As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Too brittle.

Why’s everybody staring at me?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    djmitchella on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Everything about this was both new and bewildering to me

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I just had a Berenstein bears moment with remuneration.

There is apparently no such word as renumeration.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I just skimmed an essay about renumeration vs. remuneration and it says that technically Merriam-Webster defines renumeration as the act of counting something again but then I went to Merriam-Websters website and searched for renumeration and it said thats not a word so whoever wrote that essay decided to tell historys most boring lie whatever gets you off I guess

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I know an editor at MW. I could ask them to put it in for you. Might take a few years though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I just had a Berenstein bears moment with remuneration.

There is apparently no such word as renumeration.

Between this post and learning that piano version of "everytime we touch" is indeed by the same group that did the eurobeat version, I've come to the conclusion that all human perception is illusory.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Everything about this was both new and bewildering to me

I did know a bunch of it but it's because I have a cheat code aka a close friend from Malta

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I, meanwhile, had to go to Wikipedia to refresh my memory as to where, and indeed what Malta even is

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It's a delicious shake

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    No, that's a malt. A Malta is a bird statuette.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    No, no, no.

A Malta is a tiny little toy dog with luxurious locks!

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'm sure Shorty will be able to tell us which of these definitions is accurate.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Oh I know what Malta is! It's a secret paramilitary organization.
    After World War II ended, a lot of super-humans who'd fought for the US left the service, leaving us weakened against the paranormal assets of our new enemies in the Soviet bloc. To counter this, a CIA spook named Roger Vrabel pulled enough strings to get the Might for Right act passed, which let him draft meta-humans into his own special strike force. When the Might for Right act was overturned in '67, the Soviets proceeded to kick our asses in all the Cold War spy games and it started to look grim. So Vrabel, McIntosh, and a bunch of others got together at a little conference organized by Neil McIntosh and the 17 of them formed an illegal intelligence conspiracy called the Malta Group. They acted outside of their own governments, recruiting meta-humans by any means fair or foul to fight their invisible war. These days, communism's gone, the cold war is over, and the Malta Group's had to change. Now they've dedicated themselves to the spread of their version of democracy and capitalism, which really is more like a dictatorship wrapped in an American flag.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I, meanwhile, had to go to Wikipedia to refresh my memory as to where, and indeed what Malta even is

Apart from hosting some startlingly modern descendants of ancient crusaders, Malta has been in the international news A LOT lately because of that Panama Papers assassination scandal, which gets stupider and more blatantly corrupt every week and I'm hoping to crap George Clooney has already commissioned a screenplay.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I had a chunk of that Malta background through this channel:

https://youtu.be/OAWZKMjsSfU

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Apart from hosting some startlingly modern descendants of ancient crusaders, Malta has been in the international news A LOT lately because of that Panama Papers assassination scandal, which gets stupider and more blatantly corrupt every week and I'm hoping to crap George Clooney has already commissioned a screenplay.

this is still one of those things that I am continually shocked made basically no impact on public consciousness

like the Epstein "suicide"

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I feel like I hear a lot more about the Epstein stuff than any of the Panama fallout, but it's way more recent so I guess give it a couple of years.

Seriously though this is gonna be a great movie. Two of the masterminds were planning to escape to Dubai via pleasure yacht! One of them is the prime minister's Chief of Staff! A random taxi driver called Melvin was the lynchpin in the whole scheme!
    I'm already excited.

tynic on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

this is still one of those things that I am continually shocked made basically no impact on public consciousness

like the Epstein "suicide"

The memelords over at Reddit and Imgur have been so dedicated to keeping the Epstein thing alive that it's gotten counterproductive. I'm sick of hearing about it every three posts.

I say that, but even they seem to have forgotten it recently. I guess I haven't really seen any "epstein didn't kill himself" memes for a while, I guess it's true that nothing can trend forever.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I went to Malta on my European OE.

I wish I could say I enjoyed it, but I was pretty tired of travel by the time I got there. I had already seen every kind of historic ruin there was in Europe and it was getting old hat. Even flirting with attractive bikini-clad Austrian girls was just something to fill in the time.

There were also some culture clashes to work through. In Europe I usually tried to learn at least one phrase in the local lingo, even if it was only how to order a large stein of beer in German. In Malta, the phrase I bothered to learn was "Your daughter is 13 and you dress her like a whore", which encapsulates both my impression of the local culture and my immediate reaction to it.

In closing, I was due to fly out of Malta a few days after September 11, 2001 when that happened and I got temporarily trapped in the country while all international air travel got shut down which was really the final cap on an experience that was already teetering pretty close to the edge. Overall I can't say I had a great time, but there were some pretty unique extenuating circumstances.

But I did get to hang out at some ancient Knight fortresses and learn about the Great Siege of Malta and Napkin and WW2 so it wasn't a complete write-off.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Malta is currently a bit of a meme at the moment.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I know about Malta primarily because of Milo Minderbinder buying eggs there for 7 cents each and selling them in Pianosa at 5 cents each for a profit.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I know about Malta primarily because of Milo Minderbinder buying eggs there for 7 cents each and selling them in Pianosa at 5 cents each for a profit.

Wait what

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

this post hurts my head

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

wut

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Wait what

Well you have to think about what "buying" really means
    It was a scam, OK?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Wait what

It was a scam, OK?

Yes, and what

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Wait what

It was a scam, OK?

Yes, and what

The whole deal with The Syndicate (which is Heller's meta-commentary on the military-industrial complex) is that Milo gets paid by the government for the government doing the things that it was doing anyway. He uses commissary funds to buy the eggs for 7 cents, then The Syndicate sells the eggs. The maths makes no sense until you realise that he is stealing the eggs.

The modus operandi of the Syndicate is using the government's money and assets for the Syndicate's profit, and the book narrates several increasingly egregious examples, eg: Milo being contracted by the Germans to attack his own airbase using the air force's own planes. He gets in trouble for this until he reveals what a huge profit he made, because after all...

..."What's good for the Syndicate is good for America!"

(Milo also comments that "The Germans pay their bills a lot more promptly than some people I could mention")

V1m on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Wait what

It was a scam, OK?

Yes, and what

The whole deal with The Syndicate (which is Heller's meta-commentary on the military-industrial complex) is that Milo gets paid by the government for the government doing the things that it was doing anyway. He uses commissary funds to buy the eggs for 7 cents, then The Syndicate sells the eggs. The maths makes no sense until you realise that he is stealing the eggs.

The modus operandi of the Syndicate is using the government's money and assets for the Syndicate's profit, and the book narrates several increasingly egregious examples, eg: Milo being contracted by the Germans to attack his own airbase using the air force's own planes. He gets in trouble for this until he reveals what a huge profit he made, because after all...

..."What's good for the Syndicate is good for America!"

(Milo also comments that "The Germans pay their bills a lot more promptly than some people I could mention")

this sub plot is one of the more entertaining parts of Catch-22

• Options
    Malta is delightfully bonkers but much like Italy (and Catch-22), you have to be in the mood for it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also everyone should read Catch-22

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's going to take me ages to get caught up on Catch 1 to 21 first

• Options

You can't read those until you've read 22.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Pete Buttigieg's dad is from Malta.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't care to know that and I guaruntee I will remember it for the rest of my life

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You can't read those until you've read 22.

Ah jeez. What a pickle. There should be a name for a situation like this.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Joe Don Baker went to Malta in that movie on MST3k!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

No no that's a malt SHOP you're thinking of.

Is Mitchell a worse movie than Final Justice or are they both the worst in their own special way?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

No no that's a malt SHOP you're thinking of.

Is Mitchell a worse movie than Final Justice or are they both the worst in their own special way?

yep!

This discussion has been closed.