As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    As a Parent, Amazon is becoming a pain. What used to be free with prime is now being splintered to pay channels. Noggin, PBS kids, etc. It sucks when my daughter tries to watch something she’s seen before the switch and now can’t. I’m not about to pay for at least 3 more kid services.

It’s funny when she tries to watch something on prime to find out she can’t but can watch it on another service like Disney +. Someone needs to make an app that congregates all the subs you have into one big list and when you select the movie it opens it in that other App.

Welcome to the anti-consumer streaming service hell future we live in! Wanna stream some anime? Better check Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hi-Dive, and Netflix to see where it's available! Everything is spread out across like 10+ different paid services. It's like we're coming full circle to cable.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    As a Parent, Amazon is becoming a pain. What used to be free with prime is now being splintered to pay channels. Noggin, PBS kids, etc. It sucks when my daughter tries to watch something she’s seen before the switch and now can’t. I’m not about to pay for at least 3 more kid services.

It’s funny when she tries to watch something on prime to find out she can’t but can watch it on another service like Disney +. Someone needs to make an app that congregates all the subs you have into one big list and when you select the movie it opens it in that other App.

Welcome to the anti-consumer streaming service hell future we live in! Wanna stream some anime? Better check Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hi-Dive, and Netflix to see where it's available! Everything is spread out across like 10+ different paid services. It's like we're coming full circle to cable.

Y'know, 15 years ago I wished cable worked more like that - where I could just pay for the specific channels or even shows I wanted to watch.
    I guess it's unsurprising that the glorious future has found a way to monkey's paw that wish into something painful and annoying.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If you have tivo (which does not support disney+ at the moment) you can search through the libraries of all apps (regardless of whether or not you have them) using its search feature

wbBv3fj.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Someone here mentioned the Just Watch app and I highly recommend it. Great way to search across all services for a movie.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Someone here mentioned the Just Watch app and I highly recommend it. Great way to search across all services for a movie.

Just Watch is great and customizable to your particular services and constantly updated. I also recommend it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tivo still exists?!

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Just started Klaus and holy shit is this some gorgeous animation.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I have let my parents use my prime account because they've been getting tired of Netflix and they have been pretty good about knowing what to watch when you say as long as it has a white stripe in the top left corner it's classy. And at least on Apple TV something pops up on the pay stuff saying "you sure you want to pay for this?"

I mean Amazon now thinks I like Murder She Wrote, British murder mystery shows and NYPD Blue and these new VOD Bruce Willis movies but it's getting its use.

I let my ex share my Hulu account, and I can always tell when her mom is visiting, because suddenly my Keep Watching list fills up with 17 different flavors of CSI.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have let my parents use my prime account because they've been getting tired of Netflix and they have been pretty good about knowing what to watch when you say as long as it has a white stripe in the top left corner it's classy. And at least on Apple TV something pops up on the pay stuff saying "you sure you want to pay for this?"

I mean Amazon now thinks I like Murder She Wrote, British murder mystery shows and NYPD Blue and these new VOD Bruce Willis movies but it's getting its use.

I let my ex share my Hulu account, and I can always tell when her mom is visiting, because suddenly my Keep Watching list fills up with 17 different flavors of CSI.

This is why you set up a guest account labelled "Parasite" or "Mooch" or "Mother-in-Law", so the wretched filth of humanity can't contaminate your viewing habit algorithms.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

This is why you set up a guest account labelled "Parasite" or "Mooch" or "Mother-in-Law", so the wretched filth of humanity can't contaminate your viewing habit algorithms.

An even more passive-aggressive method would be to go back several episodes of the season for each of the shows and get that set as the "last watched," so the next time they sign in they are watching episodes they already saw.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

An even more passive-aggressive method would be to go back several episodes of the season for each of the shows and get that set as the "last watched," so the next time they sign in they are watching episodes they already saw.

Hulu already does that for you!

I hate it.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Signed up for Sling's 7 day trial last night and poked around Orange+Blue. I guess it'd work fine for a lot of folks, but it felt janky as hell to me. I'll be sticking with our cable overlords for now.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up about Just Watch... I'll have to teach my daughter how to use it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Signed up for Sling's 7 day trial last night and poked around Orange+Blue. I guess it'd work fine for a lot of folks, but it felt janky as hell to me. I'll be sticking with our cable overlords for now.

Just jumping in, but if you haven’t tried YouTube TV I recommend it. Some mild jankiness still, but on the whole it is in my opinion a better experience than cable, provided your market has local channels available on it.

I believe free trials are available. US only IIRC.

Edit: Also Roku had and presumably still has a cross-service search as well. Tells you which a services it’s available on and (where applicable) at what price.

mcdermott on
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Hulu already does that for you!

I hate it.

Hulu's two states of "Keep Watching":
    1. Oh you already watched half this episode? We decided you wanted that to start from the beginning.
    2. You absolutely wanted to watched those last 30 seconds of credits not the newly added episode, right?

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    You forgot
    3. you finished watching the latest episode? You should watch it again. Watching it again is the most important thing.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    4. You're fifteen episodes down the line now? We're going back to the first episode you watched this week. Have fun navigating the interface to get back to where you were!

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm about to cancel my Sling subscription because F1 season is over. I never had an issue with it. Was very smooth on my Roku. And yes, the Roku will search across apps to see what's available where.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    5. Oh, you already watched half the episode? We think you'll love starting 5 minutes into the next one.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    On to season 3 of The Tudors which could be subtitled What if We Did a Protestant Reformation, But Too Much

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    6. You skipped the first episode intentionally? We'll make you watch it anyway even though you keep stopping it and jumping to the episode you really want!
    (sincerely, Netflix)

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, hopefully with how Another Life ended the damn show stops being full of morons.

On the other hand there's like no where for the show to go that won't be a total ass pull, so the writers just failed all around.

I guess spoiler for Another Life:
    The only inkling of a defense against the aliens is that they were worried about a planet getting blown up. So they could pull a stupid blow up the central control and all the mind-worms/aliens die too.

But god, everything with the Artifact on earth was stupid and everything in space was worse.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, hopefully with how Another Life ended the damn show stops being full of morons.

On the other hand there's like no where for the show to go that won't be a total ass pull, so the writers just failed all around.

I guess spoiler for Another Life:
    The only inkling of a defense against the aliens is that they were worried about a planet getting blown up. So they could pull a stupid blow up the central control and all the mind-worms/aliens die too.

But god, everything with the Artifact on earth was stupid and everything in space was worse.

Another Life spoilers (but honestly you're doing yourself a favor spoiling yourself and then not watching it):
    My guesses would be:
    * Convenient 3rd party alien race shows up to either fight off the crystal aliens on Earth's behalf or gives humanity the knowledge required to defend themselves
    * Crystal aliens enslave Earth and it turns into The Colony only instead of an underground resistance the resistance fighters are aboard whatever the human space craft was called
    * The husband science guy figures out how to hack the crystal aliens via the artifact and discovers some astoundingly simple and ridiculous weakness, like they melt when touched by water or something, and Earth uses it for defense

All of which are terrible. I guess the second one could be okay in the right hands but the writers of Another Life definitely aren't them.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    7. You're all caught up on [insert literally any show]? You should watch episode one of Brooklyn 99.

Actually, this one is legit.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I had Gravity Falls turn up on our Hulu Suggestions and we were both like "Yeah I always heard this show was good, never checked it out though" around Thanksgiving.

We just finished the last episode. Is this one of the best cartoons ever made? We're thinking so. Almost every night she'd get home from work it'd be like "hey, what do you feel like wa--" "MORE GRAVITY FALLS!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We're watching Kim's Convenience, which is very good. Sweet, funny and kind to its characters.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Marriage Story is my favorite movie of the year so far, which makes sense because The Meyerowitz Stories was one of my favorite movies of 2017. Netflix is killing it!

The Head Hunter is up on Shudder today. It's a Medieval Fantasy Horror film and it looks so fucking good. I can't wait to dive right in.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Head Hunter is up on Shudder today. It's a Medieval Fantasy Horror film and it looks so fucking good. I can't wait to dive right in.

Apparently they made it for next to nothing too

Apparently they made it for next to nothing too

This is why I love the horror genre!

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    My bitter, jaundiced heart really needed a new season of Mrs. Maisel right now.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn is further proof that all you need to do to make me laugh is to read off perfectly ordinary lines in Tom Hardy's Bane voice.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    More Chilling Adventures of Kiernan Shipka Being Charming as Hell Saving a Rickety Ass Show on January 24.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am watching State of the Union, a two hander series of very short episodes with Chris O’Dowd and Rosalind Pike about a marriage in difficulty that is basically just talking in a pub. It’s brilliant.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Harley Quinn is further proof that all you need to do to make me laugh is to read off perfectly ordinary lines in Tom Hardy's Bane voice.

I want his coffee mug, it speaks to me:

"Caffeine is my Reckoning"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

Fun fact: the guy playing the banjo in episode 2 of this season is named Dan. Friends call him Danjo.

Source: he's a friend of mine. Plays in like three bands and had an original song in BlacKkKlansman. His wife was a toastmaster at my wedding.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I feel like the more I watch The Tudors the less I understand the English Reformation.

People are being tortured and burned to death for extremely minor differences in Protestant theology. People are being persecuted for simply reading the Bible. Clergy are being given broad powers to basically conduct Catholic Inquisitions in a supposedly Protestant country.

It’s madness.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Sounds like you understand it plenty!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I feel like the more I watch The Tudors the less I understand the English Reformation.

People are being tortured and burned to death for extremely minor differences in Protestant theology. People are being persecuted for simply reading the Bible. Clergy are being given broad powers to basically conduct Catholic Inquisitions in a supposedly Protestant country.

It’s madness.
    The new boss is the same as the old boss

I watched the first episode of season 3 tonight. It was like lip balm for my chapped and bleeding soul.

This discussion has been closed.