As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Got caught up on Succession over the holiday break

It's fine, but I genuinely wonder if the "it's the best show ever" critics... Watch reality TV ever? Like, the season finale is effectively an episode of Survivor. Any other given episode is functionally an episode of Real Housewives.

Again, the show's fine. And its portrayal of mega-rich people as being utterly disinterested in their incredibly expensive luxuries is novel/accurate. But the praise lobbed at it seems... Miscalibrated.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Got 4 eps into Stumptown last night. I like it so far. The haunted mix tape probably has more music already than can fit on one cassette, but I hope they never explain it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got tickets to the MST3K Live tour that is actually coming to my city in February. I was very tempted to blow a ton of money for the VIP level to meet Joel but I need that money. :( If I did that I'd need to figure out if I could bring my Tom Servo for him to sign.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    First trailer for Awkwafina's new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iftQNDmcetY

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Got caught up on Succession over the holiday break

It's fine, but I genuinely wonder if the "it's the best show ever" critics... Watch reality TV ever? Like, the season finale is effectively an episode of Survivor. Any other given episode is functionally an episode of Real Housewives.

Again, the show's fine. And its portrayal of mega-rich people as being utterly disinterested in their incredibly expensive luxuries is novel/accurate. But the praise lobbed at it seems... Miscalibrated.

I sort of suspect all the storylines about misinformed rich people and corporations fucking around in the lives of journalists and tampering with media companies has...sorta struck abnormally close to home with the type of folks that write TV criticism

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this season of superstore continues to suck

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've not been a huge fan of it. Amy has been especially aggravating.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not going to say it sucks, except for the episode with Fred Armisen, but it has definitely been weak compared to other seasons.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I mean... No. But I guess he's better than Simon Cowell?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I mean later in the exact same article he says Jay Leno is right to joke about Koreans eating dogs and Union should criticize Korea for it and leave Leno alone

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

WHAT A HIGH BAR TO REACH!

"I've got syphilis..."

"At least it's not Ebola!"

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

you have to get up pretty early in the morning and work hard to be shittier that simon cowell by all accounts.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    That's exactly my point!

• Options
    That's exactly my point!

YOU'RE EXACTLY MY POINT!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    kvx7bjr7rbvt.jpg

Evergreen.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The worst person I know is me and I havent made a good point in decades

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    The worst person I know is me and I havent made a good point in decades

Hmm, that’s a good point

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I vaguely remember Howard Stern going on a metaphorical journey of self-discovery that resulted in him acknowledging that he'd said and done some shitty things, so this isn't totally out of left field

but I may also be remembering something that never happened

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Stern is definitely more bad than good, but unlike Cowell, there is at least some good in there.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    No one is 100% a dick.

Lotta people tryin' to platinum, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    No one is 100% a dick.

Lotta people tryin' to platinum, though.

I don't know. I can think of a few people

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Episode 6 of Stumptown: I worry that too much drama centric TV has made me overly cynical. I spent the entire C plot waiting for something bad to happen. Was he lying about the mole to get on her good side? Were the eggrolls actually bad? No, it was just a successful food based friendship the whole way through.

Also have I missed the Ansel Adams joke yet? I've kept my ears open for it, but sometimes worry I don't know enough about art to catch it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just finished season 3 of Stranger Things

They're really doing another season?

Because that felt like an end.

• Options
    Well... Nevermind about that I missed the end credits scene... That opens it back up.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seasons 2 and 3 of Stranger Things both ended in pretty good places for me. A good balance of I'd appreciate another season, but if Netflix arbitrarily cancels it there's a satisfying ending there.

Ending it after Season 1 would have been an actual crime, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Finished up the third season of Sneaky Pete

Good show

The first season is probably still the best, but it's all fun

I wish it could have had more Ricky Jay in it

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Stranger Things crew has been pretty consistent in the past with their "we have plans for four seasons, and if things change and we do more, we won't overstay our welcome and do too much more" stance. There's this season for sure, there might be another season. It's like OITNB, those creators also were adamant that they had a story to tell, with a start point and an end point, and they didn't want or need a decade to tell it

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My wife has started watching The Crown

We all like to make our jokes about how Sean Bean loves to bite the dust, but when are we as a society gonna acknowledge that Jared Harris is deeply addicted to playing doomed men

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finally started S2 of Final Space.

I'm delighted that Ron Funches and Ashly Burch are in the show!

I'm not delighted that
    KVN managed to inexplicably survive. I can barely tolerate Fred Armisen cameos, please don't perpetuate this.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

We all like to make our jokes about how Sean Bean loves to bite the dust, but when are we as a society gonna acknowledge that Jared Harris is deeply addicted to playing doomed men

Rewatching Mad Men and right after that episode also starting with Chernobyl was a little bit funny (for a second).
    Finally started S2 of Final Space.

I'm delighted that Ron Funches and Ashly Burch are in the show!

I'm not delighted that
    KVN managed to inexplicably survive. I can barely tolerate Fred Armisen cameos, please don't perpetuate this.

Hmmm, it's not available here yet. Weird, I thought that was a Netflix show?
    Anyway, too bad about the spoiler. That's the worst part of the show.

honovere on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That character does develop a little if it helps.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yes, I am ready

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha, I was gonna tag you and then thought better of it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am willing to believe in a world where that is good but I am braced to be hurt

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Yeah, I have my doubts about that being good, but who fucking knows. I'd like it to be good for sure!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Who the hell would have expected a Watchmen sequel to be one of the best TV shows of the year, though? We're in uncharted territory here.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it isn't a very good comic, so i am not surprised the tv show is good

there is something about not very good comics that make pretty good tv shows

the walking dead is the exception that proves the rule in this case

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I watched Chernobyl and upon finishing it immediately started The Terror without knowing he was in it

So yes I agree

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.