As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Taken Space Cakes, Bakin' Taken Space Cakes

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Okay, so, a lot of PVP today. I've been testing 2 loadouts: Ace of Spades / Twilight Oath VS Not Forgotten / Tranquility.

Objectively, it seems like Ace/Twilight should be the better loadout, and everyone keeps telling me it is. Ace has better range, a better perk for doing damage, and it keeps the radar up, and Twilight fires faster, has more aim assist, and better handling.

But there's just something about how Not Forgotten and Tranquility feel. I just routinely do better with them, and since I wanted to nerd out over actual numbers I averaged out 15 matches with each loadout, and with NF/Tranquility I average 4.1 efficiency and 32 k+a. With Ace/Twilight it's 3.9 and 24.

I generally feel 100% confident in any 1v1 matchup with either hand cannon, but as soon as I'm at 1v2, I feel like Ace just doesn't cut it for some reason. I feel more accurate (and faster) with NF. I also find myself hard scoping lanes too much with Ace because of the radar, which doesn't usually get me killed, but it slows down my pacing a lot.

I also find myself hitting quick flick shots way more often with Tranquility, despite lower aim assist. I do have a target acquisition mod on it, but the internet seems to claim it actually does nothing.

Does your Tranquility have opening shot? Because I can see that as being a massive help to flick-shots, the aim assist that perk adds is kind of crazy (see hip fire+opening shot on snipers)

The other benefit of running tranq+nf over ace is having your exotic open for heavies, unless you don’t care for using wardcliff or the like.

Yeah, my Tranquility has No Distractions and Opening Shot. I didn't realize opening shot impacted the aim assist that much, but I guess that makes sense.

That's what makes that roll so good. They both work to make landing that first shot super consistent.

Opening Shot in general is great on any weapons you are trying to either one-shot or finish-off someone with.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    So the Season of the Dawn stream is this Wednesday, right?
    I'm putting it about 70/30 to be about either Osiris and timeline shenanigans, or finally breaking the curse of the Dreaming City.

The second one still seems rather difficult to manage without fully instanced content, but it would be nice to finally revisit it, and Dawn/"Fix the Timeline" gives me enough hope to speculate.

(it's gonna be about helping Brother Vance save Osiris, isn't it…..)

My assumption is that something about us murdering the Undying Mind a bunch with that gate and/or us killing the Vex in the Black Garden sets off something nasty with timeline-related shenanigans and we need to fix it.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Is the nasty timeline issue the Brother Vance on Mercury? Is the real Brother Vance still stranded at the Vestian Outpost?

What better way to bring back Trials than flying back to the Vestian Outpost to talk with Vance. Yep.

Oh God, the Undying Mind is the Guardian's parent and you need to fix the timeline before you erase yourself this sparrow has to hit 88 miles per hour new exotic perk.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i'm guessing that we'll get something in game that will set up or hint at what Dawn is about and the stream is on Wednesday to give folks time to experience it before they give the full details.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    As long as its not a bunch of nothing like the Undying Mind was.

Curious about Air Superiority spec, always wanted to toy more with Wings of a Sacred Dawn, outside of it making you nearly invincible during Festival of the Lost, it doesnt get much use.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Still chipping away at that last Iron Banner bounty. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it tonight. Only moved up by 7%. Given that I only have a few hours of free time on a "school night" and I'm gaining a few % per game, it's extremely unlikely to work out for me. Oh well, 3 out of 4 isn't terrible.

26904.png
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    A very good chunk of the 300 hours I've put into the game since Shadowkeep has been PVP. All types. Comp, regular, Iron Banner. In several hundred matches, I can only think of one time when I was even remotely suspicious that a guy was cheating.

Sample size and all that, but I have to think if hackers were a crippling problem on PC, I would have seen more than (maybe) one in the last couple of months.

I did get a message tonight accusing ME of cheating, though, so take that as you will.

Yeah, I have played a not-small amount of PvP Destiny on PC and I can't think of a time off the top of my head that I've seen any obvious cheating or botting or DDOSing or whatever. Like, it happens. I've seen the evidence. But the idea that it's a scourge of the Destiny PC PvP scene for your average player is just massively massively overstated.

I would suspect a lot of it is confined to things like comp or high-level comp.

Actually, all of it I've seen is just crucible 6v6 playlist. I don't recall seeing a single person in any of my comp play cheating. But in crucible it's prevalent, at least in my matchups. I must have the worst matchmaking in the world I guess. Because apparently I'm seeing ghosts out there. I honestly don't know how you guys aren't seeing it, I kept track a few nights ago when I was playing and out of 20 matches almost half of them had hacks in them. These aren't "oh, that guy is good he must be hacking", this is "the match literally just started and he warps to our spawn with a shotgun, or he's flying 100 feet in the air shooting, or he warping 20-30 feet at a time when he's being shot at, all while emoting." I had one game that had a 3 man party of them in it.

I got so tired of reporting I just logged out. I must have reported a dozen people or more one night. It's depressing. These were guys with level 1 or 2 steam accounts with names like "crymore" when they are in english, but most of them are Chinese and Korean.

So I'm happy for you guys that are somehow avoiding these guys. But they are definitely out there and it's way worse now than it was before it went F2P and to Steam. I think in a couple years of pvp pre-steam I saw only handful.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah can’t say I’ve ever seen hacking actually in the game.

The ELO brackets are real though. I basically sit between regular folks and then undying folks.

I’ll win 10 games and be a super star, then get bumped up and lose 10 in a row, which brings me back down.

I’ve had games where I haven’t actually died and get 30+ kills and then some where I die 20 times and get like 2 kills.

It’s a very odd jump, I think it’s made worse by the fact that it’s not just a skill difference between the brackets but everyone has the perfect meta item set and the best possible mods.

When I started comp I was in the higher tier bracket and I must of lost 10 straight, then got bumped and won 6 in a row, lost 1, then won another 4 and got my recluse.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It is weird to be in a bracket where you start seeing the same handful of people in matches every day.

Maybe at different tiers you run into hackers more. I definitely am not saying it doesn't happen -- I know it does. I've just rarely seen it, and neither of my co-workers who play regularly (moreso in regular non-comp) have ever seen a single hacker.

It sucks you've run into it so often. I know that's super frustrating. Hopefully it's just a bad string of matches for you lately and it'll pass.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm barreling into the last week of this season at lvl 85, I think I'm going to make it!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I can't remember the name, but the crucible dropped an energy pulse rifle on me the other day that I got some work done with in in later matches. Consistently slaughtered people.
    So it looks like I won't be getting the shiny vex gear from the season pass and I don't want to pay to artificially skip levels to get it, so womp womp. Hopefully the new season will have some decently pretty gear to work towards. Did unlock tlw and working on thorn right now, so finding fun things to do.
    this current season/systems stuff appeals to me more now than it did around forsaken era. I find needing the cores to upgrade a little annoying still, but the system's been softened enough that it's not really a big deal. Kind of feel like I should wait until I hit 950 or so to really worry about it though.

soylenth on
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    tfw you feel like you're barely scraping by at SR 199

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Ohhh boy comp is hard during iron banner weeks. I was so annoyed when I heard we were doing a third this season.

My crew played our asses off to go 5-6 and lose like 100. We managed to pull two big upsets where destiny tracker has us at 20 and 13% to win.

Destiny tracker gave us 0% chance to win one. They weren’t wrong on that one.

Sucks to win the games you’re supposed to, pull some upsets and still come out negative.
    Same exact thing happened to us. One of the guys we played against had over 100,000 kills on just his Erentil's. I am not exaggerating.
    He had over 400,000 kills personally and Destiny Tracker had him pegged as #1 for kills and #2 for assists. It was nuts.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'd expect that any person hacking the game that doesn't want to be easily reported would try to be a bit more low key and just use headshot or wall hacks, which are quite a bit more difficult to spot since there are people that are just legitimately that good.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I'd expect that any person hacking the game that doesn't want to be easily reported would try to be a bit more low key and just use headshot or wall hacks, which are quite a bit more difficult to spot since there are people that are just legitimately that good.

Yeah, this is the exact situation that has gotten me accused of cheating a couple of times - nightstalker wallhacking sniping. It's just doable enough in game that some people probably could be cheating subtly without getting noticed too much. I guess if I've run into it, it's been low key enough not to tip me off, and they definitely weren't dominating matches.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I would imagine the vast majority of players you encounter are really "just that good" but it doesn't mean there aren't cheaters or exploiters out there. Not common but they exist. I would say I've encountered a few people I assumed were using KB/M on console just because of their laser like aim, but they could easily just be human aimbots. The real crime at work is the matchmaker just tossing people together who have no business being in the same game. And yeah it's compounded on weeks where there's IB. I'm similarly worried about what'll happen to Comp once Trials returns, but mostly because I just want to get Unbroken title done next season...

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    It is weird to be in a bracket where you start seeing the same handful of people in matches every day.
    Is it? I mean admittedly I'm in a pretty "special" bracket (i.e. the worst of the worst) but I routinely see the same few dozen names day after day. I know which ones will beat me most times in a duel and which ones I can get kills off of easily. After three days of IB games with the same bunch of people, I was actually able to predict two matches (out of seven) going to the Mercy rule just from the starting picture. Isn't that how it is for everyone?

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    Is it? I mean admittedly I'm in a pretty "special" bracket (i.e. the worst of the worst) but I routinely see the same few dozen names day after day. I know which ones will beat me most times in a duel and which ones I can get kills off of easily. After three days of IB games with the same bunch of people, I was actually able to predict two matches (out of seven) going to the Mercy rule just from the starting picture. Isn't that how it is for everyone?

My experience has been that it narrowed as I went up in rank. Early on I rarely saw the same people from one day to the next, but at 5000-5500 glory, I feel like I'm literally playing the same 20 or 30 people nearly 100% of the time.

I'm not complaining. I still get matches quickly, and they're all good players who seem incredibly well matched -- I can win just over half the time, and it's almost always a great game.

I've noticed the same handful of people popping up a lot in IB too this last week, but with more randoms passing through, and the matchmaking there seems way worse at balancing teams.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's a little irritating to me that I'm an old enough man that one drink slows my reflexes down enough that I have a rough time in PvP. It's also irritating that sometimes in comp I need to just admit that a fusion rifle is the best choice and that I need to put my shotgun away because the other team's just not having it and I'm getting killed for no reason.

We all know the spawn system in this game is shit.

But man, I think I just experienced the pinnacle of Bungie's garbage spawn system. Maybe even better then that time me and another guy died to chaos reach and then respawned next to the warlock that just killed us, who proceeded to kill us again with the same chaos reach.

It's gambit. I'm killing a HVT. Just as I'm picking up the last few motes, we get invaded. I think "I gotta hide, I've got 13 motes". Then I die.

Because they literally spawned the invader directly beside me. Like, literally, he was like 15 meters away, just behind me.

Peen wrote: »
    It's a little irritating to me that I'm an old enough man that one drink slows my reflexes down enough that I have a rough time in PvP. It's also irritating that sometimes in comp I need to just admit that a fusion rifle is the best choice and that I need to put my shotgun away because the other team's just not having it and I'm getting killed for no reason.

I think if I injected booze into the mix I'd be abysmally terrible at PVP, but maybe I'd take it in better stride.

I think since Forsaken, I've gotten less good at PVP.
    I think that's a testament to the compelling PVE content, as well as a function of age starting to take it's toll.

Age means my reactions are slowing, but age also brought children, and children mean sleep deprivation. Going from 0 to 2 kids during the span of Destiny has reduced my ability to make meaningful character progress while also trying to get 8 hours of rest, so my brain is foggier than in the Trials days.

In addition, focusing on PVE more means less time to just bust out practice, map memorization, callout names, follow the Meta, and play at my best all the time. Instead I'm more focused on making sure I get neat rolls of the Raid pulse (which is outclassed by Bygones and Blast Furnace anyway), vain attempts at solo flawless Pit, or even just (finally) completing Undying. Because of that, I've felt off a step the whole season, and even my standby of Doomfang Aggressor fails at the level of comp we're now playing in.

Meanwhile if they reintroduce Trials next season, it's going to be a learning cliff, just like the old version of Trials. Which may be a nice change of pace, but having to dig deeper and relearn map layout, points of death, firing lanes, and maybe reminding myself of all the callouts will take effort, comparatively. And the PVE has been enjoyable enough post-Forsaken that I don't know if I'll have that dedication. In the D1 times or in the D2Y1 times, PVP was way easier to focus on once crews busted out all the meaningful PVE content. Here the draw is less.

I almost don't want them to bring Trials back because I'm not sure I can come to the dance anymore.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Finally got some time to play so I’m working on catalysts. Decided to give Sunshot a whirl in IB and wow, what a gun.

Also, throw a counterbalance stock on Randy’s. It’s a dream.

shryke wrote: »
    We all know the spawn system in this game is shit.

But man, I think I just experienced the pinnacle of Bungie's garbage spawn system. Maybe even better then that time me and another guy died to chaos reach and then respawned next to the warlock that just killed us, who proceeded to kill us again with the same chaos reach.

It's gambit. I'm killing a HVT. Just as I'm picking up the last few motes, we get invaded. I think "I gotta hide, I've got 13 motes". Then I die.

Because they literally spawned the invader directly beside me. Like, literally, he was like 15 meters away, just behind me.

The other day I spawned in right between a warlock on my team, and the titan who was in the middle of his shoulder charge animation towards said warlock.

It would be excellent if they addressed the spawn issues, especially because they keep introducing maps that are really tiny/donut shaped where the game just doesn't care where it dumps you.

I definitely notice that not getting a good nights sleep just tanks my PvP skills in ways that aren't noticeable to me in the moment but are in aggregate.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Alright... I have one goal this week.

I still need 200 glory for recluse in the last week of the season.

While I wish I hadn't neglected to play for several weeks this season, this feels like it'll be doable even if not that fun

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Still no new lore from Eris.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Rusted Lands! THEY ACTUALLY DID IT

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    Oh shit my boy we gonna have a Void Titan party

Elki wrote: »
    Still no new lore from Eris.

i got mine. pretty sure the intent was for it to be one page a week, ending next week. some got ahead yes, but if you haven't been receiving any that's just it evening out.
    Peen wrote: »

HEADBUTT FINISHER!!!!

I assume / hope the new finishers are part of the season pass.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I’ll bet against.

Sirialis wrote: »

I’ll bet against.

there should be at least one in there based in this season.

Wraith260 wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »

I’ll bet against.

there should be at least one in there based in this season.

Judging by the season page here:
    https://www.bungie.net/7/en/Seasons/SeasonofDawn

The headbutt is on the paid track of the season pass.

I like how they say "Elimination returns" but it's been back

WHERE MY TRIALS NEWS BUNGO

I like how they say "Elimination returns" but it's been back

WHERE MY TRIALS NEWS BUNGO

Maybe tomorrow?

edited December 2019
    If Trials isn't win 7, but can lose X, with the cards....I prefer survival. It needs to have that leeway or else it'll be dead.

Also, 3vs3. For some reason, 4vs4 sucks.

6vs6 would be interesting, but, ugh, friends.

Bizazedo on