As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh shit the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is on Amazon. I might have to watch it tonight.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

Throw all the shade you want, but I got super excited when you said there is a third one! Netflix certainly seems to make a lot of odd choices from the outside looking in. I assume a lot of it is backed by ridiculously detailed watch data though. Know your audience and all that.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hallmark movies make money I assume. Otherwise they would have stopped making them like 2 decades ago.

Netflix making their own Hallmark movies only makes sense.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I mean guys; The Christmas Prince is a movie trilogy now! Those movies probably cost the same as a episode of MST3K. They certainly look it from the trailers.

Also what is it with American Women and their desire to marry an European prince? And don't blame Meghan Markle, this pre-dates her.

Princess culture.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Because American princes are way better at hide-and-go-seek than European ones?

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    MST3K is a solvable problem though. Just have them make fun of all the netflix produced stuff, like anything with Kevin Spacey should be easy pickings!

Pailryder on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    MST3K is a solvable problem though. Just have them make fun of all the netflix produced stuff, like anything with Kevin Spacey should be easy pickings!

See, but that's the irony, because there's no fucking way Netflix would be willing to have Netflix lampoon all the shit they churn out in the desperate hopes of retaining viewers with originals. They basically threw away a great system of sorting and finding quality shows years ago expressly to obscure when their shitty originals are outed as shitty.

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Amazon picks it up.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Throw all the shade you want, but I got super excited when you said there is a third one! Netflix certainly seems to make a lot of odd choices from the outside looking in. I assume a lot of it is backed by ridiculously detailed watch data though. Know your audience and all that.

Yeah, I'm always amused by people claiming Netflix is stupid because they're canceling all their quality shows and keeping the crap and clearly this is bad for them.

Like, it sucks that they're killing good shows, but I'm willing to bet they're making good financial decisions, at least short term.

Still though.

Santa Clarita Diet Nevar Forget.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I'm not willing to believe that at all, to be honest. Netflix has given every indication to have fallen victim to the exact kind of wasteful self-destructive short-sighted nonsense that plagues Hollywood, as evidenced by things like their "unofficial" policy of cancelling any show after two seasons unless it's incredibly successful. Their total disinterest in supporting anything long-term is one of the major reasons I'm looking at cancelling them, because I know it's unlikely they will ever support a show long enough to really go somewhere if it doesn't have fifty zillion viewers.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

See, but that's the irony, because there's no fucking way Netflix would be willing to have Netflix lampoon all the shit they churn out in the desperate hopes of retaining viewers with originals. They basically threw away a great system of sorting and finding quality shows years ago expressly to obscure when their shitty originals are outed as shitty.

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope Amazon picks it up.

Part of me is hoping Amazon picks it up just as a fuck you to Netflix but honestly Amazon makes so much god damn money I'd be surprised if there was anything even resembling a rivalry :P

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

It's not just that I think new shows may need a few seasons before they really come into their own. It's that show runners, writers, and actors deserve to not have their wages artificially suppressed. Use all the data you want to fine tune your productions, but don't skim your profits off the futures of the talent.

You're not wrong but at the same time this is is an industry wide phenomena.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

You're not wrong but at the same time this is is an industry wide phenomena.

Is it? HBO was begging for more GoT, the most expensive show in history. I think it's pretty unique to Netflix, this artificial broadening and shallowing of its library.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    The subscription model does mean that streaming services are better suited for niche content than cable (because it's more about drawing in new people than maximizing eyeballs per prime time slot) but it also means that multiple shows that bring in the same subset of the market have diminishing returns.

Netflix wants to have enough content in broad categories to keep everybody and their mother subscribed, and not more, because the cost of that extra content could be profit instead.

Couple that with "new" being the holy grail of marketing, and you have a system where good shows will get cancelled not because people don't watch them, but because the people that watch them also watch other stuff.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm not willing to believe that at all, to be honest. Netflix has given every indication to have fallen victim to the exact kind of wasteful self-destructive short-sighted nonsense that plagues Hollywood, as evidenced by things like their "unofficial" policy of cancelling any show after two seasons unless it's incredibly successful. Their total disinterest in supporting anything long-term is one of the major reasons I'm looking at cancelling them, because I know it's unlikely they will ever support a show long enough to really go somewhere if it doesn't have fifty zillion viewers.

I mean, the training for that policy is (ostensibly) the exact thing you're claiming to dispute. Netflix says their data indicates that whether or not people watch more than two seasons of a show is independent of whether or not they resubscribe.

(Or something similar to that, it's been a while)

You are, according to what they say, an outlier

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I got through the first half of "The ______ Report" last night. Man everything about it is infuriating, the US should have been (be?) put on trial Nuremberg style. It's not a huge quantity, but it is top quality in terms or war crimes and human rights atrocities.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

While that sounds good, fight choreography was never exactly GoT's strong suit. I can think of less than a handful of memorable one-on-one fights in however many seasons of GoT there were and all of them were fairly short and relatively straight-forward. I get that you have to make comparisons to GoT if you're a media person because it's the fantasy elephant in the room but if I were making a list of "things GoT did well", fight choreography wouldn't be on it anywhere.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    plus no one in GoT had Aard

5gsowHm.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, there was what, the Arya+Brienne sparring match, and the Viper vs Mountain duel, and that was really it for 1v1 fights of note across 8 seasons.

Edit: Bronn vs that 1 knight in the vale in season 1 was noteworthy, but also deliberately not impressive.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yeah, there was what, the Arya+Brienne sparring match, and the Viper vs Mountain duel, and that was really it for 1v1 fights of note across 8 seasons.

Edit: Bronn vs that 1 knight in the vale in season 1 was noteworthy, but also deliberately not impressive.

Jon's duel with the Night's Watch traitor, Jon's duel with the wildling during the castle black fight. Eddard Stark vs Jaimie in season 1. The Arena fight, the awful that was Jaimie and Bron vs the Sand snakes.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A streaming service basically just needs to provide sufficient content every other month for one person in the household to miss it being gone.

I like cartoons that can be watched casually which is not straight up for children only or crass, so as long as there is a Bojack, She-Ra, Dragon Prince, HTTY Dragon, etc. in the works, they have my attention.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Final Space is great--check it out, @Incenjucar !

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's a new month, is it candy or coal with these new Netflix stocking stuffers?

-Austin Powers 1-3
    -Catwoman
    -Cool Hand Luke
    -Deep Blue Sea
    -The Departed
    -The Dirty Dozen
    -Malcolm X
    -Night at the Roxbury
    -Primal Fear

There is also a spin-off of The Toys That Made Us, The Movies That Made Us, which seems to have people talk about movies they worked on or something that impacted them. Dirty Dancing, Die Hard, Home Alone, and Ghostbusters seem to be the movies but really this feels like they're stretching a bit with the format, like it's some VH1 knockoff from the '00s. If I want movie talk there's a thousand youtubers having the wrong opinions on these things.

Amazon has:

-Man on the Moon
    -The Spirit
    -Hancock
    -Iron Man 2

Also of note, it seems Amazon is putting up 4k versions of movies now, but they are under their own image/tile, so Iron Man 2 will show up as Iron Man 2 and then another box with different thumbnail art will be Iron Man 2 (4K UHD)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh shit that's a good selection from Netflix.

Night at the Roxbury is literally my #1 guilty pleasure.

I agree with all of this, but none of it speaks to whether what Netflix is doing is profitable.

The argument seems to be

Netflix: "We believe our current policies make us money based on analyzing hundreds of millions of data points on subscription and viewing figures."

Vs

Some subscribers: "I think your policies aren't profitable because I'm sad you canceled that show I like. One of these days, I might cancel my subscription. Maybe."

I'm also sad they cancelled that show I like, but it's still not a compelling argument.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Final Space is great--check it out, Incenjucar !

I watched it when I was in Montreal. Not available in the US. :(

Incenjucar wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    Final Space is great--check it out, Incenjucar !

I watched it when I was in Montreal. Not available in the US. :(

Suck it America!

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Aww, they just dropped Season 2 recently. I'll probably hit that up this week.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also of note, it seems Amazon is putting up 4k versions of movies now, but they are under their own image/tile, so Iron Man 2 will show up as Iron Man 2 and then another box with different thumbnail art will be Iron Man 2 (4K UHD)

Amazon's Video UI is the worst....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Amazon needs to let me turn off "channels." Quit trying to make channels happen, they are not going to happen.

Nosf on
    kime wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Amazon's Video UI is the worst....

I was going to say something about Hulu, but I dunno, Amazon is pretty terrible. I guess it's marginally easier to get to their search function?

I guess while Amazon's is completely dreadful, Hulu's feels like they actively want me to shut down their app and go do something better with my time.

I got my parents an Amazon Five TV for Mother's/Father's day because they already had a prime membership

They haven't really used the streaming on the TV much yet because summer things but now that we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground I'm just waiting for the text about how the TV just charged them to watch a show because of how shit the amazon UI is.

• LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for the text about how the TV just charged them to watch a show because of how shit the amazon UI is.

The first thing I did with my parents' fire TV was add a passcode for purchases.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I have let my parents use my prime account because they've been getting tired of Netflix and they have been pretty good about knowing what to watch when you say as long as it has a white stripe in the top left corner it's classy. And at least on Apple TV something pops up on the pay stuff saying "you sure you want to pay for this?"

I mean Amazon now thinks I like Murder She Wrote, British murder mystery shows and NYPD Blue and these new VOD Bruce Willis movies but it's getting its use.

Amazon Video is the goddamn worst. They so obviously just do not give a single shit about it as a service people use.

The most annoying thing remains it's habit of saying "Yes we have that!" when really they mean "No, we don't. But you could buy the DVD or buy an HBO subscription and then see it!".

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Amazon Video is the goddamn worst. They so obviously just do not give a single shit about it as a service people use.

The most annoying thing remains it's habit of saying "Yes we have that!" when really they mean "No, we don't. But you could buy the DVD or buy an HBO subscription and then see it!".

Hulu does that too which is frustrating.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Amazon has alot of older shit the other services don't have

but if its an obscure movie chances are its a shit SD transfer that looks like a VHS

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

They've gone off the deep end with this now to the point where I have entire queues in the app for shows I can't watch unless I subscribe so some random canadian digital service thing.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As a Parent, Amazon is becoming a pain. What used to be free with prime is now being splintered to pay channels. Noggin, PBS kids, etc. It sucks when my daughter tries to watch something she’s seen before the switch and now can’t. I’m not about to pay for at least 3 more kid services.

It’s funny when she tries to watch something on prime to find out she can’t but can watch it on another service like Disney +. Someone needs to make an app that congregates all the subs you have into one big list and when you select the movie it opens it in that other App.

50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.