As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

KRANCH [bad food]

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I like to eat it straight out the can over the sink in my underpants or I would if I had a sink

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    At least you have underpants!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was sad that I had no underpants
    Until I met a man with no butt

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I grew up eating Tuna salad made with McCormick mayo, which is a Mexican brand that has a hint of lime in it. We also add corn, onions and jalapenos.

Then mix it up with some Mexican rice and I got a lazy dinner for the week.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Canned tuna was on sale, so I made some good ol' tuna sammiches
    What tricks do y'all use for yours, I feel like everyone makes 'em differently. I chop garlic and onion, put a little vinegar and lime juice on and let that sit for a while, then add the tuna and a bit of mayo. Plus a shot of sesame oil and hot sauce, along with whatever seasoning and spices to taste, usually chili powder.

I used to make tuna salad with basil pesto and some chopped up sundried tomatoes.

steam_sig.png
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me that you can take the tuna in oil, pat em into a cake, and fry those bitches up and make a tuna pattie. Sounds pretty tasty but I havent tried it yet.

I should do that.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I think I'm getting ill again. Three years in South Africa and I only ever got sick when I visited home. Now I'm back and it feels like I have something once a month. Fuck this stupid country.

Edit: this isn't the thread I thought it was, but I'm gonna leave my moaning here anyway
    Just bang some hot sauce on all your food.
    Will clear your sinus right out
    Also, hot sauce is good.

I really miss the piri-piri seasoning we had in SA. I used to put it on everything and I prefer that over hot sauce because sometimes I want the spice without the wetness you know. I'm going to have to stock up on it when I go back on holiday in January.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Canned tuna was on sale, so I made some good ol' tuna sammiches
    What tricks do y'all use for yours, I feel like everyone makes 'em differently. I chop garlic and onion, put a little vinegar and lime juice on and let that sit for a while, then add the tuna and a bit of mayo. Plus a shot of sesame oil and hot sauce, along with whatever seasoning and spices to taste, usually chili powder.

Horseradish. Goes well with any oily fish, so I add a teaspoon when I make tuna mayo

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I think I'm getting ill again. Three years in South Africa and I only ever got sick when I visited home. Now I'm back and it feels like I have something once a month. Fuck this stupid country.

Edit: this isn't the thread I thought it was, but I'm gonna leave my moaning here anyway
    Just bang some hot sauce on all your food.
    Will clear your sinus right out
    Also, hot sauce is good.

I really miss the piri-piri seasoning we had in SA. I used to put it on everything and I prefer that over hot sauce because sometimes I want the spice without the wetness you know. I'm going to have to stock up on it when I go back on holiday in January.

This is probably nowhere near as good as the real stuff you'd get in SA, but you could grab a shaker of this and see if you like it? https://www.nandos.co.uk/food/peri-peri-salt

I put it on my chips from the chippy and it's fucking magnificent. It's the same stuff they put on the 'seasoned' chips in the restaurants.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I use this stuff called Berbere Spice I got from Penzey's that's pretty nice. No idea if uses any of the same ingredients or if it's even available there!

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I assume the Toblerone comes as a side?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The phrase 'Cranberry tzatziki sauce' was just uttered in my office and I'm ... very uncertain about this.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I wonder if I could find a good simple recipe for cranberries that makes them more snackable. They're for sale now, and even though I like eating them raw, they're too woody and intense to do so for an entire bag. And every recipe out there is for sauce, or condiments, or cocktails.

steam_sig.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I have left over turkey rub, which is basically a miso bomb of cumin and paprika.

I don't know what to do with it. I think it will keep in the fridge for a long time but I'd like to figure out something...and I just realized I should be covering chicken in it right now.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The phrase 'Cranberry tzatziki sauce' was just uttered in my office and I'm ... very uncertain about this.

somewhere in the world a crow just cawwed and a greek man dropped a shotglass of ouzo in shock at something he cannot explain

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

You know what, I'm cautiously optimistic. The sourness of cranberries might really add something to a gyro.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Stop putting fruit in tzatziki! It's already bad enough when you get a lot that's heavy on the cucumber.

Yes I just want garlic yogurt so what?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well it's going to be fun ot pay with quarters some groceries. I am going to use the self checkout since I don't think people want $20 in quarters

I wonder if I could find a good simple recipe for cranberries that makes them more snackable. They're for sale now, and even though I like eating them raw, they're too woody and intense to do so for an entire bag. And every recipe out there is for sauce, or condiments, or cocktails.

You can turn them into craisins!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    my bad food, low effort tuna salad is just tuna + yellow mustard + mayo.
    if I don't end up just draining and eating it right out of the can.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I get the tuna in pouches since they don't need draining, but I think they're more expensive in bulk. At least in grocery stores. Bulk ordered some from amazon last year to keep as my hurricane tuna.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Just go outside during the hurricane and snatch the tuna hurtling through the air.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I grew up eating Tuna salad made with McCormick mayo, which is a Mexican brand that has a hint of lime in it. We also add corn, onions and jalapenos.

Then mix it up with some Mexican rice and I got a lazy dinner for the week.

This statement immediately made my brain recall the flavour of McCormick mayo. My mom would have my grandmother bring a couple of jars of that with her when she would visit us in Canada, and then when my sister would go to Mexico, she'd bring back a bunch, too.

It's so ingrained in my memory because I grew up with that mayo instead of Hellman's or Miracle Whip. I probably haven't had it in over 10 years, but it's like I can taste it just by thinking about it. It has a subtler taste, but the lime adds a pleasant tang.

The only thing I really remember as a kid visiting my grandparents are Bimbo powdered donuts.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    duke's mayo or bust

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pigeons like the sound of my vmmffaakffm

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So can someone help me understand this?

Supposedly, "after purchase" raw, uncooked meat will be safe stored in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. Chicken is 1-2 days. This is from the FDA.

I bought a cut of filet mignon before I went on Thanksgiving vacation. It's probably 8-9 days old now, since I purchased it, and it has been sitting in my fridge for that long. Today is 12/2. The expiration date on the meat is 12/4.

Is it safe or not? Is there a difference between the store storing the meat until 12/4 and me storing it for that same amount of time in my refrigerator? Is it no longer good since I've been storing it in my fridge for 8-9 days even though we're not yet at the expiration date?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    IMO, should be fine, if it's still in the original packaging.

Commander Zoom on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It is.

Thanks.

The meat has gone brownish, but that’s normal.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was not fun to stand at the self checkout feeding the checkout quarters and dimes [I gave it $7 in dimes and 10 in quarters] Sadly I will have to go count out more just to get a few items
    It does suck living on my vet disability since I was using it as my bills/emergency money and it doesn't come for another 2 weeks :(

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I ate a pork chop that was sort of greenish once just cook it a lot also I am not liable for anything

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Does it smell bad? Is it grey or green? Is it slimy?

If none of these, it's probably fine*

*I'm not a food lawyer

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Deep Dish Pizza - The Cooking Show (12 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQCg8ivJ14

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So can someone help me understand this?

Supposedly, "after purchase" raw, uncooked meat will be safe stored in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. Chicken is 1-2 days. This is from the FDA.

I bought a cut of filet mignon before I went on Thanksgiving vacation. It's probably 8-9 days old now, since I purchased it, and it has been sitting in my fridge for that long. Today is 12/2. The expiration date on the meat is 12/4.

Is it safe or not? Is there a difference between the store storing the meat until 12/4 and me storing it for that same amount of time in my refrigerator? Is it no longer good since I've been storing it in my fridge for 8-9 days even though we're not yet at the expiration date?

A lot of expiration dates are pretty arbitrary and massively over-conservative (looking at you, yogurt), if the meat smells and looks fine then I wouldn't worry even if it's technically past its expiration date. Hell, most of the time even milk can go a day or three past its expiration date before it goes bad.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I’m still flabbergasted that some people consider canned tuna fit for human consumption at all.
    Raw or fresh cooked tuna is great, but canned is extremely off putting in both texture and aroma, and clearly a variety of cat food.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I’m still flabbergasted that some people consider canned tuna fit for human consumption at all.
    Raw or fresh cooked tuna is great, but canned is extremely off putting in both texture and aroma, and clearly a variety of cat food.

I never liked it but I learned to love tuna salad and tuna noodle casserole

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Canned tuna is delicious, you take that back right meow.

My youth group attended World Youth Day in Toronto (or as we called it, Popestock '02) and we ended up walking seven miles from the school we were sleeping in to the park where the Pope was gonna get his Pope on. Near the end there were trucks handing out food packets like famine relief, and I ended up with a can of tuna, six crackers, and a packet of mayonnaise. We'd left early that morning to mingle with the other youth and do confession and all that fun stuff, and so I hadn't eaten since my breakfast granola bar twelve hours earlier.

That goddamn can-fish still ranks among the most delicious meals I have ever eaten. I'll always have a soft spot for tuna.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.