As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So what's the deal? Two more standard-length episodes and then a triple-length finale, yeah?

That does seem like the math, but the timing seems a bit weird. If they come back on the 9th, then they have the 16th, and 23rd (3 weeks) before they finale on the 30th. So, either they skip a week after they come back before the finale (which seems kinda weird, why wouldn't they just come back a week later?), or they do something Jeremy Bearimy about finale so that it only counts as two episodes? Maybe that 1.5 hour time includes the after finale special thing?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I didn't think I could love the ending of this episode any more, but then somebody noticed this:
    Oc3ayWc.png?1

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Am I missing something?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Am I missing something?
    Midway through the episode Chidi notes that Eleanor was cheating at charades by reading the answers off the reflection of his glasses.

At the end of the episode, Chidi unfurls and reads the note that he wrote to himself. Eleanor was again reading the answers off the reflection of his glasses.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Am I missing something?

Her reading the note off his glasses

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I've now watched this episode 3 times already, and this might just be my favorite episode of the whole series, which...man, every episode in this series is great.

Just so everyone is on the same page, the show has 5 episodes left, the first of which is airing January 9th. There is a 3-part finale on January 30th, so that would indicate there's one additional episode that will air on either the 16th or 23rd.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Didn’t they say no one has gotten into the Good Place in 500 years? So Mindy’s plan would have to have been better than Lincoln freeing the slaves, development of the polio vaccine, etc

I don’t think it’s a massive plot hole though. Maybe the plan really was that good.
    Burnage wrote: »
    I didn't think I could love the ending of this episode any more, but then somebody noticed this:
    Oc3ayWc.png?1

God.

Damn.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Just caught up on Episode 8 and 9 and I just have one question: "HOW?!"

How can these two episodes manage to emotionally gut-punch multiple times.

Just the entire second half of episode 9 was so forking good. I was crying by the end.

But episode 8 also managed to hit the feels with:
    Michael's plea to the judge. And Janet's speech to the 3 present members of team cockroach hit hard.

Episode 8 spoilers:
    Bad Janet's defection was beautifully telegraphed and wonderfully executed, but the Janet Group Text Rebellion was not.

steam_sig.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Just caught up on Episode 8 and 9 and I just have one question: "HOW?!"

How can these two episodes manage to emotionally gut-punch multiple times.

Just the entire second half of episode 9 was so forking good. I was crying by the end.

But episode 8 also managed to hit the feels with:
    Michael's plea to the judge. And Janet's speech to the 3 present members of team cockroach hit hard.

Episode 8 spoilers:
    Bad Janet's defection was beautifully telegraphed and wonderfully executed, but the Janet Group Text Rebellion was not.

Biggest heartstrings moment for me in episode 8 was
    The Judge telling Michael, "You won!" and Michael just nodding with a little whimper of acknowledgement. Just the palpable relief he was feeling in that moment after so much has happened.

Ted Danson for all the awards, except also Kristen Bell and Manny Jacinto and Jameela Jamil and William Jackson Harper and D'arcy Carden for all the awards, so maybe just put all the awards in a bag and let them sort it out between them?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Watched season 2-4 over the last two weeks. Quite a ride. Last episode's ending got me real good. Dusty room and all.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Ted Danson for all the awards, except also Kristen Bell and Manny Jacinto and Jameela Jamil and William Jackson Harper and D'arcy Carden for all the awards, so maybe just put all the awards in a bag and let them sort it out between them?

The lists of "Top TV Shows of the Decade" are starting to roll out. I feel like the critics making them are deciding that they should only have one Michael Schur show on their list and are putting Parks and Rec in ahead of the Good Place. I understand, but I feel like they have the order backwards. But honestly, both of the shows and Brooklyn 99 as well deserve to be considered among the best TV of the decade.

I hate to idolize anyone, because I'm a cynic who suspects that everyone has feet of clay, but I idolize Michael Schur a little bit. Every cast member from the leads to supporting characters to the production crews seems to think that he's the nicest guy in show business, and talk about how he tries to ensure that everyone has a safe, reasonable, respectful, and kind work environment. He produces shows that are warm, with people who are all imperfect but who try to do a little better each day. And the shows somehow avoid falling into some sort of saccharine sweetness trap and are consistently among the funniest things on TV, with layers upon layers of humor.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

The lists of "Top TV Shows of the Decade" are starting to roll out. I feel like the critics making them are deciding that they should only have one Michael Schur show on their list and are putting Parks and Rec in ahead of the Good Place. I understand, but I feel like they have the order backwards. But honestly, both of the shows and Brooklyn 99 as well deserve to be considered among the best TV of the decade.

I hate to idolize anyone, because I'm a cynic who suspects that everyone has feet of clay, but I idolize Michael Schur a little bit. Every cast member from the leads to supporting characters to the production crews seems to think that he's the nicest guy in show business, and talk about how he tries to ensure that everyone has a safe, reasonable, respectful, and kind work environment. He produces shows that are warm, with people who are all imperfect but who try to do a little better each day. And the shows somehow avoid falling into some sort of saccharine sweetness trap and are consistently among the funniest things on TV, with layers upon layers of humor.
    The big thing is that he picks people that he trusts, and then actually trusts them. He doesn’t micromanage, and the sheer amount of creativity that appears on his shows come from an implicit trust in all of the teams to do right by the show and fulfill the vision to the best of their ability. When people love their jobs, they step up, and it really shows.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And the shows somehow avoid falling into some sort of saccharine sweetness trap and are consistently among the funniest things on TV, with layers upon layers of humor.

The Good Place is one of the warmest, kindest shows on TV and yet there's seamless references to butthole spiders. Love it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And the shows somehow avoid falling into some sort of saccharine sweetness trap and are consistently among the funniest things on TV, with layers upon layers of humor.

The Good Place is one of the warmest, kindest shows on TV and yet there's seamless references to butthole spiders. Love it.

don't forget the penis flatteners.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Funko Eleanor: This is the Bad Place.
    u92z3dhrqcc2.jpg

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Jason not having a molotov cocktail in his Funko Pop should be on the Wikipedia entry for "missed opportunity".

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Jason not having a motov cocktail in his Funko Pop should be on the Wikipedia entry for "missed opportunity".

He does have an open right hand...

And it's not like Jason holds onto his molotov's for long. They appear, "BORTLES!", they're used.

EDIT: I think the biggest missed opportunity is that they didn't take 20% off the height of Eleanor, and maybe add 20% more height to Tahani. Not because Tahani is taller than the rest of the crew (Jamil is like a half inch taller than Harper or Carden and clearly shorter than Danson), but because it'd give Funko Eleanor a complex.

MorganV on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The cactus gag was only in one episode, that's weird

Coinage wrote: »

Yeah, but they were probably just looking for something to put in her hands to make it more distinct, that that is one of the iconic bits about Janet from early on in the series.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Goddamn, they finally did it. I want a Funko now. This really is the Bad Place.

WACriminal on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yeah, but they were probably just looking for something to put in her hands to make it more distinct, that that is one of the iconic bits about Janet from early on in the series.

Hence the injustice of Jason not having a Molotov. Everybody else got something to hold!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Hence the injustice of Jason not having a Molotov. Everybody else got something to hold!

Well, except for Tahani.

*looks again*

Ohhhhh.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Poor...I want to say Lenny?

Lenny Hemsworth?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I didn't quit catch what was happening. Did Jason spill a drink while Janet made a new one?

Krathoon wrote: »
    I didn't quit catch what was happening. Did Jason spill a drink while Janet made a new one?

In the last episode?
    Jason was falling because he stepped on a marbleized Janet with his trenchwater drink (where he kept that, who knows?) while Janet was making a different drink for Eleanor (she wasn't too keen on the trenchwater drink).

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What we realize is that Janet does not instantly create things. It just happens really fast.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Show returns tomorrow, 1/9

• BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

Note that it has moved to an earlier time, 8:30/7:30c.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Is this the last episode?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453

The last episode is on the 30th.

edited January 2020

Five episodes remain, one tomorrow, 3 on the 30th (90 minutes of TV is I assume 3 episodes), meaning there'll be another 1 either next week or the week after.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, here's the remaining schedule (spoiled for episode titles):
    tamvag8c8sou.png

Piotyr on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wait, I thought the finale was supposed to be 3 episodes.

That list shows 2 for the final day.

Did that change?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I am so disappointed this show is almost over.

:(

Forar wrote: »
    Wait, I thought the finale was supposed to be 3 episodes.

That list shows 2 for the final day.

Did that change?

It might be 2 episodes plus a half hour cast special with Seth Meyers? I know that's also a thing.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I am so disappointed this show is almost over.

:(

Yeah, but also I wish more shows would go out on their own terms like this while they’re still good.

rhylith on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

This is in the middle of Jeopardy GOATs.

Just more proof this is the bad place

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

This is in the middle of Jeopardy GOATs.

Just more proof this is the bad place

Both shows are on Hulu though.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, who else is going to have
    Gonna erase the Earrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrth, erase the Earth

stuck in their heads the next few days?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think I would be justified to say that this is just an amazing, amazing show.