As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't agree with the injury system is;
    1: why do side torso losses injure the pilot?
    2: when they get cored out, why isn't the ejection system punching them out? I HATE that losing a mech to CT coring almost always kills the pilot. I'd be happier with a rare bad ejection killing the pilot or putting them near death.

Probably added to compensate for ammo explosions only doing 1 pilot damage, not 2, removal of heat caused ammo explosions, removal of ammo damage transfer due to all mechs having CASE, removal of heat damage to pilot if life support is damaged, and removal of pilot consciousness checks entirely.

It is. Chance of death on CT destruction is 90% - %5 x Guts. Chance of death on cockpit destruction is 140% - 5% x Guts. So the automatic ejection system can get CT death chance down to 40% with 10 Guts. But if you use the manual eject button, you are guaranteed to survive. Don't put your pilot's life in the hands of the computer if you think you're about to go down.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    It is. Chance of death on CT destruction is 90% - %5 x Guts. Chance of death on cockpit destruction is 140% - 5% x Guts. So the automatic ejection system can get CT death chance down to 40% with 10 Guts. But if you use the manual eject button, you are guaranteed to survive. Don't put your pilot's life in the hands of the computer if you think you're about to go down.

And chance for sassy Flashpoint NPCs to die when you fire two 120 damage AC20 shots into their cockpit: 0%. I was especially impressed by the enemy NPC pilot who kept on yelling at me on the round after I had just cored her mech. :P

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just ran some Flashpoint missions. After three missions, I had seven pilots down from eight wounds, four of which happened in three consecutive turns because an LRM launcher got two fucking headshots in one salvo from "stray fire" hits, then the next two missile salvos to another pilot immediately went to headshots.

What a moronic anti-fun mechanic. It was worse when the game came out, but it's still completely fucking stupid because of the volume of fire the player takes. Dunno if I'll play again after finishing a Heavy Metal run, but I do know that I will never be playing again without stripping out headshots dealt by NPCs.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Why does every planet I end up in gotta have Martian or Lunar climates. I've been using the same lance for days, because they're the guys that handle heat the best. I got a Battlemaster something like twelve missions ago, I tuned it for a ridiculous amount of short range laser punch (like 7 mediums, two smalls, plus an SRM battery), and I still haven't been able to field it because bringing this to a "lol your heat sinks don't work" planet seems like asking for trouble.

At least the Zeus and the Victor have been doing a pile of work.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Why does every planet I end up in gotta have Martian or Lunar climates. I've been using the same lance for days, because they're the guys that handle heat the best. I got a Battlemaster something like twelve missions ago, I tuned it for a ridiculous amount of short range laser punch (like 7 mediums, two smalls, plus an SRM battery), and I still haven't been able to field it because bringing this to a "lol your heat sinks don't work" planet seems like asking for trouble.

You do know you can see the climate of the system when you check them in navigation? Just never enter any of those systems except for Flashpoints/Black Market shopping and you are good.

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

You do know you can see the climate of the system when you check them in navigation? Just never enter any of those systems except for Flashpoints/Black Market shopping and you are good.

I know, but I'm in campaign, I kinda have to go between the Arano Restoration systems if I want to have actual missions available, and I try to stay and complete missions when the main quests send me places. And the places the main quest sends me seem to very much skew Arid and up, temp-wise!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Battlemasters can take a good beating, so it may be worth taking one along, if only to soak some fire. Also you can shut off a few of the MLs after a couple strikes. And if you're close enough, you can always melee to sink a bunch of heat.

• Options
    Just ran some Flashpoint missions. After three missions, I had seven pilots down from eight wounds, four of which happened in three consecutive turns because an LRM launcher got two fucking headshots in one salvo from "stray fire" hits, then the next two missile salvos to another pilot immediately went to headshots.

What a moronic anti-fun mechanic. It was worse when the game came out, but it's still completely fucking stupid because of the volume of fire the player takes. Dunno if I'll play again after finishing a Heavy Metal run, but I do know that I will never be playing again without stripping out headshots dealt by NPCs.

Do you recall angering any strange old women recently? Because you must be cursed to have luck like that..

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular

1. Exit the game.
    2. Open this file in a text editor:.
      \Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Components_base.csv

3. Add the following lines to the end:
      Gear_Cockpit_Ceres_Metals_Braced,Upgrade,0,10
      Gear_Cockpit_Ceres_Metals_Reinforced,Upgrade,0,10
      Gear_Cockpit_Ceres_Metals_Hardened,Upgrade,0,10

4. Save the file.

Enjoy the full set of Injury Resist cockpit modules available in every shop, in unlimited quantities.
    Don't forget to equip them to each Battlemech's head slot.

If need be, you can edit the "Cost" in the files for each cockpit mod, which are also plain text. They're located at:
    \Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\upgrades\cockpitMods\

Each one is named the same as in the lines above.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That's a neat trick, @IceBurner! Do you happen to know what it would be for Gauss ammo? :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    That's a neat trick, @IceBurner! Do you happen to know what it would be for Gauss ammo? :)
    Sure.
    1. Exit the game.
    2. Open this file in a text editor:
      \Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Ammo_all.csv

3. Add this line to the end:
      Ammo_AmmunitionBox_Generic_GAUSS,AmmunitionBox,0,10

4. Save.

Note that these are direct edits of the game, not a proper "mod". As such you'll have to redo the edits if a game update replaces any file you changed. Unlikely at this point, but you never know.

• Options
    I don't have it in front of me, so verify names of things yourself, but if I recall, ammunition box files would be in this folder

\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\ammunitionbox

Just replace the "Upgrade" component type in the itemcollection line with "AmmunitionBox" and replace the component ID (first column) with the file name without ".json". As far as I know all item IDs HBS use are the same as the filename. Component types are listed as entries inside the json file. Last 2 columns are amount (0 is unlimited) and rarity/chance of appearing (10 is always available).

Also keep in mind this is not the standard way to create mods for BT. By directly editing the files like this, your changes will be overwritten after any patches or file verification. If you set it up in the standard modtek mod format, your changes will persist.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to beat the first HM flashpoint campaign with an Enforcer, a Vindicator, and a Firestarter.

I've actually managed to make it to the final stage. Haha ohhh god help me.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Boy am I happy that I stopped doing story until I had some serious heavyweights. Defense Panzyr would have been a clusterfuck if I wasn't packing the kind of firepower I was packing and didn't have multiple pilots with the split fire skill. A two pronged attack while at the same time requiring you to split someone to save some people is not the greatest tactical situation!

Thankfully, the climate in this was cold, so the Battlemaster could finally come out, and Dekker just bumrushed the fuck out of the secondary objective in it (stopping to Kronch a dude on the way with his brand new Arm Mod+++) and laser the infiltrating vehicle, while everyone else just basically reenacted that one Doom poster and stayed on the hill base shooting in every direction.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Do you recall angering any strange old women recently? Because you must be cursed to have luck like that..

I was pretty astounded when the stray fire from the LRM salvo injured two different pilots. I get that it's not statistically impossible, but that has to be some pretty crazy low odds. First the missiles had to scatter off the first target, then they had roll to hit the other target, and then they had to roll to hit the head. And that's after the salvo does all that for the original target.

Did I mention both targets were angled away from the launcher as well? So all those missiles also had to get past the far higher probability of hitting the side of the mech over the cockpit.

Personally, I think there's something fucky with missiles. It seems to me like they have the same headshot percentage as anything else and only one missile counts for damage if a headshot lands, but every missile gets a chance at triggering a headshot. Single-shot weapons rarely deal headshots, but it seems like any large salvo of MG/missile fire triggers them.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So I decided to try out the whole ally with a faction thing. Ended up with the Capellans *shudder*. But I already did a ton of mission for them and since they have a ton of world's, I figured there would be plenty of places to go to find good gear.
    Boy howdy did they deliver. Limitless SRM+++ on the first planet with their special market. Along with a Gauss with -2 ton weight (at 4 million!). Large pulse lasers, ER mediums. As well as other goodies to add to mechs.
    Luckily they had the final piece to a second highlander because I ran a 4 skull mission and only came back with 3 mechs in various states of destruction. Lost my Black Knight I had for a looooong time that was fantastic at surgically removing center torsos of mediums in 1 round and crippling heavies.
    Dropped with the Black Knight, Cyclops, Highlander and Archer in an urban area. Ran in, saw a Banshee, picked the wrong way to flank and ran right into the support Lance of a Cyclops, Catapult C4, Rifleman and Thunderbolt. Then in struts the main Lance of Banshee, Rifleman, Thunderbolt and Catapult C1.
    The C4 decided to hop on top of a tall building, so I shot it out from under it. And the game, being BS at times, only does 80 damage per leg on the high fall. :(
    Long story short, I lost the black knight by round 3 then the rest of my Lance gets chipped away at, runs out of LRMS, ultra ac20 ammo and fired it's last Gauss round on the second to last turn. Took a lot of twisting and turning to not lose the Gauss and ultra 20 from torso destruction. It was close.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I thought Gauss rifles were the best... until I allied with Federated Suns and got access to unlimited UAC/20s with +20 damage and -3 tons of weight.
    An Annihilator with a ballistic damage boost unit can handily throw out an alpha that straight-up doesn't care what you're shooting at if you're aiming for CT, because nothing in the game can survive the salvo. And I've got two Annihilators. Sure, there's a little bit of recoil, but you probably don't even need to fire every cannon every turn anyway so it's easy enough to alternate fire and keep the accuracy up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Snub PPCs with +10 damage on a Warhammer are incredible. You’re throwing out 2 salvos of 30x5 damage. That’s 300 if everything hits.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Dude, you're spreading it around now. I had a mission today where an LRM 15 Awesome headshot the same hunchback pilot twice in a mission.

• Options
    Wait. Awesomes on the AI side carry more than just PPCs?

• Options
    I will agree that far as I can tell missiles are definitely the leading cause of pilot injuries. I'm pretty sure at this point my Dekker has a serious case of missilephobia after, in multiple occasions, ending up in the medbay for nearly a month after the scatter RNG decided to be a dick.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The AWS-8T Awesome variant is the other assault-class missile boat. They're not that common, but neither is the STK-3F Stalker, in my experience.

• Options
    Personally, I think there's something fucky with missiles. It seems to me like they have the same headshot percentage as anything else and only one missile counts for damage if a headshot lands, but every missile gets a chance at triggering a headshot. Single-shot weapons rarely deal headshots, but it seems like any large salvo of MG/missile fire triggers them.

LRMs have a different system than any other weapon in the game - they only check for headshots for the first missile of every salvo, but if that first one hits then the rest have the usual 1% chance of hitting the head as well. The thing about LRMs is that no matter how well you play the AI will lob them at you all the time so eventually you'll catch one with your face, low odds or not.
    SRMs and MGs and probably every other shotgun-type weapon (LBXs and Snub PPCs) just roll individually for every shot, so something like a SRM6 or MG has a fairly high chance of landing at least one hit on the head just by accident.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I was as surprised as you.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Battletech:
    Well, consider me annoyed. I spotted a Flashpoint that was within my means, for a Rare 'Mech, and had 21 days until it expired. It took 21 days to nav there. I figured it would be available once I got in system.
    Nooooooooooooope.
    God damnit. Now I'm in a system that's on the far upper-left, and it's 0.5-1 Skull higher than I think I'm ready for. I might have to jump again and eat the lost time.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Can you take a travel contract at least?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    The injury rates continue to be way too fucking high and the recovery rates way too fucking low. There are few things more irritating to me than going into a Battletech mission, spending the first three combat rounds going for headshots and not getting one, and then my opponents land at least two headshots randomly. You are basically guaranteed to sustain multiple injuries if fights last more than a couple rounds, NPCs should simply not inflict headshots at the same rate as the player. I will accidentally get a headshot hit maybe once every 3-4 missions, but the opposing forces get them at least once every 3-4 rounds.

We've been over the math and confirmation bias reasons before on why the headshot rates seen are not actually any higher than the game's 1.2% expected value. But they did introduce a bug in 1.8 where pilot health/recovery is partly broken on the Argo. You still have expected health amounts in battles, but if you look in the barracks, everyone taken on a mission will be stuck at 3 health. Which means all pilots currently have longer than normal recovery times due to health stuck at 3.

I imagine a big part of why it feels like enemies get more headshots is because they plain do more shots because in this game you're goddamn always outnumbered at least 2:1.

And the old adage for D&D GMs holds: "a specific NPC will only be subjected to like ten rolls before leaving the campaign, a PC will be subject to over a thousand. Balance your encounters accordingly". This was a warning about insteant death effects, no matter how "low" the chance, but the basic idea holds here. An NPC pilot taking a couple random head wounds from an LRM barrage means nothing unless you can take all four or so wounds from them. A random player pilot taking a couple random head wounds from an LRM barrage means the pilot becomes unusable for a month, hurting the player for the next two missions at least.

In other news, I've been wondering whether I want the DLC for this game. I do have Flashpoint, because I got this from Humble, but I dunno if Urban Warfare+Heavy Metal are worth it - its at least 25 bucks, after all. That's an entire new game right there.

Almost all of the mechs in Heavy Metal are in one of the various overhaul mods; you just won't get the chassis quirks.

The what now?

The models for the mechs are all pretty much taken from MWO. So the mechs like the Phoenix Hawk and Annihilator exist in mods like BTExtended with lore appropriate hardpoints and armour values, etc. For the longest time I thought the Archer was in the base game.

Those mechs just won't have the quirks that were added with Heavy Metal.

• Options
    Well, in the end yesterday I saw a site doing a flash sale on the season pass for 15 euro so I went fuck it and nabbed it. Hopefully this doesn't make the rest of the campaign harder!

• Options
    Also, I think I finished setting up my battlemaster. This boy has been doing amazingly well:
    20191202154611_1.jpg

I do wish you could give mechs names.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    You can. Just click on where is says Battlemaster and off you go!

• Options
    I may steal that build for my upcoming first Career run.

• Options
    I got a FP crate reward of a Gauss Rifle + (-2 tons) but no ammo. I may update game files to fix that because there's something inherently wrong with having a Gauss not equipped (the + version got swapped into a Atlas).

Also I kinda want to put all 3 Gauss Rifles on my Annihilator and cackle maniacally as mechs just fall over.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Well, just to jump on the 'pilot damage is bollocks' train, I will add my 2 cents.

Cent #1: Pilot damage isn't a big deal, once you have 5+ HP there is plenty of warning to punch out if you're getting low. I agree that CT destruction should give a decent chance of ejection (maybe a mod to raise that %)?

Cent #2: I just lost a high level pilot because a disarmed (literally) Maurader ran up and kicked him in the face. Straight death from a goddamn judo-kick (head destruction). That is bullshit.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

WTF seriously?

I am stupid.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

WAIT WHAT THE FUCKING HELL

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS

• Options
    Cent #2: I just lost a high level pilot because a disarmed (literally) Maurader ran up and kicked him in the face. Straight death from a goddamn judo-kick (head destruction). That is bullshit.

That happened to me awhile back. I was so mad I quit that career run right on the spot.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

That happened to me awhile back. I was so mad I quit that career run right on the spot.

I’ve quit missions before where things have gone ridiculously downhill because of events like enemies spawning right behind you, but when something like the above happens I usually keep it. Mainly because I’ve done it to other Mechs, so fair play.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I’ve quit missions before where things have gone ridiculously downhill because of events like enemies spawning right behind you, but when something like the above happens I usually keep it. Mainly because I’ve done it to other Mechs, so fair play.

Same for me. I actually think losing a pilot to instant kill One-Punch Man is kinda cool, given how rare it is and how you can prevent it by not getting into melee range with big enemies. Memento Mori and all that, makes you sad and mad for a bit and then you hire a new guy and promote one of your B-team guys into A-team. Life goes on, just that there's a new name on the memorial wall to remind you to never bring a medium laser to a punching fight.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    With Heavy Metal, I'm going to have to make a cheat run with something like a Phoenix Hawk or whatever with a Coil-L and some double heatsinks from the start and see what shit I can wreck.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    \
    Syngyne wrote: »

Now I want to see a mission where you deploy your lance against a single lone enemy mech with it's back to you because it was busy dealing with whatever it was shooting at before you got called in as reinforcements.
    Let me have half the advantages you're giving to the other guys, please?