As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I remember that TIE, but can't remember the name. Speaking of leagues, is anyone interested in another vassal league, or even "tournament"? It's been a very long time.

How does a forum league or tournament work?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I remember that TIE, but can't remember the name. Speaking of leagues, is anyone interested in another vassal league, or even "tournament"? It's been a very long time.

IIRC, we used a virtual table top for the map and connect through that for the games.
    End of turn play by plays are posted so the rest of us can "watch" the games as they played out.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

The way it's worked in the past is that we get everyone who's interested into a big list, and assign games. You have 1 week to play your game and report back the results. Lots of people post screenshotted play-by-plays or commentary, but it's not required. Vassal and Tabletop Simulator are the electronic game tables of choice, and sometimes you even get spectators!

We're super formal about everything, and require that you have your list set-in-stone no later than 5 minutes into the game. :D Lots of people use it as a chance to run stuff they generally wouldn't be able to in their local games, either because the local meta would crush it or because they don't have many local games.

We play until everyone's played everyone else once, or we lose steam and people aren't able to play all their games.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think a few folks did turn by turn stuff like that, I seem to remember it being mostly to show off some crazy boards states or dice rolls. It all went through vassal, with the tournament managed through thread updates here and PMs with results of games.

I recorded a small handful of games and put them on YouTube actually. They're a couple hours each, I think, but it may give an idea of what vassal used to look like. Last I checked, they updated the xwing module heavily to be much more user friendly.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular

Basically what everyone else said. Picture a regular tournament in terms of organising matches, but played either on VASSAL (free, not so pretty) or Tabletop Simulator (Not free, prettier) with a week or so to set your own time due to timezones. You play your game, both players post results in the thread, and things get updated. I think the last league we tried had 2 weeks per game, and no pairings dictated, which led to it falling apart pretty quickly.

I'm happy to try and organise if people are keen, and do the paperwork at this end. Mostly I want an excuse to play because I don't get to in real-life due to remoteness. The Internet is a wonderful thing. I guess awesome this post if you're keen, and if I get enough interest I'll start up a dedicated thread.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Epic unveil for huge ships!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxN3gwDN7E

There's a lot here, but I like the new tool. There's a new base! There is a new generic damage deck that is super cool!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    (wrong link)

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Well, fuck.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You know what would be fun? A Homeworld table top game. Not sure if I would want fighter level or armada level skirmishes. I think you could probably get away with both.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I've put up the tournament thread here, please go sign up if you're keen.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    I didn't know what 'need' actually was until I saw the CR90 Corellian Corvette in Crabbok's huge ship recap video.

I didn't know what 'need' actually was until I saw the CR90 Corellian Corvette in Crabbok's huge ship recap video.

The huge ships are all really, really cool in person. They make great models to have out on your shelf, too!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So points are out for the new ships, YASB is already updated. The tldr stolen from Reddit:
    Wave 5 releases become Hyperspace Legal also, along with Contraband Cybernetics?

Nantex starts at 34, up to 54pts for Sun Fac, with most of them having dual talent slots

Ensnare is 10/10/10/10/10/16/24 for I0-6

Gravitic Deflection is 5

Y-Wings start at 33 points, up to 60pts for Anakin. Ahsoka is 12pts.

Precog is 3/3/3/4/7/10/13 for I0-6.

Snap Shot is 7/8/9 for Small/Medium/Large.

Targeting Computer is 3.

Foresight is 4

Sun Fac seems way over priced? There aren't other aces to pair him with for a small ship list and it doesn't feel like you could fit enough drones?

I'm thinking there is room for a Y-Wing option in the "two Jedi and a ________" lists. It's tanky like an arc but instead of dealing damage it just ions the other ships providing consistent damage and setting spikes for Anakin? Maybe broadside.

Precog seems good, I think it'll see some play. Snap shot seems borderline but I'd hedge my bets towards "too expensive."

Targeting computer is good at that price and let's Soontir fit into Jendon lists very nicely. Be afraid.

Ahsoka is 12. I think she's pretty playable.

The Birmingham Barons were pretty high on Chopper on Anakin and for the price I think that's a good call. Anakin can stack the triggers so he gains the red evade first and remove it with his ability. I think it's arguable that the evade mitigates the same amount of damage as the r2 while also providing jam tokens afterwards. There's always the possibility that you spend the charge when you don't need the evade due to rolling well, but that's the same of basically any offensive modification, and it's way better to prevent the damage instead of losing a turn to Regen one.

ChaosHat on
    This is a bit weird. My store told me the X-wing Wave 5 ships I preordered (the new ones) are going to be available on Friday, but their website still has them marked as "on the boat" (and a metric TON of other product listed as shipping now).

I will trust my store, of course, but I gotta wonder if someone screwed up updating the release lists.

The Nantex is SOOOO TINY!

Like holy shit!

On the other hand, the Y-wing is super chonky and I love it.

(Also FFG's upcoming page is super busted.)

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Got in a Boba Fett + Mining TIE vs Han Solo game today.

Han shot first, but apparently couldn't hit *anything*, and was shot down after managing to score only two measly hits on the TIE.

I did get the Ghost today, and man. Not only is it a spectacular model, but its cards are super flavorful and look fun as hell. I can't wait to fly it.

I am so tempted to get the new docking ghost, but I really have no reason to do so other than the coolness factor.

I'd probably rebuy the Tantive if it were painted up like some of the other titles.

That said, I noticed they were all rebel titles. What, no Resistance ships?

They showed the Resistance ship card. I wonder if they didn't spoil the whole thing?

Yeah. Someone else pointed out there were no resistance specific upgrades (hence my mentioning titles). So there's likely a lot more coming.

I've seen speculation that that's all there is for it and the Republic using the corvette is a bandaid "at least they have an epic option" and all their cool commanders and crew will arrive in some other Republic specific epic ship.

Well, theoretically the Tantive IV 2.0 came out last week, so that should be able to be confirmed. Not that I'm buying a second one...

Because right now I'm drooling over the potential stuff we might get thanks to The Mandalorian.

edited November 2019
    Huh. So, apparently, the 2nd Edition Imperial Raider has been cancelled*, and a bunch of other stuff has been pushed back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExPfZz-aag

The video has a screenshot of an FFG newspost about it, but they're saying it's because of "overwhelming stock" of the 1st-edition Raider still being around. This is despite the fact that CoolStuff and Miniature Market are both out-of-stock. FFG has them for sale, though, which, in Crabbok's words, "is bullshit."

* Saw's Renegades and TIE Reaper 2nd Edition releases (black boxes) are also cancelled, and FFG is saying to just buy the 1st Edition releases (grey boxes) since they have 2nd Edition cards in them. This ignores the fact that the cards in them are incorrect and have a lot of required errata.

And, of course, MM and CSI are both still taking preorders on all three of the cancelled 2nd Ed stuff.

Elvenshae on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    That sucks on so many levels.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I mean... does it though?
    I think that we are all passionate about X-wing here, but this thread went the month of October without a post.

I'm always happy when I can find a few hours to play this game, but I don't really feel a strong need to continue expanding my collection.
    I like flying the squadrons that I have.

I think that it is kind've alright for FFG to recognize a shift in momentum and adjust accordingly.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Good point! I was just hoping they would rerelease all of the original ships since I never bothered to get them. But to be honest I only have played two games online and two in person. The two in person were with the box set.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    But part of the reason we haven't chatted much is because they haven't released much for us to talk about.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I mean, there's "adjusting to a change in the market" and there's "cancelling things that should, by any reasonable measure, already be done - and leaving pre-orders for them up".
    I don't really have a dog in this fight, I think X-Wing is a really cool and well-executed game but I don't have the free time to learn it well, much less collect for and play it, but the risk the linked video raises for me as a newcomer to the hobby is all about execution and communication.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Their announcement says to me that a lot of the small independent game stores have 1 or 2 of the cancelled in their stock, and in aggregate it's a lot of stock. I also imagine the raider doesn't move big numbers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I mean, I could totally understand *why* web stores' stock of the first edition miniature would be out. They probably havn't re-ordered them, seeing as how it's a hundred dollar miniature... that was going to be obsolete when the new one came out. No reason to spend that much money stocking something that would more than likely just gathered dust in their warehouse.

If this news is accurate, I could see those stores putting in orders for them again. It'll take a few weeks, though, since the order will have to go to their distributor, who'll have to order them from FFG if they don't have in stock currently, and then ship back. Distributors might just not have it in stock, too, since there's a massive amount of products flooding the market constantly, and so they've been cutting back on stocking things.

It'd be nice if they could work with stores to get conversion kits/upgrades for these models so they at least come with the right dials and cards now.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I think a nice compromise would have been to pack conversion kits for the specific ships, and then bundle them together for a discount

Sokpuppet wrote: »

I think that we are all passionate about X-wing here, but this thread went the month of October without a post.

I'm always happy when I can find a few hours to play this game, but I don't really feel a strong need to continue expanding my collection.

I think that it is kind've alright for FFG to recognize a shift in momentum and adjust accordingly.

I mean, as far as the lack of posting I know I personally don't check this place for X-Wing news and updates because it is so slow. Kind of a chicken and the egg thing.
    I think a nice compromise would have been to pack conversion kits for the specific ships, and then bundle them together for a discount

I do think conversion kits are kind of shitty as is, I wish FFG would announce a program where they'll furnish you the 2.0 cards/cardboard for any ship for $3-5. I have passed on a lot of sales on 1.0 stuff because I would like that specific ship, but I'm not going to buy enough shit to make it worth buying a whole conversion kit. Starviper, Rebel Falcon (this is partially because I own Scum and Resistance Falcons and do not want another), TIE Bombers, A-Wings, etc.

Hell, I would even buy the Rebel ARC or TIE Fighters cardboard just to have that shit since I already have models for them. Not including Rebel ARC stuff in the Republic expansion is also kind of a dick move in my opinion but whatever.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

I mean, as far as the lack of posting I know I personally don't check this place for X-Wing news and updates because it is so slow. Kind of a chicken and the egg thing.

I do think conversion kits are kind of shitty as is, I wish FFG would announce a program where they'll furnish you the 2.0 cards/cardboard for any ship for $3-5. I have passed on a lot of sales on 1.0 stuff because I would like that specific ship, but I'm not going to buy enough shit to make it worth buying a whole conversion kit. Starviper, Rebel Falcon (this is partially because I own Scum and Resistance Falcons and do not want another), TIE Bombers, A-Wings, etc.

Hell, I would even buy the Rebel ARC or TIE Fighters cardboard just to have that shit since I already have models for them. Not including Rebel ARC stuff in the Republic expansion is also kind of a dick move in my opinion but whatever.

I bought a Slave 1 when it first came out in XW 1.0. That was the only S&V ship I owned. So I did not want to buy a S&V conversion pack, especially since one Slave 1 is too few for a list.

So I bought the 2.0 Slave 1, ran the cardboard stuff through a photocopier, and glued the relevant copies to some leftover dials and the pieces that go in the base (leftovers from the ships I don't own in the Imp and Reb conversion kits).

That nettet me two Slave 1-s ready for XW 2.0.

(I had too few dials and stuff for TIE Interceptors and A-wings (conversion kits came with 3, I had 4) and gave them the same treatment.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/17/uncharted-territory/

Environments!
    Some are a bit weird. It's interesting to have some different setups though.

Munitions Cache is a ridiculous format. I really want there to be at least a couple official tournaments under some of these rules. I could see picking a ruleset in advance and letting everyone build around that, or each player brings an environment and first player chooses the play environment (you must bring enough obstacles for the entire environment you brought with you).

Yep, those are cool.

I'm a fan of scenario-type play, and those look like just a collection of quick scenarios that you can mix with any ship types. Big fan!

I will probably grab at least one of those even though it's been a hot minute since I've played

(speaking of which @Sokpuppet we should try to get together after the holidays maybe ;-) )

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still now they do terrain and missions after I really wanted them