As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sig character counter wrong

asjpaoapv102.png

Uhh.... I don't think that's right, and I don't know why.

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Im also having this problem. Im trying to update my signature which is 135 characters but the page is saying its 66 characters too long

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Having the same issue here trying to update my sig image (with identical character count).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I've run into this too. In some cases, adding characters decreases the number of characters the editor thinks I have.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So the actual limit when I just tried again worked out to 110 characters instead of 180. I could change my sig as long as I kept it under that. At 111, it said it was 1 character too long.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    then why does my 135 character signature say 66 characters too long? Wouldnt that mean it can only be 69 characters long?
    EDIT: I tried seeing what the actual longest it would allow is and for me its 97 characters. That's almost half what it's supposed to be.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm getting this issue too. The character count seems to be at 0 as editing my 90 character sig to 89 characters gives an error that it's 89 characters too long. Tried it on Firefox and Chrome, from two different PCs.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Today's new Photobucket bandwidth limits ran me into this issue head-first.

• Options
    Is this ever going to be fixed? :(

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    New PAX coming up and we can't seem to update our badge sigs because of this.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This is an issue for me now too.

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Three months and counting. Not sure whose attention needs to be on this. @Tube ?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah I ran into this issue when I went to try and see if I could fix my signature after the image issues borked it, but I can't change anything because it says I'm over the character limit.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Same here. Went to update my pax badges in my sig, and over limit.

I'm at 164 characters, and it says its 130 over the limit! I'm only allowed a 34 character sig now? q.q

edit: removed most of my signature but was able to get away with the one image link still in without it cutting me off. Still, broken counter is broken :(

elo on
    0j92muX.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Man, this is obnoxious as shit.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Just for the record, I posted about a similar issue back in 2017

Note that it still doesn't completely help, but there are some interesting points to be made:

Namely, that if you were from the Old Forums where we didn't have signature limits (or we had a more generous one) you have been granted a longer signature than normal

Also, apparently the forum artificially counts line breaks as multiple characters to discourage large signatures

I think this still doesn't address the problem, because I just went to shorten it to under 180 characters and got this error message

7hOlb9pl.png

For reference the text in the signature box is 160 characters without spaces, and 183 characters with spaces.

Neither number, you'll note, is close to 542, which is what the signature would be if it was "362 characters too long"

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I was gonna switch my avatar to a different Lego shield for the holiday hangout (the forest men had a stag on a green field, so add a red nose in MS paint, and you've got Rudolph), but it wouldn't let me update my sig to point to the appropriate brickipedia article.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Running into this problem too

if I type 180 single characters, it allows it, but a far far shorter sig (an image within the limits which is also a clickable link) says I'm 14 characters over.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Finally noticed this myself, trying to switch back to alabasterslim's Steam signatures. Even with everything else removed, just the code for it was somehow 61 characters too long, despite being only 131 characters.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    it'll get fixed when it gets fixed

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Looks like this might be fixed?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Looks like it works to me!
    Thanks!