As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    People talk about the sound in BOTW ... or lack there-of but this video made me think about it a bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgev9Gzybk8

... If you have even a passing interest in music and/or sound design give it a watch. It's just amazing what people are STILL discovering about this game.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Baby bro got me Link’s Awakening for an early XMas gift

Is there anything I need to know or should I go in blind

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

If you haven't played one of the Oracle games just know that they handle items a bit differently than console Zelda games. You'll see what's going on soon enough though. Enjoy the ride!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Make sure to use your map! If you're not sure what to do next, see what areas you haven't explored.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    edited December 2019
    Ok one thing I’m already noticing

I hate that the sword button (and to a lesser extent the “jump” button) can’t be remapped to something that makes sense

knitdan on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I grabbed BotW while it's on sale. Still got a healthy backlog, so it'll be a while before I get to play it again (beat it once on Wii U)

Would y'all say Master Mode is worth a play? I'm in a weird place with difficulty in vidyas, I don't really value something being hard if it's not the point of the game. (Like I've been playing Death Stranding on hard for the traversal, and then bumping down to easy for combat)

Oh brilliant
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd suggest against going straight into Master Mode. Maybe play a little bit on normal first, just to get the hang of how combat works?
    Early game is the worst in MM, as almost everything can kill you in one or two hits.

But this is coming from someone who 100% normal, and only mainlined the main quest on MM, because the second Master Sword Trial just kept kicking my ass. the extra damage/health is one thing, but the regenerating health means you can't slowly pick enemies off, and makes one challenge in particular incredibly hard.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Master Mode is hard for the sake of being hard, it doesn’t add anything except bragging rights for a game that’s supposed to be fun.

• SporulationSporulation Registered User new member
    Just bought Link’s Awakening, cant wait to play.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Master Mode is hard for the sake of being hard, it doesn’t add anything except bragging rights for a game that’s supposed to be fun.

Thanks, figured. All the DLC is new since I first played it, that should gimme the fresh experience. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Grabbed the DLC and started to do the trial of the sword. it's basically get so far then die stupidly and start over. Rarrrrrgh!

The best part was falling in some water and desperately trying to swim to shore before drowning while getting tongue lashed by lizard men, that was awesome.

Nosf on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    In hindsight I wish I hadn't bought the season pass. As much as I loved BotW the DLC added precisely nothing to the experience.

Not even being able to upgrade the DLC armor is just, like. why

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm extremely late to the party here but I've been enjoying my playthrough of BOTW.

I'm still a bit irked by the destruction system on weapons, but enough drop that it's kind of a non thing as I'm nearing the end.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm extremely late to the party here but I've been enjoying my playthrough of BOTW.

I'm still a bit irked by the destruction system on weapons, but enough drop that it's kind of a non thing as I'm nearing the end.

Yeah the amount of weapons that drop makes the durability issue a non-issue, really.

But then that just begs the question of why even have a durability system there in the first place, then?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I actually love the destructibility/free availability of weapons. It makes all of them disposable so I'm not precious about where and when to use them. I have so many of all of the big bad Lionel weapons that I don't feel bad using one to chop down a tree or whatever.

If the weapons were indestructible I feel like I'd just choose one and use it for every occasion and miss out on slapping moblins with mystical flameblades and such. But that's just me.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Grabbed the DLC and started to do the trial of the sword. it's basically get so far then die stupidly and start over. Rarrrrrgh!

The best part was falling in some water and desperately trying to swim to shore before drowning while getting tongue lashed by lizard men, that was awesome.

There are in depth walkthrough s for the trials and honestly you should use them because its kind of a chore otherwise

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah the amount of weapons that drop makes the durability issue a non-issue, really.

But then that just begs the question of why even have a durability system there in the first place, then?

That's where I'm at.

It's such a small part of the overall experience that it doesn't ruin anything, though. The creativity of the puzzles and environments/gameplay interactions are superb.

jungleroomx on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Yeah, this is exactly it:
    Cruor wrote: »
    I actually love the destructibility/free availability of weapons. It makes all of them disposable so I'm not precious about where and when to use them. I have so many of all of the big bad Lionel weapons that I don't feel bad using one to chop down a tree or whatever.

If the weapons were indestructible I feel like I'd just choose one and use it for every occasion and miss out on slapping moblins with mystical flameblades and such. But that's just me.
    In games that don't have item durability, I (and I think most people) find one set of items that they like enough to use regularly and they never swap out of it, even if a different set of items might be more efficient for a certain situation.

In games that have an item durability-and-repair system, the game loop ends up being that you find a set of equipment that you like, you play for a while, and then you have to stop playing to go back to town and do some chores, i.e. get your stuff repaired. I'm still unlikely to use different weapons, except in emergencies.

BotW has item durability but no repair, which means that the game doesn't force you to stop adventuring to go back to town. It's actually the reverse, it forces you to keep adventuring. If your weapons break, you'll find a few backup weapons in towns, but the best way to find more weapons is by going back out into the wild. In a way, the system works like a more lenient version of the food-and-hunger system in Nethack, which forces you to keep moving forward rather than backward (the BotW durability system encourages you to move forward rather than forcing).

This system doesn't work for some people. It extremely worked for me.

Delduwath wrote: »

Yeah, this is exactly it:

In games that don't have item durability, I (and I think most people) find one set of items that they like enough to use regularly and they never swap out of it, even if a different set of items might be more efficient for a certain situation.

In games that have an item durability-and-repair system, the game loop ends up being that you find a set of equipment that you like, you play for a while, and then you have to stop playing to go back to town and do some chores, i.e. get your stuff repaired. I'm still unlikely to use different weapons, except in emergencies.

BotW has item durability but no repair, which means that the game doesn't force you to stop adventuring to go back to town. It's actually the reverse, it forces you to keep adventuring. If your weapons break, you'll find a few backup weapons in towns, but the best way to find more weapons is by going back out into the wild. In a way, the system works like a more lenient version of the food-and-hunger system in Nethack, which forces you to keep moving forward rather than backward (the BotW durability system encourages you to move forward rather than forcing).

This system doesn't work for some people. It extremely worked for me.

Yeah but there's already a return to town mechanic with the Spirit Orbs and selling/buying, so whatever net benefit the weapon breakage system has is p much cancelled by how often you have to go buy arrows again.

I bought arrows maybe a handful of times? And even then, those merchants are ones out in the wild or at horse depots (I forgot the word stable momentarily there, it stays in!). Most of my arrows were grabbed from jerks who had arrows until I dusted them, and then I had the arrows.

I also never really felt a need to sell items often or much at all. If an opportunity arose to sell items I would on occasion (in the goron town where the gerudo woman would buy a rotating selection of gems for ridiculous sums), but the things you absolutely NEED rupees for seem few and far between. Again, this is all just my personal experience, but I never really felt the need to return to a town.

As for spirit orbs, there's also a bunch of goddess statues scattered about the world. The beginning of the game was admittedly more town-centric for spirit orbs since you wanna get those hearts/stamina wheels pumped up really quick. But as those meters get filled you can mostly eschew the safety of the towns, which felt really nice to me.

I bought arrows maybe a handful of times? And even then, those merchants are ones out in the wild or at horse depots (I forgot the word stable momentarily there, it stays in!). Most of my arrows were grabbed from jerks who had arrows until I dusted them, and then I had the arrows.

I also never really felt a need to sell items often or much at all. If an opportunity arose to sell items I would on occasion (in the goron town where the gerudo woman would buy a rotating selection of gems for ridiculous sums), but the things you absolutely NEED rupees for seem few and far between. Again, this is all just my personal experience, but I never really felt the need to return to a town.

As for spirit orbs, there's also a bunch of goddess statues scattered about the world. The beginning of the game was admittedly more town-centric for spirit orbs since you wanna get those hearts/stamina wheels pumped up really quick. But as those meters get filled you can mostly eschew the safety of the towns, which felt really nice to me.

Bow combat is 75% of my combat. 10% of it is bombs. The rest is melee weaponry. I end up having to make rounds (Gerudo mostly, but other towns/stables if I have specific needs).

And I haven't found any goddess statues that are closer to warp points than Kakariko's statue.

Bow combat is 75% of my combat. 10% of it is bombs. The rest is melee weaponry. I end up having to make rounds (Gerudo mostly, but other towns/stables if I have specific needs).

And I haven't found any goddess statues that are closer to warp points than Kakariko's statue.

Oh yeah, that's a lot more than I use my bow. My bow is like, the opening shot to stun someone or kill a lookout before I go berserker on them with whatever my chosen weapon of the time is. I can see how someone who uses the bow much more often would have arrow scarcity issues.

Oh yeah, that's a lot more than I use my bow. My bow is like, the opening shot to stun someone or kill a lookout before I go berserker on them with whatever my chosen weapon of the time is. I can see how someone who uses the bow much more often would have arrow scarcity issues.

Yeah, big time bow user. Bomb arrow triple shot bows are how I take down the Stone Talus.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I just kinda did BotW combat badly for most of my playthrough; after coming back from a break I started using arrows much more liberally and it all made a lot more sense. I already visited stables a lot so buying out Beedle whenever I was there made supply a non-issue.

But then! But then. I discovered the wonder of using a 2-hander's charge to DPS, not even finishing the swing to save durability.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would have swapped weapons a lot more had they not been breakable. As it was, I just used the shittiest weapon on hand in case I ever needed anything better (I never did).

Xaquin wrote: »
    I would have swapped weapons a lot more had they not been breakable. As it was, I just used the shittiest weapon on hand in case I ever needed anything better (I never did).

explicitly making me break the typical RPG hoarder instincts was the great part of the durability system

I'm sorry if it didn't meaningfully change the way you interact with consumables in the same way

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

explicitly making me break the typical RPG hoarder instincts was the great part of the durability system

I'm sorry if it didn't meaningfully change the way you interact with consumables in the same way

Nope, instead it made me look up whatever was going to last the longest and try to grind those things because I never ever wanted to be without a weapon, I never wanted to find myself in a situation where I was in trouble for not being careful, super careful with the best weapons until I had enough good weapons at the time.

Which is why I didn't do the main animal dungeons until I'd found every shrine and gotten all the best weapons possible, which made them trivial.

Which, yeah, I'm sure wasn't the intention, but it was never going to break how I deal with those situations if other games hadn't done the same. I'm just always inclined to hoard, and I've never met a game where I could that I didn't.

Then again, it's the same in real life, that feeling that I can't afford to throw away something I might need because I can't afford to buy anything else. At this point it's deeply ingrained to save the best stuff for last and always be careful because I don't want to "waste" or "run out" of something.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited December 2019

Didn't change it for me either. I just eventually use stuff because it's the worst out of the lot I currently have.

Like, there's a lot I enjoy massively about the game. I enjoyed the elemental logic applied to everything, it's very cool and immersive. I love the movement systems. But necessitating hoarding stuff because it breaks wasn't my favorite part of the game.

jungleroomx on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Certainly, it's going to vary from person to person as folks approach games differently. I don't remember if the inventory for crafting ingredients is unlimited or just very, very sizable, but because I felt no inventory size pressure, I never felt the need to go to town and "offload" to clear inventory space. Because the things to buy are limited, I also rarely felt the need to to sell my items for profit; if I wanted to buy some arrows or something,
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Nope, instead it made me look up whatever was going to last the longest and try to grind those things because I never ever wanted to be without a weapon, I never wanted to find myself in a situation where I was in trouble for not being careful, super careful with the best weapons until I had enough good weapons at the time.

Which is why I didn't do the main animal dungeons until I'd found every shrine and gotten all the best weapons possible, which made them trivial.

Which, yeah, I'm sure wasn't the intention, but it was never going to break how I deal with those situations if other games hadn't done the same. I'm just always inclined to hoard, and I've never met a game where I could that I didn't.

Then again, it's the same in real life, that feeling that I can't afford to throw away something I might need because I can't afford to buy anything else. At this point it's deeply ingrained to save the best stuff for last and always be careful because I don't want to "waste" or "run out" of something.
    I get where you're coming from, because I'm the same in almost every other game. It's that joke about saving all your potions until the last battle because "what if I need them", and then ultimately not using them on the final battle either because... well. Because our brains are particular.

I was that way in BotW at first, as well. For whatever reason, the mentality eventually dissipated, at least in this game, because I was forced to go through weapons. It's rough at first, when you only have a few weapon slots; I finished the first lynel fight with no weapon but the one in my hands, and no food (and a heart rate that one was just one solid thrum). Every fight after that? I walked into it with an arsenal and I left it with more weapons than when I started. Some pragmatic part of my brain, having been exposed to this reality enough times, accepted that using up weapons was fine because I would never actually be out, would rarely even have an empty spot.

I still prefer some weapons to others, and I still tend to use weaker weapons on trash mobs, but I don't actually feel bad if I end up using a lynel weapon on some moblins.

That's just my personal experience, though, and how my particular brain accommodated this game.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bow combat is more practical especially once you can take down the Lions reliably and grab theirs.

Also I bought out the seaside village special arrows whenever I got the chance

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited December 2019
    Certainly, it's going to vary from person to person as folks approach games differently. I don't remember if the inventory for crafting ingredients is unlimited or just very, very sizable, but because I felt no inventory size pressure, I never felt the need to go to town and "offload" to clear inventory space. Because the things to buy are limited, I also rarely felt the need to to sell my items for profit; if I wanted to buy some arrows or something,
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I get where you're coming from, because I'm the same in almost every other game. It's that joke about saving all your potions until the last battle because "what if I need them", and then ultimately not using them on the final battle either because... well. Because our brains are particular.

I was that way in BotW at first, as well. For whatever reason, the mentality eventually dissipated, at least in this game, because I was forced to go through weapons. It's rough at first, when you only have a few weapon slots; I finished the first lynel fight with no weapon but the one in my hands, and no food (and a heart rate that one was just one solid thrum). Every fight after that? I walked into it with an arsenal and I left it with more weapons than when I started. Some pragmatic part of my brain, having been exposed to this reality enough times, accepted that using up weapons was fine because I would never actually be out, would rarely even have an empty spot.

I still prefer some weapons to others, and I still tend to use weaker weapons on trash mobs, but I don't actually feel bad if I end up using a lynel weapon on some moblins.

That's just my personal experience, though, and how my particular brain accommodated this game.

I think this is also why, while I enjoy the game quite a bit, it still doesn't crack my top 3 favorite Zelda games. What I will admit that it did, specifically in the way the game was structured as a mostly mapless romp up front to find and upgrade yourself through map exploration and acquisition, was to remind me of actually the first Legend of Zelda. Which, honestly, also isn't in my top 3 either. My top 3 are Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time, so this being very different from what were, more or less, 3D or top down Metroidvanias and was instead more of an exploratory open world both reminded me of the original game while also ensuring it's specific spot in my mind's hierarchy wasn't exactly what I wanted out of the series.

That doesn't mean it was bad, but I could see the places where the game would have otherwise had specific boss strategies and the intent that would have had and the roles different runes or abilities would have played had it been structured like a "traditional" Zelda game. One of those is the weapon system, which felt like a much expanded system akin to how you could use extra weapons in Wind Waker, for example. The breakage issues was what made it feel a bit more like the original, not because the original had breakage, but because it created a sense (at least in me) of worry about maybe not being able to handle what was around the next corner.

What I did then as what I did now was to eventually skip around hard things or find a guide such that in some way it dampened the experience, but was an experience I wasn't looking forward to anyway. A concrete example would be old boss strategies vs confronting things like the guardians or lynels, which I didn't do until at least 3/4 of the way through BOTW because I wasn't looking for nor wanting Nintendo hard in my Legend of Zelda, which meant that I was facing off with the strongest lynels in the game unless they were scripted otherwise.

And if all this feels like I'm really bagging on BOTW, I'm not. It just wasn't what I go to Legend of Zelda for, and eventually I had to come at the game from more of its own terms, but I never quite found an angle that didn't dull the game's intended edge while preserving the experience because the experience was the edge, which is a place I rarely like to be. I found my way around the game, but I never felt like I'd really been given the instructions to master it like previous LoZ games.

And that's even after finally learning how to no-hit kill a lynel. I still didn't feel like the hero older games made me feel like, especially since the Master Sword trials just wrecked me and I realized most of my ability was coming from my superior gear, not any amount of skill.

Which I guess is my point? Older Zelda games felt like they required less skill to make work well than this one which, after the shiny exploration feeling wore off, left me at a high disadvantage. It was all me. I wasn't the player the game felt like it wanted.
    This is, very tangentially, also my issue with Witcher 3, but that's not what this thread is about.

Kalnaur on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I could never get shield parry to work for me. I'm such a scrub.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Would love a cheat code that doubled the parry window and headshot box.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Personalyl, i think i only really ran into issues with the weapon system on master mode - And that's mostly down to the hp regen mechanics making enviromental kills less of a thing. And even then, you could still grab the system by the scruff of it's neck and break it over your well toned from countless hours of walking knees. Getting hte master sword early (and if felt like it, upgrading it through the sword trials), getting attack up armor (there's an early dlc set that gets you +++atk easily, barbarian armor is still relatively painless to get, and there's still the good ol' Guardian armor + Guardian weapon + attack up food for when you really need to Make Something Dead).

Learning to abuse stuff like Urbosa's fury, mount attacks on Lynels (Dont cost you any weapon durability), damage multipliers from freezing foes, shocking foes in wet weather (does CRAZY damage, i kept a lighting spear on hand for just that) also helps. Plus there's a bunch of reliable places where weapons will always respawn after a bloodmoon - There's a royal greatsword in the skull ontop of one of the towers, for instance. Master Mode also adds a bunch of extra chests on floating platforms, which are easy to plunder for good loot.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I could do the shield parry on the guardians some of the time. Not a lot, but some.

I couldn't get it right with anyone else. It was always too early or too late.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think the game would have been better off if the numerous weapon types had a light combo system and each one played differently. You could still keep durability but just have the weapon count as "broken" until you return to a town to fix it.

Getting access to Links weapon of each type would also help alleviate the lack of things you actually get in the game.

Also being able to upgrade the weapons like you could the armor and maybe have their appearance change with each upgrade an unlock a new combo or passive effect would have been great and adding in the ingredients to find to upgrade them and a blueprint for the upgrade would also have helped out with the lack of things to get in the game.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I think the game would have been better off if the numerous weapon types had a light combo system and each one played differently. You could still keep durability but just have the weapon count as "broken" until you return to a town to fix it.

Getting access to Links weapon of each type would also help alleviate the lack of things you actually get in the game.

Also being able to upgrade the weapons like you could the armor and maybe have their appearance change with each upgrade an unlock a new combo or passive effect would have been great and adding in the ingredients to find to upgrade them and a blueprint for the upgrade would also have helped out with the lack of things to get in the game.

Those honestly sound like great ideas. I definitely think having weapons get "Broken" and drop down to doing nearly useless (or minimal) damage would have been good. One thing that did bother me was how hard Quality of weapon and durability were linked - there were the royal guard weapons which were an exception, and i think the ancient weapons too, but in general the weakest weapons were also the ones that broke the most easily. Which created a real bad feedback loop, especially on master mode.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I still think it would have been such a Nintendo move to make shield parrying easier when you use shitty shields like the pot lid.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    What irks me is that weapons typically break so hilariously fast. "Welp, this knight's sword is good for killing....3 moblins." No wonder the fucking kingdom fell. They've been making all their weapons out of lead or cast iron.

• dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Well, my head cannon theory about the weapon breakage is ... just hear me out.

My theory is that Link actually died 100 years in the past. Only a sliver of his spirit remained and when they took him to the shrine of healing but the shrine couldn't actually heal him. What the shrine did was tether is remaining soul/spirit to a body that was created out of pure energy. A carbon copy of his real body since it couldn't save the real thing. What this did was allow this new pseudo-body to be deconstructed and reconstructed so that he could use the teleportation mechanic at shrines. It could explain how he warps all over the place and some of his powers.

His new body allows him to do things in micro-time (or nanoseconds) and he can appear to stop time to do things ... like eat food, or swap weapons, or flurry rush ... in the middle of a fight.

But this new body is unstable and degrades any weapon that he uses because he is actually pure energy now. He is channeling his energy into any attacks that he performs with those weapons and as a result, those weapons break. It would explain a lot. As long as he is using a weapon the shifting energy breaks down the structure of the weapon until the structure itself cannot cope any more and the weapon breaks. Once a weapon is out of his hands however the molecular structure returns to normal. That would explain how if you drop a weapon that is almost ready to break and an enemy uses that same weapon it will not break.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
This discussion has been closed.