As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    We have The Dumbest Boy Alive 2: Decade Boogaloo:

For those unfamiliar with the original and/or haven't seen the excellent Jon Bois video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Stabbity_Style.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    We have The Dumbest Boy Alive 2: Decade Boogaloo:

For those unfamiliar with the original and/or haven't seen the excellent Jon Bois video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Oh my god that video hurt my brain. I stopped listening about 6 minutes in, so maybe the one whose turn with the brain cell it was showed up, but what I saw was three different people making different mistakes and not only can nobody admit they're wrong, nobody seems to be right anyway.

The whole 0-year thing at least makes some pedantic sense*. This argument, though... It doesn't matter where you start counting your week, there's still 7 days, and every other day means 3 days one week, 4 the next, alternating thusly.

*-There is no year 0, so the first 100 years of the Common Era ended at the END of 100, not the beginning. However, historians define centuries, decades, and millennia a little differently than just their exact distance from 1 CE They are correctly defined by their leading digits, and the First Decade/Century/Millennium got shorted a year. This does a few things: First and most importantly, it makes naming periods easier (1990 is part of The 1990's and not The 1980's and all of the 19xx decades fit cleanly inside the 20th Century). Secondly, because the calendar was created and backdated in the 700's, it just blatantly ignores the fact that the BCE/CE transition is fuzzy and poorly pinned down, so as our understanding of history around that time has ebbed and flowed by a good fifty years either way, we stubbornly leave the centuries where they are (this is also a bigger reason than xenocentrism for the change from BC/AD). Thirdly, they wanted to put this fucking argument to sleep before the internet had it every ten damn years for eternity.

Hevach on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Oh my god that video hurt my brain. I stopped listening about 6 minutes in, so maybe the one whose turn with the brain cell it was showed up, but what I saw was three different people making different mistakes and not only can nobody admit they're wrong, nobody seems to be right anyway.

You should go finish it because it gets real good around 7 minutes in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    It's the end of an era, the end of an age

Or so we thought. Human stupidity, as it turns out, is eternal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VokezIMLKE

At least that particular idiot has been denied the means to shut down three roads and tie up a small fleet of extraction vehicles for hours. That scrape won't even hit the deductible.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Good symbol of the uselessness of road infrastructure tho

Still doesn't work even when fixed ayy

icGJy2C.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I don't know, I mean the truck is still driving rather than snarling traffic up for hours on end.
    And the sign was pretty clearly saying "You're too tall, you need to turn".

I guess, at the end of the day, you can fix the road all you want, but fixing stupid is infinitely harder.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There have been cases of people driving double-decker buses throughinto the tunnels under railway bridges that are clearly too low for them. Like, not close enough to take the roof off, but the entire top deck.

That was mild by comparison.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I don't know, I mean the truck is still driving rather than snarling traffic up for hours on end.
    And the sign was pretty clearly saying "You're too tall, you need to turn".

I guess, at the end of the day, you can fix the road all you want, but fixing stupid is infinitely harder.

One of my favourite quotes of all time is by Rick Cook:
    “Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.”

I think it's applicable to basically any kind of engineering, whether it's software, or building bridges.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I dunno the train bridges seem like centuries old infrastructure and it was working perfectly until trucks kept getting bigger and bigger and started slamming into it since cars are personal transportation controlled by individuals it only takes one idiot to stop the whole road

It is a failure of road infrastructure and kinda a funny example of how bad it is cause as I said they modified it and it can still fail easily, its also a bit of a stretch but also a microcosm of well car culture

I find it depressingly funny I guess

icGJy2C.png
    Before the fix that truck would have still hit because he was ignoring the signal anyway, so I doubt all the same signals would have stopped him.

Except then he would have peeled the whole roof off and gotten stuck, requiring at least one heavy recovery vehicle and closing both the underpass and at least one of the adjacent roads.

This way he did some cosmetic damage and took a corner bit off, inconveniencing only the poor guy who eventually destroys a tire going over the bit that came off.

Solutions don't need to be perfect to work. One of the excuses eternally offered for not fixing the bridge years ago was that it would be almost impossible and cost millions to raise it to standard height, so why bother. But for a fraction of that they raised it half way to standard and this is the only hit so far since.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A PSA from Thanos: perineum sunburns tain't no laughing matter (Potentially NSFW due to image of "sunning" individual):
    Tried this perineum sunning that I’ve been hearing about and my suggestion is DO NOT do it as long as I did. My pucker hole is crazy burned and I was going to spend the day shopping with my family and instead I’m icing and using aloe and burn creams because of the severity of the pain. I don’t know who the fuck thought of this stupid shit but fuck you nonetheless. Seriously. #blackholefriday #blackholesun #severeperineumburns #santamonicafiredepartment #assholecare

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm clenching up just reading that excerpt.

steam_sig.png

It definitely has pucker factor.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It definitely has pucker factor.

Clearly not as good as it was cracked up to be.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Skin that doesn't get regularly exposed to sun regularly will sunburn way faster than you expect and long before the tougher skin on your arms or legs.

Sphincter.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Where is the gone right?!?!?!?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So somebody heard the phrase "Where the sun doesn't shine" and thought "Well I'll show you!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure like a week ago somebody on a podcast or something said "five minutes of sunshine on your butthole is equivalent to an hour of tanning" as an example of a derangedly untrue and stupid thing to say so I guess whoever said that is semi responsible for an idiots scorched butthole

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

We get to make a bunch of shitty puns.

steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

A fantastic Soundgarden hashtag.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    ☀️🍩

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Taint what you do it’s the way that you do it

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to imagine how someone would burn their perineum. The perineum, colloquially known as the taint, is the space between the anus and scrotum. To get sun on that, he would have to do some yoga pose or something.

Nobeard wrote: »
    So I'm trying to imagine how someone would burn their perineum. The perineum, colloquially known as the taint, is the space between the anus and scrotum. To get sun on that, he would have to do some yoga pose or something.

The article has a potentially NSFW image that illustrates exactly how you do it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's goatse. Somebody has turned goatse into a medical fad. Just let that bit of fucked up trivia sink in.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think one of the Jackass guys started it.
    If "uncritically following patently idiotic health fads" is the way our species goes out, we probably deserve it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I think one of the Jackass guys started it.
    If "uncritically following patently idiotic health fads" is the way our species goes out, we probably deserve it.

Natural selection just looks weird in more intelligent species, ok?

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I just realized that sunburn is going to peel and*hork*

Nobeard on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I just realized that sunburn is going to peel and*hork*

(Spoiled to avoid loss lunch and insanity)
    Hopefully it doesn't blister too.

steam_sig.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hope they ate really spicy food as well that same day

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Sometimes, the solution is a problem in of itself:
    According to the Russian government-funded news site RT, the incident took place in the Russian city of Samara, about 660 miles east of Moscow. The man was driving a BMW X6 when smoke began pouring out from under the hood. At some point he enlists help from the driver of the septic truck, who positions a hose to douse the red-hot hood and, later, the exposed engine bay itself, in a torrent of thick, disgusting sludge. Imagine the smell! (Or better yet, don’t.)

There were apparently no injuries, but the fate of the burned and feces-coated X6 is unclear. Video of the incident had around 43,000 shares on Facebook alone, and nearly 7,000 comments. Many of them on the news feed of one user who shared it were variations on questioning why the man didn’t just let the car burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7ejq03Qm4

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    According to the Russian government-funded news site RT, the incident took place in the Russian city of Samara, about 660 miles east of Moscow. The man was driving a BMW X6 when smoke began pouring out from under the hood. At some point he enlists help from the driver of the septic truck, who positions a hose to douse the red-hot hood and, later, the exposed engine bay itself, in a torrent of thick, disgusting sludge. Imagine the smell! (Or better yet, don’t.)

There were apparently no injuries, but the fate of the burned and feces-coated X6 is unclear. Video of the incident had around 43,000 shares on Facebook alone, and nearly 7,000 comments. Many of them on the news feed of one user who shared it were variations on questioning why the man didn’t just let the car burn.

Really looking for the gone right in this one. I actually build those things (X6 not septic truck) and while the odds are pretty high a Russian asshole was driving it that is pretty shitty. I guess the thing didn't actually catch on fire is the gone right.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    furlion wrote: »

Really looking for the gone right in this one. I actually build those things (X6 not septic truck) and while the odds are pretty high a Russian asshole was driving it that is pretty shitty. I guess the thing didn't actually catch on fire is the gone right.

You can say that again!

maraji on
    Australia - Even The Seaweed Wants You Dead:
    A woman running on a Gold Coast beach has been rescued after becoming stuck in masses of cornflake seaweed that has piled up thigh-deep in places.

A seaweed expert, Pia Winberg, said the bloom of Colpomenia – also known as sea potatoes, oyster thief or cornflake seaweed – was not unusual for this time of year.

But its scale, the marine biologist said, was unprecedented. “We have not seen bigger blooms than the one you’ve got on the Gold Coast at the moment,” she said.

Videos posted on social media on Wednesday showed tourists, locals and an excited dog playing in the seaweed.

A passerby came to the aid of one local runner after she became stuck in thick seaweed that had washed up at Palm Beach.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Seriously, where's the gone right? The massive seaweed blooms around the world including the Sargassum belt that stretches across the entire Atlantic are signs of screwed up oceanic chemistries (the super-high and growing levels of CO2 for starters). It's another snowpile in the growing avalanche of our total biosphere collapse via climate catastrophe.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    She didn't die in a clump of seaweed?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Seriously, where's the gone right? The massive seaweed blooms around the world including the Sargassum belt that stretches across the entire Atlantic are signs of screwed up oceanic chemistries (the super-high and growing levels of CO2 for starters). It's another snowpile in the growing avalanche of our total biosphere collapse via climate catastrophe.

I may have an answer, but it depends on a question: Is this type of seaweed edible?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I may have an answer, but it depends on a question: Is this type of seaweed edible?

If not the people trapped in it are, so it's win-win.

Generally no. Most climate change related blooms (algae, plankton, jellyfish, whatever) are nasty stuff that's normally kept under control because more complex life easily outcompetes it for resources, but that more complex life requires a better balance of inputs, where the nasty stuff can thrive with a couple otherwise key nutrients missing or in oxygen starved water or in extreme temperatures.

A very simplified example is what happens in a planted aquarium. Add all the nutrients but don't add a carbon source and the plants do poorly but all kinds of damaging algae takes over because it doesn't require as much CO2 or can utilize unusual carbon sources. However, keep a plant-available carbon source and the plants thrive and deplete the other nutrients faster than algae can grow. It's less about excess and more about imbalance.

This discussion has been closed.