As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Historic defense!

Rofl.

Defense that has feasted on shit teams.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I wasn't claiming the Eagles D was historic by any means...

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think captain howdy was referring to New England's historic D.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think captain howdy was referring to New England's historic D.

Oh, well, nevermind then

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Donner Party was pretty historic!

edited December 2019
    Texans this is like a horror movie make sure they are gone for good before you breathe a sigh of relief!

Oh god the patriots are going to win this on some tom brady miracle bullshit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Texans this is like a horror movie make sure they are gone for good before you breathe a sigh of relief!

Boy would that have been infuriating.

edited December 2019
    admanb wrote: »

Boy would that have been infuriating.

It would have been the most patriots style ending. Recover the onside and then like get an immediate dagger td. "TRUST BELICHECK!"

After this loss tonight the ravens actually have a believable path to the #1 seed, only the bills can play spoiler here, then again they could fuck the pats too.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    One timeout left with eleven minutes to go? I'm sure that won't be a factor.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Everyone in this dialysis unit is watching the game

Folks are getting rowdy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Lol even though it’s bad for my team that’s not an incomplete pass that’s a clear fumble

But with the way the refs have been this year who knows if it gets overturned

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Why the fuck does Seattle have to be so aggravating?

Can they please take a substantial lead early in the fourth quarter, and NOT let their opponents back into the game almost immediately?

It's like they WANT the drama.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Wilson.....

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    2 minute warning, 1st down, Vikings with one timeout to prevent.

And I'm STILL not confident that Seattle won't give it back to the Vikings.

Granted, I don't have confidence that Cousins will do anything with it, as he's pretty consistently mediocre in big time games in prime time, especially on the road.

Still, I'd rather Seattle NOT fuck around.

Seattle always plays to the level of their opponents, unless the opponents are much much better, i.e. The Ravens.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that Vikings have a pick six and a touchdown post short field fumble that kept them afloat despite a very meh night from their offense overall.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Vikings have a pick six and a touchdown post short field fumble that kept them afloat despite a very meh night from their offense overall.

While that's true, Seattle had 10pts off short field turnovers too.

Kirk Cousins is 0-8 on MNF, you can take that to the bank. THE BLOOD BANK!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

And Wilson has like an 85% win percentage in primetime. You want to a decent shot to beat Seattle, make sure it's no later than 4:30pm EST at kickoff.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Which, given he hasn't played on a truly terrible team (as a franchise QB, he's gone 9-7, 8–7–1, 7–9, 8–7–1 (again), and 8-4 so far), is quite impressive, from a statistical perspective.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

And Wilson has like an 85% win percentage in primetime. You want to a decent shot to beat Seattle, make sure it's no later than 4:30pm EST at kickoff.

Wilson has a .7 win percentage over all non-playoff games. (Well seahawks last 8 seasons)

wbBv3fj.png
    It's clear Booger is a bad second banana to Tessatore (who needs help, but doesn't, by himself, make me want to punch the screen).

But seriously, is there anything more fucking banal than "Mic'd Up"?

"Full transcript of Russell Wilson's mic'd up segments tonight:
    "Let's go!"
    "Hey that a way baby!"
    "Great job!"
    "OK, OK!"
    "I see you two four!"
    "Let's go!"
    "OK three two, let's finish it."
    Full transcript of Russell Wilson's teammates mic'd up tonight:"
    - Will Brinson is a CBS Sports reporter.

I mean, Wilson isn't the most genuine person, and that he has to reference people by their number does bring up whether he can't remember their names, or if it's some kind of affectation he's picked up (and it sounds fucking stupid), but in the history of the segment, have they ever had someone say something positive and insightful?

Other than catching a QB who was struggling (Darnold or Goff?), which has made the team swear off participating in the segment?

Just seems like a stupid pointless waste of time, every time they run a segment.

I assume mic’d up catches a ton of rad strategy discussion, audibles, and other pre-play chatter that they can’t run because it would end up being used in film rooms.

I like the stuff that slips through like the MLB yelling “I’m not the Mike!” back at the QB, or Cam Newton saying “watch this” when Clay Matthews (I think) tried to call their red zone route.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I assume mic’d up catches a ton of rad strategy discussion, audibles, and other pre-play chatter that they can’t run because it would end up being used in film rooms.

I like the stuff that slips through like the MLB yelling “I’m not the Mike!” back at the QB, or Cam Newton saying “watch this” when Clay Matthews (I think) tried to call their red zone route.

Cam Newton and Greg Olsen have the best mic'd up exchange ever.

"Even Janitor! -"
    "...is that a real thing?"
    "-Yeah. HUT!"

e: Apparently it was actually one of the Guards, not Olsen, and apparently it wasn't mic'd up, just caught on the mics on field. Also it was apparently only recorded to Vine, and is now long gone. Sadly.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

I remember "I'm not the Mike!". That was funny.

I guess it's more, with the self-censorship of the gameplay stuff you mentioned, I just figure that if they're going to do it, then do it because it's interesting, and not just because you feel obligated to.

It's like if they felt the need to show the coach during a lull every game. Sometimes it might catch something interesting. But most of the time it's just going to be the coach staring at his playsheet, scratching his ass. Don't show that, and especially don't show a recording of that. I guess that's really my issue. These aren't live moments. These are recorded, and editted for a segment. If you've got nothing cool to show for that 30 seconds, don't show anything. And don't hype it as interesting.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

I remember "I'm not the Mike!". That was funny.

I guess it's more, with the self-censorship of the gameplay stuff you mentioned, I just figure that if they're going to do it, then do it because it's interesting, and not just because you feel obligated to.

It's like if they felt the need to show the coach during a lull every game. Sometimes it might catch something interesting. But most of the time it's just going to be the coach staring at his playsheet, scratching his ass. Don't show that, and especially don't show a recording of that. I guess that's really my issue. These aren't live moments. These are recorded, and editted for a segment. If you've got nothing cool to show for that 30 seconds, don't show anything. And don't hype it as interesting.

This just makes me think of how television broadcasts always insist on showing us shots of the audience reacting to a fireworks show. Like, in what universe is that ever going to be as interesting as the actual fireworks?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The entire Miami game felt like the Dolphins were one play away from falling into a ditch, but it never happened. Especially since the very first pass Fitz threw was an interception.

Anytime they tried something weird or dumb though, I was all in. They aren't going to hit .500, let alone have any kind of post-season action, so let them run any play they want. Onside kick to start the second half? A TD pass from the punter to the kicker? Gimme all that shit.

sig.gif
    It's clear Booger is a bad second banana to Tessatore (who needs help, but doesn't, by himself, make me want to punch the screen).

The MNF crew feels like a college broadcast team assigned to a regional game between San Jose State and UC Davis.

And McFarland needs to stop sucking Cousins' dick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083687/article/carolina-panthers-fire-head-coach-ron-rivera

So, Ron Rivera has been fired by Carolina.

I'm kinda split. Yeah, he hasn't been doing a fantastic job since the Panthers fucking sucked in Superbowl 50. But Cam's persistent injuries haven't helped, and he still went 24-24 in the three years prior to this one. Granted, this year is looking to be a second losing season in a row (currently 5-7, with @ATL, SEA, @IND, NO to go. Winning three isn't impossible, the two hardest games are in Carolina, but I wouldn't put money on it).

My question though is, who the fuck are they going to hire that's better? It's the big question. I see it all the time with things like Baltimore prior to this year, and Pittsburgh almost every year.

It's not like there's a big stock of unutilised talent out there to draw from. It's one of those positions where good coaches stay where they are. Unless Belichick, Harbaugh, Carroll, or Payton are considering a switch, it's probably going to be a lateral move at best.

And it's not like it's a great spot to move into. Your franchise QB is injury prone as fuck. Your backup is problematic. Outside of McCafferey, all your real talent is aging out (Kuechley and Olsen can't have more than a year or two left). And you're not bad enough you'll get a good draft position.

So, while Rivera might not be "the solution", who are they gonna get that's better?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083687/article/carolina-panthers-fire-head-coach-ron-rivera

I'm kinda split. Yeah, he hasn't been doing a fantastic job since the Panthers fucking sucked in Superbowl 50. But Cam's persistent injuries haven't helped, and he still went 24-24 in the three years prior to this one. Granted, this year is looking to be a second losing season in a row (currently 5-7, with @ATL, SEA, @IND, NO to go. Winning three isn't impossible, the two hardest games are in Carolina, but I wouldn't put money on it).

My question though is, who the fuck are they going to hire that's better? It's the big question. I see it all the time with things like Baltimore prior to this year, and Pittsburgh almost every year.

It's not like there's a big stock of unutilised talent out there to draw from. It's one of those positions where good coaches stay where they are. Unless Belichick, Harbaugh, Carroll, or Payton are considering a switch, it's probably going to be a lateral move at best.

And it's not like it's a great spot to move into. Your franchise QB is injury prone as fuck. Your backup is problematic. Outside of McCafferey, all your real talent is aging out (Kuechley and Olsen can't have more than a year or two left). And you're not bad enough you'll get a good draft position.

So, while Rivera might not be "the solution", who are they gonna get that's better?

50/50 Rivera lands in New York as part of Gettlemens two year farewell tour

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Urban
    Dabo
    Joe Harbaugh
    Mack Brown
    A Kyle Shanahan lackey

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Cam Newton and Greg Olsen have the best mic'd up exchange ever.

"Even Janitor! -"
    "...is that a real thing?"
    "-Yeah. HUT!"

e: Apparently it was actually one of the Guards, not Olsen, and apparently it wasn't mic'd up, just caught on the mics on field. Also it was apparently only recorded to Vine, and is now long gone. Sadly.

I desperately hope the play ended up with the guard yelling "BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN, TH--" before getting bodied by a rusher and allowing a sack.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Last nights game was vintage 2019 Seahawks. My heart and liver can’t take this bullshit but I also can’t complain. 10-2 when we could Just as easily be 4-8.

On to wherever. It doesn’t matter because it’ll suck but we might win.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

But seriously, is there anything more fucking banal than "Mic'd Up"?

"Full transcript of Russell Wilson's mic'd up segments tonight:
    "Let's go!"
    "Hey that a way baby!"
    "Great job!"
    "OK, OK!"
    "I see you two four!"
    "Let's go!"
    "OK three two, let's finish it."
    Full transcript of Russell Wilson's teammates mic'd up tonight:"
    - Will Brinson is a CBS Sports reporter.

I mean, Wilson isn't the most genuine person, and that he has to reference people by their number does bring up whether he can't remember their names, or if it's some kind of affectation he's picked up (and it sounds fucking stupid), but in the history of the segment, have they ever had someone say something positive and insightful?

Other than catching a QB who was struggling (Darnold or Goff?), which has made the team swear off participating in the segment?

Just seems like a stupid pointless waste of time, every time they run a segment.

The bigger problem here is that Russell Wilson is a boring nerd. Even his teammates ignore him- nobody responded to anything he said to them and he looked like a sad sack trying to get in on the hot shit boy band dance the receivers were doing after the David Moore bomb.

I love Russ and I cherish him as my QB but there’s really never any reason to listen to anything he has to say.

Go Hawks.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I've said this before and elsewhere but Russell Wilson is what I imagine would happen if the greatest scientific minds created a robot that only spoke in football cliches.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Gyral wrote: »
    I've said this before and elsewhere but Russell Wilson is what I imagine would happen if the greatest scientific minds created a robot that only spoke in football cliches.

If you wanted to create a robot to play football, getting it drafted by Seattle is a pretty good idea. And I bet it wouldn’t be that hard to convince an ex-pop star to “marry” it in exchange for a big fat paycheck.

It’s harder to explain his college career and first marriage, but I’m sure we could work through it.

In a league with wife beaters, child beaters, and general shit heads, I'll take a lot more Russ Wilsons.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The NFL trained an AI by making it watch 10,000 coach and player press conferences.

Russ is the result.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

I don't know that I'd read that much into him calling Penny by his number. It doesn't seem that uncommon in the league and is probably closer to referring to someone by their handle or callsign than it initially seems. He still bland as hell though.

I always thought that the NFL did those micd up segments better than the NBA. The NBAs are about as interesting as listening to Wilson. I also don't ever remember it being an ESPN segment. Was it NFL films that used to do it?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    NFL films used to this thing where they'd cut a few different players' recordings together and make kind of a game narrative out of it

I dunno if they still do it but I assume not that many game+audio combos lend themselves to it that well

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.