As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week 01/16/08 - In which Iron Fist once again wins hard

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My shop was out of Atomic Robo again. Bastards.

Munch on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    IMAGE SPOILERS - Fat Cobra gets his mack on, and learns a valuable lesson about love:
    if12dcp0016sn2.jpg

1. Dammit. I forgot Iron Fist came out today. Must pick up ASAP.

2. As soon as I feel better, I'm making Immortal Warriors sigs so I can proudly say I AM WITH FAT COBRA.

Dude, make me one. Steel Phoenix ftw. That beatdown he put on Davos was fucking brutal.

do you mean prince of orphans?

Yes.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IMAGE SPOILERS - Fat Cobra gets his mack on, and learns a valuable lesson about love:
    if12dcp0016sn2.jpg

1. Dammit. I forgot Iron Fist came out today. Must pick up ASAP.

2. As soon as I feel better, I'm making Immortal Warriors sigs so I can proudly say I AM WITH FAT COBRA.

Dude, make me one. Steel Phoenix ftw. That beatdown he put on Davos was fucking brutal.

The plan is to make one for each of the seven Immortal Weapons.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I love how Messiah Complex is ending with all of the players in the same place - thanks to Pixie.

Fuck I love this arc.

As someone who's just reading New X-Men, these tie-in issues have been awful.

DMAC on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love how Messiah Complex is ending with all of the players in the same place - thanks to Pixie.

Fuck I love this arc.

i dont care what anyone says

i dont care what the OP says.

New X-men has completely raised the bar for how i want X-books to be read for the climax's of future arcs.
    the comic book was litarally 29 moments of the week with each of the 29 pages. not a single page slowed the pace down. insane beginning and cliffhanger ending. needless to say, the pacing that led to the ending left me feeling that X-men 207 was a solidified "buy" for next month.

this book is more than worth your money. guaranteed.

delphinus on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DMAC wrote: »

Fuck I love this arc.

As someone who's just reading New X-Men, these tie-in issues have been awful.

Well to be fair, all of the X-Titles have been hijacked for the duration of Messiah Complex. You're basically not reading New X-Men right now, just an installment of MC with the New X-Men creative team.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, that's happened with X-Factor for me too. Still, I may pick up Messiah CompleX in trades.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love how Dog Brother #1 is ready to throw down with PoO - because he won't be his friend. Oh Dog Brother!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As good as this week was, I think Davos' utter destruction was probably my favorite moment. Steel Phoenix is probably the best martial artist I think we've ever seen fight in the Marvel universe. I don't believe Shang Chi could touch him, and with his speed I don't even think Taskmaster could copy him.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As good as this week was, I think Davos' (aka Steel Phoenix) utter destruction was probably my favorite moment. Prince of Orphans is probably the best martial artist I think we've ever seen fight in the Marvel universe. I don't believe Shang Chi could touch him, and with his speed I don't even think Taskmaster could copy him.

Fixed.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For those that are still on the fence over buying IMMORTAL IRON FIST:

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    43849346dy0.jpg
    34206025ch0.jpg
    88704513uy2.jpg
    89392557iq7.jpg
    2004931449689091841_rs.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sorry, I get their names mixed up for some reason.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Je Je Je Je Je

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    th_00611_brideofninespiders_122_556lo.jpg

th_00614_dogbrother1_122_115lo.jpg

th_00615_fatcobra_122_1028lo.jpg

th_00618_ironfist_122_710lo.jpg

th_00622_princeoforphans_122_855lo.jpg

th_00644_steelserpent_122_803lo.jpg

th_00649_tigersbeautifuldaughter_122_535lo.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For those that are still on the fence over buying IMMORTAL IRON FIST

Yeah.

Okay.

That did it.

For me, there is no more fence. The fence is an idiot.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Motherfucker on a turnip truck, he did turn into mist.

God damn I could suck off Matt Fraction right here, right now.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Presumably (Upcoming IRON FIST SPECIAL spoilers)
    we'll find out that "Orson Randall versus the Green Mists of Death" is really just the first meeting between PoO and the Golden Age Iron Fist

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the Iron Fist special is in leu of IIF #13 - so the special is coming in February, and #13 is in March.

Basically.
    There was a link in the Iron Fist thread, I think, with the solicits for #13 and for the Orson special, showing that was how it was going to work.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    we'll find out that "Orson Randall versus the Green Mists of Death" is really just the first meeting between PoO and the Golden Age Iron Fist

It's like they took the kick ass IIF annual and said "hey, what can we do that would be more awesome than this?" The answer is, of course, to put Orson in it with the same dude that's the most badass motherfucker in the Capital Cities tournament.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From Marvel Comics Presents
    Setup: Ka-Zar has given all Savage land invaders an ultimatum; leave or die. The humbled invaders return to offer him an ultimatum of their own.

Kazar1-1.jpg

Kazar1-2.jpg

Kazar1-3.jpg

Cable and Deadpool
    Setup: Deadpool and pals are trying to liberate Shanna, and some powerful technology, from the Savage Land mutants.

Deadpool1-1.jpg

And after teleporting some dinosaurs into the middle of Manhattan, where they crash into a motorcade transporting the remnants of the symbiote invasion..

Deadpool1-2.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Booster Gold
    I was really suprised that they brought back Ted.

I was almost 100% sure those three beatles were Ultra-Humanite and those other two villains in deguise.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's like they took the kick ass IIF annual and said "hey, what can we do that would be more awesome than this?" The answer is, of course, to put Orson in it with the same dude that's the most badass motherfucker in the Capital Cities tournament.

God I hope they never leave this series.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm reading Iron Fist in the trades, only because I'm buying so many books already.

Don't lecture me about how I have to read Matt Fraction comics. Look at my signature god damn it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Cable and Deadpool
    [Venomsauruses]

That is just so unbelievably perfect. I am 1) upset that I didn't get to pick up comics last night (will rectify that today), and 2) going to miss this book a lot when it ends.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

God I hope they never leave this series.

There is no Immortal Iron Fist without Bru and Fraction. Seriously, who else writes Danny this well?

Hell, if Aja leaves the title (god forbid), I think that'd be a huge loss.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    For those that are still on the fence over buying IMMORTAL IRON FIST

Yeah.

Okay.

That did it.

For me, there is no more fence. The fence is an idiot.

The fence needs to fuck himself and die.

That was awesome.

Please tell me there is a trade paperback out so that I might rectify my mistake of not reading IIF from the start and I am not going to have to buy 7 single issues.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hell, yeah!

Well, there's a TPB for the first 6 issues. It is pure fucking gold.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I've gotten two more people to buy IRON FIST - I feel like I've done my good deed for the day.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hi5 jkyle and crimson. :^:

Also, you guys that are new to Iron Fist will be doing yourself a huge favor by buying Essential Iron Fist vol. 1. Not only do you get good background on Iron Fist, it's a great run and a hell of a deal to boot.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As good as this week was, I think Davos' (aka Steel Phoenix) utter destruction was probably my favorite moment. Prince of Orphans is probably the best martial artist I think we've ever seen fight in the Marvel universe. I don't believe Shang Chi could touch him, and with his speed I don't even think Taskmaster could copy him.

Fixed.

Firstly I don't see how we can have any gauge on how powerful POO really is. So.. how do you know?

Secondly, does that even count as fighting? He turned into mist and like... ruined Steel Phoenix's shit. I don't think that's fighting. That's magic. I feel like when you turn into fuckin mist it's not martial arts anymore. I don't know why but somehow what POO did seems to cross a line that Steel Phoenix Blow (First Execution), Sumo Thunder Stomp and the Black Milk of Hell don't seem to. Anyone else feel this way?

Also for those still on the fence about which Iron Fist sig to use (Thanks Crimsondude for the cool sigs):
    6xhgo6v.jpg

valiance on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey uh
    It's all magic, really.
    Didn't Bride of Nine Spiders shoot fucking spiders out of herself?
    Pretty sure that doesn't count as martial arts.

Same thing with what Davos did last month during his fight with the hand and all.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    Booster Gold
    I was really suprised that they brought back Ted.

I was almost 100% sure those three beatles were Ultra-Humanite and those other two villains in deguise.
    I don't think they were the Beatles, but I'm not 100% convinced those were the real Beetles either. :D It seems like the Jamie Reyes Beetle threw out a hint that he wasn't the real thing; he quoted a literary reference, which Booster noted was out of character.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    From Marvel Comics Presents
    Setup: Ka-Zar has given all Savage land invaders an ultimatum; leave or die. The humbled invaders return to offer him an ultimatum of their own.

Kazar1-1.jpg

Kazar1-2.jpg

Kazar1-3.jpg

Cable and Deadpool
    Setup: Deadpool and pals are trying to liberate Shanna, and some powerful technology, from the Savage Land mutants.

Deadpool1-1.jpg

And after teleporting some dinosaurs into the middle of Manhattan, where they crash into a motorcade transporting the remnants of the symbiote invasion..

Deadpool1-2.jpg
    There should really be a sound effect for *DINOSAUR!*

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, New X-Men MC.

This is how you do a crossover.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    valiance wrote: »

Fixed.

Firstly I don't see how we can have any gauge on how powerful POO really is. So.. how do you know?

Secondly, does that even count as fighting? He turned into mist and like... ruined Steel Phoenix's shit. I don't think that's fighting. That's magic. I feel like when you turn into fuckin mist it's not martial arts anymore. I don't know why but somehow what POO did seems to cross a line that Steel Phoenix Blow (First Execution), Sumo Thunder Stomp and the Black Milk of Hell don't seem to. Anyone else feel this way?

Also for those still on the fence about which Iron Fist sig to use (Thanks Crimsondude for the cool sigs):
    6xhgo6v.jpg

Dude, he beat Davos like he stole something with no effort. Davos just barely lost to Danny in the first arc, though Danny fully rested probably could take Davos without too many problems. Tell me another martial artist in the Marvel universe that can probably beat up Danny with only slightly more effort than he did to Davos. And yeah, the green mist counts as martial arts, just like the the different Iron Fists used the ki of Shou-loa to do seemingly magical things.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I love that "everyone sitting at their lunch tables" spread. Even though Crane Mother's table is tiny, you can still see Davos sitting their in all his douche glory.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    Well, kicking Davos' ass up one side of the arena and down another is a pretty good metric, especially when compared to his beat-down of TBD, and him being of equivalent power to Iron Fist (being his archnemesis and all).
    Not really. Well, not in any fictional depiction of magic I can think of. What he did was turn into mist, but still retained sufficient control over his body to physically strike Davos about the head and body until he was knocked out. It was still fighting, even if it wasn't two "proper" humanoids going one on one.

Fat Cobra took out several shaolin terror monks using the Sumo Thunder Stomp. He didn't physically touch them, but I'd still call that a martial arts blow. Especially since we're using crazy Chinese martial arts rules.

Outside of that, PoO is Amazing Man in all but name (for legal reasons). Amazing Man was a crazy badass martial artist (Which is the whole reason Bru and Frac wanted to use him, besides being according to Frac one of the base inspirations for Iron Fist). That he turns to green mist doesn't detract from that fact.

Oh, God. I want that Orson/Green Mist One-Shot now!
    6xhgo6v.jpg

If I was an elitist asshole, I'd say that if someone has never read those pages before now, then I don't want them using my sigs.

IF I was an elitist asshole.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Incredible Herc #113 - Ares: "I AM SORRY, TEAMMATE WONDER MAN! I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF RETURNING FIRE!"
    I agree.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Outside of that, PoO is Amazing Man in all but name (for legal reasons). Amazing Man was a crazy badass martial artist (Which is the whole reason Bru and Frac wanted to use him, besides being according to Frac one of the base inspirations for Iron Fist).

That's very cool.

DMAC on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Atomic Robo was awesome again this month.
    He has a flashback to when he went on a mission to Mars for Nasa. He requested a bunch of books to keep himself from going insane on the year long trip and the Nasa guys only packed 5 books. Apparently Stephen Hawking (yes the real one) told Nasa he did a pysch evaluation on Robo and told them he could just go in hibernation mode, which Robo does not have. So, after a year long trip of nearly going insane, he lands on Mars and devotes the entire time for the mission to collecting rocks and spelling out "STEPHEN HAWKING IS A BASTARD" in huge letters viewable from space.

Also, seeing 'Mr Edison" trying to assassinate Dr Tesla's Atomic Robot in the backup tale was pretty fucking funny.

Wait is this the one by the dude who does 8-Bit theater? The characeter his CoH character was based off of?

Bucketman on