As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] nailed it

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Huh. I was legit wondering if Super Mario Maker 2 was gonna get updates like the original did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjgg0M_rgzM

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I am sleeping all weekend then doing like 4 hours a night weekday. Ugh.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The AI in the pokemon battle tower is fucking crazy. I didn't know game freak had been paying attention to the competitive scene for their game.
    Here's a good example. Gyrados has an ability called "Intimidate" that causes the enemy pokemon to experience an attack stat debuff when it enters play. In the single player game you're just like, fuck yeah, gyrados is so cool he makes enemies wet their pants, haha, cool.
    In competitive, the AI uses special attacks and battle events to shuffle gyrados in and out of play repeatedly until you have a 5x attack debuff and you can barely scratch the opponent with your strongest attack. Maybe I am a stupid but I didn't even CONSIDER doing this, despite the language on the intimidate ability being clear that the debuff applies on entering the battlefield. I didn't consider that it would stack!
    This game basically doesn't have AI through the campaign and all the sudden in the battle tower it comes out with some fuckin next level shit. No time to adjust, just sudden hardcore high level rules lawyer play.

pokemon opponents having actual AI is something I would consider a bug

it's unheard of

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    DK you're making me wanna play Pokémon more, not less

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    1n17crkykpz5.jpeg

good morning

i have a cold and feel like garbage how are you

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello. A genuine awesome for the photo, a sarcarstic awesome for the sickness.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Coworker brought me in a bacon egg mcbiscuit for breakfast.

There may be light in this dark world.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i found out wednesday i have 12 hours of PTO i need to use by the end of the year even though i was only officially hired two weeks ago

so in a way getting sick is doing me a favor?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i found out wednesday i have 12 hours of PTO i need to use by the end of the year even though i was only officially hired two weeks ago

so in a way getting sick is doing me a favor?

No. The answer is no.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    The thing about the Pokemon Battle Noun (tower, cafe, train, etc) is that not only do the AI players suddenly start using their brains during battles, they also start having teams that have structure as well as using held items on their pokemon (such as choice scarfs)

On top of that, their pokemon have perfect stats all the way through, and even have access to things thus far unavailable even to other players (libero cinderace, for example)

On top of all that, at least in earlier games the AI had programmed super luck- moves with low accuracy would hit more often, secondary effects are more common on their attacks, they had a higher crit chance, and multi-hit moves would tend to hit 5 times rather than 2.

It's a combination of fun and also absolute bullshit in places

@Donkey Kong

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I've been fighting real actual players in Pokemon on the competition ladder.

I'm playing in doubles, which means you bring 6 Pokemon and use four, sending two out at a time.

I have 5 wins and 6 losses, which I think is pretty good, especially since I'm not using anything overly powerful with the exception of Sylveon- at least, I'm definitely not playing the current "meta" as defined by the most commonly used pokemon. My team is under the spoiler
    Noivern@Focus Sash
    Ability: Frisk
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 SpA 4 SpD 252 Spe
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Super Fang
    -Tailwind
    -Defog

Rillaboom @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Knock Off
    - U-turn

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    Jolly Nature
    - Switcheroo
    - Facade
    - Knock Off
    - Obstruct

Toxtricity @ Throat Spray
    Ability: Punk Rock
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Mild Nature
    - Snarl
    - Boomburst
    - Overdrive
    - Sludge Bomb

Sylveon@Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Speed
    Modest Nature
    Pixilate
    -Hyper Voice
    -Mystical Fire
    -Shadow Ball
    -Psyshock

Seismitoad@Leftovers
    Ability:Swift Swim
    Calm Nature
    EVs: 252 HP 112 Def 144 Speed
    -Mud Shot
    -Scald
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Grass Knot

So far the only one to not really pull their weight is Rillaboom, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with them...

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am an office worker but I can swing a forklift like nobody, it’s a neat thing to be good at when the occasion comes. Then people are like “damn honk u do a pretty good forklift bro”.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2019
    I'm thinking about ideas for a new DnD character now that my warlock died. The way I tend to do this is come up with what I think would be cool from a story point of view and what would be fun. Not really optimizing combat but it does have to be not extremely terrible at least.

From that story + fun point I am now thinking about a multiclass of Cleric(Arcane domain)/Rogue(scout). I would get it start at level 6 or 7 for this, and I would have one more free ASI/feat than standard - campaign specific. I’ve not really at all sketched on this mechanically but came up with an idea story wise and the specific subclasses would fit it.

If anyone feels like weighing in on this in any way that would be super cool! I likely won’t be around much today but please @ me if you write on this and I will delightfully read at least tomorrow!

Edit: Just on a very basic conceptual level it’d be sort of an adventuring researcher. I would intend to mainly use the cleric for buffing/healing and the rogue part to be a bit selective in when to engage and to be able to land a sneak attack here and there.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

I'm playing in doubles, which means you bring 6 Pokemon and use four, sending two out at a time.

I have 5 wins and 6 losses, which I think is pretty good, especially since I'm not using anything overly powerful with the exception of Sylveon- at least, I'm definitely not playing the current "meta" as defined by the most commonly used pokemon. My team is under the spoiler
    Noivern@Focus Sash
    Timid Nature
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Super Fang
    -Tailwind
    -Defog

Rillaboom @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Knock Off
    - U-turn

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Switcheroo
    - Facade
    - Knock Off
    - Obstruct

Mild Nature
    - Snarl
    - Boomburst
    - Overdrive
    - Sludge Bomb

Sylveon@Assault Vest
    Modest Nature
    Pixilate
    -Hyper Voice
    -Mystical Fire
    -Shadow Ball
    -Psyshock

Seismitoad@Leftovers
    Calm Nature
    -Mud Shot
    -Scald
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Grass Knot

So far the only one to not really pull their weight is Rillaboom, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with them...

Glue

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    OH BOY, this chat thread doesn't jump you to the latest unseen post because of the Bug.

This is great.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I feel like shit today.

Glad to have the in-laws out, they are fun to hang out with but the last week has been fucken exhausting. Now to have a quiet couple of days. Then pax

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Noivern@Focus Sash
    Timid Nature
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Super Fang
    -Tailwind
    -Defog

Rillaboom @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Superpower
    - Knock Off
    - U-turn

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Switcheroo
    - Facade
    - Knock Off
    - Obstruct

Mild Nature
    - Snarl
    - Boomburst
    - Overdrive
    - Sludge Bomb

Sylveon@Assault Vest
    Modest Nature
    Pixilate
    -Hyper Voice
    -Mystical Fire
    -Shadow Ball
    -Psyshock

Seismitoad@Leftovers
    Calm Nature
    -Mud Shot
    -Scald
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Grass Knot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDzf_wguQU

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I am an office worker but I can swing a forklift like nobody, it’s a neat thing to be good at when the occasion comes. Then people are like “damn honk u do a pretty good forklift bro”.

it's cool to be good at things

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    OH BOY, this chat thread doesn't jump you to the latest unseen post because of the Bug.

This is great.

I believe posting in the thread fixes this bug - by thy very complaint art thou healed

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    but doctor, I am the latest unseen post etc etc

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    image0.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

This is great.

I believe posting in the thread fixes this bug - by thy very complaint art thou healed

ah, so it is.

Complaining always solves my problems.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Really weird, this chat specific bug

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the most important part of the battle tower in the new pokemon is the toby fox

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    good morning friends

the holiday time off was good but very busy and I am, like many of you, now exhausted

let's flop down on the floor together and slowly merge into an indeterminate shape

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Alright, dentist appointment at 1030!

Nan's funeral is at 0930!

GONNA THREAD THIS NEEDLE

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm investigating DNS things today. Amazon's AWS stuff is involved.

j40ea15sm133.jpg

• Options
    The latest epic rap battle of history is a masterpiece.

*chefs kiss*

• Options
    shenmue 3's woodchopping minigame is amazing because of the music

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The best part of this css breakage is the blue dot meme is back. Gotta post in a thread to track it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is one of those days I am pretty happy to have Monday as my telework day.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    work is organising a 12 pubs for Friday

anyone got any suggestions for rules?

First to leave gets fired
    Last to leave gets fired

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    work is organising a 12 pubs for Friday

anyone got any suggestions for rules?

12 drinks at the first pub then a footrace through the next 11.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    thinking about playing Shenmue 3, without having played or knowing anything about Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2

• Options
    12 Pubs Work Event Rules
    1. You can elect to take a cash payout in lieu of attendance and just go home

• Options
    thinking about playing Shenmue 3, without having played or knowing anything about Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2
    they have a little video summary of the previous games
    you chop wood and gamble

• Options
    12 Pubs Work Event Rules
    1. You can elect to take a cash payout in lieu of attendance and just go home
    ...why doesn’t everyone take the cash payout and go home?

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    they have a little video summary of the previous games
    you chop wood and gamble

I'll skip the summary

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there actually a competitive ladder in sword/shield? Like, you can get a ranking?

I've only gotten I think 5 of the gym badges in shield so far but perhaps I need to get to the end game a little faster because that sounds fun.

And then, instead, I'll get stuck breeding ditto forever.

This discussion has been closed.