As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maybe the [NFL] isn't so bad...

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Writing was on the wall. A whole lotta injuries this year but this roster looked way better than what they've actually been able to accomplish. I expect Tepper to clean house at the end of the season. Norv's offense looked amazing last year when Cam wasn't broken but we lost about 4 games this year because we can't get 1 yard in 4-8 downs.

Welp, here's hoping Cam gets healthy and we hire someone good.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ron Rivera is going to be the Giants next head coach, isn't he?

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Too obvious.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Maximum wrote: »

Too obvious.

It's all falling into place...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really feel they need to get more people into coaching as the trends they are chasing [Belichick's leftovers and McVay's clones is not a good idea}

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There's a huge industry of coaches between college and NFL assistants, but to be a successful HC you have to be the best of the best of the best and who knows how you identify those without giving them a shot.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Can't wait till we fire Garrett and I get to hear 100 different "Dallas in talks with Lincoln Riley????" rumors a day

And then we hire, I dunno, some random special teams coach instead.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    There's a huge industry of coaches between college and NFL assistants, but to be a successful HC you have to be the best of the best of the best and who knows how you identify those without giving them a shot.

Best of the best of the best???

That’s uh, not something that’s been said about Freddie Kitchens, Adam Gase, Anthony Lynn....

I think a lot of coaches are never given a fair shake. It takes more than 2 years to install an offense and a defense and get players that fit your scheme together yet we see a lot of guys come in and are gone after 2 bad years.

Then there is the issue with coach recycling. Teams passion around the same guy who had a year of success once and is now locked into having a job or just hiring from the same crop of assistants.

How many Belichick assistants need to fail before start realizing that they all suck as head coaches?

I mean shit... Its just a matter of time before Josh McDaniels gets another head coaching job.

That’s uh, not something that’s been said about Freddie Kitchens, Adam Gase, Anthony Lynn....

Is this a joke or did you not actually read my post...? I said "successful" and my whole point was that no one is good at evaluating who is HC material.

Except maybe Andy Reid.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Stay the FUCK away from the Giants, Rivera

You know we're going to have to eat this turd for two years even though it's readily apparent that Gettlemen has neither adequately restructured this team for a run down the road or built a team capable of having something besides a top ten draft pick.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    I think a lot of coaches are never given a fair shake. It takes more than 2 years to install an offense and a defense and get players that fit your scheme together yet we see a lot of guys come in and are gone after 2 bad years.

Yeah but the first, do not pass Go requirement for keeping a losing coach- does the team still play for them?

If yes then number two is are you losing games due to coaching failures? and if so are they being corrected or repeated.

A part of me hopes the Giants take Rivera because that means we passed on McCarthy and any chance of the Beav sticking around after we shit can our GM.

Bad coaches are fairly obvious though

Look for teams with lots of penalties and drama

Lane Kiffin
    Rex Ryan
    Anyone the Browns have hired since Belichick

Or look for coaches who don’t go to work/on time:
    Matt Patricia
    Mike McCarthy

Or coaches accused of sexual assault:
    Patricia again
    Vance Joseph

Etc

Is this a joke or did you not actually read my post...? I said "successful" and my whole point was that no one is good at evaluating who is HC material.

Except maybe Andy Reid.

Joke, because I’m in a “dunking on idiot coaches” mood

Andy Reid probably has the best coaching tree of recent times.

Giants probably have the best one as an organization with Parcells having maybe the best of all time.

Walsh > Parcells seems arguable, but Walsh and Parcells are both in Paul Brown's coaching tree so that would be the greatest of all time by default.

Yeah it’s Paul Brown’s tree

His family tree sucks shit though

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

The good news is the first thing Rivera did in Carolina as HC was bench the bs crappy qb they'd just drafted and then draft a good QB.
    So there's a silver lining

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

The good news is the first thing Rivera did in Carolina as HC was bench the bs crappy qb they'd just drafted and then draft a good QB.

Rivera also built a great locker room culture. He really doesn't put up with drama and media bullshit. He's gonna give reporters the same damn answers every interview and he's not gonna throw anybody under the bus.

Rivera really wouldn't be a bad hire for the Giants.

Daniel Jones has been good though.

Except for the fumbles

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    My Twitter feed is trying to make Rivera the next Cowboys coach.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Lane Kiffin
    Rex Ryan

Gregg Williams was not that bad of a head coach for the 8 games he was the HC but he was also one of the two people who started bounty gate

Brainleech wrote: »

Lane Kiffin
    Rex Ryan

Gregg Williams was not that bad of a head coach for the 8 games he was the HC but he was also one of the two people who started bounty gate

The Jets are careening towards promoting him to head coach

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Except for the fumbles

I went back and looked at the QBs in Jimmy Clausen's draft class and the only names I even recognized were Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and Joe Webb.
    That year was fucking bleak

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I recognize Colt McCoy and John Skelton and Mike Kafka from that class as well. The rest though?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I recognize Colt McCoy and John Skelton and Mike Kafka from that class as well. The rest though?

Was that Colt McCoy right after his arm exploded in the natty?

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular

Except for the fumbles

I went back and looked at the QBs in Jimmy Clausen's draft class and the only names I even recognized were Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and Joe Webb.

Hey man, Tim Tebow is the only QB ever drafted by the Broncos who won a playoff game while playing for the Broncos. That puts him up there with Dan Fouts (only QB drafted by the Chargers who won a playoff game with the Chargers) and Patrick Mahomes (only QB drafted by the Chiefs to win a playoff game with the Chiefs).

I just saw that.

SIGH

Just keep losing.

I want Chase Young.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »

Except for the fumbles

Hey man, Tim Tebow is the only QB ever drafted by the Broncos who won a playoff game while playing for the Broncos. That puts him up there with Dan Fouts (only QB drafted by the Chargers who won a playoff game with the Chargers) and Patrick Mahomes (only QB drafted by the Chiefs to win a playoff game with the Chiefs).

Is there a weird caveat to this stat I'm not getting? Because John Elway was drafted by the Broncos

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    kilnborn wrote: »

Except for the fumbles

Is there a weird caveat to this stat I'm not getting? Because John Elway was drafted by the Broncos

John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Then there is the issue with coach recycling. Teams passion around the same guy who had a year of success once and is now locked into having a job or just hiring from the same crop of assistants.

How many Belichick assistants need to fail before start realizing that they all suck as head coaches?

I mean shit... Its just a matter of time before Josh McDaniels gets another head coaching job.

The thing guys from the Belichick tree is there are two kinds, the ones who don't ever seem to get that to be so blunt and uncharismatic as a leader of men you have to be beyond reproach in your game planning. Even a really good coach cant be as shitty to people as Bill is, you have to be an genius to get away with it. Josh washed out because he treats people like crap just like Bill. Then there is the guys who seem nice enough but clearly were never allowed to do much of anything because they worked the defensive side of the ball where Bill makes you a glorified position coach. These guys are simply in over the head with the big gig because they were given credit for results that really they shouldn't have been. Patricia is one of these sort of guys...I bet the players love him but he is wildly in over his head.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    edited December 2019
    I uh think the Lions players probably hate Patricia, on account of the making them run for bullshit reasons, making them practice in snow despite their like next 4 games being in domes, showing up late to work every day but probably beard-splaining to them about work ethic, etc

Also sexual assault

He’s the absolute worst

Captain Inertia on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    They give up , cuz they ain't swole like Ed is!

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Can't imagine how he possibly thought that comment would go over well, even if there was an ounce of truth to it.

(Via ESPN)
    The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

Ryan made the comments early in an interview on the "Murph and Mac" show on KNBR radio in San Francisco on Monday morning when discussing Jackson's success running the ball against the Niners. KNBR is the Niners' radio partner and broadcasts all of the team's games.

"He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

"I regret my choice of words in trying to describe the conditions of the game," Ryan said in the statement. "Lamar Jackson is an MVP-caliber player and I respect him greatly. I want to sincerely apologize to him and anyone else I offended."

According to the team's release, representatives from the Niners reached out to the Ravens, explained what happened, apologized for Ryan's words and said "the matter is not being taken lightly."

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Can't imagine how he possibly thought that comment would go over well, even if there was an ounce of truth to it.

(Via ESPN)
    The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

Ryan made the comments early in an interview on the "Murph and Mac" show on KNBR radio in San Francisco on Monday morning when discussing Jackson's success running the ball against the Niners. KNBR is the Niners' radio partner and broadcasts all of the team's games.

"He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

"I regret my choice of words in trying to describe the conditions of the game," Ryan said in the statement. "Lamar Jackson is an MVP-caliber player and I respect him greatly. I want to sincerely apologize to him and anyone else I offended."

According to the team's release, representatives from the Niners reached out to the Ravens, explained what happened, apologized for Ryan's words and said "the matter is not being taken lightly."

Don't worry there are a bunch of white people saying it totally wasn't racist at all. So we good, unsuspend the man.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.