DIY some alternate minis)

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    still going on my Primaris Space Wolves. to compliment my reivers and my fearsome skull guy from early, i wolfed up some infiltrators and a phobos rune priest.

IWqbFrX.jpgWUAgS19.jpg
    oqUjp9A.jpg1LQ8lZj.jpg

also been trying to do more sculpting, mostly with fur.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Unrelated - I don't think I'd posted this yet:
    oq5ptbg7jrow.jpg
    Tried some tiny greenstuff sculpting with the Ultramarines symbol, maybe didn't go tiny enough.

0ijlzpptari2.png
    Are there different nozzles and such for airbrushes that change how small or large the spray is? I've seen some videos now that do really tight lines with an airbrush but I don't think I'd be able to get a line that tight with mine.
    Jandaru wrote: »
    Unrelated - I don't think I'd posted this yet:
    oq5ptbg7jrow.jpg
    Tried some tiny greenstuff sculpting with the Ultramarines symbol, maybe didn't go tiny enough.

If you mean the gold Ultramarines symbol on the right shoulder then it looks fine. Don't think it is too big at all.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    still going on my Primaris Space Wolves. to compliment my reivers and my fearsome skull guy from early, i wolfed up some infiltrators and a phobos rune priest.

IWqbFrX.jpgWUAgS19.jpg
    oqUjp9A.jpg1LQ8lZj.jpg

also been trying to do more sculpting, mostly with fur.

I used to think your Wolves were good, but you have been taking it to another level since you started painting again.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My new project. The Golden retriever wizard from Dungeons and Doggies. Going to be my character when we start playing Descent into Avernus next year.

m9rwk8q1ck39.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I'm going to be painting some white vehicles, but I'm unsure how I want do the wash

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I'm going to be painting some white vehicles, but I'm unsure how I want do the wash

A watered down brown ink or wash in the lines and plates

Brainleech wrote: »

A watered down brown ink or wash in the lines and plates

I'd recommend potentially doing a pin wash depending on what you're looking for.

https://youtu.be/qrsHo9UU_EM

Good video for how to do it. I use tamiya panel line accent for pin washing.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are there different nozzles and such for airbrushes that change how small or large the spray is? I've seen some videos now that do really tight lines with an airbrush but I don't think I'd be able to get a line that tight with mine.

There are, but it's usually more about the airbrush itself than accessories you can buy for it. In my experience, most airbrushes that do exceptionally fine detail are purpose-built for it (like the Sotar 20/20), while ones that have conversion kits typically started as very general-purpose and can be made more miniature-friendly (the Patriot 105 does have conversion kits, but if you've got one in the last ... I dunno, 10 years probably? it already comes with the fine-detail needle and tip, so you can only make the spray bigger than what you've got). Air pressure is also something of a factor, but a much more minor one, and it only has a reasonably degree of application (higher pressure == less dispersion and slightly tighter spray pattern).

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Finished another dude for my Blessed warband, and tried a glowy evil base on this one.

s2kqfe4bujln.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    That base is really cool! Maybe a silly question, but, will the sides of the base be the green, or the black? In my head, they both look good, but, I don't know.

edited December 2019
    Watcher wrote: »
    That base is really cool! Maybe a silly question, but, will the sides of the base be the green, or the black? In my head, they both look good, but, I don't know.

Probably black because it's easier and I'm lazy :lol:

And GW mordant earth is fantastic basing material.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The blue wasn’t working, switched to grey. All-contrast test piece:
    996dmwqx5dm5.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Well after moving a couple of years back I've finally figured out the best time and place to take pics of minis! So expect a bunch of image spam soon. I'm going to start off with a couple of my absolute favourite models that I've painted recently. 3 Different sculpts of Ser Gregor Clegane, the Mountain that Rides (or walks) for the Song of Ice and Fire minis game.
    aSYftd6.jpg
    OVTUxnI.jpg
    D3pCbLH.jpg
    AbVGh5S.jpg
    RT0gUTV.jpg
    KCDxvEs.jpg
    NGCUIU6.jpg
    edHGG4T.jpg

Loved painting all three of these. Cracking Sculpts, the Helmetless one was my least favourite but was still fun to paint.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Consider not using white, but very very light gray, as the base coat. Then you can highlight in white and wash in dark gray. Disclaimer: I've only used this technique on smaller white things, like Ultramarines symbols on my dudes shoulders, never full vehicles.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Does anyone have doing the super contrast style OSL with brushes and no airbrush? If so, how did you go about doing it?

I mean things like this:

a94c782d0a61a6f0c72650e64eb48578.jpg

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Does anyone have doing the super contrast style OSL with brushes and no airbrush? If so, how did you go about doing it?

I mean things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnlr_zF7rU

Might be helpful, depending on what sort of thing you're painting.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »

I mean things like this:

It's probably easier to handle on smaller models. I did it for the cockpit of my Valkyrie with glazes for the light effect and washeson the opposing side of the model for the shadows.

Tried to airbrush a bit. Airbrush got clogged after a minute. Took of the tip before removing the needle and was promptly punished by dropping the brush needle first on the ground. Fuck.

There are some solid videos on how to straighten airbrush needle tips. Its not too hard.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    honovere wrote: »
    Tried to airbrush a bit. Airbrush got clogged after a minute. Took of the tip before removing the needle and was promptly punished by dropping the brush needle first on the ground. Fuck.

I've dropped mine on the back of the needle, I take the back casing off so I can mess with the needle when I need to. The needle was fine but it decimated the little brass tip.

Luckily I had another needle from the cheepo airbrush that came with the compressor, but I don't think I can save the bend one. Most of it can be bend back but the front millimetre is bent into 170° hook.

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    This has been my most productive hobby year and I really need to take better pictures as I do it. I finally finished up about 2000 pts of Custodes, and painted up a Titanicus maniple.

Then in October I fought a beautifully painted Ultramarines Calgar army at a tournament and decided I wanted one for myself. My goal was to make something out of stuff I already have from the starter box, add in Calgar, and mix in some Horus Heresy era plans that never got off the ground. Only about half way there but it's become a joint 30k/40k project so...slow going.

Q2FND4C.jpg
    rQyaG1I.jpg

When I grabbed the Calth box however many years ago the hope was to do Alpha Legion but I never loved the metallic scheme, and my 'alternate' attempts just sort of looked like off brand Ultramarines. So now all the unpainted stuff is becoming actual Ultras.

rYqU5Wv.jpg
    bQ3ShmZ.jpg

Next up is a Laser Vindicator and Sergeant Chronus to pilot it.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Asher, those are genuinely phenomenal. I'm speechless.

Thanks mate! I've actually been in a bit of a funk with my painting for quite a while, so it's really nice to get such positive feedback. That goes out to everyone <3.

I'm feeling so bouyed I'll share a lil' sneaky somethin' with ya.
    AkJZMJc.jpg
    pI6QPsc.jpg
    Pt1d5VR.jpg
    Bp12XOI.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    @DocSamson

Jesus hell, that blue is delectable. Good work! I particularly love your Big Boy with the quad guns.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    What is the difference between neon and fluorescent acrylic paints? I have the scale 75 neon but I was also looking at the fluorescent on green stuff world as well

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    if the names are in any way accurate, Neon should just be bright colour.... Flourescent should glow in the dark (or under UV light?)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Fluorescent is UV light (or very intense, very blue light depending on the colour) being converted to another colour glow - spontaneously glowing in the dark is phosphorescence and I don’t know of any readily available acrylics that do that.

So neon won't glow under a black light?

I want to paint my Skaven a very vibrant orange color for armor and robes and I wasn't sure if I should use green stuff world's fluorescent acrylic paint or scale 75's neon acrylic paint.

I kind of like the idea of Skaven that glow under black light.

Neon in paint typically* means “offensively bright” and sometimes that means they put UV reactive dyes in there to make stuff look even brighter under daylight but don’t expect it or plan around it without testing first.

* unless they actually literally contain neon somehow.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I want to paint my Skaven a very vibrant orange color for armor and robes and I wasn't sure if I should use green stuff world's fluorescent acrylic paint or scale 75's neon acrylic paint.

Problem is "neon" and "fluorescent" are both colloquially used to mean "bright". So while I would expect something called "fluorescent" to be UV reactive, "neon" may or may not be, though it's more likely not. GSW's fluorescent paint specifically says it glows under UV light. And while I would expect Scale 75's "fx fluor" colors to do the same, I can't find a product description specifically saying so.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Problem is "neon" and "fluorescent" are both colloquially used to mean "bright". So while I would expect something called "fluorescent" to be UV reactive, "neon" may or may not be, though it's more likely not. GSW's fluorescent paint specifically says it glows under UV light. And while I would expect Scale 75's "fx fluor" colors to do the same, I can't find a product description specifically saying so.

I could definitely test it since the leaves of this tree are primarily painted with the scaled 75 neon paints, I just don't have a UV light at all.

5U97SmW.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

I could definitely test it since the leaves of this tree are primarily painted with the scaled 75 neon paints, I just don't have a UV light at all.

5U97SmW.jpg

Oh hey. The last time I saw a pic of those, you'd painted the leaves but not all those details with the vines, fungi, and thorns. They look great.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Fluorescent is UV light (or very intense, very blue light depending on the colour) being converted to another colour glow - spontaneously glowing in the dark is phosphorescence and I don’t know of any readily available acrylics that do that.

UV resin used in a diorama
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_VWpySb6Y

Started expanding my orc team. Turns out painting trolls is a lot of fun! All that skin and scales is really nice to play around with washes and glazes.

edited December 2019
    Found these sick ass dice creatures from reaper minis. Got d4 through d12 and out a special order for the d20. I am very excited to paint them.

Gonna post some pics when I get home.

Stragint on