As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    His own team members apparently altered his sniper rifle so he couldn’t as easily kill people for no reason and even fired warning shots in situations where they thought he was going to.

What the fuck is wrong with our military? They all knew he was a war criminal piece of shit and they kept him out there to keep committing war crimes? His whole chain of command should be purged.

I mean should have been done sooner, but he was tried by the military

Trump reversed it

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    His own team members apparently altered his sniper rifle so he couldn’t as easily kill people for no reason and even fired warning shots in situations where they thought he was going to.

What the fuck is wrong with our military? They all knew he was a war criminal piece of shit and they kept him out there to keep committing war crimes? His whole chain of command should be purged.

But it seems like that's exactly what they tried to do. That's why there's this whole situation with Trump overruling them.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    shryke wrote: »

But it seems like that's exactly what they tried to do. That's why there's this whole situation with Trump overruling them.

When were they altering his sniper rifle and firing warning shots? Did all of that plus him murdering a person occur at the same time? Or was it spread out over time? Because if it was spread out, they let someone they thought might commit a war crime stay in a position to commit a war crime and are just as culpable.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • notyanotya Registered User regular
    I think The Daily had an episode about this prior to Trump's reversal or even the completion of the military trial and it sounded like their squad went up the chain of command with their complaints and accusations and kept being told "you don't want to go down this path." basically. They knew it would look bad and didn't want to do shit.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There are some really disturbing excerpts of emails of his that have been released where he says he doesn't care what kind of living conditions or environment he's subject to for missions he just wants to kill as many people as possible, and another where he's talking about a custom knife of his and hopes he gets to bury it in someones skull soon.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There are some really disturbing excerpts of emails of his that have been released where he says he doesn't care what kind of living conditions or environment he's subject to for missions he just wants to kill as many people as possible, and another where he's talking about a custom knife of his and hopes he gets to bury it in someones skull soon.

So glad he was allowed to retire with full benefits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Respekdatroops.

The prosecutors in Gallaghers case. You know, the people just doing their jobs?

Trump has ordered medals they've been awarded for their work taken away from them.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Is that something the next president can undo?

What am I saying the presidency makes one a god king the next one can do whatever they want.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Is that something the next president can undo?

What am I saying the presidency makes one a god king the next one can do whatever they want.

I honestly have no idea. And I doubt any president would do it because the idea of one guy awarding you things and the next one pulling them would be a freaking nightmare.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Every time I find out something new about Gallagher, I feel like Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes; just this low guttural frustration from the pain, yet I know I can’t really do anything about, so I step past it into another fucking rake, ad infinitum.

This guy needs to go.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Every time I find out something new about Gallagher, I feel like Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes; just this low guttural frustration from the pain, yet I know I can’t really do anything about, so I step past it into another fucking rake, ad infinitum.

This guy needs to go.

He already retired, now he'll tour with Trump in 2020.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

All of what you wrote is catnip for the base, can see a Trump rally with everybody jizzing themselves at the presence of the Ultimate Alpha Male Apex Predator Of Muslims.

Specially Trump. Hell, I see Gallagher making a go for public office.

TryCatcher on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

It's probably only a matter of time until he kills someone else. And then he'll probably get a position on fox news

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The prosecutors in Gallaghers case. You know, the people just doing their jobs?

Trump has ordered medals they've been awarded for their work taken away from them.

What a fuckface

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Got a link?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The only link I can find is Fox News, so, forewarned.

I think this happened a while ago though, the dateline's July 31...
    President Trump on Wednesday directed the Navy to rescind medals that had been awarded to the lawyers who prosecuted Edward "Eddie" Gallagher, just weeks after a jury in San Diego found the Navy SEAL not guilty on six of seven charges for his connection to the killing of a teenage Islamic State member in Iraq.

"The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal," Trump tweeted. "Not only did they lose the case, they had difficulty with respect to information that may have been obtained from opposing lawyers and for giving immunity in a totally incompetent fashion."

The president added: "I have directed the Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer & Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson to immediately withdraw and rescind the awards."

Navy officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the case, said the Navy secretary is authorized to pull such awards and would be doing so.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought if he took a Pardon, it means they won?

Yeah he did that months ago, but with Gallagher in the news again I thought it was appropriate to bring up just how fucking obvious and petty he can be.

Tastyfish wrote: »

Gallagher didn't need to be pardoned. There was some ridiculous bullshit in his trial and he was not court martialed. Trump just intervened to get him all his badges and stuff back that had been stripped prior to the court martial.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    He also pardoned 2 others who were convicted by military tribunals at the same time, though

Gallagher didn't need to be pardoned. There was some ridiculous bullshit in his trial and he was not court martialed. Trump just intervened to get him all his badges and stuff back that had been stripped prior to the court martial.

For those that don't know the prosecutions star witness was offered immunity for his testimony and then when his time on the stand came up he flipped on them and testified out of the blue that *he* killed the detainee in question and not Gallagher.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I mean, Trump is kind of right that the prosecutors fucked up. They gave immunity to a witness who then claimed he did it on the stand despite saying previously it was Gallagher. Of course, Trump thinks it was them fucking up because they gave immunity to the actual criminal instead of what really happened, which was them giving immunity to someone who then lied on the stand.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png

For those that don't know the prosecutions star witness was offered immunity for his testimony and then when his time on the stand came up he flipped on them and testified out of the blue that *he* killed the detainee in question and not Gallagher.

Wow

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Wow

Yeah, guy was a medic in the unit that said he killed the kid by obstructing the trach-tube he had put in because Gallagher stabbed the guy in the throat!.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Isnt a flip like that something that would be grounds to revoke the immunity?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Now now, no takesies backsies

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Why did that guy need immunity?

For just standing there while Gallagher slashed the dude’s throat?

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Docshifty wrote: »

What could possibly make him rescind his testimony against a man who has the desire and training to kill people? I mean, I'm racking my brains here. He would have to have an extremely compelling reason to drop that immunity and not testify against a ruthless killing machine that knows his face, name, and possibly where lives, if he has family, and myriad other details soldiers on the battlefield may share.

Am I missing something obvious?

Edit: I realize this could come off as aggressive towards Docshifty. That is not my intent.

Nobeard on
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

What could possibly make him rescind his testimony against a man who has the desire and training to kill people? I mean, I'm racking my brains here. He would have to have an extremely compelling reason to drop that immunity and not testify against a ruthless killing machine that knows his face, name, and possibly where lives, if he has family, and myriad other details soldiers on the battlefield may share.

Am I missing something obvious?

He's saying why did the prosecutor not have a clause in the immunity deal stipulating that it was void if he changed his testimony.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Sure but Gallagher is exactly the type of person a witness shoul be legitimately afraid of

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

There were two charges - the major one for killing the prisoner, and a minor one for taking a photo posing with the body and posting it to social media.

The major charge was dropped due to the medic changing his testimony to the uncorroborated version where the medic was responsible for the death, but Gallagher was still convicted on the second charge.

Gallagher was potentially going to be booted with the demotion and loss of seal pin until Trump intervened.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    To also add re: immunity deal, my understanding is that it was always an undisputed fact that Gallagher used his knife on the prisoner, and that the medic was administering treatment when Gallagher did so and made no attempt to prevent it - making the medic potentially accessory to murder.

In addition, other members of the team also participated in taking photos with the dead prisoner, although I believe Gallagher is the only one who posted his to social media.

Everyone present was potentially exposed to charges - a prisoner died in their care, and they celebrated the fact - so the prosecution made a deal to focus on the guy who did the stabbing.

The defense was that the prisoner was already dead when the stabbing occurred, which relied on two key pillars:

1 - The testimony of non-expert Iraqi witnesses who said he was in "a bad way" when they dropped him off. This was refuted by expert witness testimony from a second US medic who treated the prisoner for superficial leg wounds when the prisoner first arrived.

2 - That Gallagher had a reputation for macho bullshit to make himself look good. The argument was that the worst complaints about Gallagher (killing 20 people in one day, shooting unarmed women from long distance etc. ) were lies started by Gallagher himself to build a "badass" reputation, and stabbing a corpse to claim "credit" for the kill is consistent with that pattern of behaviour.

You know your defense is bad when it relies on your reputation as a lying asshole being true.

The medic's revised testimony was that Gallagher stabbed the prisoner after he was already dead from asphyxiation, which was consistent with the defense argument while at the same time being a complete surprise to the defense lawyers.

My guess is that there was no coroner's report or equivalent on cause of death which may have shown if the knife wounds were pre or post mortem. If such a report were in the works it's unlikely the defense would have relied on an "already dead" story that could have been relatively easily disproved. However, the medic is exposed to perjury charges if it does eventually turn out the prisoner wasn't dead when Gallagher stabbed him, since that wasn't part of the immunity deal.

I'm assuming that because Gallagher was found guilty on the minor charge that double jeopardy applies, so he's free and clear regardless (I believe the presidential pardon only applies to the charge for which he was convicted, not the murder charge).

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    You’re never gonna get a coroner’s report from a non-US service member that dies in the field. If the prisoner died in a hospital or prison, maybe, but never out in the field.

At best, you’ll get a DA 1156 (casualty feeder card) that everyone is supposed to carry a couple on them (with one being prefilled out with your own information, and you guys wonder why I’m so optimistic about life).

But anyhow, the 1156 is just a summary of events and basic information on the casualty, nowhere in the same universe as a coroner’s report and I assume the body was disposed of within 24 hours as is usually the case.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    WSJ reporter:
    "I don't want to comment on that, but the answer is no.”—President Trump, on whether he supports the protesters in Iran.
    That is kind of weird given how much Trump hates Iran.

Edit: AP reporter:
    Trump cleans up his answer on Iran protests, says he thought question was about financial support. “We do support them totally and have supported them since the beginning”
    So just him being a fool.

Couscous on
    He doesn't know anything about that. He just heard Iran and his mush brain went "Iran=Bad" and he reflexively said "No."

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    WSJ reporter:
    "I don't want to comment on that, but the answer is no.”—President Trump, on whether he supports the protesters in Iran.
    That is kind of weird given how much Trump hates Iran.

That makes less sense than normal for Trump. I'm going to assume that Trump Tower Tehran is a go.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't want to comment on that, but here's a comment.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I don't want to comment on that, but here's a comment.

Trump does that all the time.

I can't comment about [blank] because the media, but [comment about blank].

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I feel like the "cleaned up answer" bringing up the concept of covert financial support of Iranian protesters is...not a good look? Like, I'm definitely considering the possibility that we're bankrolling them now and wasn't before.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.