As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    reasons for Detroit’s decline were myriad but i am pretty sure Babcock played a part in it

i don’t know if he can be blamed for the total collapse of their farm system, for example

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    reasons for Detroit’s decline were myriad but i am pretty sure Babcock played a part in it

i don’t know if he can be blamed for the total collapse of their farm system, for example

The Griffins won the Calder Cup in 2017. I think it might be a bit soon to be calling it a total collapse.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    LeTwig wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

The Griffins won the Calder Cup in 2017. I think it might be a bit soon to be calling it a total collapse.

The 2017 Griffins were also a pretty old team as far as the AHL goes. There were a few prospects on the way up, but most of them were fringe NHLers or AHL lifers. Of that team, only Tyler Bertuzzi, Tomas Nosek, Anthony Mantha, and Nick Jensen have really gone on to be full time NHLers. That's not to take anything away from their success, but it's not necessarily an indication of a deep prospect pool.

But also I think Detroit even having the prospects they had/have is an accomplishment, considering they didn't pick higher than 15th from 1992 to 2015, and rarely in the top 20 even then. When you make the playoffs every single year you don't get to draft as high.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I need to watch the relevant LFR but what's the early verdict on Sheldon Keefe?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I need to watch the relevant LFR but what's the early verdict on Sheldon Keefe?

Hockey is fun again, for the players as well as the fans

it's not been perfect, they gave up a goal 31 seconds in against Colorado, but he'd also only had time for 1 practice across 2 games on a road trip at that point.

but overall? Big improvement, they look like they're finally playing to their strengths.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Datsyuk leaving for the khl was after Babcock had already left, got those years wrong, sorry

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Also, Mike Babcock has coached a team without Nick lidstrom out of the first round of the playoffs exactly once, in 2003 with the Ducks.

He was given what are possibly the two best hockey teams ever constructed for the Olympics in 2010 and 2014, and that somehow made him the best coach in the history of the game.

I will say in 2010 the pressure of the olympics being in Canada was a thing, and had to be managed, but in 2014 a monkey probably could have coached that team to Olympic gold.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was doing a bit of reading last night, and somehow I had never heard how Babcock kept Mike Modano from playing in 1500 games. Apparently Babcock scratched him on the last game of the season and Modano retired at 1499.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Babcock is pretty clearly a dinosaur.

:so_raven:
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Kerfoot got suspended for 2 games for a hit from behind. Probably the right call.

I guess we'll hear how much Marchand is getting for pretty much an identical hit delivered on the same night any moment now right? Oh wait...not even a hearing?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/A3-L3YwU-iQ

this is apparently several months old but it’s the first time i’m seeing it and it’s stupid adorable

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    A second player from Peters time with the Ice Hogs

Sounds like Calgary just fired him.

Sounds like Calgary just fired him.

It was reported, then retracted. The Flames issued a statement that he was not fired and the investigation was continuing.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Jesus Calgary

this shouldn't matter in a case like this, but just to be extra clear, the Flames under Peters have been as bad or worse than the Leafs under Babcock. He is absolutely not worth sticking up for.

Oh, and there's this now too, from a former Cane's player now in the KHL

edited November 2019
    Daniel Carcillo @carbombboom13 has been out in front for all issues in the NHL about mental health and he's still out there talking about this coaching shit, too.

Edit: Also Ron Francis, former Penguin (among others) and current GM of my soon-to-be local hockey team, was reportedly aware of, and ignored, when Peters said those things (Ron was GM of the team at the time) according to multiple reports.

Burtletoy on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    In lighter news........Canadiens getting blown out at home. A place known to take large defeats we’ll....

Saw this earlier today and it's killing me:

f8en26y5vw84.jpg

edited November 2019
    Some people in the hockey media are reporting that Bill Peters not being fired yet but also not coaching the team is because "There is a process happening"
    My guess is that the team/league is gathering data/facts so they can dot the I's and cross the T's and terminate his contract entirely without having to keep paying what is remaining like what usually happens to coaches when they are fired.
    This is my own personal conjecture to it, but I wonder if it's taking time so the league can also put evidence together to ban/suspend him from the league for at least a period of time, or forever.
    so like, I don't expect him to ever coach another game in the league, but don't be surprised if it's a couple weeks before we hear that he's actually fired from the Flames.

wunderbar on
    Penguins come back from down 6-3 and win 8-6.

I believe that is the sixth time this season we have hit 7+ goals (but the first time we hit 8)

edited November 2019
    ok NOW Peters is fired.

I'm sorry, he 'resigned'.

https://www.tsn.ca/bill-peters-no-longer-calgary-flames-head-coach-1.1405594

Dissociater on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Hurray! With the removal of this one person, all of hockey culture is fine now!

edited November 2019
    This was too good not to share. Putting it in spoilers just in case though. Spoilers from The Mandalorian Episode 1&2 (like you don’t already know what it is.....)
    5wowxgxwdz3w.jpeg

Jayricho on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I laughed...
    ...but looking at the score sheet for the last few games, boy McDavid and Draisaitl sure do have a lot of weird spellings for their last names ;-) :lol:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    So, credit to Hockey Night in Canada where due. To talk about the events of the past week, instead of the normal white male talking heads they had Ron MacLean there to facilitate the conversation, but the panel was David Amber, who is a rising star in hockey media, and black, Anson Carter, a former player who works for NBC, and black, Sarah Nurse, a female hockey player for Canada, and black (and cousin to Edmonton Oilers' Darnell Nurse), and Anthony Stewart, a Jamacian-Canadian former hockey player.

They also had a panel with Kevin Bieksa and Sheldon Kennedy to talk about the abusive behaviour side of things, in which Bieksa suggested the reason some coaches physically/emotionally abuse players is because they’re too dumb to come up with a better way to motivate them

“I’m going to tell you a secret, the fans may not know, not all coaches are very smart.”

edited December 2019
    Sean Avery says that Marc Crawford kicked him once during a game.
    To be fair, Avery probably deserved it.

Jayricho on
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    They also had a panel with Kevin Bieksa and Sheldon Kennedy to talk about the abusive behaviour side of things, in which Bieksa suggested the reason some coaches physically/emotionally abuse players is because they’re too dumb to come up with a better way to motivate them

“I’m going to tell you a secret, the fans may not know, not all coaches are very smart.”

Bieksa has always been hilarious.

Johan Franzen agrees with chelios story about Babcock and adds more, too.

Jayricho wrote: »
    Sean Avery says that Marc Crawford kicked him once during a game.
    To be fair, Avery probably deserved it.

Crawford's being investigated now. https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-crawford-investigated-for-abuse-of-former-player/c-312084372

That Fleury save on Petan leading to the tearing down of hockey culture meme is proving more true every day.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Leafs v Flyers tonight. I'll have to record it but I'm cautiously excited it'll be good. As long as it's not the blowout that Pens v Flyers was (or Devils v Sabres holy shit)

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Jumbo pokes a covered puck, Mrazek attempts a slash on Jumbo and follows him behind the net. This would turn out to be a bad decision.

https://streamable.com/7steh

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    The Canes then drew a crime scene outline for Mrazek at practice

TsbHHAv.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited December 2019
    Back to back shutouts for Jarry and started in 6 of the last 7 games. Currently best sv% in the league (but not the largest sample size)

Gonna have to buy myself a Tristan Jarry jersey for Christmas.

Not a lot of us Tristan's out there. Gotta show support.

Edit: oh yeah, that one time I did a twitter

https://sports.yahoo.com/puck-daddy-bag-mail-blue-jackets-seattle-expansion-one-rule-nhl-adopt-190902268.html
    Tristan asks: “If you had to choose between Matt Murray, Tristan Jarry, and Casey DeSmith, who would you choose?”

I’m assuming this question is from Tristan Jarry, but I gotta say, bud: Instead of these two guys only nerds like me who pay too much attention to the draft have heard of, gimme the guy with two Stanley Cups already. This was a tough one, though.

Thanks for asking.

Burtletoy on
    Ugh Makar out now. Please be precautionary. Please be precautionary.

This discussion has been closed.