As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Just do a 1/2 skull mission where you drop 400 tons of Lostech

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I’m going to be honest with something here.

I’m kinda tired now of the MW5 videos. The occasional mission run through with various mechs and loadouts? Okay, I’m cool with that, it’s rarely that long and sometimes we see something goofy showcased.

Trying to dig deep into weapons and lance setups for demo missions? Ehhhh we’re reaching here, especially since we’re not sure the AI is final or if getting the mechs will be that easy. Bonus if they cut other interesting content to do those videos.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I’m going to be honest with something here.

I’m kinda tired now of the MW5 videos. The occasional mission run through with various mechs and loadouts? Okay, I’m cool with that, it’s rarely that long and sometimes we see something goofy showcased.

Trying to dig deep into weapons and lance setups for demo missions? Ehhhh we’re reaching here, especially since we’re not sure the AI is final or if getting the mechs will be that easy. Bonus if they cut other interesting content to do those videos.

And let's get more honest here. This is PGI. This "demo" is probably the 1.0 final cut.

kx3klFE.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I would have preferred to see some better examples of how the strategy layer works. From the small things I've seen it's cribbing heavily from HBS, but I'd like extra details.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    With Heavy Metal, I'm going to have to make a cheat run with something like a Phoenix Hawk or whatever with a Coil-L and some double heatsinks from the start and see what shit I can wreck.

Be aware that for some stupid reason, Coil weapons only work with movement on the ground, not jumping. Yeah, apparently jumping is something other than "movement".

I dunno if it's supposed to be that way, but I think it makes so that something like a Cicada is actually the best bet for Coil weapons (I think the Cicada runs faster than the PH, but I'm not sure).

The coil weapons are dumb and were a poor implementation to make light mechs viable.

kx3klFE.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    With Heavy Metal, I'm going to have to make a cheat run with something like a Phoenix Hawk or whatever with a Coil-L and some double heatsinks from the start and see what shit I can wreck.

Be aware that for some stupid reason, Coil weapons only work with movement on the ground, not jumping. Yeah, apparently jumping is something other than "movement".

I dunno if it's supposed to be that way, but I think it makes so that something like a Cicada is actually the best bet for Coil weapons (I think the Cicada runs faster than the PH, but I'm not sure).

I'd say it's intentional. Jumping allows free facing change which makes back shots very easy, and removes the ground movement penalties from passing through forest for example. Which means you can also generate more evasion pips from jumping than running in most cases. By locking out jumping, it reduces the ability to do easy high damage back shots and keeps average damage a little lower to make COILs a little less overpowered.

Sprinting allows you to build even higher evasion pips, which means even more damage. While COILs do high damage, they probably didn't want damage outputs to reach so high for "balance".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

My mental gymnastics about them is that the charging system is hooked into the 'Mech's legs, sort of like an exercise bike driving a laser. So you don't get a charge off jumping because your 'Mech's legs aren't moving.

5gsowHm.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm mostly just irritated by the fact that the description says the damage is evasion pips times base damage and it isn't, it's the base level of evasion pips generated by ground movement before pilot bonuses times base damage.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

My mental gymnastics about them is that the charging system is hooked into the 'Mech's legs, sort of like an exercise bike driving a laser. So you don't get a charge off jumping because your 'Mech's legs aren't moving.

They say its someting akin to building a static charge, which you wouldn't do in the air. You see your mech's feet sparking as you move.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

If you really want a speed 8 mech, use Spider or Locust - Light mechs get 2 more avoidance than Mediums and have better initiative. I'd go with a speed 7 mech though, in which case the options are Cicada-3C (still bad), Assassin (it has a very nice perk for this kind of thing, you don't want to miss with your 50-heat facemelter gun) or Jenner (no perk but it's a Light so it has better avoidance and initiative).

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    That wounds bug is really fucking up my current career run. I prioritized other upgrades over the medbay because I was doing a lot of guts training due to having a laser heavy starting lance. I'll see something like 15 days in the post mission readout, only to find 23 days on the main screen. And it will be at least another month of in-game time before I can start building pod b and then the medical bay upgrade.

Dark_Side on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Cent #2: I just lost a high level pilot because a disarmed (literally) Maurader ran up and kicked him in the face. Straight death from a goddamn judo-kick (head destruction). That is bullshit.

That happened to me awhile back. I was so mad I quit that career run right on the spot.

I’ve quit missions before where things have gone ridiculously downhill because of events like enemies spawning right behind you, but when something like the above happens I usually keep it. Mainly because I’ve done it to other Mechs, so fair play.

Same. If I lose, I lose. But crap like a heavy lance spawning in the 3 squares behind me and the edge of the map, etc - nope.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Re: MW5 videos. I haven't watched a single one. I want to go into the game raw.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There's a new Tex Talks Battletech featuring Battletech's favorite starter mech: The Blackjack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRe0UhgLKiE

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Just finished my first Flashpoint! Yay! It was for rare items. The Cappies, they uh....they delivered:

Arm Mod+ (Stability Damage) [Rare]
    2(!) parts of a Banshee (the model with 8E/6S hardpoints)
    SRM-6++
    AC/2++
    LRM-20++
    Leg Mod

O_O

Holy Crap!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    Just finished my first Flashpoint! Yay! It was for rare items. The Cappies, they uh....they delivered:

Arm Mod+ (Stability Damage) [Rare]
    2(!) parts of a Banshee (the model with 8E/6S hardpoints)
    SRM-6++
    AC/2++
    LRM-20++
    Leg Mod

O_O

Holy Crap!

I just did a rare parts Flashpoint last night too!
    URM-60... :(

But on the upside I was smart and chose full salvage. Managed to take out both side torsos, knock down and pop a couple missiles into the head of an OPFOR Annihilator. So I got all 3 salvage pieces of that from pilot death. And I managed to get the last pieces of a Rifleman as well. So that was nice.

Also finally got a Marauder kitted out. Between that guy and the Annihilator, I'm a head capping machine. Punched in the cockpit of a Highlander first mission out with the marauder, but only had 1 salvage. :(
    The annihilator caps fools from just sheer numbers of ac10s that do 74+ damage each. Combine that with a tag and it's even more. Cover and bulwark are the only things that can save the enemy now.

kx3klFE.png
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I never got deeply into the career until after heavy metal dropped it has been excellent, i am truly enjoying myself.

steam_sig.png
    That Flashpoint I ran was genuinely fun. It ended with me + a Cappie lance pouncing on a Taurian lance that was about to pile in on a Davion lance. So much furball!

And so much Urbie on Urbie violence! There were no fewer than three different Urbie variants in that battle (AC/10, AC/20(!), PPC), all on different sides. That little bastard with the 20 was terrifying, I'm just glad it never shot at my guys.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah the FP with the fighting tournament was actually fun. All identical Urbies trying to take each other out.

Then I got to get a bit strategic against the last dude.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    How are you guys building your marauders? I tried the mortar for the first time last night but it didn’t seem to do much to the two mediums I fired it at. Should I pull it off and add more guns?

Also, where the hell do I find rail gun ammo? I’ve seen the guns for sale but zero actual ammo.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

Mugsley wrote: »
    Yeah the FP with the fighting tournament was actually fun. All identical Urbies trying to take each other out.

Then I got to get a bit strategic against the last dude.

I started up (inadvertently b/c I didn't know it was) the Hatchetmen Flashpoint. Oof. I lost a Vindicator at the end of the first mission to a last-minute dumb mistake, so my lance for defending the base in mission 2 is the H-man, my COIL-M Vulcan with a smidge of internal damage, a Panther, and an AC/5+LL Blackjack.
    I'm not fond of my odds here, but I've been fighting uphill all the time recently anyway, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edited December 2019
    How are you guys building your marauders? I tried the mortar for the first time last night but it didn’t seem to do much to the two mediums I fired it at. Should I pull it off and add more guns?

Don't put a mortar in a Marauder, that's a colossal waste. The perk it gets + tactics 9 means 35% chance to hit the head so using weapons that can take the head off in one go (AC20, UAC20, AC10++, Gauss Rifle, ER PPC++) are good as are weapons that can take the head off in two hits (AC5, UAC5, UAC2++, ER ML, ML++, ER SL++ etc, basically anything that does 35+ damage). I have two UAC5s and two 40 damage ER MLs in mine and while it runs a bit hot it works pretty well and has very nice range. Tried it with an UAC20++ earlier but that gun has some serious recoil issues and short range so I didn't like it as much.

If you want to use a Mortar put it in some slow assault that has bazillion tons of free space. It's not that great against two targets usually but I've managed to hit 5 mechs with it once and that's just tons of fun. Also it is very good at finishing mechs that have a few hp left in their CT while doing nice damage to any other targets in the area. Sadly it doesn't seem to hit the head at all, though.

Mirkel on
    The Marauder +called shot bonus is bonkers.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

Also, where the hell do I find rail gun ammo? I’ve seen the guns for sale but zero actual ammo.

I loaded up mine with a UAC10 and 4 ML.

kx3klFE.png
    Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to trying some ac builds. For some reason I thought only the marauder could fit a mortar.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So, I notiiced I had a Highlander I was never using, and that it had 4 missile pods, and that I only really had one missile boat, a C4 Catapult.

So, now I'm faced with the question, how many missiles is too many missiles, realistically speaking?
    20191203212002_1.jpg

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »
    So, I notiiced I had a Highlander I was never using, and that it had 4 missile pods, and that I only really had one missile boat, a C4 Catapult.

So, now I'm faced with the question, how many missiles is too many missiles, realistically speaking?
    20191203212002_1.jpg

I know it's a missile boat and probably won't be under fire all that often, but you still might want to put all that ammo in the legs (for this mech and for all other mechs, really). Ammo in CT is especially tempting fate.

I’ve had the AI spawn close to my lrm boats and rip them apart on more than one occasion.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I might see about that.

Also, so that mission was tougher than it looked like. An Assassinate mission, three and a half skulls, went in. Eight enemies: Commando, Wolverine, Zeus, Marauder, Quickdraw, Orion, Thunderbolt, and the target in an Atlas.

I made it out pretty well, though, since the enemies, instead of just spawning next to me, actually had to walk to me, so I had time to engage. End result:
    1nf9Cvm.jpg

And, importantly, my third called shot to the head of the Atlas actually got a headshot, so I have an Atlas now!

Steam ID: Right here.

20191203212002_1.jpg

This fella is the best missile boat in the game - 4x missile hardpoints spread across enough critical space to use them however you want, and a dead side to present any OpFor who get through your frontliners and take an adverse interest in your LRM boat. <3

Congrats on the Atlas!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

20191203212002_1.jpg

Eeh... Looks a little light on LRMS. May want to add some more.

kx3klFE.png
    This career is getting old now that I'm flooded with assaults. Time to start fresh! Hard mode. lets see how this goes. The difficulty multiplier stops at 1. :(

by9OMVo.jpg

kx3klFE.png
    Ironman, Hydro?

I never took you for a fool, sir.

edited December 2019
    Ironman, Hydro?

Is there any other way to play?

Also... hard mode can be tricky. Got mauled by a Wolverine, Hunchback 4G (who only needed to land 1 round to screw over my Centurion), Bulldog AND A DAMN LRM CARRIER.

2 skull mission. Contract #3...
    very slow XP is a killer. Should have set perma death for pilots on incapacitation, slow XP, and made high level pilots normal.

h2UOQjX.jpg

i am currently down to my last 25,000 cbills as i scramble back to a half skull planet. the 1 skull planet lied! nothing but 2-3 skull contracts there.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Ironman, Hydro?

There is! It's called "Don't trust any game with an Ironman mode built in because it will inevitably fuck you" also known as the "Don't click that button!" game.
    Also... hard mode can be tricky. Got mauled by a Wolverine, Hunchback 4G (who only needed to land 1 round to screw over my Centurion) and a Bulldog.

h2UOQjX.jpg

Eeeeuuuuuch. Gross.

Ironman, Hydro?

There is! It's called "Don't trust any game with an Ironman mode built in because it will inevitably fuck you" also known as the "Don't click that button!" game.

Eeeeuuuuuch. Gross.

Eeh. This is iron man campaign number 3, havent had any issues yet. Or on any other Paradox iron man game.
    it keeps me honest. otherwise im tempted to save scum.

kx3klFE.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I just got two gauss rifles from a Flashpoint so I tried to put them both on but I only had room for 1 ton of ammo even with the armor stripped down a fair bit so I took one out and put in a PPC and LL.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I just got two gauss rifles from a Flashpoint so I tried to put them both on but I only had room for 1 ton of ammo even with the armor stripped down a fair bit so I took one out and put in a PPC and LL.

Look for a Gauss Rifle ++ (or +) with -tons.

My Marauder is just 2 Gauss (one is ++, the other standard) with 2 tons of ammo and about 2/3 armour.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ironman, Hydro?

Eeeeuuuuuch. Gross.

Eeh. This is iron man campaign number 3, havent had any issues yet. Or on any other Paradox iron man game.
    it keeps me honest. otherwise im tempted to save scum.

I almost exclusively play Ironman myself. I scummed so bad before that I think I'm actually enjoying the game more now. The only downside is you have to really be careful about when and how you punch up in difficulty and often it means I spend more time on low tier planets.

Dark_Side on