As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    Pictures of the sister/celestian kit are out in the wild. They are on 3 sprues. More than 30 heads. Looks like it comes with a heavy bolter and flamer each plus four of each regular flamer, melta, storm bolter. Pretty nice compared to something like the csm terminator kit. Presumably the retributor kit will have all the multi meltas.

GW needs to stay a head of the competition, and 30 heads is better than one.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Just read the goonhammer review of the nids half of the next supplement.
    Seems ok....
    • The custom chapter Hive Fleet adaptations are all pretty meh.
    • Some of the adaptive physiologies are very good and losing your warlord trait doesn't hurt the army at all, as all their warlord traits are trash. +2 in cover, -1/-2 ap shooting treated at 0, 2d6 consolidate, 6" heroic intervention are all infantry options. Monstrous critters have a 5++ & double your wound chart, +d3 mortal wounds to a unit that had models die from your shooting phase, regain 1w up to 3w for melee kills, gain SOTW & Synapse, and +1 S/D/AP on one melee weapon
    • Also a sweet Resonance Barb – Psyker only This model can manifest an additional power per turn and deny an extra power. Also, when you take a psychic test, add 1 to the total.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Have we heard any tau changes?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Probably next year as the rumors seems to be around when the stuff is about 4 to 6 weeks out

but it was the last book in the series #6 of the psychic awakening the Saga of the Beast where my brother did say that's the box of Orks VS Space wolves. With the other interesting news since each book has legendary heroes will include reborn, reimagined and brand-new characters. He says Logan will sadly die and Ragnar will get pickled I know of the rumor that Ghazghkull gets a new mini this is a rumor Illuminor Szeras is getting a dreadnaught sized base? But the other resin necrons over the next year will be replaced with plastic ones
    So I am curious about the Tau as well

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The LGS I go to had two or three of the sisters box. Didn't count for an exact amount. Guess they aren't too popular at my LGS.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Some quick background: my homebrew Space Marine chapter was only founded a couple of hundred years before the Fall of Cadia, so they were still essentially brand new when the Cicatrix Maledictum/8th edition happened. I really liked some of the 30k models, and ended up getting my hands on some mk3 marines, a Contemptor, a bunch of mk1 based rhino/razorbacks/whirlwinds/vindicators/etc, and a bunch of old bits. I had to come up with a reason why a brand new chapter would be operating with scattered bits of heresy era gear, and the answer was that since my chapter was created to cleanse Space Hulks in a specific area of space they would have found an ancient imperial starship that was part of a hulk, and would have been fortuitously lucky in finding an intact armory and motor pool with some equipment left.

I also got a really good deal on a Fellblade (which was the original impetus for trying to come up with an in-lore reasoning for my dudes having heresy era stuff since there's no way a 200 year old unproven chapter would have been given a 10,000+ year old tank that was a sacred imperial relic).

I ended up going ahead with the offer I was given to buy an Adeptus Titanicus Grandmaster Edition at wholesale, and it should be arriving on Thursday. I had an idea and found a dirt cheap but complete Epic Fellblade on Ebay and ordered it today. The plan is to use it as part of the base for one of my Titanicus Warlord Titans, and paint it up the same as my 40K Fellblade so I can say it's the same tank, only 10,000 years before my chapter found it.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

For awakening no. For CA yes.

Basically no changes to drones or riptides, stormsurges got cheaper, as did crisis suits, a bunch of guns, the ghostkeel and the stealth suit. Kroot are 4ppm now as well.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bought a Scorpius Disintegrator yesterday. Also PA:Faith and Fury plus the new Sorc model. Because I am just that big of a Chaos nerd. I also needed a jump Sorc and had some extra possessed wings laying about.

zub0L0o.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    does anyone have a link for where I could get waterslide transfers? specifically Blood Angels ones.
    seems GW is no longer selling them standalone.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    does anyone have a link for where I could get waterslide transfers? specifically Blood Angels ones.

I might have some, do you have a picture of what youre looking for?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2019
    I have approximately 4000 space marines transfer sheets
    I can just mail them for free if you give me your address

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I have approximately 4000 space marines transfer sheets
    I can just mail them for free if you give me your address

Which ones?

I still feel Gw should do a print on demand for some of the ones they have not made in years like the double helix siam hann snake
    yudfzuhrc89i.png
    Or the forgeworld one they had a couple of years ago with the corsairs
    87jb8j388uvb.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Testing new scheme.
    mgxw2zxpkt2a.jpeg
    The blue just wouldn’t work right.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    What are the downsides of running a successor chapter of IH or IF?

Just no named characters?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

No named characters, and if I remember right GW tried to FAQ that if you were a successor chapter you weren't able to use the one official warlord trait from the founding chapter, but literally no one cares.

Honestly though, if my opponent had built a successor chapter and were using characters from the founding chapter it wouldn't really bother me as long as they were using the same chapter tactics as their founding chapter. If the only difference between Sgt. Chronus and Sgt. Bronus is the paintjob and the icon on the shoulderpad than whatever. I have an Iron Hands successor (not bandwagoning, I started them halfway through 7th edition), and I use Feirros and no one I've played has said anything. In my opinion, the best part about playing Space Marines (and the reason I decided to start with them as my first army a few years ago) was that you could create your own chapter and write your own lore, make your own characters, come up with your own paintscheme, etc. Now the ability to heavily customize your army based on its regiment/clan/group/warband/whatever is really common, but for a long time it was an exclusively Space Marine thing.

Which chapter are you thinking of building a successor to?

• Options

Create your own. I thought the chapter approved had rules for custom captains and such

My brother has an autarch that is legal under the Xenos book and not so in the craftworlds {I let it slide because it's not game breaking} They have a warp pack, a Striking scorpion helm. the scorpion's claw n sword basically a Striking scorpion Exarch's gear with a warp pack] I have one with swooping hawk wings a pair of scorpion swords and a howling banshee mask I just use them to harass and annoy

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

No named characters, and if I remember right GW tried to FAQ that if you were a successor chapter you weren't able to use the one official warlord trait from the founding chapter, but literally no one cares.

Honestly though, if my opponent had built a successor chapter and were using characters from the founding chapter it wouldn't really bother me as long as they were using the same chapter tactics as their founding chapter. If the only difference between Sgt. Chronus and Sgt. Bronus is the paintjob and the icon on the shoulderpad than whatever. I have an Iron Hands successor (not bandwagoning, I started them halfway through 7th edition), and I use Feirros and no one I've played has said anything. In my opinion, the best part about playing Space Marines (and the reason I decided to start with them as my first army a few years ago) was that you could create your own chapter and write your own lore, make your own characters, come up with your own paintscheme, etc. Now the ability to heavily customize your army based on its regiment/clan/group/warband/whatever is really common, but for a long time it was an exclusively Space Marine thing.

[bolding mine]

Agreed. It honestly seems kind of bizarre to me that GW even made this a thing. Like, as long as everything a player's using in a given detachment is from one army's source materials, why would anyone ever give a shit?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

My FLGS has a printer, I need to look into PDFs of such and transfer paper.

I figure it's kosher since they don't make Blood Ravens transfers.

• Options
    Their logic is that Robute Guilliman is the chapter master of the Ultramarines, not any of the Ultramarine successors, which makes perfect sense from a lore standpoint, but it's kinda dumb when it comes to actually putting models on the table. I wish they would make more chapter specific models that weren't named characters though. Age of Sigmar is really good about this, you'll get a model like Vandus Hammerhand or Korgos Khul that are specific named characters from specific stormhosts or warbands, but if you want you can also use the model as a generic Lord Celestant or Mightly Lord of Khorne that might have different abilities and point costs.

If they did something like have Sgt. Chronus being a named character, but the model could also be used as a generic Vehicle Sergeant in successor armies, or a Fierros that could be used as a generic Primaris Techmarine for Iron Hands successor chapters that would be pretty cool.

If you do use a named character and your opponent gives you grief about it (or if you're going to a tournament), just justify it with lore and say that you're the original chapter but you're using a crusade/campaign color scheme. In old Space Marine lore they would occasionally repaint their armor (and add badges to their armor) during specific campaigns or crusades to show solidarity with other forces who were engaged in the same operation.

• Options
    edited December 2019

-snip-.

I'm undecided... Either Fists, Templars or IH (totally bandwagonning :lol: )

My buddy and I play a lot of narrative stuff with matched play rules, but some mixed factions ("dark mechanicus" allied to chaos, etc) and he plays exclusively "good guys", so I'm looking at throwing together a fluffy successor that has some far fetched reason to fight his space wolves/GK/DA/Salamanders... Mostly I just love the Primaris line and want an excuse to build and customize some of their models.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    And if someone is complaining that your space marines, which are using ultramarine rules, happen to be painted neon pink with green stripes or whatever instead of blue, tell them to go fuck themselves.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    There could be a misunderstanding, an accusation of heretical activity, besmirched honor, or any number of reasons why two loyalist Space Marine chapters could end up fighting each other.

Alternately you could just say that they're not using actual ammo and the battles are just wargames/a joint training exercise between both chapters.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The hierarchies of the 40k setting are so rigid that fighting within the same faction is incredibly simple to justify: "My orders are to secure the objective" "No, MY orders are to secure the objective!" and now they shoot at each other, the end.

For the various "bad guy" factions it's even easier because they're over the top crazy as well as dogmatic.

• Options
    There could be a misunderstanding, an accusation of heretical activity, besmirched honor, or any number of reasons why two loyalist Space Marine chapters could end up fighting each other.

Alternately you could just say that they're not using actual ammo and the battles are just wargames/a joint training exercise between both chapters.

I thought about the bolded...

...but I totally wanna kill his dudes. Grudge match all the way.

Semi-related... We started a campaign from one of the vigilus books that starts with a battle on the bridge of a ship. The major victory condition means my daemonic incursion crashed the ship and wiped out the chapter on board... So game one I wiped out his space wolves and now he's playing his salamanders/GK the rest of the campaign :lol:

No holds barred

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Their logic is that Robute Guilliman is the chapter master of the Ultramarines, not any of the Ultramarine successors, which makes perfect sense from a lore standpoint, but it's kinda dumb when it comes to actually putting models on the table. I wish they would make more chapter specific models that weren't named characters though. Age of Sigmar is really good about this, you'll get a model like Vandus Hammerhand or Korgos Khul that are specific named characters from specific stormhosts or warbands, but if you want you can also use the model as a generic Lord Celestant or Mightly Lord of Khorne that might have different abilities and point costs.

If they did something like have Sgt. Chronus being a named character, but the model could also be used as a generic Vehicle Sergeant in successor armies, or a Fierros that could be used as a generic Primaris Techmarine for Iron Hands successor chapters that would be pretty cool.

If you do use a named character and your opponent gives you grief about it (or if you're going to a tournament), just justify it with lore and say that you're the original chapter but you're using a crusade/campaign color scheme. In old Space Marine lore they would occasionally repaint their armor (and add badges to their armor) during specific campaigns or crusades to show solidarity with other forces who were engaged in the same operation.

It's particularly annoying when you play AdMech. Or as they're known, Cawl's Mars Mad Lads and those other Forge Worlds that can't take Cawl.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Not likely. Live fire training seems very Imperial to me. Probably some bureaucrats decided it was cheaper to replace an occasional guardsman than run two separate supply lines for ammo.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Not likely. Live fire training seems very Imperial to me. Probably some bureaucrats decided it was cheaper to replace an occasional guardsman than run two separate supply lines for ammo.

In the Ferrus Manus Primarch book, the first chapter is a war game exercise between the Iron Hands and Emperor's Children using paintballs and un-powered power weapons. The first part of that book is a pretty interesting look at Legions palling around being bros and gives some insight into the non-meat-grinder fights in the setting, so it's not unheard of for Imperium forces using non-lethal training even during the Great Crusade, which had way more bodies than current 40k fights.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

in exchange for being able to choose your chapter tactics: no chapter-specific characters, need to spend 1cp for chapter relics, in IF's case you can't use the siegebreaker cohort.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

in exchange for being able to choose your chapter tactics: no chapter-specific characters, need to spend 1cp for chapter relics, in IF's case you can't use the siegebreaker cohort.

A lot of the current meta list actually are successors. You take stuff like master artisan and stealthy instead of the IH trait but use the IH super doctrine because it alone is amazing. So you get the no penalty to move and shoot with heavy weapons plus the rerolls on units that are considered to always be in cover if 12" away that have a built in full reroll to one shot and wound like Salamanders. And you can spend a cp and get the Ironstone.

A few other builds as well for like White Scars and Ravenguard. White Scars especially with their assault centurions and the fact you can slingshot them 25" across the board in a turn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I kind of think GW might have to go back and tweak Master Artisan/Expert Crafters at some point, I don't think they realised exactly how strong that trait is. Two free rerolls per unit per phase is absolutely bonkers if you build for it.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    I kind of think GW might have to go back and tweak Master Artisan/Expert Crafters at some point, I don't think they realised exactly how strong that trait is. Two free rerolls per unit per phase is absolutely bonkers if you build for it.

Thing is no one took Salamanders which have had since basically the start of 8th due to the old Codex being centered around Bobby G. Now that anyone can take it and keep super doctrines that are in a way better than Sallys it is a big deal.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Stragint wrote: »
    The LGS I go to had two or three of the sisters box. Didn't count for an exact amount. Guess they aren't too popular at my LGS.

My LGS had four. I was seriously tempted from a purely zeitgeist/FOMO point of view...but then I remembered that Sisters don't actually interest me as an army at all.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

A lot of the current meta list actually are successors. You take stuff like master artisan and stealthy instead of the IH trait but use the IH super doctrine because it alone is amazing. So you get the no penalty to move and shoot with heavy weapons plus the rerolls on units that are considered to always be in cover if 12" away that have a built in full reroll to one shot and wound like Salamanders. And you can spend a cp and get the Ironstone.

A few other builds as well for like White Scars and Ravenguard. White Scars especially with their assault centurions and the fact you can slingshot them 25" across the board in a turn.

I hadn't thought about how custom chapters interacted with doctrines. That's pretty cool. Are the rules referencing doctrines in the custom chapter section of that codex?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

My LGS had four. I was seriously tempted from a purely zeitgeist/FOMO point of view...but then I remembered that Sisters don't actually interest me as an army at all.

Yea, I'm not interested in a full army but I do kind of want to do a KT with them. I think my money is better used waiting for the actual separate releases though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    So with the points drops from CA a unit of ten Fulgurite Priests in a Dunerider is 213 points.

Thinking of just going for a brigade (since crappy elites were what sort of pushed me towards double battalion in the first place) and running three units with a character tagging along with Prime Hermeticon trait to give them all reroll hits in CC. (The Omniscient Mask is sadly Skitarii only.) I haven't played with or against many transports this edition - is running the hoverboats fifteen inches forward, popping smoke, and then tossing the electro-lunatics out to charge actually viable, or just a gigantic distraction carnifex?

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »
    So with the points drops from CA a unit of ten Fulgurite Priests in a Dunerider is 213 points.

Thinking of just going for a brigade (since crappy elites were what sort of pushed me towards double battalion in the first place) and running three units with a character tagging along with Prime Hermeticon trait to give them all reroll hits in CC. (The Omniscient Mask is sadly Skitarii only.) I haven't played with or against many transports this edition - is running the hoverboats fifteen inches forward, popping smoke, and then tossing the electro-lunatics out to charge actually viable, or just a gigantic distraction carnifex?

From my experience with rhinos, distraction carnifexes.

Really I think priest need a drill to get in. Or maybe the new flyer?

I want a drill so badly for my chaos and ad mech.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    If I were to play Ad Mech, I'd be sorely tempted to load up a drill full of Sicarian Ruststalkers painted purple and black.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »

From my experience with rhinos, distraction carnifexes.

Really I think priest need a drill to get in. Or maybe the new flyer?

I want a drill so badly for my chaos and ad mech.

The drills are like 150pts or something dumb though, although they are at least threats in their own right

Unfortunately they're also like $175 or something and fuck that

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    I have a ad mech army via kill team, Forgebane and other things I am tempted to do Ryza that off orange as mine