As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Did they alter animals and/or combat? Maybe it's a mod but in general I feel considerably weaker; notably i feel like I take a lot more damage.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    You might want to look at some of the server modifiers. There are a couple of knobs that admins can turn that will adjust this. Enemy Damage and Player Damage Taken.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    If you didn't see the Dev stream yesterday (9/26/19). They are adding a new dungeon, and at the end of the stream in the background a horse with a rider ran by. Then they announced this morning that mounts are coming to Conan exiles in December.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    I did not see that. I've been barely paying attention to Conan at all lately.

My server is still running, but I don't think anyone is playing on it right now. After that big surge of interest last summer during the Play-Free weekend on Steam, everyone's interest seems to have waned big time.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I still fondly think of the game and will probably play again some time, but I have no interest in PVP and (unless they made some big changes over the last year or so) there wasn't really much to do from a PvE perspective once you've reached the end game.

Horses are cool though.

Actually, nearly everything they have added in the last year is PVE. They have added 2-3 more dungeons depending on how far you're looking back. They have been re-working thrall camps to have better thralls, and better loot when you kill thralls. They added a new Power Shard system which allows you to farm items that unlock additional perk points, enabling a person to eventually learn every recipe in the game with enough farming. They have added new pets. They rebalanced the volcano area. They rebalanced the Unnamed City area.

Like, pretty much all of the changes to the game have been PVE focused.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    My server is still running, but I don't think anyone is playing on it right now. After that big surge of interest last summer during the Play-Free weekend on Steam, everyone's interest seems to have waned big time.

I have been playing on my server as yours wiped every free standing (dancers, archers, fighters) thrall in the game. Had a really cool mountain base going up by the northern lake. Then after the last big update, it doesn't even show up on the server list anymore.

edited September 2019
    The server host I use, Survival Servers, is really bad about server reboots after patches. My server is set to restart every day at 6AM, and it should always apply patches when it restarts, but I have found that to be very inconsistent and more often than not I have to kick them off manually. Also, sometimes the server is just shut off for some reason, which I find totally unacceptable that I can't even rely on that service to keep my server on and running. I should not have to load into my admin panel and tell the server to turn on.

In summary, I am very dissatisfied with Survival Servers and I would not recommend them to anyone else looking for server hosting.

Lucascraft on
    edited October 2019
    FunCom updated Conan with another PVE pack this last week. It is called "Debautcheries of Derketo" and it adds a lot of RP items into the game, plus some new armors, outfits, and other stuff.

Most notably:

They added treetop platforms, so now you can literally build bases into trees. Finally, a way to play in the jungle biome that makes sense.

Additionally, they added a ton of placeable objects such as items you'd find in bars and taverns, more bed options and room decorations, and all the things you would need to build a brothel of your very own. Plus more RP outfits such as a nobility outfit, innkeeper outfit, and like 3 more armor sets. And golden/bejewelled dancer outfits.

Lucascraft on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Is there still a PA server?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Not that I know of

No PA server, but Lucascraft and myself have private servers.

I actually let mine go just this month. My dissatisfaction with Survival Servers as a host company, plus the fact that the friends I was hosting it for have all quit playing made me decide it was time to drop it.

I'll probably start a new one sometime new-yearsish when the mount update comes out.

Looks like the Mount/Thrall/DLC update goes live 5 Dec. Not sure who is still playing, but I am looking forward to the new Thrall leveling system.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize there were thrall updates coming. I don't really care about mounts, so I've kinda ignored news for this latest update, but I really like the thrall system and have hoped to see it expanded.

Yeah there was a blog post about it, and also the thrall update (and mounts) are on their public test realm if you want to try it out before it goes live.

From memory:
    • Thralls level from 1-20
    • A level 1 new thrall will be stronger than a no-level old thrall
    • Old thralls are not going to retroactively be added to the leveling system
    • This means old thralls are trash (combat thralls)
    • Crafting thralls will be unaffected by this change
    • Thralls are "born" with randomized stat spreads. It sounds like a simplified version of Pokemon's IV system.
    • Getting the perfect thrall with the perfect stat spread will be the new end game. Never stop catching.

Maybe one day I shall return to hire a new army of interns.

But I'd have to do it with friendos and I don't know, the ending for my character leaving the Exile Lands was just perfection IMO.

edited December 2019
    There is also a new thrall/pet limit cap coming with the update. On default servers, the cap is non-clan:50, clan:55-100, depending on member count. This will probably piss off people who do giant fortress builds with hundreds of thralls/pets. It will be adjustable on private servers though.

BitTWist on
    Hopefully they fix some of the long-term thrall disappearance issues. I can have a thrall last for weeks, and then all of a sudden after a patch, or after the server goes down and has to be restarted manually, thralls have just disappeared with no explanation.

There use to be a default server rule where if a thrall/pet owner hadn't logged into the server for 7 days, the thralls would be deleted. With clans, if no clan member had logged in 7 days all clan thralls/pets where deleted. It didn't affect crafting thralls. Not sure if that has changed.

Anyone have good testimonials for server hosting? Who has really good reliability and server uptime? Who has low pings and low lag? Who has servers that actually stay on all the time and don't have to be manually rebooted by the admin every few days for no apparent reason?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I've used g-portal for my Conan server for a long time. It's been pretty near a perfect experience. No ping/lag issues. The server is always up and running fine. It's easy to configure and add Steam workshop mods to and stuff, and will auto-update those mods for you.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited December 2019
    Hopped into my singleplayer game and roamed around a bit. Found a couple horses. They capture like animal cubs do. When you go up to a horse in the wild you can just hit E on it and it goes into your inventory as an item. There's a new structure called a Stable that is essentially exactly the same as the taming pen. But thankfully it is much smaller. You put the horse into the stable, and some fiber, and the cook timer starts just like everything else. I'm not sure if there are foods that produce better horses like there are with the pets. I didn't look that much into it.

They also released a new cosmetics and building pack to coincide with the release of the mounts. There are some horse saddles and horse armors in the pack, plus an entirely new building tileset for building a barn. It also has a few weapons, a new set of player armors for light/medium/heavy, and some new RP placeable objects.

Lucascraft on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Horses are awesome. Horse armor is awesome looking. The mounted combat is a lot of fun. The new "Poitain" knight armor and lances are cool.

Time to start a new character and drop another bazillion hours into this, I think.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    For anyone who has gotten back into this recently for the mounts and updated thrall content, here's a pretty good horse video. It covers pretty much all of the basics. Where to find them. Stats. Food. Colors. All of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jsU8zVLso

edited December 2019
    So with all the updates and awhile since I've played I'm kinda interested in getting a new server up.

While I'm familiar enough with running one, I have not gone through the process of renting one and trying to find one that is affordable but decent for foreign players so it's not a miserable experience. Also how many people would be interested initially so we aren't competiting for spaces though I'm sure the number will drop over time.

Would definitely want some QOL mods as well but I've been out of the loop for far too long. Since most people are still pretty solo players, I'd probably do that mod as well as well as tweak like material collection rates.

Don't want to get people's hopes too far up, just testing the waters.

Edit: Welp, despite the reactions, without real posts I'm doubting people are actually interested in a server. Also the passage of time has reduced the madness that ran through my veins that day.

Karoz on
    I actually fell pretty hard back into this over Christmas break, but I'm just playing by myself. My goal was to do things I haven't done before. So I'm building in new places, trying weapons and skills I haven't tried before, putting a focus on thralls, horses, and leveling them up. And lots of adventuring. There are a bunch of dungeons I've never even set foot in so I'm making it a goal to hit all the stuff that I haven't seen.

Yesterday I went into the Sunken Temple dungeon. That was an ok experience. Got a few new recipes from there.

I've got a named thrall, she's called "Claw of Jebbal Sag" and came from the northern Dogs of War camp (the Den). Each faction seems to have stat priorities and the Dogs aren't specifically that great for being melee pets. But she's the best I've got so far since she's level 4 and named. I need to replace her with a Nordheimer though. They are better suited to being combat thralls.

My next big project is to make a spooky castle/base. I will be using the Frontier tileset, which has the purple glow around the items in the crafting list. It's pretty spooky. A while ago they added the ability to create undead thralls with some recipes in the firebowl cauldron, so I'm gonna make some undead minions to lurk in my spooky castle. If it turns out ok at the end I'll take a video tour of it and post it. But it will take a while cause I'm doing it all without cheating. I'm playing "for real."

I have been helping a friend who just got into Conan with the Christmas sale. While he is leveling up, I am leveling thralls and horses so we can run some of the harder dungeons togther. I am also building a huge keep on the border between the north and desert that uses a lot of the newer building pieces. I realized over the weekend that I am about to hit 1000 hours of playtime.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I'd like to level up a horse but they keep disappearing. I kept hearing the last one for awhile. I think it might have fallen under the world.

I've been working on a little project up north.
    It started off as a small ziggurat built on top of a ruin. I wanted to experiment with the Lemurian Architect building pieces to see what they were like. I liked it so much I kept adding to it. I was going to just have an elevator to access it but there's no space up top for things like a wheel or most of the crafting stations. I decided I wanted a big gate with a bridge to connect them. Then I needed some towers on the ridge to protect the gate. I still needed somewhere to put a well, wheel of pain, crafting stations, etc so I sandwiched a little enclosed space in the middle there.
    prik3456idym.jpg

I redesigned that little courtyard like four or five times trying different layouts but decided there just wasn't enough space.
    q3ld4uwd6o3s.jpg

So I moved the gate to the other side.
    pt9tm1n5znso.jpg
    hi2mbcy84e8k.jpg

Then I threw up some walls.
    kt1t00wulosr.jpg

I moved a couple walls to make more room down by the shore. I'm going to build a little fishing village there. I might have to redesign the lighthouse. Again. This will be the fourth time I've rebuilt it. I've become exceedingly efficient at it.
    rfdolhxr5rd8.jpg

Nice build. What I enjoy about looking at Conan build pictures is knowing exactly where it is, and then wondering what I could build there.

If it wasn't for that one npc camp I'd take over the entire shoreline.

I'm always amazed by what people can make while I just want to go explore.

*stands proudly next to his 2x2 depot*

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, that's some fine work Pixie. I build a wall around an area and throw a few buildings in there and I'm strutting around like I did something impressive. That's a really great area to build in, and a place I've debated doing some work myself.

Did a little over a hundred hours of this in a month on a private server with some people before the few of us playing burned out. So now I'm taking a little break before jumping back in either when the new map launches, or the itch strikes me. I may end up setting up a server for the new map if no one else does, which PA folks would certainly be invited to.

I basically bought this for twenty five bucks on a whim and absolutely love it. Looking forward to getting back in a while, and starting fresh.

Thanks! I'm thinking about moving the whole gate/wall/lighthouse over to the right more to get some more space for my village. The left wall is already sitting right there next to an npc camp. Poor guys are going to be screwed if I ever put archers up on the walls.

edited February 2020
    Some updated shots of my lakeshore fortress.
    I did move the right wall over to get some more space for the village and I reworked the gate and the towers. Moved the docks around too and redid the lighthouse so it's thinner.
    as29n1703ahf.jpg

My fishing village is coming along nicely.
    fxdb14w3awdw.jpg
    ugmgyhvd326j.jpg
    uauwsf0vgcvj.jpg
    uj8ios7m98ok.jpg

One of the mods I'm using(Savage Steel maybe) has items that give off ambient sounds when clicked on. Things like a sack or cloth bale with various market sounds or a mug or keg with tavern sounds etc. Adds a bit of life to the village. Now I need to go raiding and throw some peeps into the wheel.

Poketpixie on
    Do you have a full list of the mods you are using?

edited February 2020
    BitTWist wrote: »
    Do you have a full list of the mods you are using?

Sure. I think the relevant ones on display here are Dark Age, Lemurian Architect, Northern Timber, and Savage Steel vol 1 and 2 but here's the full list in case you're interested in the rest.

Drag thralls in water
    Sexy Silent legion armor
    Frost and Volcanic placeable
    Limestone buildings - a greek server mod
    Jungle building set
    Dark Age buildings Reforged - split
    Lemurian Architect
    Emberlight 2.2.0
    NOPeR's lighted power stones
    Recipe for hardened steel bar
    Fashionist 3.2.0(1.0 and DLC compatible)
    Kerozards paragon leveling - a multigun refresh
    Immersive NPC loot system
    Tools Durability multiplier fix
    Unlimited weight
    Strays back to the fire
    Savage Steel
    Savage Steel vol II
    Northern Timber 2.0.6

I'm always on the lookout for more building and deco pieces to add. A couple of notable mods that I'm probably going to add sooner or later:
    Deco and Placeables
    Immerse RP: Buildings and Placeables decor
    Birds of Passage

Poketpixie on
    edited February 2020
    I had my first purge. The game told me I was being attacked by a bunch of religious zealots of Mitra(man don't be hatin' on Set!) so I'm running around the walls looking to see which side they were attacking from but everything was quiet.

I went south to look at some the spots where I'd built bases in the past. Sure enough I found 'em at one of my old bases.....which consisted of a leftover block that I missed when I tore it down. Sheesh the HOA in that neighborhood is strict! It did not go well for them. Hot knife through butter is the appropriate expression I think.

Oh! I found my first horse that had gone missing! He showed up back at my old base by the river. The base is long gone but he was just standing there. He's now resting comfortably in the stables of my main base up north but he'll probably get eaten by gremlins like the rest.

Raided a couple villages, threw some guys on the wheel, and then worked on the temple some.
    So yeah, the Temple to Set I built does have a room underneath as well as a smaller room at the top.
    18gedv6l1mmf.jpg

The room underneath now has a bed, bath, a work area with an alchemy setup, and a lounge space in one corner to sit and relax. A perfect place for a sorcerous tyrant to study the dark arts in comfort.
    vsued879l4gu.jpg
    5m4c1vqcflqq.jpg
    9qr8rqiymqi8.jpg
    udg1qb724sd7.jpg

The room at the top is a throne room/treasure room. No blades. No bows. Leave your tribute here.
    rus7afjvjrjy.jpg

Poketpixie on
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Nice work Pixie.Very impressive looking temple.

Did you have your horse wait for you while you ran off and did stuff? It took me ages to figure out that they pretty quickly despawn and respawn back where you set them to guard.

I do have them stand guard while I'm building stuff and next thing you know they're nowhere to be found. I might have forgotten the very first horse and left him behind which might have caused the others to despawn? I dunno. We'll see how long this one sticks around this time.