As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Everything scary is too much for me in VR. Still veeeerrry slowly trying to make it through a VR Subnautica run.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I found Subnautica terrifying on a flat screen. I'd love to play in VR and see how far I can get before I have to nope out of it.

Has the VR implementation been improved over time? I tried once probably a year ago now and it seemed buggy. Movement / looking around didn't agree with me either and it made me kind of nauseous so I didn't play long.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Subnautica VR seemed....very rough. Which is too bad cause I'd love to be terrified.

Still miffed RE7 never went to PC.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Just got a tracking number for my Index, which will apparently be here by the 5th, so I'm grabbing games while the sale is going. Superhot, Moss and Psychonauts are on my most wanted list, but any other must haves? (I'm not big on rythm games, so I'm not getting beat saber.)

Edit: I already own No Man's Sky :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    You can refund games before 2 hours. I know lots of people who aren't big on rhythm games and still adore Beat Saber. You should at least try it. Can always process a refund if you don't like it.

One of the most important VR lessons is to set aside your existing genre preferences and try different types of games. Games feel different in VR and what you do/don't enjoy in regular gaming may not be what you do/don't enjoy in VR.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've been away from VR for a while now (last time I played it was probably 5 months ago or so, aside from the Skyrim VR over the weekend) and it's amazing how fast you get your VR legs back. When I first started Skyrim I was really dizzy so I took it easy with everything and after an hour everything came back and felt great.

I guess it's like riding a bike.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    The best tracks are also pretty hard if you haven't mastered normal difficulty yet.

It's not that I 'haven't mastered normal difficulty yet', it's that some of these tracks have a "normal" difficulty that's harder than Hard on a bunch of the original tracks from the game. Like, no warning, no lead up, just SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER GOOD LUCK WEAVING THIS BULLSHIOH YOU FAILED. On "normal".

I don't know if there's a set of requirements/checkmarks a track needs to qualify for a given difficulty (beats per min, total cubes and whatnot seem like obvious markers) but some of the ones I'm getting have say Normal/Hard/Expert difficulties and the Normal one still destroys me while most of the original Beat Saber tracks on Normal are flat out easy for me.

Frankly I think it's basically 'power creep'; people who have 500 hours in game and play so well on Expert that what they perceive as "normal" difficulty is skewed.

I should just use No-Fail more for those, but in a sea of Expert only tracks, having one with Hard and under difficulties is a welcome surprise, until it's actually a Hard+ track in disguise (from my meager experience at least).

I really enjoy the ones that clearly put thought/effort into accounting for your momentum, getting a good flow back and forth or whatnot. Others just seem to relish in "SURPRISE YOU WERE ON THE LEFT BUT NOW IT'S AN AMBUSH FROM YOUR FLANK" kind of shit. Those I'm less a fan of, at least so far.

But that all aside, thanks for the suggestion. I've looked up a bunch of Benny's work and downloaded some of the Normal ones to hopefully give me a fighting chance at least.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Beat Sabers difficulty ratings are ridiculously inaccurate and good luck with custom songs that don't turn into wrist twisters on higher difficulties cause there is no time to do actual swipes.

I turned on No Fail for a reason: I don't care about scores and nothing pulls me out faster than a failed screen.

Sure there are songs where I just roll my eyes and exit out but it has left for a far more enjoyable experience.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I found Subnautica terrifying on a flat screen. I'd love to play in VR and see how far I can get before I have to nope out of it.

Has the VR implementation been improved over time? I tried once probably a year ago now and it seemed buggy. Movement / looking around didn't agree with me either and it made me kind of nauseous so I didn't play long.

It hasn't been update AFAIK but there's a mod which does help. Still pretty bad unfortunately.

• Options
    Realization that I have set like every VR game I got in my Steam Queues to "ignore" over the past three years. Guess that's not necessary anymore.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You can go into your preferences and get a list of games youve ignored and click a button to unignore the ones you want.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Terrifying?

Is it a horror game?

It's been sitting in my Steam library for forever, untouched. I thought it was just some swimmy swim swim thing.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Terrifying?

Is it a horror game?

It's been sitting in my Steam library for forever, untouched. I thought it was just some swimmy swim swim thing.

The ocean is dark and full of large, frightening animals.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's terrifying in the sense that giant monsters swimming around dark, underwater zones with limited options for fight or flight is inherently terrifying.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So if, hypothetically speaking, you are a person who distrusts any and all sea creatures and consider them to be alien monsters, even things like fucking goldfish, then that person should probably stay far away from Subnautica hypothetically speaking, hypothetically?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Technically the sea creatures are alien monsters.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    correct

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I've had a phobia of water creatures since Mario 64 and those damn eels. Subnautica was fine all the way until... Well let's just say that it's not a game for me or my nightmares lol.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Exposure therapy is a great way to face your fears.

This is coming from a guy who knows that any body of water he can't see the bottom of is obviously filled with sharks/kraken.

Seriously, you start out timid and scared but you learn how to handle some creatures and who you should avoid.

Edit: Also I may have found a cure for constipation

Karoz on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I got my Quest last night, played it with the wife, my sister and her fiance, everyone had a blast Beat Sabering. I tried Vader Immortal and I could understand how some people get queasy, the ladder/climbing sections were definitely a weird sensation.

I bought Space Pirate Trainer but I already started processing the return for it. I think on sale I might grab it again but it felt kind of one note/tech demo-y. Also not really that massive an upgrade over the little gun game in the Oculus getting started demo. I'd still like a cool gun game maybe? Pistol Whip or Superhot are kind of at the top of my list right now if anyone has recommendations one way or the other.

I think when Vacation Simulator comes out that will also be high on my list.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a long cable for Oculus Link?

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I wonder what the price will be for The Climb. It’s $45CAD on Oculus store and it’s supposed to have cross bug.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Exposure therapy is a great way to face your fears.

This is coming from a guy who knows that any body of water he can't see the bottom of is obviously filled with sharks/kraken.

Seriously, you start out timid and scared but you learn how to handle some creatures and who you should avoid.

Edit: Also I may have found a cure for constipation

It's not the best game, but Eagle Flight is pretty good for the flying/'oh hey I'm very high up D:' feeling.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    The best tracks are also pretty hard if you haven't mastered normal difficulty yet.

It's not that I 'haven't mastered normal difficulty yet', it's that some of these tracks have a "normal" difficulty that's harder than Hard on a bunch of the original tracks from the game. Like, no warning, no lead up, just SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER GOOD LUCK WEAVING THIS BULLSHIOH YOU FAILED. On "normal".

Yeah, the difficulty settings are entirely up to the track author. Being subjective means you'll get some wacky shit sometimes, but you can often suss out the hard ones by looking at the number of notes in the song vs the length of the track - check the details on the song listing before you play. It's not a perfect indication, but it helps.
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I bought Space Pirate Trainer but I already started processing the return for it. I think on sale I might grab it again but it felt kind of one note/tech demo-y. Also not really that massive an upgrade over the little gun game in the Oculus getting started demo. I'd still like a cool gun game maybe? Pistol Whip or Superhot are kind of at the top of my list right now if anyone has recommendations one way or the other.

SPT is essentially a tech demo, yes, but it's a long one and surprisingly fun. For a few bucks it's worth it, and a really easy way to get newbies into VR - doesn't take long before they're ducking behind a shield like it's second nature.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Space Pirate Trainer is a very shallow game, but for some reason I find it incredibly addicting.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They need a Captain Blood VR.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Subnautica be was not well done and vomit inducing from my short run in it

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    With some tweaks (there's a pretty neat mod) Subnautica is absolutely playable and works well in VR. At least it did for me, but it takes a lot for me to feel nausea in VR.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I got my Quest last night, played it with the wife, my sister and her fiance, everyone had a blast Beat Sabering. I tried Vader Immortal and I could understand how some people get queasy, the ladder/climbing sections were definitely a weird sensation.

I spent a good hour+ on Thursday night playing Pistol Whip. I found it a lot of fun, and I only played through the stages on "easy". I plan on going back and working my way up to it.

Superhot is a top-3 VR game for me, and I keep coming back to it and enjoy myself every time.

If I make a bit of an oversimplification, in Superhot you are Neo, whereas in Pistol Whip you are John Wick. Both feel cool, but I also feel they scratch slightly different itches.

That... May not actually help

• Options

I spent a good hour+ on Thursday night playing Pistol Whip. I found it a lot of fun, and I only played through the stages on "easy". I plan on going back and working my way up to it.

Superhot is a top-3 VR game for me, and I keep coming back to it and enjoy myself every time.

If I make a bit of an oversimplification, in Superhot you are Neo, whereas in Pistol Whip you are John Wick. Both feel cool, but I also feel they scratch slightly different itches.

Which would random people enjoy more?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Thirith wrote: »
    With some tweaks (there's a pretty neat mod) Subnautica is absolutely playable and works well in VR. At least it did for me, but it takes a lot for me to feel nausea in VR.

Yeah, so VR Subnautica is definitely flawed but I think worth giving a shot. It is a straight port of the base game, with all of the limitations that entails. You're going to move with a controller and the inventory management is pretty blah.

But the VR mod does fix most of the jarring stuff. The HUD is in a better place, and will autohide until you look down. The inventory management is a lot less eye straining with it too.

However it's still a xbox pad game and has locomotion that isn't particularly comfortable if you're not used to it. It bothers me less out of the box because it's swimming instead of walking, but still will cause issues for some people. It also suffers from pretty severe hitching because the game is bad at streaming assets -- for whatever reason that's never really caused me nausea, but it's 100% going to lock up for a bit while it loads when you travel far. It's just a uniquely incredibly atmospheric game, and works well enough with the mod that I can put up with a lack of motion controls.

The best advice I can give anyone dealing with nausea from it is to play standing up, and use your head for vision, not the analog sticks. Analog stick for rotating kills me on VR and will amplify any issues you have from locomotion. Also, ginger pills are awesome for motion sickness in general.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Any suggestions to which? I already played through the game but a 2nd run with VR is something I'd like to do.

And yes Subnautica will trigger Talassophobia, but I've read many accounts of people learning to overcome it by playing Subnautica.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Any suggestions to which? I already played through the game but a 2nd run with VR is something I'd like to do.

And yes Subnautica will trigger Talassophobia, but I've read many accounts of people learning to overcome it by playing Subnautica.

The VR improvement mod is over here!

Heh and yeah, the overcoming your fears in VR thing is interesting. I definitely have thalassophobia (as far as it relates to swimming in deep oceans making me feel very vulnerable and afraid) but love Subnautica, and love it in VR. But it's still terrifying! The whole "ok I'm definitely not going to die" thing helps a lot, but it's still pretty touch and go. I still haven't made it farther in VR than I have in flatscreen -- if I know in advance that an area contains terrifying monsters I'm ok messing with it in VR, but progressing in the story has me very nervous.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Drez wrote: »

Terrifying?

Is it a horror game?

Subnautica is an odd duck. It's not primarily a horror game - it's more of a survival/exploration game set in the ocean, and a very well done one. But there are creatures in the ocean that will attack you, including a few very large ones, and it turns out that's a very common fear for people to have.

Running into a monster and dying in Subnautica isn't that much different than in Minecraft, gameplay wise, but it sure feels different.

Bremen on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

Which would random people enjoy more?

If it's baby's first VR experience, I'd stick to Space Pirate Trainer. Superhot is pretty tricky to learn, and I haven't played Pistol Whip but it looked pretty fancy - again, hard for newbies.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hello VR thread! Been a long time.

An IRL friend of mine picked up an Index and so I've been playing VR again on my Vive (now powered by a 2070 Super, hell yeah supersampling) for the first time in... forever, really. We've been playing the campaign of Arizona Sunshine together and we both picked up Sprint Vector. A third friend is considering picking up a Rift S or possibly springing for an Index himself. So I have two questions.

First; what are some great co-op games (or competitive ones) for 3 players?

Second; what are some of the absolutely killer games that I've missed, having not paid much attention to VR in the last ~18 months? I did pick up Pistol Whip which is lots of fun.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Here's what my friend said, largely playing VR for the first time at my place last week. (He has not yet tried Pistol Whip)
    Super Hot was good because you could go at your own pace and it felt slightly more responsive and realistic than SPT (except the damn throwing mechanism, that was kinda garbage until you explained how to cheat the system).

SPT was more exciting, sorta more intense, and definitely more sweaty because you had to be vigilant about everything that was quickly coming at you.

IMO, comparing Super Hot and SPT is like comparing chess to football or basketball. While both involve strategy, one requires much faster thinking

I agree with the throwing issues in SHVR; it feels a little janky (we've been over it in this thread before: "push" to throw is a lot better).

Thinking about this more, and about the things you do in the games, I think I would recommend SHVR over Pistol Whip out of the gate.
    I feel like PW shines when you're feeling the beat and trying to time your shots, but as far as interactivity (picking stuff up in VR is great!) and making you feel like a badass, Super Hot will impress every time I feel.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Hello VR thread! Been a long time.

An IRL friend of mine picked up an Index and so I've been playing VR again on my Vive (now powered by a 2070 Super, hell yeah supersampling) for the first time in... forever, really. We've been playing the campaign of Arizona Sunshine together and we both picked up Sprint Vector. A third friend is considering picking up a Rift S or possibly springing for an Index himself. So I have two questions.

First; what are some great co-op games (or competitive ones) for 3 players?

Second; what are some of the absolutely killer games that I've missed, having not paid much attention to VR in the last ~18 months? I did pick up Pistol Whip which is lots of fun.

I still think Smashbox Arena is amazing if you have people to play it with. The playerbase is near nil nowadays because it's a multiplayer only VR game, but if you have friends to rope in it's 3v3 and will fill in bots to match teams.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Here's what my friend said, largely playing VR for the first time at my place last week. (He has not yet tried Pistol Whip)
    Super Hot was good because you could go at your own pace and it felt slightly more responsive and realistic than SPT (except the damn throwing mechanism, that was kinda garbage until you explained how to cheat the system).

SPT was more exciting, sorta more intense, and definitely more sweaty because you had to be vigilant about everything that was quickly coming at you.

IMO, comparing Super Hot and SPT is like comparing chess to football or basketball. While both involve strategy, one requires much faster thinking

I agree with the throwing issues in SHVR; it feels a little janky (we've been over it in this thread before: "push" to throw is a lot better).

Thinking about this more, and about the things you do in the games, I think I would recommend SHVR over Pistol Whip out of the gate.
    I feel like PW shines when you're feeling the beat and trying to time your shots, but as far as interactivity (picking stuff up in VR is great!) and making you feel like a badass, Super Hot will impress every time I feel.

This is a really good note and might single handedly push me into the Superhot camp here. Beat Saber is a good experience but it isn't really showing off all the things VR can do so having something in the portfolio that is a little more dynamic is probably worth it.

Then again, maybe Vacation Simulator would do that even better when it comes out.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Superhot also has a great built-in demo mode that can be used for parties and such, but it's also real easy to accidentally exit out of it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

This is a really good note and might single handedly push me into the Superhot camp here. Beat Saber is a good experience but it isn't really showing off all the things VR can do so having something in the portfolio that is a little more dynamic is probably worth it.

Then again, maybe Vacation Simulator would do that even better when it comes out.

I 100% prefer Super Hot for the reasons mentioned. People intuitively grasp the time control thing in a way that lets them absorb the action at more levels of gaming experience and physical ability. I think I've finally sucked all the marrow out of it, but I bust it out for others and somehow still manage to enjoy it vicariously.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
This discussion has been closed.