As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread: Back to your backlogs

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    It here. What I do wif it?

5131tfuwm57t.jpg

Might just go the "baptism of fire" route and try to play a Total War with it.

Spoiler: I'll still be rubbish at it :lol:

That pad is different from traditional controllers you're used to. I say start with Pong and move up from there.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

5131tfuwm57t.jpg

That pad is different from traditional controllers you're used to. I say start with Pong and move up from there.

I get the feeling the trackpads could work rather well for Pong!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    That, and it was the console FPS that was worth a damn. Here on PC, we are - or were, at the time - pretty spoiled for choice, but here was a Triple-A level game on the Xbox, and Microsoft definitely got their moneyhat's worth from Bungie.

This in particular. It's been quite a while since I played Halo on PC, but I don't recall being especially impressed by it in comparison to Half-Life, TRON 2.0, or any number of other late-90s, early 00s PC exclusive shooters. But I've pretty much always been a PC gamer. OTOH, it was an absolute revelation on consoles, and the Xbox's built in support for LAN gaming brought FPS multiplayer to a massive new audience.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    That, and it was the console FPS that was worth a damn. Here on PC, we are - or were, at the time - pretty spoiled for choice, but here was a Triple-A level game on the Xbox, and Microsoft definitely got their moneyhat's worth from Bungie.

This in particular. It's been quite a while since I played Halo on PC, but I don't recall being especially impressed by it in comparison to Half-Life, TRON 2.0, or any number of other late-90s, early 00s PC exclusive shooters. But I've pretty much always been a PC gamer. OTOH, it was an absolute revelation on consoles, and the Xbox's built in support for LAN gaming brought FPS multiplayer to a massive new audience.

*Cough* Golden Eye *cough*

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited December 2019
    oh, just reminded myself of Golden Eye Source

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Turok and Goldeneye showed that FPS were possible (and had an audience), while Halo streamlined the experience to make it great. CoD MW2 took the genre to the masses and we never looked back.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »

*Cough* Golden Eye *cough*
    Yeah but like, Halo is an FPS you can play today and it won't feel fucked up compared to modern FPSes, and I'm not sure that's the case with Golden Eye.

edited December 2019

5131tfuwm57t.jpg

I get the feeling the trackpads could work rather well for Pong!

Quoting myself here because @bloodatonement decided that I needed to actually conduct this experiment, but was missing one vital piece of equipment:

agju0jvd3dnj.png

Many thanks for Atari Vault! Retro goodness awaits! <3

(Pong being nearly fifty years old melts my brain a little bit.)

It's worth noting that Atari Vault actually supports the Steam Controller natively, so clearly this is the way to go. I imagine stuff like Missile Command in particular will be ideal for it too!

Jazz on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Missile Command can fuck right off.

Them's fightin' words.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Them's fightin' words.
    Missiles are his weakness!

He can't command them!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Them's fightin' words.

More like Them's Fightin' Herds!

An excellent fighting game now available on Steam! With character designs by Lauren Faust and using the Skullgirls engine!

Highly recommended!

Here's some tournament play of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_ebREjrYA

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited December 2019
    Initial Steam Controller reports, as tested with Atari Vault arcade games:

Pong is good with it. Instantly logical use of the trackpads, although you only need one. The haptics are interesting but less strong than I'd anticipated. (This might be due to a combination of years of traditional rumble, and also that my phone (LG V30)'s excellent haptics are pretty strong if turned up, which they are.)

Missile Command is not good with it at first play, but that might just be that the sensitivity is set too low. I was expecting the crosshair to scoot across the screen a lot faster, like spinning the trackball fast. I immediately switched to using the stick, so might as well have used an Xbox controller. But I still like the game (although, again, I am crap at it).

The controller itself having no storage space for the tiny dongle seems like a glaring oversight.

Jazz on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The controller itself having no storage space for the tiny dongle seems like a glaring oversight.

This is basically my one gripe, ever, for that controller. Mainly because I have two here, but one has it's dongle in . . .a box that I tossed it into when we were moving, and after around 2 years I'm still not sure which box that is, making the controller useless unless I plug it in with a cord, which can cause connection issues after a while if you regularly play with that cord hanging for my average play session.

i.e. 4-6 hours if I can get it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My PC case has a hidden drawer in the front of it where like a floppy drive would have gone in the days of yore, which is super duper handy for things like controller dongles, flash drives, etc.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited December 2019
    My PC case has a hidden drawer in the front of it where like a floppy drive would have gone in the days of yore, which is super duper handy for things like controller dongles, flash drives, etc.

I like it! Useful things to do with floppy drive bays! :+1:

My PC is still my (admittedly huge) laptop. While this reduces the number of storage cubby holes for small peripherals, it does at least mean I have built-in Bluetooth to fall back on should the need arise. The Steam Controller needed a firmware update to be able to use it (a process that was needlessly finicky), but that's done now and it works. I already was going back and forth on using Bluetooth or the official wireless dongle for my Xbox One controller on PC, as it happens. Since I'm using the same controller between my Xbox and PC, whenever I switch machines, it needs re-pairing with the PC if on Bluetooth, which is annoying because I have to get the PC to forget it first and then go through a full Windows re-pairing every time (whereas with the Xbox I just press the Sync button on the console and the controller and it does it all itself - also how the Xbox wireless dongle for PC works). But at least the two dongles are kind of optional if I'm only using the one controller at a time.

The Xbox dongle is much, much bigger - over four times the size of the Steam Controller dongle - which I now appreciate gives it the extra function of making it much harder to lose. The Steam one really is tiddly, it's not that long ago that wireless mouse dongles were bigger. At least the Steam controller came with not just a USB cable, but also a surprisingly heavy little dock for the dongle, so I'll keep that lot all plugged in together for safekeeping when it's not in use.

Kalnaur wrote: »

This is basically my one gripe, ever, for that controller. Mainly because I have two here, but one has it's dongle in . . .a box that I tossed it into when we were moving, and after around 2 years I'm still not sure which box that is, making the controller useless unless I plug it in with a cord, which can cause connection issues after a while if you regularly play with that cord hanging for my average play session.

At least there is a facility to pair a Steam Controller with a new dongle if you can get hold of one. Does each dongle only work with one controller at once? I assume so, but I'm not sure.

Jazz on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I figured this was the case, but that's still super disappointing.

Bummer. I have way, way more hype and interest in Valley of the Gods than some VR Half-life or DOTA bullshit. :evil:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That's perhaps a less reassuring statement than they intended, which is basically them saying "Yeah we got distracted by all this other stuff we care more about"

Why kill yourself making your own game when you can just coast and work on stuff you already like?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That's perhaps a less reassuring statement than they intended, which is basically them saying "Yeah we got distracted by all this other stuff we care more about"

Why kill yourself making your own game when you can just coast and work on stuff you already like?

Citation needed.

(Sorry, that tripped up my "lazy devs" bugaboo)

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Is that like the hidden cup holder?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

Is that like the hidden cup holder?

And the foot pedal.

Kalnaur wrote: »

At least there is a facility to pair a Steam Controller with a new dongle if you can get hold of one. Does each dongle only work with one controller at once? I assume so, but I'm not sure.[/quote]

I believe it can only be synced with one dongle at a time. But, and I think most people forget this since it comes with the dongle, it can also do bluetooth. Though I believe it only does one BT device at a time.

You can switch between BT and dongle mode when you turn it, and it remembers what mode it was in last. I find this quite nice for switching between my desktop with the dongle, and Steamlink on my phone.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I believe it can only be synced with one dongle at a time. But, and I think most people forget this since it comes with the dongle, it can also do bluetooth. Though I believe it only does one BT device at a time.

You can switch between BT and dongle mode when you turn it, and it remembers what mode it was in last. I find this quite nice for switching between my desktop with the dongle, and Steamlink on my phone.

I didn't actually know they could do Bluetooth. That might be helpful.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited December 2019
    I believe it can only be synced with one dongle at a time.

I meant if one dongle could support two controllers simultaneously.

The Xbox dongle supports I think four simultaneously? But Bluetooth only supports one. So that's a point in favour of the dongle on the Xbox side of things if that's something you'll ever use (relatively rare on PC, I know).

(Edit: looked it up, the Xbox dongle actually supports eight controllers simultaneously plus up to four Xbox One chat headsets or two Xbox One stereo headsets. Blimey, that's a lot.)

(Edit edit: the Steam Controller dongle supports four controllers simultaneously. Nice! I assume the Bluetooth limit is also one, though.)

Jazz on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Valve swallows another one. Maybe we'll get lucky like with Alien Swarm and in four years they'll release a pared down version before spending the rest of their lives in the hat mines.

s7Imn5J.png
    edited December 2019
    I must admit I quite like using the controller for navigating around Windows (so long as Steam is running). Once I figured out the left trackpad uses a circular motion for scrolling webpages, at least.

It's just missing a middle mouse click binding by default, I think? For opening a page in a new tab, for example. (Edit: nope, it's click left trackpad.)

Jazz on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Decided to peruse my Humble keys and it looks like two more games from past Humble Monthly Bundles have gotten keys added:

Macdows 95 (June 2019)
    Kind Words (July 2019)

I got this when I tried to get the key for Macdows 95, though:
    nh6ni2y448ya.png

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There are 161k concurrent in Halo MCC just on Steam right now (3rd most played). Would be interesting to see the Gamepass/Win store numbers.

Dirtyboy on
    Wow. None too shabby.

Wait, which Halo is getting the most play? Or are all maps shared across the MCC?

edited December 2019
    Wait, which Halo is getting the most play? Or are all maps shared across the MCC?

Right now it's just Reach on PC. The other games will roll out over time.

The full MCC will include all the multi maps from all the individual games; there are playlists which take in multiple games.

I liked how imaginitive some of the multiplayer level design in Halo 1 was. They just kind of threw everything at the wall with that one to see what would stick. Obviously Blood Gulch became the classic map, with Sidewinder and Battle Creek running close behind, but I really liked the crazy ideas like Boarding Action as well. I've never seen a map like that anywhere else - some might say with good reason, but I like that it's so different and off-the-wall. Hang 'Em High and Longest were cool too.

Jazz on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @spoit is a monster and thinks that escaping the steam sale means to clip some snips on switch. Thank you sir, this looks goofy as hell and pefect!

tn6mvvF.png

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

The full MCC will include all the multi maps from all the individual games; there are playlists which take in multiple games.

I liked how imaginitive some of the multiplayer level design in Halo 1 was. They just kind of threw everything at the wall with that one to see what would stick. Obviously Blood Gulch became the classic map, with Sidewinder and Battle Creek running close behind, but I really liked the crazy ideas like Boarding Action as well. I've never seen a map like that anywhere else - some might say with good reason, but I like that it's so different and off-the-wall. Hang 'Em High and Longest were cool too.

Hang em high with pistols was the best.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Hang em high with pistols was the best.

which map had the pumas on it

5gsowHm.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYQ6ohdrBQ

The last tutorial for this dead hardware.

That made me half-expect something like the old Spectrum classic, Skool Daze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCjgUNz6bQ

Mugsley wrote: »
    Some of you may find this intriguing

JaysonFour RoyceSraphim "Pixelated Pixie" Karoz

People who post tweets without quoting the tweet for people for whom embedded tweets won't display are the worst sort of people and should be gifted mercilessly until they see the error of their ways.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do something on the Steam store. For reasons.

WTF does that tweet say???

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited December 2019
    From IsThereAnyDeal:

And while #SchoolWars didn't make it on Kickstarter @AnnikaMaar assured me they're not leaving the game unfinished :)

Check the early demo https://annikamaar.itch.io/school-wars-early-demo

and consider wishlisting the game https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158220/School_Wars/

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.