As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How does chaining work in this game? If I get in a fight with something that I don't want, does running away from the fight break the chain? Or will a chain continue if I run away from unwanted fights?
    I've heard there is no chain. It's just based on your total fainted or caught. Once you pass 500 you can run if you want
    That's what aDrive keeps saying at least. Serebii has the bonuses at the bottom of this page:
    https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/shinypokemon.shtml

More importantly, this was posted on the official Nintendo page, so it's actually legit.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/gigantamax-shiny-pokemon-sword-pokemon-shield-wild-area/

You don't even need to chain! Just the more you fight a Pokemon, the more likely it is to be either brilliant (good IVs and egg moves) or shiny!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also I remember going into the game people talking about how the game just automatically makes you super over-leveled...

Yea that wasn't true at all. I have fought every single trainer and do not swap out or change my team and I still come into each gym with my pokes at or even a level or two below their pokemon.

Yeah I destroyed the first gym but after the second one I noticed I was having a much tougher time in general. the third gym wasn't an issue because my starter was the type counter, but its not been a pushover if I dont run away and level for hours in the wild area before continuing the story.

Yea. Granted I am not using Dynamax but even the non dynamaxed pokes are sometimes dangerous unless I actually use buff skills. Which is something I never do in poke games. But I have had to reload multiple times already!

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Pail's Journal Entry
    Day 47, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I thought a surprise trade was going to be my ticket but instead i keep getting rookidee's. My merry band (barrin snom) may not make it to completing the dex but i will set those poor pokemon free before recycling them in the endless suprise trade loop.

Day 53, still no sign of Feebas or Milotic. I've heard rumors that one will appear on the Murdoch Loch but only in times of fog. Unfortunately i dare not manipulate the weather for fear of breaking my existing collection.

Day 926, I seem to recall there once was a way to request a certain pokemon in exchange for something else...who knows where this secret faustian deal has gone.

Do you want me to breed you one?
    Winky wrote: »
    So uh

Y'all got any of them dittos?

I have multiple boxes of shitty dittos, would you like one? (I only have one good one, sorry)

i appreciate the offer but i must persevere! (Actually i got milotec in Lake outrage late last night).

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Chaining is only a thing in fishing. And that is just for increased glowing pool chance.

It is strange for shiny hunts with encounters basically being just faint 500 and run. We may be missing something more because encounter shiny hunting has shown to be way over odds over and over again for the hunters I've seen.

Its lead to people just masuda methoding over and over which is boring.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Masuda method is boring, yes, but it is also easy enough to do without paying attention that you can easily watch a show or stream while Masuda'ing on your Switch in handheld mode. That's what I did while I was shiny hunting for my Impidimp.

edited December 2019
    Oh yeah I've been running eggs on a mimikyu because shield exclusive. They have made it so much easier to make competitive pokemon it just feels weird that there is no bonus really to ivs and such innately with hunting other than chance.

Hunt for you how you want heh. It is just boring that all the big shiny hunters are breeding.

Jubal77 on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I mean, as much as I talk up shiny hunting in SuMo it's because it's above all else reliable, not so much fun. I don't know that any shiny hunting method was really fun.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I saw my first random shiny, a lunatone I accidentally bumped into in the wild area while EV training

It broke the quick ball and my equal level Coalossal one shot it with a crit ancient power

and the crit was friendship based

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Aye I finally found a ferroseed from a den

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I finally beat the story and have started raiding properly, and I can see myself falling for the "just one more" trap over and over again. I was up way too late last night trying to get a g-max Drednaw to stay in his GD ball (a Heavyball finally did the trick after like 5 tries).

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Masuda method is boring, yes, but it is also easy enough to do without paying attention that you can easily watch a show or stream while Masuda'ing on your Switch in handheld mode. That's what I did while I was shiny hunting for my Impidimp.

I'd argue the battle 500 method is about the same level of monotony and easy to do while watching a TV show, but Masuda has the benefit of easier IVs & Natures, option for ideal Pokeball, Hidden Ability Chance, & you don't have to fight 500 of them before you really get started.

In the end I think its great that people who don't like breeding have a reasonable alternative now.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    HAs are raid pokemon only so the only benefit breeding gets you is IVs and nature which is a largely a non issue right now as they are relatively easy to farm by traditional Pokemon standards.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't usually bother with shiny hunting but maybe I'll try to get a shiny Alcremie just to get the activated charcoal flavoured cream in my collection.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    HAs are raid pokemon only so the only benefit breeding gets you is IVs and nature which is a largely a non issue right now as they are relatively easy to farm by traditional Pokemon standards.

Hidden abilities have a chance to be passed down through breeding as long as one of the parents has it. Hidden Abilities and Gigantamax are like the two things that can't be changed after the fact

Kanden on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »

Hidden abilities have a chance to be passed down through breeding as long as one of the parents has it. Hidden Abilities and Gigantamax are like the two things that can't be changed after the fact

Can gigantamax be passed on through breeding?

• RamiRami Registered User regular

No

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

No

Which is dumb since clearly Leon can do it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    There's a reason Leon is the greatest champion Galar has ever seen. He knows some mystical Pokemon breeding magic that he just refuses to share with everyone else.

edited December 2019

Yes I am aware just the only place to get HA pokemon is through raids. In the past you could get them from chaining breeding or encounters.

Jubal77 on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    There's a reason Leon is the greatest champion Galar has ever seen. He knows some mystical Pokemon breeding magic that he just refuses to share with everyone else.

Leon is just a player character.

I mean, really. Think about it. This dude from podunk nowhere got into a pokemon journey, got hmself a Charmander starter, got a rival (Sonia), never lost a single fight in his entire career, eventually his rival just gave up, while he just kept beating everyone, knows breeding mechanics and shit...

Basically Leon is what we look like to everyone else. And he was right until someone with more Plot Power popped up.

Steam ID: Right here.

Yes I am aware just the only place to get HA pokemon is through raids. In the past you could get them from chaining breeding or encounters.

Breeding has always required a parent of the same species with it's HA, so it can only create more of an HA.

It's always required some gimmick to the encounter I believe. (Speaking of, need to find HA Mincinno murder mouse again)

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I mean, really. Think about it. This dude from podunk nowhere got into a pokemon journey, got hmself a Charmander starter, got a rival (Sonia), never lost a single fight in his entire career, eventually his rival just gave up, while he just kept beating everyone, knows breeding mechanics and shit...

Basically Leon is what we look like to everyone else. And he was right until someone with more Plot Power popped up.

don't forget the most important part of a modern Pokémon PC

a completely over-the-top outfit

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

don't forget the most important part of a modern Pokémon PC

a completely over-the-top outfit

I don't consider my character complete until they look like a disaster. This time, it was the water gym swimsuit top, poison uniform leggings, I forget where the gloves came from but there was only one, a pink skirt, green lipstick, and the black contact lens that give the character a permanent dead-eyed thousand yard stare, so every time a character talks about how they can see the passion burning in my character's eyes, I can chuckle a little.

Also, my league card is an out-of-frame shot of the corner of my hat, as God intended.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I saw my first random shiny, a lunatone I accidentally bumped into in the wild area while EV training

It broke the quick ball and my equal level Coalossal one shot it with a crit ancient power

and the crit was friendship based

my partner got our first random shiny encounter of the game

it was a drifblim with self-destruct

edited December 2019
    Here's my first stab at a competitive team, mind you I have little idea what I'm doing. I think I might possibly drop the light Rain Dance theme since I'm not really doing much with it, that or try to lean into it a lot more?:
    Weezing-Galar
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Haze
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Strange Steam

Pangoro
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash

Drednaw
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Rock Slide
    - Scald
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Dracozolt
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Adamant Nature
    - Bolt Beak
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rain Dance
    - Substitute

Centiskorch
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 0 SpA
    - Knock Off
    - Leech Life
    - Protect
    - Fire Lash

Winky on
    Here's my first stab at a competitive team, mind you I have little idea what I'm doing. I think I might possibly drop the light Rain Dance theme since I'm not really doing much with it, that or try to lean into it a lot more?:
    Weezing-Galar
    Calm Nature
    - Haze
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Strange Steam

Pangoro
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash

Drednaw
    Jolly Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Rock Slide
    - Scald
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
    Sassy Nature
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Dracozolt
    Adamant Nature
    - Bolt Beak
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rain Dance
    - Substitute

Centiskorch
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Leech Life
    - Protect
    - Fire Lash

There's a few important omissions here to address first: Which format is this for, Smogon-style 6v6 singles, or VGC (the official Nintendo competitive format) bring-6-pick-4 doubles? And held items are VERY relevant to competitive builds, so it's important to be planning with that in mind as well.

At first blush I'd say if you did want to use a rain theme, it's important to use a mon with Drizzle like Pelipper instead of one manually using Rain Dance. Losing a turn setting that up is super inefficient comparatively.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited December 2019
    Weezing-Galar
    Calm Nature
    - Haze
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Strange Steam

Pangoro
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash

Drednaw
    Jolly Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Rock Slide
    - Scald
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
    Sassy Nature
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Dracozolt
    Adamant Nature
    - Bolt Beak
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rain Dance
    - Substitute

Centiskorch
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Leech Life
    - Protect
    - Fire Lash

There's a few important omissions here to address first: Which format is this for, Smogon-style 6v6 singles, or VGC (the official Nintendo competitive format) bring-6-pick-4 doubles? And held items are VERY relevant to competitive builds, so it's important to be planning with that in mind as well.

At first blush I'd say if you did want to use a rain theme, it's important to use a mon with Drizzle like Pelipper instead of one manually using Rain Dance. Losing a turn setting that up is super inefficient comparatively.

I put this together for bring-6-pick-3 singles, but I may have been mistaken in believing that was a supported format? I'll have to rethink things if doubles is the official format. Also, good call on the held items, was thinking something like Leftovers for Weezing, Ferrothorn, and Dracozolt, Life Orb for Pangoro, Centiskorch, and Drednaw?

I was hoping to avoid using Pelipper, and it doesn't look like anyone else gets Drizzle. I was also hoping to rely on dynamaxed water attacks causing rain too, but I don't know even if I added more water type attacks on mons if that would make up for not having a Pelipper. Could just toss Drednaw entirely, get rid of Rain Dance, and pick something else for that sixth spot.

Winky on
    Yeah, Drizzle is basically mandatory for rain teams, Drought for sun, etc.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Weezing-Galar
    Calm Nature
    - Haze
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Strange Steam

Pangoro
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash

Drednaw
    Jolly Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Rock Slide
    - Scald
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
    Sassy Nature
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Dracozolt
    Adamant Nature
    - Bolt Beak
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rain Dance
    - Substitute

Centiskorch
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Leech Life
    - Protect
    - Fire Lash

I put this together for bring-6-pick-3 singles, but I may have been mistaken in believing that was a supported format? I'll have to rethink things if doubles is the official format. Also, good call on the held items, was thinking something like Leftovers for Weezing, Ferrothorn, and Dracozolt, Life Orb for Pangoro, Centiskorch, and Drednaw?

I was hoping to avoid using Pelipper, and it doesn't look like anyone else gets Drizzle. I was also hoping to rely on dynamaxed water attacks causing rain too, but I don't know even if I added more water type attacks on mons if that would make up for not having a Pelipper. Could just toss Drednaw entirely, get rid of Rain Dance, and pick something else for that sixth spot.
    You can't have duplicate items in comp

Neither in VGC or Smogon I believe

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Is anyone else getting this issue where your Pokémon won’t breed anymore? Did they add an anti-eugenics mechanic or something? Impidimp and hattena breed just fine, but when I swapped out hattena with a better stat one, they suddenly don’t get along

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Weezing-Galar
    Calm Nature
    - Haze
    - Toxic
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Strange Steam

Pangoro
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Night Slash

Drednaw
    Jolly Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Rock Slide
    - Scald
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn
    Sassy Nature
    - Protect
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Dracozolt
    Adamant Nature
    - Bolt Beak
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rain Dance
    - Substitute

Centiskorch
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Leech Life
    - Protect
    - Fire Lash

Your G-Weezing could use Pain-Split in place of either Toxic or Will-o-wisp. I would put it in place of Toxic honestly. G-Weezing is there to wall physical dudes and you will always want to have them burned. Pain-Split also gives him a recovery move that doubles as an offensive option that can really take a chunk out of something that switches in on it.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is anyone else getting this issue where your Pokémon won’t breed anymore? Did they add an anti-eugenics mechanic or something? Impidimp and hattena breed just fine, but when I swapped out hattena with a better stat one, they suddenly don’t get along
    That quote just means lower egg odds, which are determined by OT and language. Same OT and language = lowest egg rate. The more differences, the higher the new egg rate, and the "better" they get along.

The no eggs quote is that they "prefer to play with other Pokemon".

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Well ain’t I a dummy. It’s not like I’ve been playing these games for the past 20 years or anything 😋

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited December 2019
    Turambar wrote: »

You can't have duplicate items in comp

Neither in VGC or Smogon I believe

Yup. The obvious option is Leftovers on Ferro, Black Sludge on Weezing, and probably rework Dracozolt into a choice scarf set (it's really important it goes first to abuse Bolt Beak). Pangoro and Centiscorch are kind of awkward because of their speed tiers, though Centiscorch can be decently bulky. Maybe ditch Protect to get Assault Vest, make it into a pseudo-special check who hits hard? And then you can get Crunch or Power Whip for coverage, or try to meme a bit by surprising someone with your bulk and trapping them with Fire Spin while you Fire Lash them to death. Or Burn Out as an Overheat-style nuclear option.

Edit: Fire Spin is for singles, obv. Bring-6-pick-3 is an interesting format and they might have some online tourneys using it, so keeping that in mind can't hurt

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Man, G-Max Snorlax, snagged first go.

G-Max Corviknight? Will just fucking not stay in the fucking ball.

ztrEPtD.gif
    IceBurner wrote: »
    That quote just means lower egg odds, which are determined by OT and language. Same OT and language = lowest egg rate. The more differences, the higher the new egg rate, and the "better" they get along.

The no eggs quote is that they "prefer to play with other Pokemon".

I was confused why my Dracozolt wasn't breeding.

Then I looked at him and thought about it for a second.

Guess I'm gonna be using the digging bros.

Alright this has been fun and all, but it's time to get down to brass tacks. To really focus on what matters at the core Pokemon and the very soul of these games.

Which of these outfits is the best?
    ZoGMlim.jpg
    kUlE2uC.jpg
    Us7Kq1W.jpg
    fnTMWHg.jpg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm a goth bitch so i'd go for 2 but i might do a splash of colour with the leggings or gloves

i got a lot of work out of the pink plaid gloves

liEt3nH.png
    This is the face of someone who fed like a hundred reject hamsters to a woodchipper.
    TU8TErU.jpg

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Alright this has been fun and all, but it's time to get down to brass tacks. To really focus on what matters at the core Pokemon and the very soul of these games.

Which of these outfits is the best?
    ZoGMlim.jpg
    kUlE2uC.jpg
    Us7Kq1W.jpg
    fnTMWHg.jpg

#4, but they're all great.