As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread is only for perverts now, apparently

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Nintendo thread I've been made aware of a very good twitter acount

is this a pokemans? because it is beautiful.

"Falinks: The Formation Pokemon. The six of them work together as one Pokémon. Teamwork is also their battle strategy, and they constantly change their formation as they fight."

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They have a unique move that boosts every stat, but also makes it impossible to switch them out.
    It’s called No Retreat, and is one of my favorite things about them.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey... Hey! I wanna make Mario levels! Someone buy me Mario Maker 2 and you'll have a best friend for life*

*Please allow 6-8 weeks for best friend delivery.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought Star Wars Pinball on sale. Now I'm trying to choose to buy two of the Williams packs for regular Pinball versus the other good stuff on sale like Prison Architect, Axiom Verge and a few others. Too many options!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    They have a unique move that boosts every stat, but also makes it impossible to switch them out.
    It’s called No Retreat, and is one of my favorite things about them.

Huh. Well, mono-fighting isn't the worst typing... how are their coverage moves?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    terrible!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Through TM/TRs they have access to an okay amount of Rock/Dark/Steel moves.

But they're slow enough with weak enough special defence that Psychic/Fairy will just tear through them.

(They're still awesome, and my Falinks has never left my team.)

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Some stuff I bought on sale:

Heave Ho - hilarious. great game for groups. I don't really know how to describe it well; you navigate levels via slightly dubious controls. A quick Youtube will make it clear what it is. ostensibly co-op but can at a moment's notice turn into "I threw you off the level because it was funny"
    Far: Lone Sails. - Neat little game where you have to keep a vehicle running; there are multiple stations you have to operate within the machine and occasional puzzles to solve to open the way forward. Very atmospheric and quiet. A bit short but appropriate, does not 'overstay its' welcome'
    Miniature - Concept is neat, you are presented with dioramas in 5 stages and you have to arrange them in chronological order. However, it's SUPER short, we finished it entirely in about 20 minutes. Less than $2 though so it's a bit hard to complain.
    Puzzle Quest - Still great and unmatched (hah) match-3 RPG.
    Ori and the Blind Forest - stunningly beautiful and the novelty of a Microsoft game on the Switch is a nice bonus.
    When Ski Lifts Go Wrong - physics puzzler where you build, as you might guess, ski lifts. There's also skiing and snowmobiling. Pretty good and often very funny, particularly when what you've built goes spectacularly bad.
    Little Dragons Cafe - Takes some inspiration from Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon, and adds some rhythm game elements. You run a cafe where you collect ingredients, cook dishes, and manage the growth of your pet dragon, and that's so far, it adds more game elements as you progress the plot. Very neat visual style, everything looks like a painting. Seems to have some trouble running on the Switch, it's a bit janky especially when rotating the camera, but that hasnt spoiled my enjoyment of it.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I’m decently invested in this mystery in AI: The Somnium Files

The game captures the dream world and its logic well

Listening to Greg Chun is always soothing (the rest of the voice acting is decent, too)

There’s a lot of boob talk but I’ve grown used to it now

Janson on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

I’d hope so, you live with me

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Listening to Greg Chun is always soothing (the rest of the voice acting is decent, too)

Yeah, I have to jump back into it myself. The only real issue I have with the gameplay is that it’s pretty straightforward. Maybe it gets more difficult or challenging later, but there’s very little challenge to the game. It’s still interesting as an unfolding mystery story, though.

The only other issue I have is what you said about boobs. The sexualized dialogue is rather overdone and offputting. Very puerile.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

You can see my boobs anytime

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Heh. Boobs.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Yeah, I have to jump back into it myself. The only real issue I have with the gameplay is that it’s pretty straightforward. Maybe it gets more difficult or challenging later, but there’s very little challenge to the game. It’s still interesting as an unfolding mystery story, though.

The only other issue I have is what you said about boobs. The sexualized dialogue is rather overdone and offputting. Very puerile.

I don’t know how far you got, but I found Iris’s Somnium to be a bit of a challenge and I from what I was reading some of the later Somniums require very strategic uses of timelies, but yeah, the rest of the game is little more than a visual novel! Although I’m actually enjoying it more than I expected to - I’m also very interested in the branching storylines, I saw a bit of one of the alternate paths and it was very different.

Puerile is the right word; it’s not so much the sexualization so much as the dialogue sounds better suited to 15 year olds, not characters in their 30s. Still, I’ve just accepted that’s how the game is, and I’m having fun.

After this I ought to play the Zero Escape games!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

You can see my boobs anytime

This isn't the hairy thread

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I don’t know how far you got, but I found Iris’s Somnium to be a bit of a challenge and I from what I was reading some of the later Somniums require very strategic uses of timelies, but yeah, the rest of the game is little more than a visual novel! Although I’m actually enjoying it more than I expected to - I’m also very interested in the branching storylines, I saw a bit of one of the alternate paths and it was very different.

Puerile is the right word; it’s not so much the sexualization so much as the dialogue sounds better suited to 15 year olds, not characters in their 30s. Still, I’ve just accepted that’s how the game is, and I’m having fun.

After this I ought to play the Zero Escape games!

Yea. That dialogue hurts the game a lot.

It's just a visual novel with some weird dream sequences. I finished it the other day, and thought the 20ish hours I spent with it was worth my time.

The final credits though.

You...You'll need to let me know when you've seen them. They're special and unskippable. @Janson

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    this is pretty nuts
    https://youtu.be/fxQmJWP4IxY

august on
  • Options
    Re: Falinks’s viability.

It’s probably bad, but one thing I like is that No Retreat doesn’t say anything about not being able to use it more than once. Moves that boost two stats are generally pretty great, so if I’m not wrong, being able to use an all-stats move repeatedly could turn Falinks into a proper deadly threat if allowed to set up for more than a turn.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

It’s probably bad, but one thing I like is that No Retreat doesn’t say anything about not being able to use it more than once. Moves that boost two stats are generally pretty great, so if I’m not wrong, being able to use an all-stats move repeatedly could turn Falinks into a proper deadly threat if allowed to set up for more than a turn.

It doesn't say that, but I'm pretty sure it does have that clause? The wild one I fought got one off and then the rest failed.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    look i only choose pokemon teams based on how cool they are not how good they are.

unless it's a nuzlocke in which case I don't choose at all

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

At the very least it could be a baton passer

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Links Crossbow ttaining was my best OP.

It probabaly hasnt aged well. Therr were some tingl
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah it's definitely weird to try and explain the justification of Nintendo and Game Freak working tirelessly to make collecting the more desirable part of the Pokemon games, and yet split the roster into 2 games, but still end the statement with 'you should totally do it, though'

Well now they've decided tonmake gym leaders exclusive and the bear one ia sheild only

At the very least it could be a baton passer

Except for that No Retreat prevents switching out, sadly.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hey... Hey! I wanna make Mario levels! Someone buy me Mario Maker 2 and you'll have a best friend for life*

I won’t buy it for you, but I will PayPal you ten of America’s dollars if you can get the world record on my “E.T. for Atari” level

(the time to beat is just over 32 minutes)

Butler on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any good deals for a Switch for Cyber Monday? I can't go shopping on Friday even if I wanted to.

@facetious While Black Friday’s offering most places was “free Mario Kart with purchase of the old worse-battery model” looks like BB has “free Mario&Rabbids and Starlink with the new better battery model”... starting today.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Also I did my first day with Ring Fit Adventure last night. As established by others, that’s a pretty good workout.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Gotta say: this is probably better than a Zelda Maker would be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the Link thing feels like a reference to link's awakening and its side-scrolling areas

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Gotta say: this is probably better than a Zelda Maker would be

This seems like it could have come out sooner but I'll gladly take it

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mario Maker is great, but one of the underappreciated aspects of it is that it proves beyond the shadow of a doubt how bad a Zelda maker would be. The variable and sometimes arbitrary conditions for completing a level in Mario Maker 2 can be anywhere between a hoot and a frustrating, impenetrable slog—the same principle assigned to every single room in a Zelda dungeon, coming from a community that's dedicated to making "hard" experiences, is not a pleasant concept.

The Link powerup here looks like a ton of fun. I like the Four Swords colors when you're in multiplayer! I wonder if there are other styles of Link or if he's only available in Super Mario Bros.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    The trailer says that the Master Sword is "Only available in Super Mario Bros. Game Style". It's like the big mushroom or superball flower, I guess.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Neveron wrote: »
    The trailer says that the Master Sword is "Only available in Super Mario Bros. Game Style". It's like the big mushroom or superball flower, I guess.

Probably because they can reuse the sprite from the first maker.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Now put Weird Mario in Zelda

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Put Gangly Creeper Mario into Odyssey 2.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Flying homing pokeys is some bullshit.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Mario Maker is great, but one of the underappreciated aspects of it is that it proves beyond the shadow of a doubt how bad a Zelda maker would be. The variable and sometimes arbitrary conditions for completing a level in Mario Maker 2 can be anywhere between a hoot and a frustrating, impenetrable slog—the same principle assigned to every single room in a Zelda dungeon, coming from a community that's dedicated to making "hard" experiences, is not a pleasant concept.

The Link powerup here looks like a ton of fun. I like the Four Swords colors when you're in multiplayer! I wonder if there are other styles of Link or if he's only available in Super Mario Bros.

between the link powerup and the chamber dungeons in the LA remake i'm completely convinced that Nintendo is bashing their heads against a wall trying to find a way to make a Zelda Maker that's fun to use

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

between the link powerup and the chamber dungeons in the LA remake i'm completely convinced that Nintendo is bashing their heads against a wall trying to find a way to make a Zelda Maker that's fun to use

I'm not a game designer so I can't speak with real confidence but it feels like the real issue is protecting players from themselves and from each other, which seems like it would be almost impossible without LA-style restrictions on what designers can do

The only thing that could be worse might be a Metroid Maker

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

they almost said as much in this IGN interview, yeah
    “I talk to Mr. Miyamoto regularly about ‘the next Zelda game,’ and one time, he asked me if I could come up with a game that features Super Mario Maker-like gameplay, but for Zelda,” Aonuma said. “We talked about how a game like this for Zelda would have dungeons, but it’s generally quite difficult to devise the logic needed to solve them.”
    they thought they had found a solution in having you remap premade rooms, but from what I've heard that didn't work out all that well?

also apparently the question about "how do we make Zelda Maker" was why they decided to remake specifically Link's Awakening?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean the vast majority of Mario Maker levels are just absolutely terrible so I don't feel like that's much of a bar against a Zelda maker or what have you.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I could see something like the Chalice Dungeons pop up in BotW2, with being able to put rewards like weapons in a chest in the end as an incentive to shift through the oodles of trash levels.

Mx. Quill on
This discussion has been closed.