As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    WSJ reporter:
    "I don't want to comment on that, but the answer is no.”—President Trump, on whether he supports the protesters in Iran.
    That is kind of weird given how much Trump hates Iran.

Edit: AP reporter:
    Trump cleans up his answer on Iran protests, says he thought question was about financial support. “We do support them totally and have supported them since the beginning”
    So just him being a fool.

It would also require him to actually do something and that would go against his dedication to the cardinal sin of sloth.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Trump is definitely not ok giving them money unless it’s taxpayer money being laundered through protestors into his own pockets

Now we might be providing money, but not with Trump’s knowledge

It’s ass-covering

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    To also add re: immunity deal, my understanding is that it was always an undisputed fact that Gallagher used his knife on the prisoner, and that the medic was administering treatment when Gallagher did so and made no attempt to prevent it - making the medic potentially accessory to murder.

In addition, other members of the team also participated in taking photos with the dead prisoner, although I believe Gallagher is the only one who posted his to social media.

Everyone present was potentially exposed to charges - a prisoner died in their care, and they celebrated the fact - so the prosecution made a deal to focus on the guy who did the stabbing.

The defense was that the prisoner was already dead when the stabbing occurred, which relied on two key pillars:

1 - The testimony of non-expert Iraqi witnesses who said he was in "a bad way" when they dropped him off. This was refuted by expert witness testimony from a second US medic who treated the prisoner for superficial leg wounds when the prisoner first arrived.

2 - That Gallagher had a reputation for macho bullshit to make himself look good. The argument was that the worst complaints about Gallagher (killing 20 people in one day, shooting unarmed women from long distance etc. ) were lies started by Gallagher himself to build a "badass" reputation, and stabbing a corpse to claim "credit" for the kill is consistent with that pattern of behaviour.

You know your defense is bad when it relies on your reputation as a lying asshole being true.

The medic's revised testimony was that Gallagher stabbed the prisoner after he was already dead from asphyxiation, which was consistent with the defense argument while at the same time being a complete surprise to the defense lawyers.

My guess is that there was no coroner's report or equivalent on cause of death which may have shown if the knife wounds were pre or post mortem. If such a report were in the works it's unlikely the defense would have relied on an "already dead" story that could have been relatively easily disproved. However, the medic is exposed to perjury charges if it does eventually turn out the prisoner wasn't dead when Gallagher stabbed him, since that wasn't part of the immunity deal.

I'm assuming that because Gallagher was found guilty on the minor charge that double jeopardy applies, so he's free and clear regardless (I believe the presidential pardon only applies to the charge for which he was convicted, not the murder charge).

IIRC the two other team members were found guilty of this were also in line to lose their tridents; one was his LT.

• Options
    Trump is definitely not ok giving them money unless it’s taxpayer money being laundered through protestors into his own pockets

Now we might be providing money, but not with Trump’s knowledge

It’s ass-covering

This actually leads into one of the more worrisome aspects of the trump presidency; it lays the groundwork for departments leaving the president out of the loop because he's too incompetent to be involved.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Lewis Lukens had worked for the State Department for 30 years.
    He was fired last year because he mentioned Barack Obama in two speeches he gave at English universities.
    Last year, just before Halloween, Lewis Lukens, the deputy chief of mission at the U.S. embassy in London, visited a pair of English universities where he spoke about the importance of international cooperation, beseeching students not to “swipe left” on the historic “special relationship” between the U.K. and America...
    ...A week later, Lukens says, his boss, the U.S. ambassador Woody Johnson, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune and a Trump political appointee, told him that he was done, firing Lukens from his post seven months ahead of when he was scheduled to leave for a new assignment. After nearly 30 years as a foreign service officer, his State Department career was over. The reason? Lukens says he had unwittingly committed a fatal error in his speech: He had mentioned former president Barack Obama.
    To open the speech, Lukens, who had worked for presidents of both parties, used an anecdote from his time as ambassador to Senegal to illustrate how allies can handle disagreements. He mentioned Obama’s 2013 visit to the country.

Viskod on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Lews Lukens had worked for the State Department for 30 years.
    He was fired last year because he mentioned Barack Obama two speeches he gave at English universities.
    Last year, just before Halloween, Lewis Lukens, the deputy chief of mission at the U.S. embassy in London, visited a pair of English universities where he spoke about the importance of international cooperation, beseeching students not to “swipe left” on the historic “special relationship” between the U.K. and America...
    ...A week later, Lukens says, his boss, the U.S. ambassador Woody Johnson, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune and a Trump political appointee, told him that he was done, firing Lukens from his post seven months ahead of when he was scheduled to leave for a new assignment. After nearly 30 years as a foreign service officer, his State Department career was over. The reason? Lukens says he had unwittingly committed a fatal error in his speech: He had mentioned former president Barack Obama.
    To open the speech, Lukens, who had worked for presidents of both parties, used an anecdote from his time as ambassador to Senegal to illustrate how allies can handle disagreements. He mentioned Obama’s 2013 visit to the country.

Well that seems like it should be grounds for a lawsuit shouldn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I’m not entirely sure if he can sue or not. Government jobs are sometimes different than civilian jobs, but even if he can, I imagine he’d have to have proof of wrongful termination.

Not that I don’t believe him of course, just that he’d need more than his word. That said, I give it even odds he was emailed directly on a public server that said, “You’re fired because you said ‘Obama’. Also here’s three other unrelated crimes we’re doing because fuck you.”

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Woody Johnson is the owner of the clown shoes operation known as the New York Jets, btw

Because having NFL owners as ambassadors is a fucking thing

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Woody Johnson is the owner of the clown shoes operation known as the New York Jets, btw

Because having NFL owners as ambassadors is a fucking thing

He's also the kind of old money dumb enough to pal around with Trump in the first place

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    He was fired last year because he mentioned Barack Obama in two speeches he gave at English universities.

Man, that whole article was interesting, but depressing as hell. Things are going to be broken for a long time even after/if the current administration is gone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Yeah it was bumming me out along those lines earlier today. A friend summed it up as "this administration will be very expensive."

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »

Man, that whole article was interesting, but depressing as hell. Things are going to be broken for a long time even after/if the current administration is gone.

And then Republicans will rail against the new leadership, fault them for everything they did themselves and get into power again. Which has been the American political cycle for the past decades

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The world is laughing at us. Trump got mad at that and decided to go home early.

After video surfaced that appeared to show the French, Canadian and British leaders mocking his long q&a sessions yesterday, Trump says his scheduled press conference is off and he’ll go directly to Washington after his meetings instead.
    Christ, this is pathetic.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Vox journalist:
    Trump on the Kurds: "We have taken the oil. I've taken the oil. We should have done it in other locations, frankly, where we were. I can name four of them right now, but we've taken the oil ... our great soldiers are right around the oil where we've got the oil."
    What are those four places?

Iraq and...?

Trump keeps on admitting to war crimes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The actual video, or at least some of it, via a CBC-run account:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Oh god, tariffs incoming. Trudeau is front and centre there.

Christ this is gonna be irritating.

shryke on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Wait until Trump remembers Canada has oil he can take.

Peak nonsense does not exist.

https://apnews.com/ce5259612b9d4cf6b15bd3ec7d0a4dd8
    2:55 p.m.

President Donald Trump has hosted a lunch for what he calls the “2%-ers.” It’s a way of honoring the nine countries in the 29-member NATO alliance that spend at least 2% of their gross domestic product on defense.

“Lunch is on me,” Trump said as he sat down with representatives of the United States, Britain, Bulgaria, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania and Romania.
    Is this supposed to accomplish anything?

• Options

President Donald Trump has hosted a lunch for what he calls the “2%-ers.” It’s a way of honoring the nine countries in the 29-member NATO alliance that spend at least 2% of their gross domestic product on defense.

“Lunch is on me,” Trump said as he sat down with representatives of the United States, Britain, Bulgaria, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania and Romania.

It's something he's obsessed with and has been for ages. It's just random Trump bullshit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's it?

Really. That's it?

Just the thinnest skin possible. Which I guess is why Trump is always so transparent.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

It might get them to drop their defense spending down to 1.99% for next year.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    He wants to sell them guns.

Edit: or, you know, missiles and tanks and planes, whatever he can hock basically.

Edit 2: Greece, Romania, and Poland to some extent have all seen some amount of political unrest and public protest as well, and Trump is notorious at this point for pursuing the grand American tradition of selling weapons to authoritarian regimes. I'm about 80 percent sure that this was the purpose of this little luncheon, is the sale of arms or negotiating arms trades. In whatever apelike and clumsy way Trump is capable of doing so.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

That's it?

Really. That's it?

Just the thinnest skin possible. Which I guess is why Trump is always so transparent.

Didn’t Trump turn up 40 mins late compared to everyone else? If he’d turned up on time rather than having a long rambling press conference perhaps people wouldn’t have had the opportunity to get together and laugh about him being 40 mins late.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    An especially stupid press conference

Try to guess which comment Trudeau said caused Trump’s aides’ jaws to drop

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    An especially stupid press conference

Try to guess which comment Trudeau said caused Trump’s aides’ jaws to drop

The oil one?

I've no idea, I'm not watching that idiot ramble for 40 minutes.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It's either gotta be the oil or the "You want some guys from ISIS? I'll give 'em to ya." line.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

That's it?

Really. That's it?

Didn’t Trump turn up 40 mins late compared to everyone else? If he’d turned up on time rather than having a long rambling press conference perhaps people wouldn’t have had the opportunity to get together and laugh about him being 40 mins late.

He's completely convinced he's the prom queen and nothing can start till he's present, so everyone else will just wait till he's done with his very important duties and can grace them with his presence.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I thought Trump was okay with Locker Room Talk?

Providing he's not the one getting shoved into the locker.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Trump does that showing up late thing often. He’s even bragged about it, calling it a “power move” or some such nonsense, because if you’re important, people will wait.

Obviously he’s too idiotic to realize how childish it is and why he’s mocked for it. Cause what he doesn’t get is that, yes, people will wait for things that are important, but the catch is if you are always late, then I guess it wasn’t really that important or else you’d put some effort in.

Donald Trump: So self-important that it’s not even worth the effort.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The thing about power moves is you do them in ways that are supposed to emphasize your strength and ideally you do them against select targets and not ~you know~ an entire coalition of allied nations. So small wonder when everyone is shit talking you for being a grandstanding moron, particularly when everyone there (yes even boris) is a real politician and is tired of dealing with your stupid shit.

Like, if you're going to do the showing up late thing, the way you'd do it is by inviting someone to the whitehouse and then make the wait ten minutes to talk to you. That lets you control the access and also is just long enough to let them know that it was intentional and might throw them off their game since they don't have enough time to recompose themselves to the posture you are effecting.

• Options
    Trump does that showing up late thing often. He’s even bragged about it, calling it a “power move” or some such nonsense, because if you’re important, people will wait.

Obviously he’s too idiotic to realize how childish it is and why he’s mocked for it. Cause what he doesn’t get is that, yes, people will wait for things that are important, but the catch is if you are always late, then I guess it wasn’t really that important or else you’d put some effort in.

Yeah, the basic problem is that everyone knows the game he's playing so instead of exerting his power over them, they mostly just think he's an idiot.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Yeah, the basic problem is that everyone knows the game he's playing so instead of exerting his power over them, they mostly just think he's an idiot.

But it triggers the "intellectual elite are laughing at us" chip on the shoulder most of his working class supporters have.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

But it triggers the "intellectual elite are laughing at us" chip on the shoulder most of his working class supporters have.

Why would it do that? Trump made them stop laughing at us remember?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well the fact that Trump is mad at Trudeau for "gossiping on camera" has made the news here.

Along with the Queen apparently scolding Princess Anne for snubbing him.

It looks like Trump being mad at people for being mean to him is now a genre.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Well the fact that Trump is mad at Trudeau for "gossiping on camera" has made the news here.

Along with the Queen apparently scolding Princess Anne for snubbing him.

It looks like Trump being mad at people for being mean to him is now a genre.

The fragile ego of the easily triggered set.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's ammusing how a terminal twitter shitter is complaining about other world leaders gossiping.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If Trump decides to annex Alberta as a response to the big boys at school being mean the troops on the ground may actually be greeted as liberators for once

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It's ammusing how a terminal twitter shitter is complaining about other world leaders gossiping.

Sad!

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

• Options

He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

Of course not, because it's clear evidence that people don't respect him and that they see right through his paper mache prestige.

Because at the end of the day, that's what matters to trump: The personal prestige that titles and properties bring to him more so then any of the details involved with those things and it has consistently lead to catastrophe with him. It happened with his family coat of arms (that violated a menagerie of laws involved with heraldry because hey check it out: those symbols and colors mean things), his airline (which he ruined by making it inaccessibly expensive for middle class people and thus found himself with virtually no customer base), his casinos (which he spent way too much on, mismanaged or sabotaged before picking a fight with local tribes) and of course the presidency (Wherein he basically has failed to do anything right and when he did it wasn't because he understood the issues at hand).

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    If Trump decides to annex Alberta as a response to the big boys at school being mean the troops on the ground may actually be greeted as liberators for once

nah

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.