As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Holy crap, there's a new Dawn of War Expansion (WH40K)

14567810»

• canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A short story for anyone who seeks to understand the dark eldar better.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkeldar/torturer/
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What I want to know is why the TYRANIDS are not in this game.

WHY

Because they have to wait for Blizzard to show them how to do it with the Zerg in SC2 before they can copy it.

Pennyarcade.jpg

canemaquilus on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keep in mind when dealing with the dark gods, that all of them embody their aspects gone wild, out of control. Khorne is rage, not for the sake of using anger to motivate someone to correct an injustice or to fight for what they believe is right, but rage for rage's sake. Hence, he doesn't care whether or not his underlings win or lose, kill or die - so long as violence happens. Tzeentch embodies ambition, creation, and change, but with no goal in mind - his followers are changed without purpose, not to better themselves, but simply to change. There's no end goal to his scheming - simply the desire for things to be different than they are now, over and over and over.

It's the same with the other gods as well. They may not technically be defined as 'evil,' but they are so wild and opposed to any semblance of order that nothing can come from associating with them but insanity.

All this talk of the Ruinous Powers makes me wish they were better represented in DoW. It'd be great if you could, I dunno, consecrate your Daemon Pit to a specific dark god, causing your Greater Daemon and Lesser Daemon units to reflect whatever power you choose. Horrors become Daemonettes, Plaguebearers, or Bloodletters, etc. It could also give you Berserkers, Plaguemarines, Noisemarines, or Thousand Sons based on who you choose to devote yourself to.

I don't expect to see anything like this for DoW, of course. It'd be too much work to get all those new units' abilities in, and too weird to just have them be model-swaps of the existing units (how the hell would a Great Unclean One have an equivalent power to the Bloodthirster's flight ability?) But mayhap something like this will crop up in DoW 2...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My eyes watered just now while reading this thread and dreaming of the day when I level a city with Basilisks in order to secure it from the xenos.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Because they have to wait for Blizzard to show them how to do it with the Zerg in SC2 before they can copy it.

Pennyarcade.jpg

Yeah, I never have been able to understand why GW didn't sue the fuck out of blizzard when SC came out.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    arcath wrote: »

WHY

Pennyarcade.jpg

Yeah, I never have been able to understand why GW didn't sue the fuck out of blizzard when SC came out.

Because GW don't own the copyright to generic sci-fi.

Also, I was totally joking guys. I know which came first, I played TT for like 4 years.

The_Scarab on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Pennyarcade.jpg

Also, I was totally joking guys. I know which came first, I played TT for like 4 years.

It is just such a blatant rip, you would think they had a case.

guess not though.

::shrugs::

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    So hey that demo is sure awesome guys let's talk, chat, think, or play DoW!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guys the Protoss totally aren't like Eldar they use crystals not gems get your facts straight.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, more gay.

One of them.

Than the other.

I don't know which.

august on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

Pennyarcade.jpg

It is just such a blatant rip, you would think they had a case.

guess not though.

::shrugs::

Course if they did that, they chould be sued for ripping off D&D. And D&D whould be sued by tolkien, and tolkien whould be sued by the norse. So yes, whilst warcraft:humans vs orcs did start life a warhammer game, Blizzard chould probably just say that there inspired by the same things as warhammer rather than being a direct lift.

Norgoth on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WERP WERP I CAN THINK OF A COMIC THAT SUMMARISES THIS SITUATION

MAYBE I CAN POST IT SO WE DON'T HAVE TO THINK

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still of the opinion that late 1st/RT through early 2nd had the best artwork, culminating with the Realm of Chaos books. More formed and professional than the release of Rogue Trader, but vastly more interesting and dynamic than the proto-Blizzard style cartoon stuff that emerged in 2nd.

I think GW's modern artwork fits WFB quite a bit more than 40k.

edit: and no one thinks Blizzard took concepts from GW (other than the Warcraft creation story, which is nearly verbatim). Just visual styles, which are nearly uncopyrightable. There were no green, lantern-jawed, orcs before GW, except for the one Spidey fought. The whole thing has been discussed to death, too.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited January 2008
    I'm of the opinion that we should play the fucking game you slack jaws.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What did you guys think of the whole 'soul farming' mechanic. Seemed a little confusing to me. Like is the soul famr thing for slaves a toggle on/off?

Also, those slave pit things that increase pop cap, seemed to me like it would make sense for them to be able to build slaves but they dont. That way I can farm souls on the front line if I have some of those out there, rather than having to send them out from my main base.

The_Scarab on
    edited January 2008
    What did you guys think of the whole 'soul farming' mechanic. Seemed a little confusing to me. Like is the soul famr thing for slaves a toggle on/off?

Also, those slave pit things that increase pop cap, seemed to me like it would make sense for them to be able to build slaves but they dont. That way I can farm souls on the front line if I have some of those out there, rather than having to send them out from my main base.
    If it was a toggle, then it would change after you pressed it, like all of the other toggle abilities. And I don't know why you would build soul spawning slave pits on the front line instead of the morale killing kind. Going from 300 total morale to 75 seems pretty nice to me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's not a toggle, toggles, such as the Tomb Spyder's necron salvage ability change the image of the icon when you click, and it stays active. It's an ability switch, which you can only activate when there are souls nearby and will continue to work until all nearby souls are used up.

Also, you don't need to farm souls on the front line, seems like with the slave chamber soul-producing upgrade only being 35 req and then producing free souls from then on, that's the way to go about it. But if you do want to farm souls on the front line, the Dark Eldar Talos unit can do it too, and seems to be a pretty decent melee vehicle (their take on the walker, apparently).

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On SS: I don't like that you can harvest souls with an upgrade at your base. It kinds of defeats the purpose of goign out there and collecting souls. I haven't piddled with the demo but once, though.

On DC: I have never played online. I tend to hate playing RTSes online, it just isn't fun to me. Besides the You either get zerged early or you get zerged late, either way I'd rather fight AI. Right now I'm a bit bored with the campaign, after having gone through it 2.5 times, but still want to play. How do you guys feel about the average DC online battle?

On Tau: For some reason I have a strong desire to get good at using Pathfinders. I was wondering what other players tactics tend to be with them? My current idea is to have two Fire Warrior and one Kroot squad bound to 1. Then toss one/two Pathfinders into a Devilfish, possibly accompanied by Kroot, as squad 2. Have s1 engage a group then drop the Pathfinders from the cloaked Devilfish and mark the units s1 are engaging.
    I haven't tried this yet, usually I ignore Pathfinders because they die so easily, but after reading some of the Tau Codex I really want to use Pathfinders in DC.

Accualt on
    edited January 2008
    I use pathfinders to spot troops. Marketing them is just a bonus. I only really put fire warriors in Devilfish because they're so goddamn slow and vulnerable.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    pathfinders are great because they almost cancel out ranger harrass.
    Also markerlighting the Grey Knights squad is golden.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    Nothing cancels out ranger harass.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote: »

Word of the Emperor does, or whatever the hell ability allows the Librarian to basically make Space Marines invulnerable.

MechMantis on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

Word of the Emperor does, or whatever the hell ability allows the Librarian to basically make Space Marines invulnerable.

I am pretty sure that WOTE doesn't grant morale invulnerability.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Emperor is basically a vegetable. The irony being that if they would let him die, he would be reborn and humanity would be a-okay.

That is the greatest tragedy in 40K and it's cool to see that someone else got that.

Tzennetch is terrified of what would happen if the mortal form of the Emperor were allowed to die and his soul freed; a soul that's been building up power for about 10,000 years.

He might not be reborn, he'd.....ascend?

That would be awesome to do for Warhammer 50,000. Instead of just chaos warp entities, you'd have "avatars of the emperor" pop-up out of the war, angels as well as demons.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

WHY

If you visit the Relic.com forums, the devs have said that the current engine "wouldn't do them justice". Some people have tried 'nid mods, but they really look...bad.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    widowson wrote: »
    The Emperor is basically a vegetable. The irony being that if they would let him die, he would be reborn and humanity would be a-okay.

That is the greatest tragedy in 40K and it's cool to see that someone else got that.

Tzennetch is terrified of what would happen if the mortal form of the Emperor were allowed to die and his soul freed; a soul that's been building up power for about 10,000 years.

He might not be reborn, he'd.....ascend?

That would be awesome to do for Warhammer 50,000. Instead of just chaos warp entities, you'd have "avatars of the emperor" pop-up out of the war, angels as well as demons.

Yeah, but then it really wouldn't be the dark gritty fucked up universe we all know and love.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Execute >>>>>> Ranger Harass.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I dislike pathfinders because they are too specialized. Yes, they can dectect. Yes, they can markerlight. But that's basically all that they can do. "suppression fire" is nearly useless, as teleporting/jumping is the ideal way to melee FW squads, and as for their status as "spotters" for FW's, you can use any number of other units, such as stealthsuits, the TC, or a drone to accomplish the same purpose; never mind that in team games you can just have your teammate spot for you.

Milquetoast Thug on
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I dislike pathfinders because they are too specialized. Yes, they can dectect. Yes, they can markerlight. But that's basically all that they can do. "suppression fire" is nearly useless, as teleporting/jumping is the ideal way to melee FW squads, and as for their status as "spotters" for FW's, you can use any number of other units, such as stealthsuits, the TC, or a drone to accomplish the same purpose; never mind that in team games you can just have your teammate spot for you.

I generally only build them against eldar.

DodgeBlan on

edited January 2008
    Execute >>>>>> Ranger Harass.
    Making me change targets isn't defeating the rangers. Rangers are like Orkz that way.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The real reason they won't let the Emperor die is because Space Marines are already incredibly strong, and they'd take over the whole universe.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Few posts back, some guy said his recarnation may get confused with demon baby.

Also come on the Chaos Gods will so beat him up if he tries to approach the warp.

P.S Game on

doug_grammar on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Few posts back, some guy said his recarnation may get confused with demon baby.

Also come on the Chaos Gods will so beat him up if he tries to approach the warp.

P.S Game on

No.

His warp presence is greater than that of the 4 gods combined.

They always check their bone closets for him before they go to their beds of human flesh.

MechMantis on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So whycome he ain't squish 'em?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He did heretic. The four chaos gods have been dead ever since the Eternal God Emperor of Mankind annihilated them over ten thousand years ago. Their followers merely spread their poisonous lies because they fervently wish and believe that the chaos gods were still alive.

Remember that spreading untrue rumors is heresy, which is a mortal offense.

zerg rush on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    He did heretic. The four chaos gods have been dead ever since the Eternal God Emperor of Mankind annihilated them over ten thousand years ago. Their followers merely spread their poisonous lies because they fervently wish and believe that the chaos gods were still alive.

Remember that spreading untrue rumors is heresy, which is a mortal offense.

<3

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gork and Mork at the height of a great Waggh! are stupidly powerful.

Zen Vulgarity on