As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there any source on these rumours? This all sounds like 'I heard that someone said they saw someone say it on reddit' level stuff.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there any source on these rumours? This all sounds like 'I heard that someone said they saw someone say it on reddit' level stuff.

Apparently some new inaccessible steam achievements have been added similar to what happened with Borderlands 2 a few months ago

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It would be really weird for them to give up on the RE Engine, when it seems like a really good engine that they've been making great use of.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    RE2 was on sale digitally for around $19US on Xbox so I finally picked it up. Good looking game, especially on XB1X--as expected, there are a few hangovers from the classic Capcom adventure game era that I'm not a huge fan of ("Here's a safe. The combination is stuck on a wall in a completely different room that you won't reach for another fifteen minutes.") but guides can avert a lot of those.

Oh man if they ever got rid of those I think I'd be done with the RE games. I absolutely love wandering around and spotting something on the locker or wall or something and using that in a previous safe.

I didn't particularly enjoy those even when they were new (I played the original RE1 in the PC release), but I was fine to tolerate them since games like Little Big Adventure and so forth were reliant on less-inane versions of the same fundamental formula. Dark Forces was particularly bad, to the point where Jedi Outcast even mocks itself for it.

RE2 is sort of in the middle, between LBA2 and SW:DF. Not my cup of tea even back when it was "the game", but it's easily remedied.

Nah that's absolutely fair. It's just honestly one of my favorite parts about these kinds of games. I like the whole "see something you can't complete, come back when you have more info/upgrades/etc" gameplay. Things like Metroid and RE really hit that sweet spot for me and I can't really explain why.

The other benefit of the Resident Evil system is that it's not randomized. So you have a more puzzle-y aspect early on, but later you can zoom through things through memorization. Or cheat sheets.

But I'd still like a loot randomizer. Possibly also a puzzle randomizer.

Yes, I'd be a lot more pissed off if safe combinations, etc., were randomized every time. A large portion of the puzzles by their very nature can't be randomized, or randomized easily, which I appreciate.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Its possible that some other team has been working on R3make in parallel. They may well have started a year ago or more. That would explain both the fast turnaround and using a different engine. Hopefully the R2make team is moving on to Code Veronica, the true RE3 before Sony butted in and made them change the title.

R4make is tricky because while the graphics could use some updating, the gameplay not as much. The whole point of R2make was bringing back the feel of the old games while ditching tank controls and bad camera angles. None of that paradigm applies to RE4 and later.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Apparently some new inaccessible steam achievements have been added similar to what happened with Borderlands 2 a few months ago

I know what they're for.

"I wish Vergil was playable."
    tumblr_inline_otkg77tVh81sqsi20_500.gifv

Viskod on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    All trace of it appears deleted, apologies! It's likely bullshit, but I can see how conjecture gets you there; this has to have been in development in tandem with RE2make, so two teams, and one isn't familiar with REngine, and then and then and then...

Oh brilliant
  • XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Considering how much Capcom is using the RE engine right now, I would be shocked if RE3make did not use it too. It seems to be a relatively versatile engine, and I expect RE3make will take a lot of cues from RE2make in its design. This is even more likely if the projects were worked on in tandem and the teams had some level of cross talk going on.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    RE4 could us some work in other areas outside of gameplay. AI has come a long way since Ashley Burke. They could update her to be more believable, and less of a hindrance. I'm talking specifically about AI as a hindrance, not her role in the game. Since her role in the game is that of someone who is fairly helpless and incapable of defending herself against zombies and cultists, it's fine if they keep her in that role. But sometimes her AI made the game more difficult than it should have been because she didn't behave smartly or realistically or logically.

Of course, I also think if they were to completely rebuild the world in the REngine, it would be glorious. That first level, where you're in the spooky village, that village would be absolutely terrifying with modern lighting effects, proper shadows, maybe a bit of haze or fog, and general engine improvements.

Also. Yes, RE4 revolutionized 3rd person action games in it's time. And RE4 basically is the grandfather of the modern action game. But by today's standards, even RE4 has a fairly archaic control scheme that could stand to be updated a bit. It could be more smooth and fluid. Buttons need to be remapped to be more modern. And so forth.

In summary, I would love a full blown REngine remake of RE4 and I think it would be a delight.

4 doesn't need much tbh. Maybe streamline some of the back tracking and remove the QTE stuff.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Xerink wrote: »
    Considering how much Capcom is using the RE engine right now, I would be shocked if RE3make did not use it too. It seems to be a relatively versatile engine, and I expect RE3make will take a lot of cues from RE2make in its design. This is even more likely if the projects were worked on in tandem and the teams had some level of cross talk going on.

I guess it might come down to how soon those images were leaked. Most of the time, you see leaked cover art pretty close to the release of the game. If that's the case and RE3make will be out next year, they are most likely using the RE Engine. If for some reason those are draft images and the game is 2+ years away, then they may be using a newer engine based around the PS5/Xboxnext.

Having a different team work on it does make a ton of sense though. Even with the same engine and some re-used art assets, cranking it out in 1-2 year time frame is impressive (or terrible if it's been non-stop crunch).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    RE3 is expected to be announced at the 2019 game awards actually. They might open preorders around that time. Not quite releasing this year but it can't be too far off.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah the original art leak is from a PSN scrape so it's likely an announcement at the Keighleys and "preorder now!!" for some time in 2020.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest. That leaked art looks like ass.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Turn on your monitor.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Turn on your monitor.

Ok. I agree with Zero but this is the funniest comment I think I've ever seen on here.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Turn on your monitor.

Ok. I agree with Zero but this is the funniest comment I think I've ever seen on here.

Quite rare to see a burn 'round these parts.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ha. The art is still shitty, though. Not what I would expect from the RE2 team. It looks like a crappy direct to dvd CG animated movie.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Also. Yes, RE4 revolutionized 3rd person action games in it's time. And RE4 basically is the grandfather of the modern action game. But by today's standards, even RE4 has a fairly archaic control scheme that could stand to be updated a bit.

I...don't think this is actually true. To start, Max Payne beat Resident Evil 4 by almost a full four years (though it didn't come to Gamecube, it was still on Xbox and Playstation 2). It's not the first third person shooter/action game, but its controls and gameplay were much more widely emulated than RE4 was.

RE4 revolutionized Resident Evil games, to be sure. RE5 and RE6 (and Revelations, etc.) are basically refinements of the same formula (including those that actually make them more like what Max Payne did in 2001). But Max Payne should have a stronger claim to being a "grandfather of a genre".

Note--I'm not claiming Max Payne is a better game than Resident Evil 4 in the RE thread. I don't even necessarily believe that. But between the control scheme, shooting and moving mechanics, and slow-motion bullet-time, I'm pretty sure one was much more widely emulated and set the pace for a genre. Resident Evil 4....mostly seemed to inspire other RE games. Max Payne basically set the stage for everything until Gears of War, and even some of the things it did were not new to it.

edited December 2019
    Being the first to do it doesn't make it the game to 'revolutionize' something. There's a reason Gears is held to have ushered in the cover-based shooter, even when it wasn't the first to do it (I think that was Payback? edit: nope, it was Kill. Switch. Which I had to look up, which proves my point). I don't think Halo invented regenerating health/two weapon swapping, either. Max Payne was kinda popular, but RE4 blew that out of the water, so it's what a lot more people based their expectations on.

Anyway, I just don't believe that they're using a whole different engine for RE3. Different team, sure. I don't know how they're structured, maybe the RE2 devs are working on 8 or something. But what possible reason would they have to re-invent the wheel here?

klemming on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Regenerating health is one of the worst things to ever happen to gaming. Yeah, I said it. Fight me!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Yeah, I know I love getting stuck in hopeless fights because I had 15 health when I hit a checkpoint.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    OG RE3 has randomized puzzles and it makes speedruns hell

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I want a randomized RE2make or RE3make.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

It also made replays of the game a lot more entertaining since you A) didn't know *exactly* what was going to be in place, perfectly, all the time and B) because you also had the option to pick up story items in a different order, which gave you different cutscenes and mini-scenarios. Similarly, you had the instant choice system (usually involving Nemesis) that also affects how things play out.

Of the original games, I easily played RE3 the most for these reasons.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I played RE3 the most because it had tons of fun costumes.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    It was all about those epilogues, baby

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

It also made replays of the game a lot more entertaining since you A) didn't know *exactly* what was going to be in place, perfectly, all the time and B) because you also had the option to pick up story items in a different order, which gave you different cutscenes and mini-scenarios. Similarly, you had the instant choice system (usually involving Nemesis) that also affects how things play out.

Of the original games, I easily played RE3 the most for these reasons.

Yeah; I like how the randomization of answers works out mostly. The rough one from a speedrun sense is the randomized rewards. If the magnum's in the STARS office instead of the grenade launcher? that's a reset, baby

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    You can solve that my having the option to set a seed manually. Which seems to have become a more common thing in games as well.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

everyone's complaining about the teeth but they're fine. the nose is what fuckin sucks

also i miss the big seamline with the staples going all the way around, they just stuck like 3 or 4 staples in the middle of his forehead and called it a day

uc3ufTB.png
    edited December 2019
    Being the first to do it doesn't make it the game to 'revolutionize' something. There's a reason Gears is held to have ushered in the cover-based shooter, even when it wasn't the first to do it (I think that was Payback? edit: nope, it was Kill. Switch. Which I had to look up, which proves my point). I don't think Halo invented regenerating health/two weapon swapping, either. Max Payne was kinda popular, but RE4 blew that out of the water, so it's what a lot more people based their expectations on.

Anyway, I just don't believe that they're using a whole different engine for RE3. Different team, sure. I don't know how they're structured, maybe the RE2 devs are working on 8 or something. But what possible reason would they have to re-invent the wheel here?

True. I just don't think RE4 "revolutionized" it either just because it was more popular--it did some things very well, but I don't think that makes it "revolutionary" to a genre that did those things before hand. It just did something well enough that the subsequent RE games all chased a similar goal. The game doesn't need to be grandfather of anything--aside from the very obvious sequels that refined the same formula--to be very good.

Synthesis on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    RE4 had the best controls of any non first party Nintendo game on the Wii. Those controls were butter, and I hope they get them right if a remake comes to Switch.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    RE4 had the best controls of any non first party Nintendo game on the Wii. Those controls were butter, and I hope they get them right if a remake comes to Switch.

2 Remake was a pretty good adaption of 4s controls. I think they could do it right

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There are things you can do to improve RE4. Tempering the cheese for RE2's back to black style of horror would be OK, plus the most memorable location in RE4 is the opening one. They could definitely tighten some of that stuff up.

Capt Howdy wrote: »

2 Remake was a pretty good adaption of 4s controls. I think they could do it right

Being able to side-step/strafe (though not while firing) in RE2 makes it more like RE5, but then again, RE5 is a sort of modernization of RE4's controls in turn, I'd argue. If RE2 came out on a motion-control focused platform, using the RE4 control scheme missing that ability might make more sense.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    There are things you can do to improve RE4. Tempering the cheese for RE2's back to black style of horror would be OK, plus the most memorable location in RE4 is the opening one. They could definitely tighten some of that stuff up.

The cheese is the best part of RE4!

Also, having played both RE4 and Metal Gear Solid 1 this year, I was kind of struck by how similar their endings are. Leon/Snake in the back of a vehicle firing on enemies while Meryl/Ashley drives, followed by Leon/Snake and Meryl/Ashley (spoiled just in case)
    riding off into the sunset across the snow/water on a jet/water ski.
    The order of those events is different, but both had those same sequences.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'd prefer a reduction of cheesiness. The tone and horror of RE2-R is pretty much spot on for what I want from the entire series.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'd prefer a reduction of cheesiness. The tone and horror of RE2-R is pretty much spot on for what I want from the entire series.

I know it's Capcom and all, but I wouldn't miss not having to hear Luis Sera talk about Ashley's "ballistics." Hayabusa or Dante worked fine without having to give the side-eye to Rachel or Trish about their "ballistics."

What I really meant is that classic RE is true RE, and RE:2 finally made it compatible with modern technology. So just make all future RE games like that forever more and forget this silly high speed shooter stuff. The end.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I liked the cheese, but I also enjoy cheesy B-horror films.

This discussion has been closed.