As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Taken Space Cakes, Bakin' Taken Space Cakes

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    it is kind of a head scratcher for Luke Smith to announce a 'renewed focus on PVP' with the shadowkeep streams and then for PVP to get more or less nothing for two seasons

The last 2 weeks have been like an endless stream of videos from the Destiny content creator community saying exactly this.

I think everyone expected/expects Trials to be back soon, so I guess that might be a thing. But they've not really delivered on much beyond making Comp not so horrible for the lower-skill-level "I just want my Recluse" people to play.

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Did they mention if there's a Light cap increase for Season of Dawn?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    new lore:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48434

more to come in lead up to the new season.
    The Titan leapt atop the smoldering wreckage of a kit-bashed airship, a stripped-down Arcadia Class incapable of escaping orbit, and tore the Golden Age-polymer canopy right off the cockpit.

The trolling continues! "Local H Jay"

https://youtu.be/3VgufM9iLbI

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »

no mention that i noticed, nope.

no mention that i noticed, nope.

They said nothing either way, so who the fuck knows what is going on.

Really, they gave out very very little actual information.

There's a new artifact, which we knew. Scout, Pulses and Bows look to be the big thing this season.

There's a new special mod slot for the season. How this will mesh with older mods from older seasons we have no fucking clue. There's some new Charged with Light mechanic for mods.

And The Sundial is a thing you do and it's kinda random and has a hardmode.

Everything else that will go on is basically unknown.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Expecting season of undying+shadowkeep level content volume year round is insane but then again the destiny community is insane

Bungie always builds things up too much and doesn't give enough weight to how things are perceived. I think Deej said pre stream today that it'd be gamechangers. While technically correct, the best kind of correct, it still makes it seem like it'll be a big change...

Perception matters. If a lot of their stuff are reskins kitbashed or just looks like updated maps from D1 (the moon, Rusted Iron, Distant Shore), it feels like one is just buying things one had already. It DOESN'T MATTER if it actually took more effort than the same places did in D1. I can be pretty easily swayed that MORE or at the least equivalent work went into the Moon, for example, compared to the original moon.

.....but it still is the Moon and although, in the end, I really enjoyed going back to it in D2, it's not new. Even the Vex Offensive Weapons, a lot were just Curse of Osiris weapons with plants / leafs on them. Again, this isn't about effort, it's about perception. I actually love the Adhortative....but it didn't really feel new.

The bits of Shadowkeep / Undying that felt genuinely new?

The Raid (awesome). Visuals were awesome. Encounters were awesome (though I still am not a fan of the third one). Felt a little bit closer to a raid lair compared to a full Leviathan raid, but I enjoyed it more than Leviathan. A lot more.

Divinity! Too bad they've already announced it's going to be nerfed into uselessness.

Vex Offensive. Fairly small and uninteresting terrain and very repetitive. Felt like a 6 person strike that was worse than most 3 person strikes. Vex Mind Components felt completely useless given the rate one could earn them. Triumphs are stupidly grindy and actively encourage people to work against those with you. In the end, VO is terrible.

Now, add in the unfortunate fact that most people don't play the raid, but everyone can do VO.

Perception is everything.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Yeah, they also didn't mention any new Pinnacle Weapons (or Ritual Weapons or whatever we're calling them now). Maybe they'll be part of the 2.7.0 patch notes preview we're supposed to get this week.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    The r/DTG megathread is getting ratio'd:
    h2ph5wam5qve.png

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    there was nothing in there that suggests you'll have everything done in week one. between the road map mentioning 'Obelisks' and noting them unlocking in different locations at different times, to rotating bosses in the Sundial, i think its safe to say that there will be reasons to keep coming back. and that's before we get to any new lore books we'll be getting. Unveiling ends next week and i wouldn't be surprised if we get a new book that takes its place.

EDIT: hell, looking at it again, you don't even rescue Saint-14 until week two.
    I hope so! I can't really count on lore books, though, since I can just read them outside the game (which I sometimes do). Going to Eris every week for a triumph isn't really riveting content, either, although I enjoy the actual lore.

Yeah, they also didn't mention any new Pinnacle Weapons (or Ritual Weapons or whatever we're calling them now). Maybe they'll be part of the 2.7.0 patch notes preview we're supposed to get this week.

don't think they mentioned the Empyrean Foundation either, which is on the road map. new dungeon i'm guessing, marked as available to all not just season pass owners. so yeah, there's likely quite a bit that wasn't touched on during the stream. seem their focus was on what will change on day one and how that will evolve over the course of the season, without going into every single little detail.

It doesn't help that Shadowkeep was delayed so we got even less time to digest both SK and Season of Undying. It felt rushed in part because of that.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I agree with you that Bungie really struggles with managing expectations and I would also say that Deej is incomprehensibly bad at his job.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    I forgot about the Pit of Heresy.

As someone who didn't really like Pit of Heresy and rapidly tired of Shattered Throne, more dungeons makes me sigh. I despise puzzles / labyrinths / mazes haha.

Personal fault, I am very aware.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    there was nothing in there that suggests you'll have everything done in week one. between the road map mentioning 'Obelisks' and noting them unlocking in different locations at different times, to rotating bosses in the Sundial, i think its safe to say that there will be reasons to keep coming back. and that's before we get to any new lore books we'll be getting. Unveiling ends next week and i wouldn't be surprised if we get a new book that takes its place.

I hope so! I can't really count on lore books, though, since I can just read them outside the game (which I sometimes do). Going to Eris every week for a triumph isn't really riveting content, either, although I enjoy the actual lore.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/Seasons/SeasonOfDawn

road map is towards the bottom of that page(having a hard time get a decent sized image to post). it looks like things will unfold over the course of the season, like they did during Undying, but with some added variety. the exotic quests don't even kick off till January so there will definitely be stuff to come back too.

road map is towards the bottom of that page(having a hard time get a decent sized image to post). it looks like things will unfold over the course of the season, like they did during Undying, but with some added variety. the exotic quests don't even kick off till January so there will definitely be stuff to come back too.

i got u boo
    tbnwvecn6ifr.jpg

vq2TEKC.png
    Another IB with no new gear or ornaments I'm guessing

:bigfrown:

edited December 2019

I hope the season turns out awesome and better than what the initial impression is.

Intentionally gating content that could all be done in 1-7 days to last months doesn't really change what I was getting at, though.

Bizazedo on

I hope the season turns out awesome and better than what the initial impression is.

Intentionally gating content that could all be done in 1-7 days to last months doesn't really change what I was getting at, though.

that's kinda the point of the seasons though. to drive engagement over a prolonged time frame and avoid the droughts we saw in D1 and D2Y1. could they just throw a bunch of content at us next week? yeah, sure. but then everyone would be complaining that they've run out of things to do before christmas.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    It all really depends on if the sundial is good or crap

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    It all really depends on if the sundial is good or crap

looks like it will be step forward from the Vex Offensive. more variety, boss mechanics maybe being more involved/challenging. we'll need to wait and see just how different it is but i think even a small step forward should be taken as a good sign. someone mentioned Bungie's pipeline earlier and how this seems to be taken lessons learned from Menagerie, so if they were already ahead off or able to react quickly to complaints about VO then it bodes well for what's to come later in the year.

that's kinda the point of the seasons though. to drive engagement over a prolonged time frame and avoid the droughts we saw in D1 and D2Y1. could they just throw a bunch of content at us next week? yeah, sure. but then everyone would be complaining that they've run out of things to do before christmas.

We'll see how it plays out. I hope it's fine.

Separately, them basically kneecapping our power progression because the artifact is gone and telling us to grind it again is going to be....frustrating.

We'll see how it plays out. I hope it's fine.

Separately, them basically kneecapping our power progression because the artifact is gone and telling us to grind it again is going to be....frustrating.

that'll be an adjustment yeah, but we knew it was coming. and it looks like we'll get the new artifact right off the bat this time rather than having to wait till we hit level 7(or what ever it was).

that'll be an adjustment yeah, but we knew it was coming. and it looks like we'll get the new artifact right off the bat this time rather than having to wait till we hit level 7(or what ever it was).
    I don't think knowing it was coming matters. It's going to suck / be frustrating.

Also, I dunno, I at least thought the power level would increase with each season.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    There really needs to be a concentrated focus on PVP. Say what you will about weapon and class balance, there are certainly arguments for things that need addressing.
    But what I want more is some effort put into new maps and game modes. Where's my variety? Crucible feels incredibly stale. There should also be more end game rewards for people who just like PVP. Throw me some shards and prisms on valor reset.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    They could easily drop more fan favorites from D1 in than 1 map per season. And the spawn system needs a big overhaul. More/new rewards, armor sets, guns. New general crucible stuff in SK? A single ghost shell.

Also bring back Rift you cowards

edited December 2019
    Expecting season of undying+shadowkeep level content volume year round is insane but then again the destiny community is insane

Bungie always builds things up too much and doesn't give enough weight to how things are perceived. I think Deej said pre stream today that it'd be gamechangers. While technically correct, the best kind of correct, it still makes it seem like it'll be a big change...

Perception matters. If a lot of their stuff are reskins kitbashed or just looks like updated maps from D1 (the moon, Rusted Iron, Distant Shore), it feels like one is just buying things one had already. It DOESN'T MATTER if it actually took more effort than the same places did in D1. I can be pretty easily swayed that MORE or at the least equivalent work went into the Moon, for example, compared to the original moon.

.....but it still is the Moon and although, in the end, I really enjoyed going back to it in D2, it's not new. Even the Vex Offensive Weapons, a lot were just Curse of Osiris weapons with plants / leafs on them. Again, this isn't about effort, it's about perception. I actually love the Adhortative....but it didn't really feel new.

The bits of Shadowkeep / Undying that felt genuinely new?

The Raid (awesome). Visuals were awesome. Encounters were awesome (though I still am not a fan of the third one). Felt a little bit closer to a raid lair compared to a full Leviathan raid, but I enjoyed it more than Leviathan. A lot more.

Divinity! Too bad they've already announced it's going to be nerfed into uselessness.

Vex Offensive. Fairly small and uninteresting terrain and very repetitive. Felt like a 6 person strike that was worse than most 3 person strikes. Vex Mind Components felt completely useless given the rate one could earn them. Triumphs are stupidly grindy and actively encourage people to work against those with you. In the end, VO is terrible.

Now, add in the unfortunate fact that most people don't play the raid, but everyone can do VO.

Perception is everything.

But the Moon was new to many. It's cool and full of fun new stuff. Going back is part of the appeal, but it's also different with new activities.

And bringing back old good PvP maps is also good. Because we need good maps. It's PvP anyway so playing on the same map over and over again is just part of the experience anyway.

I never get the complaints about this stuff.

shryke on

It also means you don't overwhelm people with tons of shit right off the bat. For the person playing every week, this kind of schedule means you get to relax a bit and try out new things as they launch, on top of keeping players coming back frequently for new stuff.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I finished my Scout Rifle grind for Randy's Throwing Knife yesterday. Using Jade Rabbit in the Momentum playset just feels dirty-1hKOs from my damn primary! But damn if it's not effective on the right maps.

Now to scrabble for grenade launcher multikills to finally get f'in Mountaintop...

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Bungie is planning to re-add the maps they removed from PvP rotation anytime soon. I thought they were just going to be out for a season to touch up.

Arteen wrote: »
    I wonder if Bungie is planning to re-add the maps they removed from PvP rotation anytime soon. I thought they were just going to be out for a season to touch up.

I like they retired that one donut map on Mars only to replace it with the equally crappy donut map on the Tangled Shore

• lakhesislakhesis Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I know it is probably too much to hope for, but if that image of The Dawning from the roadmap ISN'T SRL then it's the troll-yest thing Bungie's done in a long time.
    ENHANCE
    c7oel5fmcpjg.jpeg

lakhesis on
    PSN: strangerfork
    I'm never getting my hopes up for SRL again

Also if we get SRL before Trials imma be mad

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular

I like they retired that one donut map on Mars only to replace it with the equally crappy donut map on the Tangled Shore

Gambler's something. That map is like half the size of a normal map.

XBL: Flex MythoMass

vq2TEKC.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

To be fair, that Tangled Shore map is just some PS4 Exclusive Garbage that you hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing, not something introduced as replacement.

Gambler's Ruin...
    7w7mc0qvsoi9.png

vq2TEKC.png
    metaghost wrote: »

To be fair, that Tangled Shore map is just some PS4 Exclusive Garbage that you hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing, not something introduced as replacement.

Both of them were PS4 exclusives actually.

Along with that tiny map in the Titan archology.

They so obviously put minimum effort into the console exclusive stuff. It's hilarious. The strikes are super barebones too.

shryke wrote: »

They so obviously put minimum effort into the console exclusive stuff. It's hilarious. The strikes are super barebones too.

Hey now, our friends on Playstation got to DUNK Hive Worms for a whole year before the rest of us. I like that strike...

vq2TEKC.png
    Vagabond wrote: »

Hey now, our friends on Playstation got to DUNK Hive Worms for a whole year before the rest of us. I like that strike...

I like a lot of both Broodhold and Lake of Shadows. But they are clearly super barebones and short. They would be great strikes if fleshed out some more I think.

But the Moon was new to many. It's cool and full of fun new stuff. Going back is part of the appeal, but it's also different with new activities.

And bringing back old good PvP maps is also good. Because we need good maps. It's PvP anyway so playing on the same map over and over again is just part of the experience anyway.

I never get the complaints about this stuff.
    I'd imagine it's because the people who complain played D1. They won't care about people it's new to. That and video games are a very visual medium, so even if an activity is different, it's "WOW HOW CONVENIENT EVERYTHING ALWAYS HAPPENS ON THE SAME SMALL BLOCK OF THE MOON."

Which is ridiculous / laughable.