As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's all gonna come down to how they handle the open world. And IMO, the only way they can is to do big broad corridors between locations. Just a big fat open field between Midgar and Kalm, maybe with an exit to Chocobo Ranch and the Marsh too.

I think the best case scenario is a bunch of FFXV type maps, but they're not gonna be taking a swing at replicating the globe, IMO. And depending on how truncated the space between each location is, the world outside Midgar might be a lot smaller than anticipated.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I have questions about how open the world will be for FFVII, and I agree that it will probably end up feeling more like a couple of larger maps for the "world". Not sure at what point part 2 will end, but safe money's on "the end of disc 1". I'm just hoping to be surprised.

My larger concern is depending on how long it takes for part 2 to release, will it still release on PS4, or am I going to need to jump to a PS5 to play it? And if Part 2 is still releasing on PS4, how many more parts will there be where they can keep that design philosophy going? Part 3 and possibly Part 4 are surely far enough away that they could be PS5 exclusive, and they'll want to allocate dev team resources to making a single product instead of "doing it twice" for whatever parts remain.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    To maintain scale vs sanity of travel they just need to give us a car or something to cover big empty spaces. Like say the car and bike they steal from Shinra at the end of the original. It wouldn't be crazy to introduce some roads in the wilderness, I mean how else is Shinra getting around to all their reactors.

• Options
    Airships.

But if you can keep the motorcycle you take from Shinra HQ and get to ride that around in the world, that'd be awesome, though they would then have to change how chocobo's work, at least until you can start breeding your blue, red, green and black ones.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I just got everything up and running perfectly modded on FFVII on PC (the STEAM version), so if anyone has any questions on how to do that. Let me know.
    I'm REALLY nostalging hard. I'm using almost the same visual setup as Maximilian Dood is for his FFVII replay, except mine is the vanilla version, no difficulty mods.
    That said, WOW what a difference it makes to play the game with true HD graphics and redesigned, anime style world/battle characters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os2snB9em-0&list=PLcev4fJhM3ETlULWG0IXk12gLBGFuYby2

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hey, if I wanted to get FFX/X-2 remastered and FFXII, which are the better versions to buy, Steam or Nintendo Switch? Keep in mind, the Switch's portability means nothing to me as I don't enjoy playing text-heavy games on the handheld mode's screen. I'm asking in terms of content & features added/removed, and any known performance issues.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Edit: ignore everything I said, I thought you were talking about FFVII. >_<

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hey, if I wanted to get FFX/X-2 remastered and FFXII, which are the better versions to buy, Steam or Nintendo Switch? Keep in mind, the Switch's portability means nothing to me as I don't enjoy playing text-heavy games on the handheld mode's screen. I'm asking in terms of content & features added/removed, and any known performance issues.

I'd say Steam for the higher resolutions. Content should be identical.
    Both Switch and PC versions of FF X/X-2 run at 30FPS. Switch version of XII runs at 30 FPS, PC version runs at 60 FPS.
    DF has a video comparing the Switch and Xbox One releases; I didn't watch the whole thing but if there were performance issues they'll likely mention it in there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9IGpIehFmQ&amp;feature=emb_title

Frem on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Switch version of FFXII has some additional quality of life features that never got patched into the PC version, far as I know. The ability to have multiple pages of Gambits set to quickly cycle between, and possibly the ability to reroll your class for each character.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    yeah I just watched that (added FF12 to my christmas list), the Xbox and Switch have some newer features over the PS4/PC version. I'm going switch, even if I have to hold the hand held up to my face, I'd like the option of taking it with me on trips.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    yeah I just watched that (added FF12 to my christmas list), the Xbox and Switch have some newer features over the PS4/PC version. I'm going switch, even if I have to hold the hand held up to my face, I'd like the option of taking it with me on trips.

For small text, there's an option in the Switch options (hardware, not the game) you can turn on that lets you zoom in with (I think) a double-press of the Home button. It's not ideal but it's better than inserting the whole Switch into your eyes.

Also, game devs, please, larger text in general and text size options. Your demographic is aging.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I have questions about how open the world will be for FFVII, and I agree that it will probably end up feeling more like a couple of larger maps for the "world". Not sure at what point part 2 will end, but safe money's on "the end of disc 1". I'm just hoping to be surprised.

My larger concern is depending on how long it takes for part 2 to release, will it still release on PS4, or am I going to need to jump to a PS5 to play it? And if Part 2 is still releasing on PS4, how many more parts will there be where they can keep that design philosophy going? Part 3 and possibly Part 4 are surely far enough away that they could be PS5 exclusive, and they'll want to allocate dev team resources to making a single product instead of "doing it twice" for whatever parts remain.

It doesn't make a lot of business sense to create a new engine for the PS5. My guess is that they'll release a PS4/PS5 version with the PS5 having bells and whistles like increased resolution and maybe some things like ray tracing tacked on.

Support for the PS3 lasted 5 and a half years. I'd assume they may even release Part 3 on the PS4 depending on how long it takes for them to make it and what PS5 adoption numbers look like. I'd assume by 2025 though most folks on this forum will have a PS5 if they want one.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Game text being nigh unreadable in FFXIII is why I finally upgraded from my old big CRT to a flatscreen when it came out.

FFXV not correctly fitting into that TV and being hard to read is why I upgraded that TV to a larger, actually HD one.

Quit breaking my TVs Final Fantasy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I haven't had any issues reading text on ffxii switch, but I have been told by my glasses-wearing wife that I have unnaturally good eyesight. Especially for someone who abuses his eyeballs with video games.

• Options
    My wife actively makes fun of me for how terribly hard I find it to read small text. I dunno how the text size on FFXII compares to Pokemon Sword/Shield, but Sword/Shield is doable with my glasses on.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    It doesn't make a lot of business sense to create a new engine for the PS5. My guess is that they'll release a PS4/PS5 version with the PS5 having bells and whistles like increased resolution and maybe some things like ray tracing tacked on.

Support for the PS3 lasted 5 and a half years. I'd assume they may even release Part 3 on the PS4 depending on how long it takes for them to make it and what PS5 adoption numbers look like. I'd assume by 2025 though most folks on this forum will have a PS5 if they want one.
    Aren't they using Unreal? It should be as straightforward as upgrading to the next version. Older versions should technically still work, even, but S-E would only resort to that if expected sales for remaining parts are comparatively low.

They can probably reuse a bunch of the art assets and fairly simply add higher resolution to them. They may want to update the polygon count I guess, but hopefully they're using tech where the master renders are already at super high levels and can just be downsampled to a higher count for next gen.

Bonus, they can get that great new lighting tech, which should make the outside world absolutely gorgeous.

The combat engine and other gameplay elements should barely be more than copy-paste, though I'm sure they'll continue tweaking.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Oh the new/remake SaGa game is out today

SaGa scarlet grace ambitions

Iunno if it's good, but hey, saga stuff.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know where I put my old PC copy of FF7.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Oh the new/remake SaGa game is out today

SaGa scarlet grace ambitions

Iunno if it's god, but hey, saga stuff.

Bought it and downloaded it this morning. It's... different. I'm not sure if I like it yet or not.

Like, at it's heart, it's still a SaGa game, and you still get glimmers, and they've updated some of the game for modern convenience.

It looks like they did away with dungeons first of all. So you have an overworld map with no random encounters, but when you walk through a forest, you'll clearly see "monsters" and then you decide if you want to initiate combat with it. This means you level up at your own pace, but it also means there's a lot less "exploration" to do, because it's one big overworld map, and you trigger events at these locations on the map that happen in cutscenes. During these cutscenes, you can get items through dialog options. I haven't yet run into a town, so I don't know what the shopping or town interface looks like yet.

Combat is still turn-based, with a dynamic camera that moves around a lot. It goes for umm... some interesting angles when you do your attack, and it always cuts away to the next character really quickly when they're attack comes up. The camera could be better, honestly. Either the angle is too close to see your cool move, or it's too quick cutting from character to character. I've been playing RomSaga3 for 30 hours before this game came out, so it's a bit jarring when you're not seeing your line-up of members just attacking in their line.

The voice acting and music are great though. Kenji Ito's music has always been great. The english VA are good so far, from what I've heard; no one grates on me just yet. There does not seem to be an option for Japanese voices, though.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I assume it's with top men. Top. Men.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

If you don't care, the STEAM version works great, and it's easy to get working with mods. You just have to run an .exe to convert it from a STEAM launched game to a mod manager launched one.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    My wife actively makes fun of me for how terribly hard I find it to read small text. I dunno how the text size on FFXII compares to Pokemon Sword/Shield, but Sword/Shield is doable with my glasses on.
    Pokemon games have freaking ginormous text compared to 95% of Switch RPGs.
    They are still picking font sizes suitable for 3DSes while everyone else is picking ones suitable for 4K.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    Pokemon games have freaking ginormous text compared to 95% of Switch RPGs.
    They are still picking font sizes suitable for 3DSes while everyone else is picking ones suitable for 4K.

Yeah, I guess the tons of handheld experience would make Gamefreak much more likely to use larger text. I have seen various games with small text update their text sizes in patches, hopefully that makes them more likely to have larger text from the beginning for future releases. Or, if the game is text heavy, just give us text-size options.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I still have mine.

Kind of worried about disc rot though.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I still have mine.

Oh god, don't say it. I have so many great games on CDs, quite a few of which are unlikely to ever see a re-release.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    So, I've owned the disc for Final Fantasy XV for a while, but have never played it. I have questions:
    - Has this game reached an appropriate status of completeness with regards to patches and updates?
    - Will playing it to the end of the story feel satisfying?
    - Do I have to get some DLC or something to make this so?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I still have mine.

Oh god, don't say it. I have so many great games on CDs, quite a few of which are unlikely to ever see a re-release.

Making a backup is fair use as I recall.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    So, I've owned the disc for Final Fantasy XV for a while, but have never played it. I have questions:
    - Has this game reached an appropriate status of completeness with regards to patches and updates?

Consider getting the "Royal Edition" upgrade when it is on sale for a more complete version of the game. That has a bunch of DLC that would add to your experience. Future DLCs were cancelled, so now is a fine time to play it to completion.

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Some of the free event DLC has already been removed from use (like the Assassin's Creed event, I think), but the episodic DLC is all set post game, and (should) be played in order. As shoeboxjeddy noted, get it when it goes on sale. I already own a physical pre-order of the game, but I bought the Royal Edition release when it was on sale for some absurdly low price (like $7) more than a year ago.

I also bought the PC release (the Windows Store version has cloud saves, if you don't want to start from scratch), but I kind of got turned off on that when I realized that your photo album doesn't properly carry over between platforms (which ended up being an issue when I started playing on Xbox One X anyway).

• Options
    I'm like 20 or so hours into SaGa Scarlet Ambitions.

It's pretty good. The sound track is baller as expected, and the game actually explains enough of how stuff works that I'm not super confused constantly.

I'd even recommend it.

• Options

It's pretty good. The sound track is baller as expected, and the game actually explains enough of how stuff works that I'm not super confused constantly.

I'd even recommend it.

Once I learned what an enemy with ??? for its action meant, and the fact that I could see what action enemies queued up, the game really started to click for me.

Fuck if some fights are still really hard, though.

• Options

I'd even recommend it.

Once I learned what an enemy with ??? for its action meant, and the fact that I could see what action enemies queued up, the game really started to click for me.

Yea. I slept on magic for a while because every spell is a 2 turn cast minimum (one turn to start casting, and 1 turn cast time for the fastest spells), but they're your only way to heal reliably in a fight, and enemies start doing half your hp in damage, somtimes in AOE form, quickly.

Apparently every story has its own main battle theme too?

Which story are you doing @El Fantastico

• Options

I'd even recommend it.

Yea. I slept on magic for a while because every spell is a 2 turn cast minimum (one turn to start casting, and 1 turn cast time for the fastest spells), but they're your only way to heal reliably in a fight, and enemies start doing half your hp in damage, somtimes in AOE form, quickly.

Which story are you doing @El Fantastico

The Q&A chose Urpina for me. I'll probably do Leonard's last because he can get the other 3 main heroes in his story.

• Options
    edited December 2019

I'd even recommend it.

Which story are you doing "El Fantastico"

The Q&A chose Urpina for me. I'll probably do Leonard's last because he can get the other 3 main heroes in his story.

Gotcha. I've got Balmaint. Story's a bit strange, but oh well let's go execute a guy a bunch.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It looks like the remake of Final Fantasy VII will be a timed exclusive, starting from the release of the first episode on 3/3/20, for a one-year period.

Which sounds about right. This does not necessarily confirm what exclusivity may exist for the subsequent episodes (safely assuming they all come out). I'm okay waiting for March 2021 to play the games on the next Xbox console, but admittedly I'm not as hyped for the remake as others.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    It looks like the remake of Final Fantasy VII will be a timed exclusive, starting from the release of the first episode on 3/3/20, for a one-year period.

Which sounds about right. This does not necessarily confirm what exclusivity may exist for the subsequent episodes (safely assuming they all come out). I'm okay waiting for March 2021 to play the games on the next Xbox console, but admittedly I'm not as hyped for the remake as others.

I may or may not be able to get a playstation 4/5, so this is great news for me if a PC version is on the table.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

I may or may not be able to get a playstation 4/5, so this is great news for me if a PC version is on the table.

At the normal $60 price point, I honestly wouldn't kick myself for buying FFVIIremake more than once if it was done competently.

I'm just honestly not that eager to rush into it, especially if this sees heavy post-launch patching from S-E. It's December of 2019....I'm not going to have finished the final chapter of FFXV and all of the episodes before March of 2020. So waiting for it to come to a console I'd prefer to play it is a lot more acceptable.

• Options
    It would be pretty bananas if they continued the story through DLC rather than saving it for part 2, so it begs the question what DLC could be. Aside from summons or cosmetics which is whatever. Extra side stories?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I would hope it would just be cosmetics until the main story is done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I could see doing sidequests that don't really add anything to the plot as DLC (so, not the Icicle Inn films or Vincent's Nibelheim Flashbacks), but I'm blanking on what could be added to Part I in that regard. Midgar was pretty linear.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.