As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scorpions and Shujenga: Tabletop Games Folded 1000 Times

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »
    What I want out of the druid (and honestly, many other classes) is a person who is magical but not a spellcaster

Yeah, they can talk to the trees and turn into a bear, there's no question that they have some level of supernatural ability

But their magic is not rote magic, it's something else

So D&D 5E-REDUX has two options to go about making a Druid. The first is taking the Green Mage basic archetype for the Mage class, which gives you access to nature spells and a variety of nature-based abilities (talk to animals and later on plants as well). The second is my Primalist class, which instead of having spellcasting uses the Incarnum sub-system from 3.5 (in which you bind the spirits of monsters to grant yourself abilities) and has basic archetypes which have abilities like wildshape, beast companions, and other classic Druid abilities.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My campaign is close to ending. The players have sabotaged a would-be lich, escaped the Underdark, possibly sparked the start of World War !2, saved the king of !France, "escaped" the Fae Queen, built an airship, and sailed to the New World. One part of ending the campaign is that they're almost to the City of Angels with their package - the fetch quest complete. Another is the fact that I have trouble challenging parties in DND as they reach the higher levels.

Today's encounter was being attack by a helicopter full of Mad Max style Detroit hooligans. Yeet cannon to shoot guys over, dabs and memes, pop culture references...an ambush by (gasp!) Youth Culture!

This worked great for flavor. Mad Max heavy metal, Terry Crews showing up as the pilot, etc. Mechanically? About as challenging as Wisconsin cheese. Frustrating how the fine line between "enough damage to test the party" and "a TPK with a handful of rolls" is so slim in this system.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    TIL that my best friend's long time girlfriend, who has been playing board games with us for like two years now, has thought this entire time that when we say, "worker placement", we've been saying, "work replacement"

First, how dare she, and second, ok fair

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    TIL that my best friend's long time girlfriend, who has been playing board games with us for like two years now, has thought this entire time that when we say, "worker placement", we've been saying, "work replacement"

First, how dare she, and second, ok fair

I confess that's what I heard the first time somebody said it too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Had my first legitimate player death as a DM. strategically it was probably sound. A player died but they most likely avoided a TPK by focusing on the enemies. They were only level 3 but were still broken up about it a bit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Had my first legitimate player death as a DM. strategically it was probably sound. A player died but they most likely avoided a TPK by focusing on the enemies. They were only level 3 but were still broken up about it a bit.

It’s tough when a player dies regardless of what level their character is... but I guess it’s good that your group is taking it so well.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    So my tiny rules light game is now fable and fairy tale themed, with the following classes, such as they are:
    The Knight, The Wise, The Jack, The Beast, The Fairest, The Heir, The Exile, The Cold, The Dancer, The Omen, and The Star.

With the main caveat being you swap classes completely whenever you hit a story beat. So you might start out as the Knight (I have a mission to accomplish) which leads you to become Cold (something awful has filled me up and is spilling out) and end up as the Dancer (I accept myself but avoid consequences).

Aragon from Lord of the Rings in this set up could be Exile as a ranger > Wise to the hobbits > Knight of the fellowship > Heir to the crown of man.

Anyways, on topic, the last character I had die was in my Glamjin’s Tower of Glory game, and it was HELLA RAD. The player @Grog was a skeleton demon prince and they died single handily fending off an army of corrupt fae so their pals could escape.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So my tiny rules light game is now fable and fairy tale themed, with the following classes, such as they are:
    The Knight, The Wise, The Jack, The Beast, The Fairest, The Heir, The Exile, The Cold, The Dancer, The Omen, and The Star.
    This just makes me think of an RPG designed around a tarot deck.

I mean, that's such an obvious idea that I'm sure it's already been done a dozen times, but still.

Everyone gets a deck to represent their character. The Minor Arcana are your attributes - the suits are your stats, draw or pick a card of each suit and that's your attribute in that stat; make decks from the remaining cards of each suit and draw from those decks whenever you have to test a stat (so you draw through all the values of a suit before you reshuffle the suit's deck). Draw or pick from the Major Arcana, that's your class; the remaining Major Arcana are used to trigger special abilities, as narrative currency, or what have you.

BRB, drawing up the plans for a Kickstarter.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've seen it around a bit, yeah. The first example that pops to mind is Royal Blood, a game in which the face card players attempt to heist the magical power away from a member of the major arcana - essentially stealing godhood for themselves.

• Options
    Ah, of course, it would be a Rowan, Rook and Decard high-concept game.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's... interesting. Like a lot of Grant Howitt's games, I don't think it really provides enough information for the GM. Which for me makes it less of a game and more of a collection of cool ideas, especially given its freeform and high concept nature.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think one of the casting classes in Deadlands uses a real deck of cards

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It's... interesting. Like a lot of Grant Howitt's games, I don't think it really provides enough information for the GM. Which for me makes it less of a game and more of a collection of cool ideas, especially given its freeform and high concept nature.
    Yeah, I think a lot of his games are like a sprint following a burst of inspiration, without as much supporting framework around that as you'd want.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think one of the casting classes in Deadlands uses a real deck of cards

I don't know the current version or anything, but Deadlands has regularly used playing cards throughout the game.

Personally I don't think the mechanic that cards provide really suits the sort of action that they're going for there, but I'm also extremely grouchy about the fact that playing cards are inextricably associated with the Wild West, despite being a core component of western society since the middle ages.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Huckster is the best and most interesting bit of Deadlands

Hoyle was actually a wizard, and he coded his magic into his book of games, and utilizing magic/hexes involves communicating mentally with spirits and beating them at games of skill or cunning, for which Hoyle preferred Poker

So PC Hucksters have essentially figured out the coded diagrams and spells in Hoyle's Book of Games, and use that with playing cards to manipulate spirits into creating hexes

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I was tasked with making a character for a game of Vampire the Masquerade and I created a gossip blogger named Melvin

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Really though, I don't have a ton of knowledge of the setting, which makes it a little harder to play around with standard character types the way it would be for me in something like D&D. But I do have...some knowledge of vampire cliches and I, you know, don't really want to play a sexy dracula, or whatever, and I think...someone who makes it his business to know secrets would be an interesting person to turn loose in a world extremely built on secrecy.

The game asks you some interesting questions in character creation, like...trying to figure out what ties this asshole to humanity is definitely a tougher question than I'd anticipated, and is maybe making him a little more noble than I'd anticipated? Like, I went from, "maybe this guy's like Mark Zuckerberg if he got turned into a vampire between when he uploaded that hot or not website and when he actually built facebook, AKA an immoral dweeb asshole," to, "maybe this guy's like...he's definitely the kind of person that would have uploaded Hulk Hogan's sextape because it's got Hulk Hogan saying a bunch of racist shit on it," like, someone with some sort of moral principles who is also kind of an asshole? I think probably it's somewhere in between, but I generally don't have to think of this sort of thing when I'm making, like, a culturally appropriative human noble who loves elf culture too much.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Really though, I don't have a ton of knowledge of the setting, which makes it a little harder to play around with standard character types the way it would be for me in something like D&D. But I do have...some knowledge of vampire cliches and I, you know, don't really want to play a sexy dracula, or whatever, and I think...someone who makes it his business to know secrets would be an interesting person to turn loose in a world extremely built on secrecy.

The game asks you some interesting questions in character creation, like...trying to figure out what ties this asshole to humanity is definitely a tougher question than I'd anticipated, and is maybe making him a little more noble than I'd anticipated? Like, I went from, "maybe this guy's like Mark Zuckerberg if he got turned into a vampire between when he uploaded that hot or not website and when he actually built facebook, AKA an immoral dweeb asshole," to, "maybe this guy's like...he's definitely the kind of person that would have uploaded Hulk Hogan's sextape because it's got Hulk Hogan saying a bunch of racist shit on it," like, someone with some sort of moral principles who is also kind of an asshole? I think probably it's somewhere in between, but I generally don't have to think of this sort of thing when I'm making, like, a culturally appropriative human noble who loves elf culture too much.

Easy answer: Nosferatu

Hard answer: Ventrue

Secret correct answer: Brujah

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I feel like a nice thing about Vampire (and some of the other World/Chronicles of Darkness games) is that you don't need to invest a lot of energy in coming up with some kind of gimmick if you don't want to. You can jst come up with a regular-ass person from a regular walk of life and go "boom, now you're a vampire/werewoof/whatever. What do you do now?" and you've got an interesting story hook.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah they're good like that

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    For sure if I ever get into a vampire or werewolf game im playing the guy that's new here

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I was tasked with making a character for a game of Vampire the Masquerade and I created a gossip blogger named Melvin

Make sure you speak only in clickbait headline form like the worst possible Etrigan the Demon.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm so my next D&D character is going to be a Loxadon Paladin. I have a solid back story set but I have no idea what kind of mount shows up when I cast Summon Steed? Whats even big enough?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Off the cuff Vampire concepts:

Hammer Horror fan who goes all in with the Christopher Lee vibe and can't believe their luck that vampires exist

University astronomy lecturer who teaches at night "so we can look at the stars in their natural environment" and preys on frat houses

Uber driver, uses Mesmerise to get invited to parties and also to get 5* ratings

Ex tax inspector who preys on business owners who avoid taxes (bit of self-insert wish fulfilment there)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    playin' some D&D tomorrow

either gonna get to play my first session as Milo Beansworth, Boy Detective

or do a session 0 for my new campaign, THE CURSE OF THE NECROMANCER'S DOOM

depending on whether or not my friend prepares

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Make sure you speak only in clickbait headline form like the worst possible Etrigan the Demon.
    "The Prince of town had sent a sext - you won't believe what happened next!"

"We interviewed the Tremere Justicar
    in his illustrious New York haven
    to get his predictions about the Red Star.
    You will be shocked by number seven!"

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Most of my favourite CofD characters have been "regular person who got into something weird and now is a Mage or whatever"

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hmm so my next D&D character is going to be a Loxadon Paladin. I have a solid back story set but I have no idea what kind of mount shows up when I cast Summon Steed? Whats even big enough?

A regular-sized pony. Find Steed indicates the mount is “unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal” so you could lean into that if you wanted to.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Giant tortoise on roller skates

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I've always played the New Guy in World of Darkness games, because I haven't read much of the lore and stuff, so I can approach everything like it's fresh and new.

also if you're a nerd and have any amount of game, a Vampire LARP is the place to go, I've never been to one around here that wasn't like, 3 to 1 ladies to dudes.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Watching the Mandalorian is giving me a real strong urge to finally try out Edge of the Empire. I assume that's probably the best of the three for emulating the feel of the show?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Watching the Mandalorian is giving me a real strong urge to finally try out Edge of the Empire. I assume that's probably the best of the three for emulating the feel of the show?

There's a video of the PA crew playing Edge of the Empire at a PAX, it seems like a fun system.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yup. To really get the show you probably want to leave most of the other stuff out as it feels firmly just in the Edge sphere. (Yes, Boda has force stuff but he really wouldn't be a PC so much as a walking Obligation.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Yes indeed. It's great.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

An even bigger elephant

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Yeah, Edge of the Empire is for running games of smugglers, bounty hunters, and other folks living on the fringes of galactic society.

Age of Rebellion is Rebels vs Imperials.

Force & Destiny is everyone being Force-users.

If you're new to the system I would recommend nobody start with any Force Rating, because the Force powers are a whole extra chapter of rules and stuff that nobody needs to understand if they stent using the Force powers. Let everyone get used to how the dice system works, how to do personal and ship combat, etc., and then if they want to they can buy into a Force Rating-providing specialization later on.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I really wanna try and play less D&D soon.. Not because I don't like D&D anymore but because there's so many other RPGs I want to try!

Star Trek RPG, more Infinity RPG, more Ryuutama, Edge of the Empire... whole bunch of other rad stuff

would also love to try Monsterhearts sometime

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My group just wrapped up our Tomb of Annihilation campaign

I've proposed that we give Blades in the Dark a shot next instead of going right back to more DnD, and I've offered to run it (and will probably be the only one who'll have read much of the rules). A lot of stuff about DnD frustrates me so I'm excited to try another system. Nervous though because I've never GM'd before or really played an RP heavy game. Don't really know how well I'll do with the needed improvisation and creativity, but gotta just dive right in to get a feel for it.

No idea how it'll go with the group. When I first brought up playing a game other than DnD the response I got was "what, like Pathfinder?", so they definitely don't have much of a sense of what else is out there in tabletop. Not a very character narrative focused group (one is a very min maxer mechanics focused player), so it may end up being a total flop. I'll have to do a lot of focused prodding at people for contributions to hopefully get them in the right mindset.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah, Edge of the Empire is for running games of smugglers, bounty hunters, and other folks living on the fringes of galactic society.

Age of Rebellion is Rebels vs Imperials.

Force & Destiny is everyone being Force-users.

If you're new to the system I would recommend nobody start with any Force Rating, because the Force powers are a whole extra chapter of rules and stuff that nobody needs to understand if they stent using the Force powers. Let everyone get used to how the dice system works, how to do personal and ship combat, etc., and then if they want to they can buy into a Force Rating-providing specialization later on.

Yeah one of the things I really like about the show is how little Force-use there is. Makes it feel a lot more grounded and makes the Force itself seem much more mystical. Plus after playing D&D 5E up to level 15 (by the time I wrap the campaign), I think it'll be a nice break for my players to not have to deal with a bunch of magic powers for a while.

What's the general consensus on the Edge of the Empire beginner box? That's all I have at this point and I'm hoping it's a decent introduction to see if we'll click with the system.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm in the middle of my second Monsterhearts game and it is absolutely fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.