As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    One toy time, one curry at silver in my camp, one in a random camp with help has been enough for me to meet all friendo Evo requirements.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    For something like evolving Eevee to Espeon/Umbreon, or for Sylveon?

I just remember how much of a pain in the ass friendship was a looong time ago. Crobat, Espeon, Umbreon, Togetic, evolving baby 'mons up to their higher forms... and then they freaking limited it so you couldn't spam it and do it all at once, which was a huge ass-pain.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I fed my Pokemon curry and played with them a few times and did a few battles with the Soothe Bell and my Eevee turned into Sylveon at level 8

It's much easier this time around

Also her name is Poppy :3

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I finished the championships. Those last couple of hours are SO GOOD. A bit out of nowhere but man I loved it. What a game.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I wish it was easier to catch Eeveelutions. I already bagged an Umbreon, if I can grab Sylveon and Espeon I can catch the rest of the Eevees I need and throw stones at them.

How much of a respawn timer do they have? Is it catch something, go zone into a different area, then come back and more are there?

I think eveelutions are one per day rotating?

but also after giving the digging bros like 10k watts i'll never be low on evolving stones

Even if the digger bros didn't cough up a million stones the Lake of Outrage spawns the entire set at a fairly decent chance once a day at the stone crown.

I caught all 8 Eeveelutions in the wild (and got lucky with an Eevee while heading to the first gym), along with like 90% of my trade-evos and several other stone evos. This game is weird.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Milotec
    You can catch it just south of the bridge in south lake Moloch where Gyrados spawns during foggy weather

*fixed spelling

Pailryder on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also I remember going into the game people talking about how the game just automatically makes you super over-leveled...

Yea that wasn't true at all. I have fought every single trainer and do not swap out or change my team and I still come into each gym with my pokes at or even a level or two below their pokemon.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Also I remember going into the game people talking about how the game just automatically makes you super over-leveled...

Yea that wasn't true at all. I have fought every single trainer and do not swap out or change my team and I still come into each gym with my pokes at or even a level or two below their pokemon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying you tend to only catch the mons you're very specifically interested in using on your team? That's a valid way to play, but it's also not the norm and leaves a lot of catch EXP on the table which would explain that disparity.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember you saying you tend to only catch the mons you're very specifically interested in using on your team? That's a valid way to play, but it's also not the norm and leaves a lot of catch EXP on the table which would explain that disparity.

What is the “norm” and how is it determined? This is my first Pokémon game and I also find I’m mostly evenly matched in levels at each gym I reach. I catch every new Pokémon that I encounter, but I don’t spend time looking for rare spawns, either.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I try to catch every mon I don't already have and fight every trainer, and was never overleveled
    I run from any wild pokemon I don't need to catch though

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Oh for sure! I've caught a few here and there for the jobs. But also if you're out there catching a bunch of pokemon that you have no intention of using and you know it's giving you xp and you care about being over-leveled it seems like kinda a non-issue. Especially since xp scales so if you are planning on catching a mon and tossing it in a box you can just as easily come back to that zone after you move on to catch them all for completion sake and no longer get lots of xp.

Like any RPG if you are running around doing a lot of extra fighting for the sake of some completionist stuff... yea you may get over-leveled. But that is you going out of your way to do something extra and not really the same thing as the game just making you overleveled. Like the people saying it were people talking about how even if you tried to specifically avoid battles you would still always be overleveled because of how bad it is. Which is straight up not true.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

What is the “norm” and how is it determined? This is my first Pokémon game and I also find I’m mostly evenly matched in levels at each gym I reach. I catch every new Pokémon that I encounter, but I don’t spend time looking for rare spawns, either.

Well, the "norm" for people who sit around and complain about games on forums. I'd bet that tends to lean towards the completionist side :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    physi_marc wrote: »

Well, the "norm" for people who sit around and complain about games on forums. I'd bet that tends to lean towards the completionist side :P

Oh for sure there are more of those folks. I wouldn't quite say that it leans towards them. I would wager there are more people on these boards and others that play these games without going for pokedex completion than do.

But that's also part of the point I think. Those folks who care about the levels and complain on forums are also those with access to more information about the game and in turn *should* be able to use and understand the basic knowledge of how scaling xp works and how they can still do all the things they want and stay at the level they desire.

Of course we all know none of that fact stuff really matters when it comes to complaining on video game forums though!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The only time I felt overleveled was heading toward the first gym with multiple Pokemon brushing against or passing the lvl20 Pokemon listen to this trainer line which was slightly problematic because of how many surprise traded mons I was using and benched at lvl 21, but once you cross off gym one I never had to worry about that again

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    By the end of the game a majority of my Pokemon were overleveled... But only because I fed them all the candy I owned so I could easily beat the last boss.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I saved candy for catching up recent additions or rotated pokemon (I aimed to always bring at least 2 pokemon of the right type into a gym) to my 2nd highest leveled pokemon and it felt like I was always around the right level I should be.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I’ve been thinking. While I appreciate the QoL improvements of “EV jobs” and the new xp candies from raids, it sure takes something away from developing new additions to your team.

The best way to get a baby pokemon to max level and EV trained is... Never actually put it in battle against anything. Send it away to boarding school for 1-2 days, and then feed it all the candy when it comes home. Not the best way to form lasting bonds with your ‘mons.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    once i realized how free flowing the candy was it was great for the "i need coverage for this gym, eat this" but i really didn't use any for my main team besides wanting to make toxel evolve immediately

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I only used it for catching stuff up to the level of the rest of my party.

Now that I've finished all the story stuff I'll probably be more liberal with it since brute force is king for raids and such.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I only used candies to bring a level 1 Dreepy up to par with the rest of my team

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    does using a poke in a raid den give it EVs?

there's a few i'd throw into raids like the gmax charizard but I don't wanna have to undo them later

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    How does this look for a competitive team?

9f54e886c285ccab3058aff83e1f32c0.png

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

there's a few i'd throw into raids like the gmax charizard but I don't wanna have to undo them later

It likely shouldn't as you get no EXP from the fight. But I don't know for certain.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

It likely shouldn't as you get no EXP from the fight. But I don't know for certain.

You don't gain XP or EVs from using a pokemon in a raid

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So uh

Y'all got any of them dittos?

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pail's Journal Entry
    Day 47, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I thought a surprise trade was going to be my ticket but instead i keep getting rookidee's. My merry band (barrin snom) may not make it to completing the dex but i will set those poor pokemon free before recycling them in the endless suprise trade loop.

Day 53, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I've heard rumors that one will appear on the Murdoch Loch but only in times of fog. Unfortunately i dare not manipulate the weather for fear of breaking my existing collection.

Day 926, I seem to recall there once was a way to request a certain pokemon in exchange for something else...who knows where this secret faustian deal has gone.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Pail's Journal Entry
    Day 47, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I thought a surprise trade was going to be my ticket but instead i keep getting rookidee's. My merry band (barrin snom) may not make it to completing the dex but i will set those poor pokemon free before recycling them in the endless suprise trade loop.

Day 53, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I've heard rumors that one will appear on the Murdoch Loch but only in times of fog. Unfortunately i dare not manipulate the weather for fear of breaking my existing collection.

Day 926, I seem to recall there once was a way to request a certain pokemon in exchange for something else...who knows where this secret faustian deal has gone.

Do you want me to breed you one?
    Winky wrote: »
    So uh

Y'all got any of them dittos?

I have multiple boxes of shitty dittos, would you like one? (I only have one good one, sorry)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Battle tower really pulls its punches early on. Though the rental Cinderace with Life Orb doesn't hurt. Pyro Ball and things break in half. Max Flare and it's a joke because it sets up sunlight too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I tried a few link battles and was introduced to what I mentally think of as "the asshole corsola", which alongside Shield Dog has been cruising through the Battle Tower without incident. That stupid little dead egg shit is a fucking tank. Apparently one of the god's mistake fossil pokemon (the one conveniently made from the two shield fossils) is also broken beyond belief. I'll probably spawn myself a bunch of those too.

I marathoned the game as a whole quicker and filled the dex thanks to a friend in house over Thanksgiving vacation, and since I didn't see a single shiny the whole run, I'm breeding myself a Marnie hamster shiny, just to say that I did, although not really sure what I'll do with it. Already have a half dozen 5 IV ones I've been setting aside if anybody wants a strong useless hamster. I've Wonder Traded away shinies and legendaries in past generations out of spite when I got sick of the games. Not feeling sick of this yet, but not really sure what there is to do once I take down the Battle Tower. Maybe the 2x battles will require some rejiggering or fussing. Not hugely interested in collecting all the gigamaxes, although I did Surprise Trade into what I'm pretty sure is a hacked gigamax Pikachu with six IVs. It's also German.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I tried a few link battles and was introduced to what I mentally think of as "the asshole corsola", which alongside Shield Dog has been cruising through the Battle Tower without incident. That stupid little dead egg shit is a fucking tank. Apparently one of the god's mistake fossil pokemon (the one conveniently made from the two shield fossils) is also broken beyond belief. I'll probably spawn myself a bunch of those too.

I marathoned the game as a whole quicker and filled the dex thanks to a friend in house over Thanksgiving vacation, and since I didn't see a single shiny the whole run, I'm breeding myself a Marnie hamster shiny, just to say that I did, although not really sure what I'll do with it. Already have a half dozen 5 IV ones I've been setting aside if anybody wants a strong useless hamster. I've Wonder Traded away shinies and legendaries in past generations out of spite when I got sick of the games. Not feeling sick of this yet, but not really sure what there is to do once I take down the Battle Tower. Maybe the 2x battles will require some rejiggering or fussing. Not hugely interested in collecting all the gigamaxes, although I did Surprise Trade into what I'm pretty sure is a hacked gigamax Pikachu with six IVs. It's also German.

All of the Gigamax Pikachu and Eevee have 6 IVs. Its possible someone hacked it to give away, but also totally plausible that someone surprise traded it without realizing what they were doing.

Battle Tower is usually fairly simple for the low levels just so that kids are capable of doing SOME work but once you get higher win streaks can get pretty intense, but REALLY I'd argue that if you are interested in getting the most out of your game you try out some rental teams online.

Speaking of which, did anyone else see this rental team database? https://www.trainertower.com/pokemon-sword-and-shield-rental-teams/
    I loaded my game up with 6 of them and have been having a ball trying out different strats. Tailpoke's Gardevoir-Togedemaru rain team is really fun.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ah, well, fair enough. I was surprised enough to get it in the first place, and when I checked the IVs and saw that they were perfect across the board, I thought "ooooh, okay. No wonder it was given away randomly."

Meh on the rental teams though. I don't care about competitive stuff THAT much, just as kind of a peek in curiosity and some light dabbling to amuse myself by beating up the AI.

This is somewhat uncharted territory for me. I usually play the Pokemans a year or two after they're released on a slow shuffle through the game, then get daunted by how much is left in the dex and just throw in the towel and cease caring. Having someone in the house to just go "Eh, I can give you X" or answer whatever questions I have instead of being forced to Google or to make stupid nicknames on things etc etc has made it much more social and enjoyable.

Edit:

Eyyyy.

UKndUMQ.jpg

feXladX.jpg

You and me both, pal.

Literally the last batch of five I was going to do before I called it quits for the evening.

...The first of the five, so I had to sit through the remaining four all hatching.

Now, anybody know what to do with about 150 extra hamsters? Feed them to a snapping turtle probably.

Ended up with 14 5 IV ones that are still set aside for... whatever I feel like doing with them. Amusingly, because of the parents' IVs, all but a single one has their one non-maxed IV in speed. ...Actually, I may not understand how that works. It made sense before in my head. Now it doesn't. Oh well, whatever. It's late and I did it just because I was told to and/or it was minimal extra effort.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Ah, well, fair enough. I was surprised enough to get it in the first place, and when I checked the IVs and saw that they were perfect across the board, I thought "ooooh, okay. No wonder it was given away randomly."

Meh on the rental teams though. I don't care about competitive stuff THAT much, just as kind of a peek in curiosity and some light dabbling to amuse myself by beating up the AI.

This is somewhat uncharted territory for me. I usually play the Pokemans a year or two after they're released on a slow shuffle through the game, then get daunted by how much is left in the dex and just throw in the towel and cease caring. Having someone in the house to just go "Eh, I can give you X" or answer whatever questions I have instead of being forced to Google or to make stupid nicknames on things etc etc has made it much more social and enjoyable.

Edit:

Eyyyy.

UKndUMQ.jpg

feXladX.jpg

You and me both, pal.

Literally the last batch of five I was going to do before I called it quits for the evening.

...The first of the five, so I had to sit through the remaining four all hatching.

Now, anybody know what to do with about 150 extra hamsters? Feed them to a snapping turtle probably.

Ended up with 14 5 IV ones that are still set aside for... whatever I feel like doing with them. Amusingly, because of the parents' IVs, all but a single one has their one non-maxed IV in speed.

Try to evolve the Pikachu, if it refuses the thunder stone it's a gift and not hacked. If it evolves it might be bred from a gift. If it were hacked it'd probably be shiny too, right?

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Battle thingie NPCs are no longer dumb about Truant/Entrainment. (And also every single ‘mon has a fire move. Without fail)

This has been a public service announcement, brought to you by a wasted morning of breeding and training and candy-stuffing.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    wait that's a normal morpeko isn't it?

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    wait that's a normal morpeko isn't it?

nope, the regular one has yellow/tan fur where this one has white fur.

Edit:

Eyyyy.

UKndUMQ.jpg

feXladX.jpg

You and me both, pal.

Ended up with 14 5 IV ones that are still set aside for... whatever I feel like doing with them. Amusingly, because of the parents' IVs, all but a single one has their one non-maxed IV in speed.

Try to evolve the Pikachu, if it refuses the thunder stone it's a gift and not hacked. If it evolves it might be bred from a gift. If it were hacked it'd probably be shiny too, right?
    They said it was gmax, and gmax doesn't pass with breeding, so it can't have been bred
    It could be hacked, but not much point in hacking a mon that always has perfect stats anyway. Though maybe a hacker just felt like distributing it to people who didn't play Let's Go Pikachu
    Seems more likely someone just traded away their gift pokemon. Possibly by accident without knowing it was special

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking. While I appreciate the QoL improvements of “EV jobs” and the new xp candies from raids, it sure takes something away from developing new additions to your team.

The best way to get a baby pokemon to max level and EV trained is... Never actually put it in battle against anything. Send it away to boarding school for 1-2 days, and then feed it all the candy when it comes home. Not the best way to form lasting bonds with your ‘mons.

I mean it's like getting a new dog and sending it to obedience school and then giving it treats

I sent my team to school then walked all the routes again battling things till they all hit 50 and then I poured candy down their throats to get them to moves they only learn through levelup

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How does chaining work in this game? If I get in a fight with something that I don't want, does running away from the fight break the chain? Or will a chain continue if I run away from unwanted fights?

Lucascraft wrote: »
    How does chaining work in this game? If I get in a fight with something that I don't want, does running away from the fight break the chain? Or will a chain continue if I run away from unwanted fights?
    I've heard there is no chain. It's just based on your total fainted or caught. Once you pass 500 you can run if you want
    That's what aDrive keeps saying at least. Serebii has the bonuses at the bottom of this page:
    https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/shinypokemon.shtml

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Yeah I destroyed the first gym but after the second one I noticed I was having a much tougher time in general. the third gym wasn't an issue because my starter was the type counter, but its not been a pushover if I dont run away and level for hours in the wild area before continuing the story.

steam_sig.png