As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I am so goddamn hyped for Reach. It was my absolute favorite Halo game just because of how great the story was. I am such a sucker for Last Stand stories.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I've never actually played reach, so I suspect I'm in for a treat whenever I pick this up

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My favourite thing about reach was it was just about humans v covenant, which is always the best part of halo

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    If I'm getting into Halo for the first time via GamePass, do I need to play them in order, or should I just skip to the good one (which I've heard via osmosis is either ODST or Reach)?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    While it's not my favorite, I'd recommend starting with Reach. It's the most "modern" Bungie-era Halo game so it'll be easy to jump into.

Then at that point play in release order if you're still enjoying it. CE, 2, 3, ODST, 4, 5.

CE, 3 and ODST are my personal favorites.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Reach and ODST are both fairly self contained. I think ODST is more tonally in line with the main trilogy, which might make it a better introduction, but it also might spoil some stuff in Halo 2 a bit. Kinda obliquely, so if you're not absolutely hardline no spoiling you might be fine with it.
    There's always the option of just starting with CE, but I think the level design in that has aged pretty poorly, so if old game roughness is offputting for you then starting with Reach or ODST is probably a better choice.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Chronologically, it goes Reach -> Halo -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST during 3 -> Halo 4.

But it might be really hard to go from reach to halo 1 and 2, so its really up to you.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I was hoping to go in release order but that's going to be tough owning only Reach and it being the only one out right now.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmm I still can't launch, is it late today?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hmm I still can't launch, is it late today?

It doesn't release til tomorrrow

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Winter Contingency has begun, Halo: Reach is launched.

And I gotta say this: it's good. It never felt right to me using thumbsticks...so now, things are right in the (Halo)world.

Although, I do feels like there's a teeny issue where you can't crouch if you're moving. Not sure if that's just me or something in the game.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Ah, appropriate day for this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQI6oA2Rd8

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So uh

Is anybody able to actually launch this on PC? I hit Play in the Xbox app and it just sits there....not loading the game. All other games in the Xbox app work fine.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    So uh

Is anybody able to actually launch this on PC? I hit Play in the Xbox app and it just sits there....not loading the game. All other games in the Xbox app work fine.

After a little hiccup when I first launched it this morning at 11am, everything's been working fine. Played from 11:05am to 12:15pm.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So uh

After a little hiccup when I first launched it this morning at 11am, everything's been working fine. Played from 11:05am to 12:15pm.

Ugh

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it ran once, then said it had to install Reach (not sure what it had been doing before...) And now won't load again

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I haven’t played a Halo game in forever. I think maybe 2 when it was new? I fired up CE and I am having so much trouble with the yesteryear controls. I’m just going to go play Reach next, hoping it’s more palatable for my questionable abilities.

Red vs Blue was my favorite Halo related thing and I see I have missed some new seasons having been released. I wonder if it’s still as fun as it once was?

Nice to have this chance to check this out just because I Black Friday shopped an Xbox with a Star Wars game so I could have a decent 4K blu ray player for my new tv.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I haven’t played a Halo game in forever. I think maybe 2 when it was new? I fired up CE and I am having so much trouble with the yesteryear controls. I’m just going to go play Reach next, hoping it’s more palatable for my questionable abilities.

Red vs Blue was my favorite Halo related thing and I see I have missed some new seasons having been released. I wonder if it’s still as fun as it once was?

Nice to have this chance to check this out just because I Black Friday shopped an Xbox with a Star Wars game so I could have a decent 4K blu ray player for my new tv.

You chose... wisely.

• Options

I'm curious when you last watched RvB. I still watch the show though I'm much less invested in it nowadays.

The first 6 seasons were excellent. There was a dip in quality for the next two seasons, and then a nosedive in the following two seasons as the show got way too into its Freelancer fiction. The recent seasons have all been decently entertaining but forgettable in comparison. Still entertaining enough to be worth watching.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The R v. B crew vs the Meta is still one of my favorites Halo fights ever.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’ll have to take some time and look through the episodes but it has been a few years since I watched RvB. The first few episodes elicited some of my most memorable laughing attacks that I can recall but good god that was so long ago. I was a completely different human being back then!

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    So uh

Ugh

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it ran once, then said it had to install Reach (not sure what it had been doing before...) And now won't load again

Exact same thing is happening for me. Its apparently a known bug, this worked for me as a work-around:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/halo-mcc-reach-not-launching-windows-store-fix/31775edb-86c8-4e07-b189-cab6eaf73644/posts

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Reach is fun. I'm about halfway through a solo legendary playthrough. It's funny how I remember a few of the old exploits I hadn't thought about in almost a decade, such as skipping part of Nightfall through a conveniently-placed forklift, or entering the pelican turret in Long Night of Solace.

My impression from the original game was that Reach was almost excellent but was full of tiny little issues that hurt the experience. Many of those problems are still there, but I've had years to temper my expectations and can enjoy it for what it is.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I remember the forklift glitch. I think it was mainly used for weekly challenges?

I'm working on a Heroic playthrough. I did the original solo Legendary run back on the 360 and have no desire to bring that pain again.

I played a couple of Reach multiplayer games and was immediately reminded why I prefer Halo 2 and 3, so I will probably just stick to those.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Heroth wrote: »
    So uh

Ugh

Exact same thing is happening for me. Its apparently a known bug, this worked for me as a work-around:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/halo-mcc-reach-not-launching-windows-store-fix/31775edb-86c8-4e07-b189-cab6eaf73644/posts

Okay sweet this worked!

Now what the hell are these graphics settings? You can only choose Original and Enhanced? You can't go and manually set anything?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, played some Firefight and Multiplayer last night. Firefight was a ton of fun! Definitely need to get some PAers together and do some more of that. The multiplayer ended up being pretty tough. The TTK in Halo is pretty high, so you have to get lots of follow up shots and track over a relatively long period of time. It's fun, but it's something I have to relearn after playing a bunch of Rainbow Six Siege where one headshot is a kill.

Also, a lot of it definitely feels like weird carryovers from being a console game. Like not being able to crouch unless you stop moving in a direction or having double zoom be hold right click for single zoom, then press z to toggle second zoom.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The real trick to Reach is hoarding the power weapons and abusing your Spartan ability to get close/away from people

https://youtu.be/FehO51N8ONo

Damn this video is nearly 10 years old lol

• Options
    edited December 2019
    having double zoom be hold right click for single zoom, then press z to toggle second zoom.
    That is super funky. On controller it's just click right stick once to zoom, and click it again to zoom further. Not sure why they wouldn't just do that with right click.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    having double zoom be hold right click for single zoom, then press z to toggle second zoom.
    That is super funky. On controller it's just click right stick once to zoom and, and click it again to zoom further. Not sure why they wouldn't just do that with right click.

Hard to "press it again" when you're holding it down to be scoped in the first place.

• Options
    That is super funky. On controller it's just click right stick once to zoom and, and click it again to zoom further. Not sure why they wouldn't just do that with right click.

Hard to "press it again" when you're holding it down to be scoped in the first place.
    Yeah, hence me saying click right click, not click and hold.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

It's not so bad. I think hold right click feels better than toggle with a mouse. But the double zoom thing is deffo weird.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Legendary isn't as rough as remembered but there are certainly some dumb encounters.

The Sabre sections are miserable because the ship is made of paper. You can't actually engage in straight combat so you need to spend a lot of time hiding and picking off solitary targets and eventually waiting for the game to give up and move onto the next section anyway.

• Options

Yeah, hence me saying click right click, not click and hold.

Pffft...who in their right mind uses toggle aim? That's like using toggle crouch (I mean, toggle crouch would take double the key presses to do that most sacred of Halo institutions: teabagging). :P

Seriously, though, I'll confess I completely forgot about the different stages of zoom on the sniper rifles. With mouse aim, I just haven't really felt the need yet for that second magnification level. Back on console land, I needed the extra headshot territory to land those...but with mouse aiming? Fuggedaboutit.

Also admittedly, I've only been playing campaign (Heroic with Mythic skull...I may have bitten a wee bit more off than I should've with the skull) and Firefight. So my experiences may be slightly skewed. And speaking of Firefight, I should remake my insta-gib settings (10% shields across the board, the only weapon is the beam rifle with unlimited charge, and the beam rifle damage at max%). And while I'm at it, make my Baygasm settings (all weapons are explosives based).

• Options
    Does the audio/sound mixing sound off to anyone in Reach? Gunshots sound super quiet and in battles everything just sort of blends like it's coming through on the same channel.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Does the audio/sound mixing sound off to anyone in Reach? Gunshots sound super quiet and in battles everything just sort of blends like it's coming through on the same channel.

Borked audio is a known issue
    , at least on PC.

• Options
    I'm on XB1X and it's definitely messed up there too.

• Options
    Heroth wrote: »
    So uh

Ugh

Okay sweet this worked!

Now what the hell are these graphics settings? You can only choose Original and Enhanced? You can't go and manually set anything?

Omfg now the game just crashes after the starting logos

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'm on XB1X and it's definitely messed up there too.

Indeed it is. Unlike PC crashing or "This game doesn't update over 60 FPS, so stop trying," this seems like a deliberate decision.

https://youtu.be/c5kCLcu8hdk?t=886

Basically, "The audio is different, so it's worse." Hard to argue with that. I'm genuinely surprised by this, as oppose to the original game's various bugs carrying over (lol@Kat's broken frame animation, just like at Xbox 360, I bet she still drives off cliffs too), since you have to imagine it's a deliberate modification maybe to compensate for how the Xbox One (and modern PCs) handle sound? This didn't appear to be an issue on the BC release of Reach on XB1.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Borked audio is a known issue
    , at least on PC.

Crap I was about to ask if anyone has the same problem and I see it's a thing. Dammit it's really hard to to enjoy the game when the background ambient noise or radio chatter is literally drowning out everything else in the game.

• Options
    Guess both a friend and I got lucky, then. We've been dumping loads of hours into the game (including a six-hour blitz through a Heroic campaign) and haven't had any of those audio issues. The only issue I had was when I muted all music in the game and discovered that it looks like 343i opted to link music and sound effect tracks during cinematics. Incidentally, that was also when I discovered that Halo: Reach's cinematics work surprisingly well to classical Christmas music.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Guess both a friend and I got lucky, then. We've been dumping loads of hours into the game (including a six-hour blitz through a Heroic campaign) and haven't had any of those audio issues. The only issue I had was when I muted all music in the game and discovered that it looks like 343i opted to link music and sound effect tracks during cinematics. Incidentally, that was also when I discovered that Halo: Reach's cinematics work surprisingly well to classical Christmas music.

heh ok that does sound pretty funny. I gotta admit the sound issue is really making it hard to enjoy the game since everything is just so drowned out. sadly based on the comment from that link it's not looking like they'll have a fix anytime soon.